Quote | Reply
Looks like a mix of a BMC and Fuji Norcom

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
Bullshit. I live in a hot, humid, wet state with big ass hills. We have been riding rim brakes......oh yea....forever. Helpful maybe, blessing doubtful. What disc brakes really do is allow different design for the rims themselves, hooked, hookless, etc. Besides if your braking a lot you're doing it wrong.

Disc brakes usually also allow one to run wider tires for training, where I ride the roads suck and now that I'm riding 32C tires on my road bike it's really hard to go back to my Speed Concept with 25C on the training wheels. It's not just comfort, it's a feeling of being safe and secure on rough pavement with wider tires. If I could run 28s or 30s for training rides I'd ride the SC a lot more but now it's getting way less use than it used to. Plus with more and more folks are switching to disc on their road bikes you can swap wheels between bikes. Hydraulic lines give better feel and modulation. Disks don't have a big advantage when it's dry but they are certainly better when it's wet and really way better in the rain if you have carbon wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
I'm thoroughly confused by this entire discussion re: hydraulic brakes on the current Speed Concept. Even if you could run hydraulic lines from the levers to the calipers, how exactly are you going to make the proprietary rim brakes work?

You know, the actuation of the SC brakes is very similar to the Magura RT6/8 brakes (i.e. a wedge driving 2 arms). I'm sure a "clever engineer" could retrofit the Magura brake cylinder/wedge assembly into a SC...and maybe add some adjustable arms (like on a TriRig Omega brake - another "center wedge" type brake) and make something quite good. One of the cool things about hydraulic actuation is that you don't necessarily need smooth, straight(-ish) paths for the fluid to flow, which opens up the possibilities ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Rideon77 wrote:

Bullshit. I live in a hot, humid, wet state with big ass hills. We have been riding rim brakes......oh yea....forever. Helpful maybe, blessing doubtful. What disc brakes really do is allow different design for the rims themselves, hooked, hookless, etc. Besides if your braking a lot you're doing it wrong.

Disc brakes usually also allow one to run wider tires for training, where I ride the roads suck and now that I'm riding 32C tires on my road bike it's really hard to go back to my Speed Concept with 25C on the training wheels. It's not just comfort, it's a feeling of being safe and secure on rough pavement with wider tires. If I could run 28s or 30s for training rides I'd ride the SC a lot more but now it's getting way less use than it used to. Plus with more and more folks are switching to disc on their road bikes you can swap wheels between bikes. Hydraulic lines give better feel and modulation. Disks don't have a big advantage when it's dry but they are certainly better when it's wet and really way better in the rain if you have carbon wheels.

Huh...my road bike is running 32s (can actually fit a 36 into the front) and hydraulic brake actuation...and it's using rim calipers!

In other words, neither of those 2 things are exclusive to disc braking.

Lastly...friends don't let friends brake on carbon ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Lastly...friends don't let friends brake on carbon ;-)

This is the driving force behind disc brakes on road bikes. It's a lot easier to make decent carbon clinchers without a braking surface.

For TT, arguably the fastest wheels you can get happen to have an aluminum brake surface, so...
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any up pics of the disc speed concept from stage 5 of the Tour today?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which wheels are those? As the aero coach wheels are all carbon now
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hed Jet. They've been near the top of the heap for many years.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some photos here:

https://www.gettyimages.com/...ance&sort=newest
But nothing we haven't already seen.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder what the tri version will look like especially all the storage as that's missing in the TT version.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike looks pretty great, id really like to get my hands on one and inspect the main cockpit and material.

I imagine or think that Trek really knocked it out of the park with the redesign.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still several questions to be answered but I noticed a few things in the recent pics. Base bar/stem is one piece. Changing stems will be costly. SRAM blip box looks to be completely hidden and integrated somehow (though its possible its on the bars somewhere that you can't see in the pics).

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes in looking at the pictures the base bar will be an absolute PITA if you need to change it for more/less reach. That is assuming Trek is not doing some crazy fore/aft tower reach on the bike. I would venture to say that they have a compartment under the stem that all the devices are being hidden under a panel, they have been on a "open hollow" bar kick for a year or two now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pics. Love the bike (not the paint job-but get its for the olympics).

Hope to see some tri pics soon as the pros will hopefully be training on it for Kona...hopefully.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Highly doubt we will see the tri version before it’s officially released. If the pro’s have them right now or will be getting them soon, they won’t be able to post any pics. We are going to have to wait until it’s released to see any details. Which I’ve heard is sometime mid august but I’m about 50% on that one.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
part supply (especially Shimano) is a real issue for new bike releases. FWIW, I love the First Light paint job on the Olympic bikes a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Highly doubt we will see the tri version before it’s officially released. If the pro’s have them right now or will be getting them soon, they won’t be able to post any pics. We are going to have to wait until it’s released to see any details. Which I’ve heard is sometime mid august but I’m about 50% on that one.

Anyone got any rumours or update when this will hit the stores ?
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK Gearmuncher wrote:
stevej wrote:

Anyone got any rumours or update when this will hit the stores ?

Nothing definitive. It does look like Holly Lawrence is on the new bike so I'm guessing we will see her on it at 70.3 worlds in 10 days. No idea if the bike will be released at the same time or the days leading into the race. With 70.3 worlds basically being the mainstream race of the year, I don't see why they wouldn't release it next week unless production/availability is an issue or they have something else planned for what would have been "kona week".

TLDR version: who the fuck knows

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [UK Gearmuncher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My dealer had two SpeedConcepts listed on their 2022 preorder list: SpeedConcept TT and SpeedConcept SLR (the latter I assumed to be the non-seen-yet tri version). However, when I inquired in more details, they replied "information is really raw ATM", and then these vanished from the list :D So I guess, nobody really knows right now... or the availability will be nonexistent unless you're a really big dealer / country.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What was the quoted price and group set for them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanksgiving always a good time to order a new bike ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
What was the quoted price and group set for them.

Only framesets. 3600 EUR (but likely already some discount factored in, definitely below MSRP, which I don't have any idea of).

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: New Trek Speed Concept [iliketri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... Sounds like someone might have a good idea of when it's coming. What's around that time? IMAZ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea of what the front cockpit will look like?

I was hit by a car in July and my speed concept 9 was destroyed so I am in the market for a new bike. The new speed concept is definitely in the running I’m just not a fan of the double risers up from the base bar.

Trying to hold off until the new bike is released but with the lead time to order and hopefully have something for next summer I’m anxious to get the ball rolling
Quote Reply

Prev Next