Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
P5 versus the BMC Time Machine
Quote | Reply
Torn between these two bikes. What's your vote an why?
Quote Reply
Re: P5 versus the BMC Time Machine [oschweidler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bmc, because, well, you can actually get one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
The Scott is much faster than the BMC.

The P5 is faster than the Scott Plasma Premium.
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Jan 10, 13 19:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P5 - definitely top notch aerodynamically, has spot for Di2 battery. has UCI legal or illegal options. Aduro aerobar is super integrated and awesome but difficult to adjust if your position is not already dialed in. Don't have to use that bar though. Hydraulic brakes are pretty awesome, aerodynamically and braking wise.

BMC - EDIT: also has an internal spot for the DI2 battery! aerodynamic palmares a bit unknown but probably good. (As far as I know) - unique looks, integrated brakes difficult to adjust, problematic with wide wheels. Crank has to be removed sometimes to adjust rear brake.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Jan 11, 13 5:57
Quote Reply
Re: P5 versus the BMC Time Machine [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
prattzc wrote:
'
haha, good point. unless you are a 56, then you can get a p5 =)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the BMC. Looks better and you won't be another Cervelo spode rolling around out there. It's definitely aero enough and the P5 isn't much faster of a bike. You are splitting nut hairs at this point. Your legs do the work and your positioning on the bike that is key.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 versus the BMC Time Machine [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
prattzc wrote:

'
haha, good point. unless you are a 56, then you can get a p5 =)

There is a 58 P5-Six at my local shop just calling my name... Honestly I think they built it to taunt me into buying it. If anyone is looking for a P5 in 58, ping me. I can put you in touch with the shop.
Quote Reply
Re: P5 versus the BMC Time Machine [motoxxx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoxxx wrote:
It's definitely aero enough and the P5 isn't much faster of a bike. You are splitting nut hairs at this point.

Oh good so you have seen a yaw sweep comparison of both with a reasonable testing protocol?

Please do post it!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
motoxxx wrote:
It's definitely aero enough and the P5 isn't much faster of a bike. You are splitting nut hairs at this point.

Oh good so you have seen a yaw sweep comparison of both with a reasonable testing protocol?

Please do post it!

Listen here Mr. Cervelo lover, who gives a crap. The BMC looks better and being on the P5 isn't much faster, you are splitting hairs. That is my opinion. So take your biased ass yaw sweep comparison with "reasonable testing protocols" mumbo jumbo and shove it up your ass. I'm just talking shit by the way, but seriously. I ride a SC and could give too shits about a P5. I'm not going to be any faster because of the bike, its just hype and wasted money...I learned the hard way being ignorant when i laid down all the cash for my SC. Now confidence is another thing if you think you are on one of the fastest bikes I'm sure it helps some. I would have rather bought a cheaper bike and focused on being more aero in the cockpit and strengthening my legs. So back to the BMC or P5, get the BMC it looks bitchin. Is all about the rider, not the bike so get what looks sick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Jan 10, 13 21:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I changed from a QR Cd0.1 to a BMC TM0.1 and my times dropped quite a lot straight away. Dropped about 12 minutes on my IM split on a comparable day year on year (4.50 to 4.37).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to go with the BMC, get it with Di2 because otherwise the shifting is going to be TERRIBLE. When the cover gets placed, it pushes the cables into pretty awkward shapes and results in some pretty wonky shifting. The brakes are a nightmare with this bike however.

The P5 shifts a little nicer and has better brakes. I only have 2 concerns about the P5: (1) Actually getting one and (2) Adjusting your fit. The Aduro bar is VERY nice, but if your fit is not dialed in properly, small adjustments can be troublesome.

Check with your shop on the availability of the P5 and see if you can actually find one. If you can I'd highly recommend buying it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a reason why so many Cervelos are in the transition.
Its a good brand.
And if you'll "be another Cervelo P5 spode rolling around out there" despite the price & delay...
It must be a great bike.

Not trashing the BMC,love its new clean fork.
But as you said...its your legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guy riding a speed concept pretending to not care about aerodynamics...

classic!

so spending money on your speed concept prevented you from focusing on being more aero in the cockpit and strengthening your legs?

does it cost money to strengthen the legs??

You might be right that the difference between the BMC and P5 is small. I just don't know yet.

motoxxx wrote:
jackmott wrote:
motoxxx wrote:

Please do post it!

Listen here Mr. Cervelo lover, who gives a crap. The BMC looks better and being on the P5 isn't much faster, you are splitting hairs. That is my opinion. So take your biased ass yaw sweep comparison with "reasonable testing protocols" mumbo jumbo and shove it up your ass. I'm just talking shit by the way, but seriously. I ride a SC and could give too shits about a P5. I'm not going to be any faster because of the bike, its just hype and wasted money...I learned the hard way being ignorant when i laid down all the cash for my SC. Now confidence is another thing if you think you are on one of the fastest bikes I'm sure it helps some. I would have rather bought a cheaper bike and focused on being more aero in the cockpit and strengthening my legs. So back to the BMC or P5, get the BMC it looks bitchin. Is all about the rider, not the bike so get what looks sick.

Quote Reply
Re: P5 versus the BMC Time Machine [avagoyamug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avagoyamug wrote:
I changed from a QR Cd0.1 to a BMC TM0.1 and my times dropped quite a lot straight away. Dropped about 12 minutes on my IM split on a comparable day year on year (4.50 to 4.37).

This would imply a 260 gram difference in drag between the QR Cd0.1 and the BMC which is probably impossible. unless the QR is really bad, and I Doubt it is. If you had power files and exacting setup sepcs that would help the analysis a lot ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
260 gram difference

Must report in CdA, come on!
Last edited by: Nick_Barkley: Jan 10, 13 21:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
Guy riding a speed concept pretending to not care about aerodynamics...

classic!

so spending money on your speed concept prevented you from focusing on being more aero in the cockpit and strengthening your legs?

does it cost money to strengthen the legs??

You might be right that the difference between the BMC and P5 is small. I just don't know yet.

motoxxx wrote:
jackmott wrote:
motoxxx wrote:

Please do post it!

LOL, duuuuude. If I had to do it over again I wouldn't have bought my SC...it was my first Tri bike (I'm retarded what I can say). It's a nice bike, but I got a 9 series and I spent too much money. I would say spending around $5k would have been better for me and guess what I wouldn't have been any slower. Oh well, live and learn. I still spent time focusing on getting aero in my cockpit on my SC regardless and strengthening my legs was free (training a lot on the bike with a good plan). You've taught me some things about being aero, so I respect your opinion. However, you will always be a Cervelo lover, which is fine too. Later
Quote Reply
Re: P5 versus the BMC Time Machine [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The shifting on the front end of the TM01 is very finnicky... A couple nice tips are to run the Bontrager RXXXL brake levers as they have the integrated barrel adjuster on the end of the lever. Also use nokon with the smaller beads for the rear d for any super tight kinks for the front end shifting (or aztec, etc)
Quote Reply
Re: P5 versus the BMC Time Machine [spandexboy817] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ive had my TM01 over a year and have never had any issues with shifting performance. Shifts better than my P2 did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I was surprised it was so much faster too. I thikn the seat post clamp on the CD0.1 was always wobbling and causing lost power. I only got a power meter with the BMC so don't have data from the previous year unfortunately
Quote Reply
Re: P5 versus the BMC Time Machine [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick_Barkley wrote:
damon_rinard wrote:
The Scott is much faster than the BMC.

The P5 is faster than the Scott Plasma Premium.

Says who?

Basically, it's whatever wind tunnel test says, then it's in the last end the rider that matters.

And I do not think we will be able to ride faster on a P5 than a BMC TM01 or any other top time trial/tri frame.

My TT bike
BMC TM01
Quote Reply
Re: P5 versus the BMC Time Machine [avagoyamug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fit still means the most. Case: I went from a nose cone Shiv to an Ordu (pre-release of the new frame). First IM on the Ordu yielded 16 minutes faster on the bike and 7 minutes faster in the run. This was the same race, 1 year later. All the metrics and/or fitness measures were the same (or close) going in. The major difference was long term comfort in my aerobars. The Orbea fits me. If a steel tank fits the best, I vote for that.

Swimmer
http://www.usprotri.com/LAMASTRA.html
http://www.bodyphyxinternational.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
motoxxx wrote:

I agree!

Also, another strike against the P5 - if you're in the Di2 camp, because of the P5's hydraulic brakes you can't have the second set of Di2 shifters on the brake levers, just on the bar ends. Takes some of the benefit of Di2 out.

And the BMC is just insanely hot looking. And isn't that really the most important thing?

---
Team OC/AD D
Team Juicy Racing's Skip Barber Racing School and Race Series Forums: http://www.skippyforums.com/
Quote Reply
Re: P5 versus the BMC Time Machine [sydude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sydude wrote:
motoxxx wrote:

I agree!

Also, another strike against the P5 - if you're in the Di2 camp, because of the P5's hydraulic brakes you can't have the second set of Di2 shifters on the brake levers, just on the bar ends. Takes some of the benefit of Di2 out.

And the BMC is just insanely hot looking. And isn't that really the most important thing?

thank you for that reminder on DI2

I bought a DI2 TM01 late in the year. I got a great deal, I had the best race of my life on it.
But then got into the "should I have got a P5" based on the P5 > Scott > BMC comments.
But I forgot about the DI2 shifters and I appreciate the fact I actually had a bike for that race.

This thread has made me NOT regret my choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see how anyone could buy the TM01 given what rinard said about the Scott Plasma Premium being aerodynamically faster. I mean, having to deal with a PITA front brake adjustment, removing the crank to adjust the rear sometimes, problems with Firecrest wheels, etc. It's just wayyyy too much trouble to deal with given that it's slower than other, better looking and cheaper bikes out there (like the aforementioned Scott Plasma, which looks better).

I cross-shopped the BMC and the Shiv and decided on the Shiv mostly because a regular person can do all the adjustments on it easily and it's top-notch aerodynamically. That goes a long way.

Between the TM01 and the P5, I would go with the P5 every time. Even if the P5 is a PITA to adjust (I don't know enough about P5s to say), at least it's faster and better integrated than the TM01.

Summary: There's zero reason to get the TM01 under any circumstances unless you just love BMC or are getting a prodeal on it or whatever.
Quote Reply

Prev Next