Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by Jar Jar
Last edited by: Jar Jar: Mar 9, 05 14:57
Re: I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS [Jar Jar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you 100%, but this post should also be in the Lavender Room.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude, you should do some longer workouts with that much hostility built up. It is just a forum...

if this is that big of a deal to you then you should spend time reading this post to get some perspective

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...;;page=unread#unread
Last edited by: 5280: Mar 9, 05 14:05
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by Jar Jar [ In reply to ]
Post deleted by Casey [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, what I find ironic is that you're encouraging censorship. censorship is a mark of conservatism. just playing devil's advocate...another irony is that you brought it up...again.

i'm not hatin', just playing devil's advocate. in reality, it's a discussion forum. nobody is going to feel favorably towards every single topic.

kc
Quote Reply
Re: I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS [kittycat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But it's a discussion forum about triathlon. Sharing that a major triathlete is pregnant is triathlon-related. Sharing opinions about what that means or doesn't mean for the rest of the world is not. That's what the Lavender Room is for, right? I'd just respond, "please see my post in the Lavender room" and continue my fantasy that the rest of the world should be just like my family and my God there (oops - and just generalizing btw, I didn't waste 2 seconds on that thread as soon as that nonsense started).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
well, what I find ironic is that you're encouraging censorship. censorship is a mark of conservatism. just playing devil's advocate...another irony is that you brought it up...again.

i'm not hatin', just playing devil's advocate. in reality, it's a discussion forum. nobody is going to feel favorably towards every single topic.

kc

It is only freedom of speech when it is stuff they want to hear.

They being both Conservatives and Liberals.

Jar Jar binks can go watch Star Wars - the Slowtwich forum will survive without Jar Jar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

kc

Nah - just self censorship. You know that old saying 'If you don't have anything nice to say....'?

Re: I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS [CrashingGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nobody is promoting censorship, just common-frickin-sense. Do you think Lori Bowden and her partner who are no doubt enjoying their pending parenthood like reading this crap?

Everyone has the right to speak their mind. To those who are criticizing Lori and Keith from behind the protective screen of this forum I hope you have the balls to do it in person the next time you see them at a race.

And I hope you have good dental insurance too.

The internet is a great thing however it seems to give every blowhard on the planet the impression that its their personal soap box.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Last edited by: MattinSF: Mar 9, 05 14:44
Quote Reply
Re: I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS [MattinSF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Matt-- I hope you are not leaving you and me out of the "every blowhard on the planet" category!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt, you need to chill out, too. In fact, I don't see what the pregnancy of a triathlete has to do with TRIATHLON itself, if you want to get technical about it. Unless, of course, we all want to bloviate on the performance-affecting aspects of third trimester training and whatnot.

As far as "hiding" behind a forum, I don't think Art, or most other people on this site (at least as far as I can tell) are doing it. I know I don't, and if I have a problem with someone or something, I'll say it here and to their face, and I carry very good health insurance. Not that I think I'd need it.

I respect respect both side's opinions, and also support Jar Jar's (and his nemesis's) right to say what they want to say WHEREVER they'd like to say it, whether here or in the Lavender Room.

As far as I'm concerned, Jar Jar could have just as easily been told to move it to the Lavender Room. Unless, of course, he'd have followed protocol and appended "OT" to the leader line.

But, that's just my opinion. Any of you have a problem with that? ;-)

Tony in Honolulu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude,

If you bail, there will be fewer of US and, relatively speaking, more of THEM. We need all the help we can get.

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unbelievable stuff, really. I'm a little sick of the self-important, condescending smugness. I'm especially sick of rational thought being labelled as "party-line kool aid" when what's offered in opposition is nothing more than hollow parochial marching tunes. You get labelled as a rabid liberal while someone behind thumps you on the head with a bible.

People in the US are always banging on about freedom, yet will happily abide by legislation that erodes civil liberties and the right to chose. Weird.

San Francisco Man Becomes First American To Grasp Meaning Of Irony
Added 2003-02-07 12:58:52
Jay Fullmer, 38, yesterday became the first American to get to grips with the concept of irony. "It was weird" Fullmer said. "I was in London and, like, talking to this guy and it was raining and he pulled a face and said, "great weather eh?" and I thought "Wait a minute, no way is it great weather".

Fullmer then realised that the other man's 'mistake' was in fact deliberate. Fullmer, who is 39 next month and married with two children, aged 8 and 3, plans to use irony himself in future. "I'm, like, using it all the time." he said. "Last weekend I was grilling steaks and I burned them to a crisp and I said "hey, great weather".
Last edited by: Alexander: Mar 9, 05 15:46
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought you were leaving? Now you're just a troll...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can duke it out with the best of them Monk as you well know, but you won't find me waving my bible in anyone's face who is celebrating a pregnancy. I keep my blowing within the confines of this insane asylum and to the best of my knowledge you do too.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Re: I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS [Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey! I read that somewhere before... oh, in the same post!

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironic, isnt it.

We're getting farther away from the triathlon aspect of this thread, but I think it's an important topic, what with the general direction that the thread is going in.

I don't defend bible-thumping in the least, and I like to think I spent two decades in the military defending the "right" to privacy (it's one of those "penumbras and emenations" things, apparently ;-), but I also don't have a problem with someone pointing out that we, maybe hypocritically, generally still expect that when a couple announces a pregnancy, that they be married (or at least are going to be married soon) when they do so.

It stopped being a private matter when Ms. Bowden announced it to the world, in my opinion. And that gives us the "right" (there's that pesky word again :-) to opine on it to our heart's content, seems to me.

I'd say that that was my two cents worth, but this being Hawaii (out here), and the cost of living being higher, I'll say that that was my SIX cents worth (you guys seen the price of our gasoline lately? Oy vey!!)

Tony Gee
Last edited by: big kahuna: Mar 9, 05 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS [Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok, I enjoyed your post...that was funny and creative.

maybe I'll mimik that and say, great fucking thread...lol. (don't listen to me...I'm drunk again...lol). and actually, you must be too because you copied twice in the story...lol! mine's a chilean cab. yours? (giving you a hug and smooch)

cheers! kittycat
Last edited by: kittycat: Mar 9, 05 15:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm all drunk on self-pity!
Quote Reply
Re: I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa now. Let's put things back into perspective.

First off, no one hasn't wished the soon to be parents good wishes for their news.

Secondly, it's a natural question to ask, "you got married?" or "are you going to get married" when the news of pregnancy comes about...

The context has been twisted to the point where now this issue is a bible thumping, neo-conservative, right wing conspiracy.

I would be the first person to wish the two congratulations to their face and would follow up with the questions I've stated above. Is that so far fetched?

No one is pushing their "agenda" in voicing their views on the matter. I wish both of them a healthy pregnancy and a healthy child.

The rest of you...take a valium...
Quote Reply

Prev Next