Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Ironman CdA thread [rth2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam in San Fran last year in a sleeveless suit in 61 degree water, no neoprene cap, and was fine (I did grow up swimming in the Atlantic in South Jersey but have live in Florida for 20-some years). But under 60 degrees and I'm wearing the T1. No fears, however. I have a bet that the water temp is under 63 on race day. And I tend to lose bets like that.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman CdA thread [bpq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know where the Special Needs areas are for the bike and run courses? I did not see any information on that in the Athlete Guide pdf. I think typically they are close to the halfway point of each (so probably pretty close to the transition area, in a two-loop format like IMCDA). I think ideally there would be a special needs area halfway through the bike loop, just in case you get two flats within the first 28 miles and you need to access a spare tube.

Edit: I emailed NAS about it, will post response.

---------------

Kicking butt and writing down people's names since 2001
Last edited by: Sidestroker: Jun 13, 07 15:49
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman CdA thread [Sidestroker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know that the bike special needs is at mile 62, not 100% about the run. Although, I am pretty sure that they discuss it in the podcast that is on the ironmancda site.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman CdA thread [mrsparker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about this year, but in past years the special needs bag have been at:

RUN: Just before you get back to the transition area on the second lap (in other words, after you do the short out and back along the lake to the west, so about mile 14). Or, if you really need, you could grab it on the first pass at like mile 1 and no one would be the wiser.

BIKE: At the Turnaround along the lake (Southeast of transition about 6 miles), so about mile 62
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman CdA thread [rth2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For those of you who have done Cda before, did you wear a neoprene skull cap or just a regular swim cap? Are neoprene caps available at the race expo?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman CdA thread [IA_tri_girl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been fine with just a swim cap, no neoprene. I imagine someone will have them at the expo. The swim course is open thurs-sat morning..... try a swim, and see if you need one. Or get one and bring it with if you're worried.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Cali and the water was colder than it will be at CdA. I was fine without a neoprene cap. If it's toasty on the bike, as it looks like it may be, you'll be fine. Might not want to do too much warming up in the water though. That always makes me freeze my tush off.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman CdA thread [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you referring to IMCali 70.3 or the full IMCali (R.I.P)?

(I wore a neoprene hat for the latter (2001) and it drove me crazy---but i needed it for the warmth---so i'm wondering whether or not to use it in CdA....i'm a MOPer, so i'll be out in the cold water over an hour...)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman CdA thread [ironmom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was at the Cali 70.3. I think it comes down to what you're used to. I actually really like cold water and prefer water <70 if I'm going to be wearing a full suit. If you get cold easily during the swim, and are usually cold when you start rides in the morning, you should try to keep yourself toasty. I'm the weird girl that wears sleeveless tops as long as the temp will be >50, so I guess I'm not a good person to give advice about warmth!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with no warmer than 70 water temps for a full wetsuit, but we're talking maybe 10 degrees here---there's cold, and then there's COLD! (and at the time, I only had a sleeveless, so that may have contributed to my freezing at IMCali...numb fingers are not fun!)
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman CdA thread [ironmom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a MOPer.
---------

Yeah, right.

Born again Heathen
In Case of Keith Moon - Break This Glass
Ironman Certified Coach
USAT Certified Coach
Precision Nutrition Certified
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I have had the sore hamstring, and shinsplit on this mornings 4 miler.

... and then this afternoon is supposed to be my last ride on my tri bike before, I give it to Tri Bike transport on Friday.

I skate out of work early rush home walk the dog, get on my LA TRI Club (shameless plug) bike kit, and jump on my ride with full race setup zipps etc....

Almost was going to wear the aero helmet just for kicks..

I leave my apt, make a right turn onto the bike path and a guy on a rusty mtn bike is riding in the middle of the path. I stop, but I cannot unclip my new cleats out of the peddles and go ass over tea kettle!

After checking the bike, and realizing I am ok...

All I can think is "I am so glad I did not wear my aero helmet"

I hope, I can get a rear deralure adjustment in CDA!

10 days and Ouch!

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman CdA thread [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 7 day NOAA forcast is calling for rising temps up to 91 degrees next Wednesday. That means two things:

1) The water temp should be 67-70 degrees by race day.

2) It's gonna be a sweltering hot run unless that hot, high pressure system forming can blow out of here by the 24th -- in that case it will just be a windy bike ride followed by a merely uncomfortably warm run... ;)

EDIT: Bib numbers are up! (See other thread.)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Jun 13, 07 22:49
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman CdA thread [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
weather.com says 77 for sat 24th (no sunday forcast yet), accuweather says 78 for sat, 79 for sunday. let's hope it doesn't get any hotter than that.

Re: Official Ironman CdA thread [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
God... I hope you're not right.

if it's as hot as last year I might as well make a reservation at a med tent now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
For those of you who have done Cda before, did you wear a neoprene skull cap or just a regular swim cap? Are neoprene caps available at the race expo?
I was fine with two swim caps.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman CdA thread [triasImight] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BRING THE HEAT!

I want 95 and sunny!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman CdA thread [ATX TRIHEAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...water temp is still low...58.8. I'd really like to see it at about 61.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Ironman CdA thread [sue2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give it a few days and it will be. That pond jumps day to day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2607 starters....that's alot, yes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah that is a lot.

Did anyone get the email from NAS about "are you really racing". I wonder out of that number home many will actually toe the line
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they removed people from the participants list over the past....that's why they didn't post bib numbers last Friday....at least that's what NAS told me. I guess 2607 is the number of people intending to show up....or close to it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should be a cozy little swim...

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn that is going to be a lot of people. Just the body heat should warm up that area of the lake a few degrees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2227 actually started last year, so it's a little higher. We will see how many of the 2607 actually show up race day.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply

Prev Next