Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Drag2Zero extensions [Fazz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Comparison of new vs previous.

New

BTA setup just fits so arms are resting on bar.
But is better when narrower so working on a narrow bta refillable bottle.

The ergo grips are very comfortable. I actually prefer them to previous and I loved the previous. Recommended despite not looking great when still, very very useful riding and you quickly get used to shifting with forefingers (I was thumb before).

There is now no gap underneath my forearm.
The new pads are a bit wider and bit more comfortable also.

Personally, I'm a huge fan. Highly recommended.
Only consideration is those with fixed pole clamps (like mine). Then the width is fixed so arms need to align to rest on pad.
For others, they have spacers and the likes to move in or out etc.

Super product. Well worth the cost especially considering the much more expensive alternatives.

Suspect these will continue to sell out each production run for a while.
Mine are non uci version BTW.

Number 5 is alive (short circuit any 80's kids...)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for the pictures!

*what is the bar in the background (first picture) for reference.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Drag2Zero extensions [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
thanks for the pictures!

*what is the bar in the background (first picture) for reference.

The original drag2zero 20 degree poles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the odds that the extensions could be drilled to work with a Pro Missile Evo setup? *Semi-pink*
Quote Reply
Re: New Drag2Zero extensions [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ohio_Roadie wrote:
What are the odds that the extensions could be drilled to work with a Pro Missile Evo setup? *Semi-pink*

Possibly the hardware will let you use the new clamping gear to use it with the Missiles? I think Aerocoach's tilt blocks allow for that as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's that Garmin mount?

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: New Drag2Zero extensions [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the pictures. The extensions appear to a great value.

I understand that there are UCI 'approved' and Non- UCI versions, which yours appear to be.

For the UCI version I am wondering what the maximum angle is, for a pad center to tip dimension of 10 cm? In my limited experience with UCI measurements, they were less concerned with the angle as they were with the center of pad to tip dimension. And obviously, for a fixed pad and extension length, the more angle the greater that dimension !

Also, I'm wondering if the extension length is adjustable independent of the pad position, and if the pad position is fixed directly on top of base bar position?

All in all though they look like they are going to be a great alternative.

db
Quote Reply
Re: New Drag2Zero extensions [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:
Thanks for the pictures. The extensions appear to a great value.

I understand that there are UCI 'approved' and Non- UCI versions, which yours appear to be.

For the UCI version I am wondering what the maximum angle is, for a pad center to tip dimension of 10 cm? In my limited experience with UCI measurements, they were less concerned with the angle as they were with the center of pad to tip dimension. And obviously, for a fixed pad and extension length, the more angle the greater that dimension !

Also, I'm wondering if the extension length is adjustable independent of the pad position, and if the pad position is fixed directly on top of base bar position?

All in all though they look like they are going to be a great alternative.

db

I'm not sure on the UCI version. I had thought they governed the height of pad to tip so extension may be x angle only.

Your question on extension length - these came long which you may see in first pic. I had to cut both ends to meet my fit.
You ask if extension length is adjustable- these are just poles that clamp into your clamps so you decide length and cut to suit.

You also ask if pad position is fixed directly on top of base bar position?

I'm not sure I understand this, the pads are just pads. Fit to your setup. In my case, I've added 5mm shims on my basebar as the p5x bar is sloped up in centre and I wanted pad to be flat for narrow position.

If you're asking in regards the pole angle relative to pad then simply yes, the flatter the basebar the better it fits to forearm I guess.
So if I had another shim, then the rear of forearm would likely not align against rear of forearm pad.

If you're asking for pad position as in length or placement, simply drill the holes to suit.
They come pre marked but not drilled.

Drag2zero offer a fit sheet where they recommend shims or angles etc if needed to get best alignment for forearm to run along pole. This is part of the purchase and so they cater for each bar setup as not all are straightforward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Fazz for your answer, you did a great job of explaining how they can fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Updating, I got mine Friday. I ordered both UCI and non-UCI extensions, but not any of the extra hardware as the plan was to put them on my USE Tula's.

Honestly, even for folks that are restricted to fit a jig, you're probably better off getting the non-uci versions. Both extensions follow a pretty similar bend trajectory, but if you plan to have your forearms make contact with the padding, I can't imagine many people could do it on the UCI legal version unless they had a VERY flat position (or possibly titled everything on the cockpit, not just the pads)

*something that isn't really apparent (or wasn't to me) is that the extensions end in a foil shape, so while it didn't matter for me on a track bike, if you are going to be running shifters you will need to account for the gripper (it slides on the foil shape, but has roughly an inch in front of that of normal round section to plug a shifter into)

Overall the bars are pretty nice, I actually wish the bend was a little bit more aggressive, but they are nice nonetheless... How LONG they are is almost comical

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those might actually look real good on my setup...

Are the blue deals the grippers? Also, can you pm me the full res of that? I dislike the small hosted images. 😉

NVM on the gripper question. I read your post again and figured out it's the black piece overtop the end of the extension.

My YouTubes

Last edited by: LAI: Oct 20, 19 7:15
Quote Reply
Re: New Drag2Zero extensions [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah blue piece is something I 3D printed for myself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you post a picture of both the UCI and non-UCI extensions next to each other? Thank you very much!
Quote Reply
Re: New Drag2Zero extensions [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, although I had already trimmed the non-uci ones (I dug the cut off piece out of the trash and put it back in the pic though :D)

Really similar shaping as you can see (non uci top, uci bottom)

Last edited by: Morelock: Oct 20, 19 12:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The black ergo grips look interesting. Are they injection molded or 3D printed? I ask because it looks like they have print lines on them ... if 3D printed, any idea what material they are made from?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: New Drag2Zero extensions [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Couldn't tell you the difference in 3d vs injection so I'm not sure.
There is a pattern like you refer to which may suggest 3d.

The material is like a plastic that actually has a little bit of flex like rubber feel to it.
I've actually scuffed mine a tiny bit and can confirm they appear to be made from horizontal rows of material, so I guess likely 3d printed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Fazz, great setup. I was wondering hoy would a bta bottle fit with the more aggresive bend of the non uci version, but looking at your pictures it seems to be just fine because you have located the bottle cage a few cm more upwards. Where did you get those kinda inserts to do so? Many thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: New Drag2Zero extensions [matimati] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The BTA bottle holder will fit as the pads are just fit wherever suits.

On my setup, I've raised the BTA to allow me to get my pads closer together.
So my forearms are effectively gripping the bottle cage from underneath and gets me closer to my best position.
Also added benefit of getting forearm aligned with the D2Z poles and rest on them also.

The raisers were just gathered together by my workshop- couple longer screws, and a washer thing to adapt is all that's needed.

I'm debating going a little narrower and replacing the BTA standard cage with a BTA narrow aero bottle, but this is only practical for short course as no refill or replacement option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm curious as to what you would drill out being a Pro Missile user with custom extensions. I found my way around to get a desired position with wedges but not sure how you would use these as they are a much sexier arrangement than using the standard bar?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fazz wrote:
Only consideration is those with fixed pole clamps (like mine). Then the width is fixed so arms need to align to rest on pad.

This is the expected downside and one I was aware of when ordering.

The other gripe I have is that it would be more comfortable if the hand grip was angled in or shifted inward. Look at any of the custom options or the Aergo to see what I mean. If I want my forearm to be centered on the extension, I have to twist my wrist back a bit. It'll probably be fine for 70.3 but not sure if I could hold that for a 140.3 without developing carpal tunnel.
Quote Reply
Re: New Drag2Zero extensions [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Fazz wrote:

This is the expected downside and one I was aware of when ordering.

The other gripe I have is that it would be more comfortable if the hand grip was angled in or shifted inward. Look at any of the custom options or the Aergo to see what I mean. If I want my forearm to be centered on the extension, I have to twist my wrist back a bit. It'll probably be fine for 70.3 but not sure if I could hold that for a 140.3 without developing carpal tunnel.

So those were my concerns as well; I ordered a pair of the high rise and have them on a P5x (fixed pole width ). Surprising, as long as you’re running fairly narrow pad width, your arms end up almost instantly resting on the pole. My cups aren’t exactly overtop the poles, probably off center by about 1cm, and it works well.

In terms of the inward grip, thats what I’ve had on my last few sets (Zipp Evo 110s and 51 Speedshop), and while this doesn’t twist inward, the final bend on these (for the wrist support) ends up sort of negating the need. I think it’s a combination of the narrow profile of the bar at the grip end (it’s ovalised instead of rounded at the grip), and the shaped portion of the bar that you rest your wrist on.

Off topic, but you mentioned the Aergo bars - HARD pass on those. I bought a set and after waiting 3 months on them, they turned out to be pretty trash. Super finicky to work with, and super poor finish and quality control issues. They look very adjustable, but they don’t adjust nearly as well in practice. The arm cups are also extremely narrow so they do a poor job of supporting your arms (and I do not have big arms to begin with). I had to return mine because they forgot to fully drill the mounting holes on the base bar. Ended up just getting a refund.

Quote | Reply
Are these the high or the UCI extensions?

Last edited by: cabdoctor: Dec 17, 19 23:39
Quote Reply
Re: New Drag2Zero extensions [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to buy those for my plasma 5, but the price is crazy. I understand the £190 pour the extensions. £145 for the arm rests is harder to swallow. 72 for the aluminum angled shiv ? 60 for the ski pole clamp ?
Last edited by: strangename: Dec 18, 19 1:18
Quote Reply
Re: New Drag2Zero extensions [strangename] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They look great and compared to the other products out there, that's a pretty good price.

Still not sure if they would give you any gains unless they radically changed your position on the bike for the better.

The only way would be tunnel time or a fair bit of road testing.

But they have loads of looking cool points and that's got to be worth a few Watts. :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next