Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
October Swim Thread
Quote | Reply
Get to it :-) I am back at school and have pool access so I will be posting more.

8 mi run and 1000 yds this morning. Swim was 4 x 250 with the last 50 of each kick or backstroke.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: October Swim Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OH YEAH! I went out to the Pacific Ocean yesterday! It was beautiful :-)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
OH YEAH! I went out to the Pacific Ocean yesterday! It was beautiful :-)
Did you dip your toe in? Down here, it's been pretty warm - hitting 70° in places.

This AM:
500s
5x100 various kicks
10x100 alt br@1:45/fr@1:30
200 s/k cool

10/6 will be my first SCM swim meet. I'll be doing the 1500 (too many flip turns!); 200 breast; and a couple others. I can't remember which, off the top of my head.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am surprised you saw the ocean between the downpours. 4" of rain here in the past 4-5 days. 60 days to Ironman Cozumel. Methinks Kurt (Kenetic, the Trainer), and Sufferfest are going to become best frenemies. Plus there is the swim.

This AM. Sprint day. Again??? Grrrr....

900m w/u

w/u set
8 x 75m (50m Swim + 25m kick)

Main Set
6 x 25m on 45 sec, free, fast as you can go... any toys required fins, snorkels, paddles (I went toy-free)
100m easy
3 x 50m on 1:30 (25fly+25free, then 25back+25free, then 25breast+25free)
100m easy
...repeat x3

3000 scm

Quote | Reply
Hey HalfSpeed - would you please tell me what you are doing when you do your kick sets? I tried to kick some yesterday, but about half way through I decided I didn't know what I was doing. I was just kicking. Is there something to concentrate on. Should I be trying to get faster? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: October Swim Thread [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sinking fish is joining in this thread for some accountability. I finally have my endless pool up and running and have no excuse for my lack of swimming ability. Going to do a swim focus for the next 3-4 months. This first month I am going to just focus on getting into the pool and gaining some fitness. My biking is coming around and my running is still pretty good. Now its time to learn to swim. Thanks for allowing me to tag along to learn from you guys. Nolan
Quote Reply
Re: October Swim Thread [nad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, when I'm kicking, not much thought is going into it. I just put good effort into it. Things I do think about: Breaststroke kick - snapping the legs closed and pointing the toes back and hips up during the glide. Freestyle kick - smooth, not a lot of whitewater creation, and press the buttocks high, not letting the lower back sink in an arch. Kick from the hips with just a bit of knee flex, and also pointing the toes back and slightly turned inward - big toes touch as they pass each other. Backstroke - here I do dolphin kicking and emphasize using core muscles to initiate the kick. I can't do this on my stomach as my bad back doesn't like it. I keep my arms leading with hands clasped - biceps cover ears. I try to look up and ahead slightly which helps keep my hips up. And, I try to keep my legs together. My pattern is typically non-stop; 100br/100bk/100br/100fr/100br for my 500 yards of kicking.
Hope that helps.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool! Keep up the kicking triathletes! http://triathlon.competitor.com/...-the-swim-kick_75540
Quote Reply
Re: October Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It does. Thanks very much.
Quote Reply
Re: October Swim Thread [amykhall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link.
Quote Reply
Re: October Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's something to think about when you're kicking:

http://www.theraceclub.net/videos/secret-tip-legs-propulsion/
http://www.theraceclub.net/videos/secret-tip-legs-lift/
http://www.theraceclub.net/videos/secret-tip-legs-stabilizing-force/
http://www.theraceclub.net/videos/secret-tip-legs-inertia/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First set back after my race.

5x100
3x100 w/fins.

I think I'm gonna keep updating this thread so it forces me to work on my swim more. General idea for this month is to go Tues-Fri daily.
Quote Reply
Re: October Swim Thread [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterdays Swim:

200 free
200 Breast
4x75 as EZ-FAST-EZ
700 free + 300 Pull
600 free + 400 Pull
500 Free + 500 Pull
200 CD

Is this a dumb workout? I don't really know what I'm doing but think this is an ok base workout....would love some tips for SPEED though!
Quote Reply
Re: October Swim Thread [ironmuffin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This morning:

5 x 200 easy, alternating freestyle and pull
16 x 100 decreasing rest intervals by 5 secs every four laps (starting at 25 secs)
200 kick
200 easy freestyle

Unfortunately, I swim in a university pool...my freestyle is average at best, but in comparison to the girls there this morning I felt even more useless than normal. But thanks for the kick info - I need it.
Quote Reply
Re: October Swim Thread [Neil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a swim-a-thon the other day. 25x200. 10 on 2:30, 10 on 2:25, 5 on 2:20. Ended up doing 5000 in just over an hour.

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can I play? Trying to get more yardage in these days, so tonight:

400 as 100 EZ, 100 drill, 100 drill, 100 EZ
5 x 500, negative splits
100 EZ

Changed bags and forgot to bring some other printed workouts. silly me

If you're going to kick a tiger in the @$$, you better have a plan to deal with his teeth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the nice summer pool (Southern Hemi) and back doing some hard sessions

800 warm up
8x100 drill/swim
4x50m sprint/easy
200m easy

2 sets of
8x100 on 1:30 holding 1:13-15
4x50 on 45
200 hard 2:28's
2 mins rest

500m cool down

4900m LCM
Quote Reply
Re: October Swim Thread [SwimRunTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have noticed that a summer rolls around south of the equator the pool has gotten a lot more crowded.

Did a hard and fast set last night.
W/U (700)
200 (150 Free Easy, 50 build to 90%)
2x150 (50 Bk/Br, 50 Free Moderate, 50 Hard)
4x50 Free (Solid)
M/S
4x200 on 3:30 @ threshold
4x400 on 7:00 @ solid
200 C/D
Total: 3,300 LCM
Last edited by: SpaceKitty: Oct 1, 13 21:48
Quote Reply
Re: October Swim Thread [SpaceKitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been swimming frequently but the times suffered a bit with a lot more running (30-40 mpw) over the last month and a half. Body weight has gone down and the chest/shoulders are starting to get smaller, so supplementing with longer main sets and higher aerobic effort. Here was yesterday in yards:

WU: 1000 free, 200 kick, 300 pull
MS: 10x100 on 1:30, avg 1:10
200 easy pull
5x100 on 2:00 fast, 1:07, 1:07, 1:06, 1:06, 1:07
200 easy pull
10x50 on :45 hold :34
CD: 2x250 (#1 paddles, #2 pull)
100 6 stroke w/somersault to work on turns
Total: 4500 scy

Then ran 8 a few hours after to get the running in...

BB
Quote Reply
Re: October Swim Thread [beastneb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pool was so warm, I half expected spa jets to start up.

1000s
5x100 various kicks
10x50 alt fr@:50 br@1:00
300 s/k/cool

2300 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
beastneb wrote:
WU: 1000 free, 200 kick, 300 pull
MS: 10x100 on 1:30, avg 1:10
200 easy pull
5x100 on 2:00 fast, 1:07, 1:07, 1:06, 1:06, 1:07
200 easy pull
10x50 on :45 hold :34
CD: 2x250 (#1 paddles, #2 pull)
100 6 stroke w/somersault to work on turns
Total: 3600 scy

Tough workout after doing 100 push-ups, 100 abs, 100 dips yesterday.

I moved the 50s to the beginning. I avg 34-35 on 50s, 1:11-12 on 100s, and finished with 1:07,7,6,7,6

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Re: October Swim Thread [antonbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice workout AntonBP! Glad that you were able to use it :) I tend to stay away from the push-ups, tends to break me down a bit- I do like to do pull ups, usually 3-6 sets and I've worked up to 7-8 reps per set. Not a ton of reps, but much more than I used to do. I will probably do my first 500 free ever in a few months at a Masters meet, should be fun- right now I'm working on hitting the pace or faster for some of the set with just enough rest that form doesn't go to shit and I can put up to 20x100 that way. I was doing a lot of work on the 1:20 interval, peaked around 1:08 for 10 reps on that interval, now time to rebuild a stronger base and work on technique like turns and stroke count. Today was pretty fun just tiring- did my VO2 run test (72 ml/kg/min) then drove to the pool and did:

1000 warm up, 200 kick, 100 6 stroke turn drill
10x100 on 1:30 held 1:09-1:10
200 easy

Total: 2500 scy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I usually don't do too many push-ups for the same reason. I couldn't do any arm swings before jumping in, a lot of soreness.

I lost a little swim fitness after all the cycling during the summer. I need to get it back. I will try to come up with a few workouts, so we can challenge each other.

Good luck with your 500. How far under 6 minutes will you be?

Bruce
ALBOPADS XTERRAWETSUITS NEWTON OAKLEY FIZIK GARMIN ROTOR COMPUTRAINER QUARQ HONEYSTINGER
Quote Reply
Re: October Swim Thread [antonbp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alright, sounds good! I will try to stay on top of nutrition so I can stay strong in the pool!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone attempting the US Masters Postal 6k and 3k this fall? I'm doing the 6k next weekend! When our pool is set up for the kid's meet in the yards direction... I'll probably do the 3k again in the 25m direction later.... And then do the conversion.
Quote Reply

Prev Next