Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: P90X = Very Cool [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I google image surfed Maren and couldn't find any naked picks...speaking of naked chick weightlifters have you ever seen what the steroids do to their vajayjays, it's freakish.
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you are saying that you believe all these studies that are done in only a few months?, the researchers are living in a dreamworld if they think they can gain conclusions from such a short study. Imagine if they worked in the medical field testing drugs for just a few months to see the effects, we all would be dead.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris Mccormack " I gain much more benefit out of yoga and core work than anything I can build in the gym, and with time my training moved in this direction." hmm flexibility and core work. I wonder where I heard that before.

Chris Carmichael "A strong core will help you get into a neutral, horizontal body position and eliminate dragging the lower half of your body through the water. It will also ensure that you maintain your position on the bike and allow for efficient transfer of power to the pedals. A stable torso will help you maintain your pelvis in a neutral position, which will allow you to maximize your stride length."

Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [Rufus T.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maren Beautte.

We're talking some DVDA stuff...

NSFW!!!
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [yme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So you are saying that you believe all these studies that are done in only a few months?, the researchers are living in a dreamworld if they think they can gain conclusions from such a short study. Imagine if they worked in the medical field testing drugs for just a few months to see the effects, we all would be dead.

No, I believe that these studies confirm what is seen in the real world: cycling speed is correlated with endurance, not strength. Reference my question to you about 4000m pursuiters.

Are you Frank Day?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [TRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am on week 11 of P90X. I started it last winter but broke my elbow and had to stop.
I think it is a great fitness activity. By that I mean if general conditioning, strength, flexibility are you limiters- it will help you. May also help someone who needs to lose a few pounds to do that (though weight is better controlled through diet than training). Probably good for people who live in a true winter climate with a true off-season
But it will hurt your cycling in terms of power output (at least in short run) and probably do the same to running and swimming. I am noticing my climbing power to be down by 5-10% this winter.
I attribute that to spending 5+ hours doing strength work that really stresses my muscles- P90X keeps you moving and engaged the eintire workout.
Previous winters I would do gym twice per week for maybe 1 hour per session- and not getting near as much work in as during a P90X session.
So- has it helped me in terms of cycling performance? No- at least not yet. Do I look Like Scotsman Willy on the Simpsons when I tear open my shirt and show some muscle?- yes I do.
I think I could have made way bigger strength and muscle gains if I had not been increasing my cycling at the same time.
Do I suggest doing it? As I said it depends on what is holding you back. I do suggest chilling out on the other sports. Continue to ride, run, and/or swim but realize that they will take a back seat until P90X is over for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Chris Carmichael "A strong core will help you get into a neutral, horizontal body position and eliminate dragging the lower half of your body through the water. It will also ensure that you maintain your position on the bike and allow for efficient transfer of power to the pedals. A stable torso will help you maintain your pelvis in a neutral position, which will allow you to maximize your stride length."

What a crock. How about "Sufficient time in the water will help you get into a neutral, horizontal body position..."? Phelps became a world class swimmer not by developing a strong core out of the water, but by swimming a bazillion yards before he hit puberty. You're really citing CC as an expert on swimming?

"Efficient transfer of power"? Seriously? Go look at some of those 100km+ breakaways in the TdF, and note how many guys can ride at 40kph+ for hours with their arms draped on the top of their bars, not even bothering to hold onto anything. Again: the power requirements in cycling are so low as to need no steenkin' power transfer.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [eigner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Time between pictures? And besides training I assume you must have changed diet aswell?

The time between pictures is approximately 10 months, but one sequence of P90X. I followed the workout and nutrition guide perfectly, and had great results. Thanks for all the encouraging words!

I am now really in tune with what types of foods work well for my body, and which ones are "rocket fuel" that will spike my blood sugar and cause me to crash. I never knew that before P90X.

However, the one aspect of the program that is often overlooked is its ability to teach the user to REALLY push themselves. I had been involved in cycling and triathlon for 4 years in my "before" picture and always did ok. However, I really learned to push myself harder than I ever thought I could through the P90X workouts.

Additionally, when I really start to suffer, I tell myself "you can do anything for 30 seconds" as motivation (*excerpt from one of the videos*).

I must admit though, that I am not a fan of lifting weights and P90X to improve performance in triathlon by gaining muscular strength. I think the true benefit (as most have mentioned) is from better body composition, stretching and flexibility, and learning about "how" to eat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man I should get a hold of Lance and tell him to cut out the weights.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Man I should get a hold of Lance and tell him to cut out the weights.

You are a couple of years late. When Armstrong resumed his pro cycling career after retiring, he dropped the lifting. Just ask Bruyneel:

Quote:
"At the end of 2008, when he started to train again, he was a retired athlete who wanted to stay in shape, stay fit, and he did a lot of different disciplines," Bruyneel said. "One of them was weightlifting. It makes you look good at the beach, but it's not the best for a bike rider.
"Since he started to race, he (hasn't) lifted weights anymore, but of course losing muscle takes a long time."

Go figure.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suggest? That's the best they can do? No wonder nobody believes these studies.

Careful science v. confident infomercial. Guess who looses?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ken, you said it, a bazillion meters, miles, what ever, of course you can adapt with all that time, but guess what, no one on this forum has a bazillion hours, with the exception of a few pros. You are now thinking that you know more then the elite coaches of the world?, or pro tri competitors?, come one, now you are losing any credibility that you might have had.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ken, you said it, a bazillion meters, miles, what ever, of course you can adapt with all that time, but guess what, no one on this forum has a bazillion hours, with the exception of a few pros. You are now thinking that you know more then the elite coaches of the world?, or pro tri competitors?, come one, now you are losing any credibility that you might have had.

You win.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Klehner,

Clearly you are missing the point. CC doesn't say swimming a gazillion laps will not make for a better swimmer, he is stating, pretty obviously, that having a stronger core will help you achieve a better position. It will also help in the rotation phase of the swim. Oh and since you brought up Phelps lets see what he has to say.

"I'm also doing a couple of boxing exercises that work more on my core body strength but also (replicate) movements I would have in the pool."

The boxing exercises, he says, help him improve his form, tempo and muscle memory. "You have to really use your hips and your whole body to get everything into it," he says.

His goal is improvement in his core body strength. "Your core has to be so much stronger," he says. "The only way to really get that is trying different exercises and keeping things more interesting and more exciting. That's the only way you're going to get better."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes it makes so much more sense to do something that phelps is doing to gain that extra .01 percent, than doing the 99.99 percent that got him to the point where he needs that .01 percent. Which hmmm let me think here is probably SWIMMING!
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The thing is you can do both. I am not talking P90X now, just core and flexibility training. The people who do, probably are in better shape and get injured less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

If you cannot do a bazillion miles, you should at least do as much as you can (relatively speaking, in order to increase performance).

Which do you think will get you closest to the results you would be able to get from a "bazillion" miles:

Xmiles+core/p90x

OR

Xmiles+more miles

?

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Instagram: @thephysiojoe
Cycling coach, Elite racer on Wooster Bikewerks p/b Wootown Bagels
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [IM_SOAR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Maren Beautte.

We're talking some DVDA stuff...

NSFW!!!

YIKES!!!, lol

I think perhaps she went on the PX90 cause she NEEDED to tighten up her core....

and by core I mean sphincter
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [E-bolah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PS most chicks like a dude with some muscles and life in general is a contact sport, maybe one day you have to protect yourself or your loved ones

some overall badassedness is a good thing in my book, but wtf do I know?
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'Which do you think will get you closest to the results you would be able to get from a "bazillion" miles:

Xmiles+core/p90x

OR

Xmiles+more miles'

Well, lets take cycling for instance, I think that 90-120 minutes of core and strength work per week is going to go a lot further then adding only 90-120 minutes extra time to ride training when you are already riding 12-20 hours per week like most dedicated cyclists are doing. Why do you think Chris Charmichel and other coaches preach that. Not really that hard to undrstand I do not think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
'Which do you think will get you closest to the results you would be able to get from a "bazillion" miles:

Xmiles+core/p90x

OR

Xmiles+more miles'

Well, lets take cycling for instance, I think that 90-120 minutes of core and strength work per week is going to go a lot further then adding only 90-120 minutes extra time to ride training when you are already riding 12-20 hours per week like most dedicated cyclists are doing. Why do you think Chris Charmichel and other coaches preach that. Not really that hard to undrstand I do not think.

Key word: "I think." Who was it that was criticizing the research as not being confident? Just merely thinking something, without any evidence, surely is worse.

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Quote Reply
Re: P90X = Very Cool [Physiojoe925] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xmiles+core/p90x

OR

Xmiles+more miles'

Well, lets take cycling for instance, I think that 90-120 minutes of core and strength work per week is going to go a lot further then adding only 90-120 minutes extra time to ride training when you are already riding 12-20 hours per week like most dedicated cyclists are doing. Why do you think Chris Charmichel and other coaches preach that. Not really that hard to undrstand I do not think.[/reply]

Key word: "I think." Who was it that was criticizing the research as not being confident? Just merely thinking something, without any evidence, surely is worse.

-Physiojoe[/reply]

OK, you got me on that one, I will change that from 'I think' to Chris Charmichel and other elite coaches say it to be true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a little challenge, given my alleged ignorance on this subject, quantify the muscles invoked in "core" strength, how do we quantify that the core is weak and how do we really train said core muscles?

This should be interesting.

As for pro athlete or coach endorsement... hell there are those that endorse Powerbands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You are now thinking that you know more then the elite coaches of the world?, or pro tri competitors?, come one, now you are losing any credibility that you might have had.

Paulo is an elite tri coach. What is his opinion of strength training as something that benefits endurance training? Andy Coggan is a leading exercise physiologist and elite cyclist, though not a coach. What does Dr. Coggan think of strength training as an aid to endurance performance?

A better question for you to ask yourself than what Ken thinks he knows or doesn't know relative to CC is "which one is trying to get you to pay money for his ideas?".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

OK, you got me on that one, I will change that from 'I think' to Chris Charmichel and other elite coaches say it to be true.

I'll just end this by saying that I'll follow scientific evidence and you can follow a few coaches subjective opinions.

Wanna talk elite coaches? Aldo Sassi's athletes included Basso, Evans, Rogers, Cioni, etc.

"I think that all strength training for the legs should be done on the bike."- Sassi, (RIP).

-Physiojoe

-Physiojoe
Quote Reply

Prev Next