Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [jenkinsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bladder reload on the fly issue ...

Same issue for me and maybe this trick has been mentioned already ..
My solution is to use a little bit of the 'sponge' material (from your old from aero bottle that now is standing unused between your other bottles ;) ..

When filling the bladder I noticed that for me it started to fill up in the top of the bladder, so I took my 'old' sponge and cut a part of it.
I rolled it in kind of string form, of like 7 inches, and stuck it into the top of the bladder to make sure the top opening doesn't bunch up.
Pull it a little apart in the top so it will not sink down.

2 hard squeezes is all I need now .. and we are reloaded.
Last edited by: huug-o: May 6, 12 18:06
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could somebody please tell me if the Seat Post Clamp is Carbon or Aluminium and would it be easy to snap?

Having seen the results of one snapping (on another branded bike) at the Beijing World Champs last year I would rather carry a spare if it I could.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [coxy_in_nz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seat post clamp is aluminum, doesn't look easy to snap
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [huug-o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
huug-o wrote:
The bladder reload on the fly issue ...

Same issue for me and maybe this trick has been mentioned already ..
My solution is to use a little bit of the 'sponge' material (from your old from aero bottle that now is standing unused between your other bottles ;) ..

When filling the bladder I noticed that for me it started to fill up in the top of the bladder, so I took my 'old' sponge and cut a part of it.
I rolled it in kind of string form, of like 7 inches, and stuck it into the top of the bladder to make sure the top opening doesn't bunch up.
Pull it a little apart in the top so it will not sink down.

2 hard squeezes is all I need now .. and we are reloaded.

Nice idea. I might give this a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Philosoraptor wrote:
huug-o wrote:
The bladder reload on the fly issue ...

Same issue for me and maybe this trick has been mentioned already ..
My solution is to use a little bit of the 'sponge' material (from your old from aero bottle that now is standing unused between your other bottles ;) ..

When filling the bladder I noticed that for me it started to fill up in the top of the bladder, so I took my 'old' sponge and cut a part of it.
I rolled it in kind of string form, of like 7 inches, and stuck it into the top of the bladder to make sure the top opening doesn't bunch up.
Pull it a little apart in the top so it will not sink down.

2 hard squeezes is all I need now .. and we are reloaded.


Nice idea. I might give this a try.

Pictures?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 
Last edited by: concededpenguin: Sep 20, 13 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [concededpenguin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I purchased the camelbak large bite valve but I was unable to make it work. I'll try the Platypus.

I'm also going to replace the magnets with the "rare earth" variety. I just need to figure out how to get them out and back in. Also, it's difficult to find a good size selection of the magnets locally. You can buy them online but matching up the sizes is more difficult when you buy online.

Thanks again for the recommendation.


concededpenguin wrote:
BTW, I was having major issues getting water out through Specialized's bite valve that comes with their bladder. It's pretty small and the water would just barely come out, especially when you're out of breath on a hard uphill. Replaced the rubber bite valve itself at the end with a Platypus hyper flow and now it is MUCH easier to drink. Just pulled off the rubber bite valve and pushed the Platypus one on so the magnet setup remains untouched and thus still functions 100% as designed. The opening is much larger.

http://www.rei.com/...yper-flow-bite-valve

I might end up replacing the whole tube with an Osprey replacement. It's a higher flow (than Specialized's bite valve assembly, still a little lower flow than the Platypus Hyper Flow) and comes with a magnet on the end near the bite valve so you can use Specialized's aero bar magnet. Basically a copy of the Specialized setup except with a larger tube, higher flow bite valve, and rotating bite valve. It also has its own second magnet that I believe is stronger than the Specialized setup, so it would be trivial to rig the Osprey magnet to your aerobar for better holding strength.

http://www.rei.com/...-tube-and-bite-valve
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pictures :) .. really ?
Okay next time when prepping for the ride I'll make some pics.

Thought it sounded pretty obvious though ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [huug-o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
huug-o wrote:
Pictures :) .. really ?
Okay next time when prepping for the ride I'll make some pics.

Thought it sounded pretty obvious though ;)

I'm a visual learner ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CakeWalk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From a retul fit (74" all legs):

Frame Stack - 590
Frame Reach - 436
Arm Pad Stack - 717
Arm Pad reach - Saddle Height 818

Using those numbers, I am assuming a Large frame would be right for me? What about the stem setup - the 50mm stem and 20mm spacers?

Thanks!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 
Okay, pictures.

I made them without the bike, I don't have one of those fancy X-ray cams that Specialized has ;)
So the steps you see I take after properly inserting the bladder into the frame.

1. Take a part of the sponge and make like a 7 inch worm.
2. Stick it in so it prevents the opening from sticking together.
3. Pull it a bit apart in the top so it doesn't sink down during your race/ride.


Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How the eff do you get the shift cable housing routed threw the chain stay. I ran a gear cable through there first to guide it but it's not happening. Suggestions?

----------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [huug-o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for "dumbing" it down for me ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [huug-o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if and where I can buy a sponge like was used by huug-o in his pictures below? Does Profile Design or any other company that makes water bottles just sell the sponge?

Thanks


huug-o wrote:

Okay, pictures.

I made them without the bike, I don't have one of those fancy X-ray cams that Specialized has ;)
So the steps you see I take after properly inserting the bladder into the frame.

1. Take a part of the sponge and make like a 7 inch worm.
2. Stick it in so it prevents the opening from sticking together.
3. Pull it a bit apart in the top so it doesn't sink down during your race/ride.

Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nevermind, I see that Profile Design sells the Aerodrink Parts Kit. It includes some crap that I don't need but the sponge comes with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What places and how are people placing their fuselage's straw? So far I've got mine wrapping over the middle (left) of the basebar, coming up to same location and wrap once around the left aero bar and again to the magnet. That way when I'm in aero my left wrist is helping to keep the mouthpiece stuck in that position. I don't know what will happen if I swerve around though grabbing the bullhorns... Taking all suggestions! Don't want to flip over head first :)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [realtalk411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realtalk411 wrote:
What places and how are people placing their fuselage's straw? So far I've got mine wrapping over the middle (left) of the basebar, coming up to same location and wrap once around the left aero bar and again to the magnet. That way when I'm in aero my left wrist is helping to keep the mouthpiece stuck in that position. I don't know what will happen if I swerve around though grabbing the bullhorns... Taking all suggestions! Don't want to flip over head first :)

Check out Rappstar's solution and is pretty neat.
2 magnets seem to do the trick. And a cable tie I think.

It's on the homepage and there's a video also.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the whole yellow net.
Its tight in the bladder mouth but squeezing with a bottle doesn't overflow.


Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Didn't see the article.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [realtalk411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This looks very similar to the bags oranges are sold in, or the wrapping you get around duty free alcohol
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [CAnderson_SBC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really want a Shiv Comp. Can you verify that the new Shiv is compatible with the new wider wheels such as the Zipp Firecrest or the Flo's or Heds?

---------------------------
Busy Spending My Children's Inheritance!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Shiv Comp with Hed Jet 6's on the front and 9's on the back. My training partner ordered the Flo's for his. He hasn't received his Flo's yet. I can only assume they are compatible too.


Sweeney wrote:
I really want a Shiv Comp. Can you verify that the new Shiv is compatible with the new wider wheels such as the Zipp Firecrest or the Flo's or Heds?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to Flo, there are really just a few bikes with clearance issues. Ridley seems to have problems. I think they have a list posted somewhere...
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe this will help answer your question. The wider wheels fit with plenty of room to spare.



So scared of breaking it that you won't let it bend.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Specialized Shiv Thread [SteveBrule] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A picture is worth a thousand words!


SteveBrule wrote:
Maybe this will help answer your question. The wider wheels fit with plenty of room to spare.
Quote Reply

Prev Next