Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Tri Bike fit Before and After Pictures
Quote | Reply
So I added a tri bike to my inventory last week. Cervelo P2. First time on a Tri bike. I had a bike fit performed by the shop I purchased the bike from. This was a Retul fit that lasted about 3.5 hours.
So far I have completed a couple rides around 15 to 20 miles each.
I realize my body will need to make some adjustments that will happen over time. But my biggest complaint is I feel like I am being pushed over the bars all the time. Having to grip the aero bars and hold myself in place. My neck and shoulders are aching fairly quick.
Is this something I need to condition myself over time or is this a fit issue.?
I will certainly ask him about it but would like some other opinions.
I have a fit report if anyone would like to check it out.
Last edited by: Mniels: Jan 30, 19 14:03
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike [Mniels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you post some pictures or video of you riding the bike here?
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Aug 24, 18 14:27
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crap, I'll have to get some.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It probably took me at least 1/2 dozen rides and 10 hours before I felt comfortable first time on a tri bike 3 years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Can you post some pictures or video of you riding the bike here?
Definitely this. Hopefully it’s as simple as say angling up your bars a bit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neck and shoulders will definitely take awhile they don’t get used like that ever. But after a few rides it will get a lot better. Just don’t do a long ride before that feels better or it’ll really suck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a similar issue I had when I switched from my P4 to P5. Check your saddle angle....I solved the problem by angling my saddle very slightly upwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got a fit based on retul metrics when I first got my bike and felt the same way. I extended my reach by 20mm and that solved my problem. I think if you feel like you are slipping on your saddle, start there. If you are not slipping on your saddle, then it's worth adjusting the cockpit.

Mniels wrote:
But my biggest complaint is I feel like I am being pushed over the bars all the time. Having to grip the aero bars and hold myself in place. My neck and shoulders are aching fairly quick.
Is this something I need to condition myself over time or is this a fit issue.?
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Aug 25, 18 10:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are a couple of pictures.

https://mail2.spectrum.net/...6.jpeg?folder=INBOX/

https://mail2.spectrum.net/index.php/mail/viewmessage/getattachment/uniqueId/26409/account/0/filenameOriginal/IMG_1520.jpeg/filenameModified/IMG_1520.jpeg?folder=INBOX/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pictures don’t show up. It’s asking for a login.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Ok finally here are a couple images
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The good news is, you're seat isn't too high! Doesn't mean it's in the right position (because it's not), but it's not too high. Otherwise, that's just a really bad bike fit. You're not reaching anywhere near close to what you should be, which is why you're in so much pain. There's more wrong, but I'm sure many will offer advice. Some good, some bad, but really you should start over with a better fitter.

I hate to say it, but there's a possibility that bike doesn't fit you. It can be made to fit, but it just might be the wrong size.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be comfortable in that position either. I'd want the entire front cockpit moved forward. Your elbows are directly below your shoulders, which simply isn't comfortable and leads to that feeling of falling over the front of the bike / having to push backwards. Move everything forward at least an inch and see how that feels.

I'd also want the extension bars angled up, rather than horizontal, although that's largely personal preference.
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a 54. What size up or down if you had to pick?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't worry about that right now. If possible, I'd go find a reputable fitter with a fit bike, and start from scratch. Seriously, you're so far off you'd save a lot of time and discomfort by going to someone who knows what they're doing.

Where do you live? Perhaps the ST collective can send you to someone nearby who will help find appropriate fit coordinates.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Omaha Nebraska, nothing showed up on the fitters data base. So yes, if anybody knows of a reputable fitter near please let me know.
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike fit (Finally pictures added) [Mniels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had similar issues this past year when I shortened my cockpit to meet the UCI bike regulations. When the stem was too short (90mm), I felt this awkwardness in the front end, like I was being pushed over and the handling was all wobbly. I fixed it with a few minor modifications to my fit.

-I changed to a slightly longer stem (100mm) to help Get my elbows in front of my shoulders.
-I adjusted my arm pads forward to change the point of contact with my forearms.
-I tinkered with the angle of my extensions until it felt right (for me, they praying mantis position doesn't feel comfortable on my forearms).
-I adjusted saddle tilt (to just under -1deg) as anything beyond that seems to put more weight on the front end of my bike (thereby contributing to a wobbly feel).
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike fit (Finally pictures added) [Mniels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's a really unfortunate fit outcome... Jim is right, start over with a reputable fitter.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully you did not PAY for that fit? If you did, ask for your money back!

I am a former certified bike fitter and Slowtwitch certified and that my friend is called, "Please give me my money back fit"
Last edited by: Terryh: Aug 27, 18 8:30
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike [Terryh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terryh wrote:
Hopefully you did not PAY for that fit? If you did, ask for your money back!

I am a former certified bike fitter and Slowtwitch certified and that my friend is called, "Please give me my money back fit"

^^^^^^this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK I thought it was my amateur eye saying 'that doesnt look right at all' good to know an expert sees the same thing....all bike fitters are not made equal

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
#%#%@$%# ! Yes I did pay for it and I also purchased the bike from them.
I guess I will start a thread in search of a fitter close by. I haven't located one in my area (Omaha)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
perhaps you got a "reverse" bike fit where they size you down to a bike that's too small for you and then sell it to you

Mniels wrote:
#%#%@$%# ! Yes I did pay for it and I also purchased the bike from them.
I guess I will start a thread in search of a fitter close by. I haven't located one in my area (Omaha)

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i second this
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can't find anyone near you, look up Dave (FindingFreestyle) on this forum. He does a remote bike fitting service that might be useful (I can't vouch for it since I haven't used it, but it is an option and he appears to know his stuff)

I'm not convinced that your bike is too small. It looks like you are running a short stem and could extend the bars more, but there isn't a huge amount of seatpost showing. Get your fit coordinates sorted out first, then you can see if you can make what you have work for you.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next