Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
This bike really intrigues me.

I'm wondering what gearing on a 1x12 would work for both road, gravel and maybe the odd CX race.

You’ll have to go eagle if you want wireless, the AXS is basically 10-33 max. Or one of the Shimano options.

Sram by virtue of their cassette and chain ring choices on AXS have put themselves in no mans land.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta save those precious watts.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [seeyouincourt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:

On the FD I don’t think there would be any clearance issue. Given that it is designed for a FD to be there it doesn’t make sense for there to be a tire clearance problem just with the addition of a battery in that space. It looks like it would sit far enough outboard that you wouldn’t have an issue.

Throw on some 700x42s or 650x49s with an etap FD THEN let me know. My bet is it won't work...
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [Xing triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Xing triathlete,

We checked the eTAP FD in our clearance models as part of the initial design. There should be no issues running the latest eTAP groups in a 2x setup on the Áspero.

Note: The first generation eTAP FD may indeed cause issues with the largest tires. Sram redesigned the battery placement on its latest eTAP groups so it sits further outboard to allow for larger tires.

Cheers,

Jakub

Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [TheJakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. That confirms I will not build it up with a 11 speed etap.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [TheJakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing I'd be interested to hear from others is how the bottom bracket is doing after a couple hundred miles. The grit in mine (driveside) is unbelievable. It was like that within the first 100 miles.

Good thing is that you can easily get a new one from ceramicspeed, bbinfinte, etc., and you can pop the Cervelo one out in just a couple of minutes.

Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just saw on Instagram that GravelCyclist posted a pic with Enve G23 wheels and in the second pic you can see the cable guide is missing the inner piece. Complete non-issue. We’ll see what the review says.

Last edited by: seeyouincourt: Aug 24, 19 14:08
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i was at a gravel race this summer with a guy who was on an aspero the day after they'd been released. it looked nice, and i wouldn't say no to a free one, but it also looked . . . kind of samey. i'm sure it rides like a champ, but i'm a sucker for something with more character.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent a video to Cervelo support and this is their entire response:

Thank you for the video.

I can see that this bottom bracket is quite contaminated.

We recommend servicing your bottom bracket every 100 hours.

The frequency of this service will be affected by riding conditions.

For example, it may be required to service your bottom bracket after it has been exposed to wet riding conditions.

Any bottom bracket exposed to this amount of contamination will be affected.

I hope this information is helpful,

This, obviously, was not a helpful response. Servicing a BB every 100 hours after telling them I have less than 200 miles in just a couple of weeks? Riding conditions? It's August, in California, so not a lot of rain and mud.

According to Cervelo support, the BB has the wave washer on the drive side, and this tiny little dust seal on the non-drive side. When I say tiny, I mean it is not like a regular GXP dust seal that covers the face of the BB, I mean it is maybe a height of 5mm from the inner 24mm to the outer circumference. But it is not the non-drive side that is toast on the BB, it is the drive-side. Either way, the bike is built exactly the way Cervelo says.

Bottom line, the BB is a goner after less than a dozen hours of riding and their response was: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ riding conditions, bro.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in the market for a road bike and a gravel bike, so I think something like this or the Exploro might tick both boxes; this would avoid the two-bike solution for wives/SO's who do not subscribe to the n+1 standard.

Assuming the stock wheels could handle the weekly shop gravel ride, what would be a good call for road wheels? 404's or Jet 6's with 25/28 mm's and call it a day? Any reason for something exotic like a 4.5 AR?

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on what you mean by the stock wheels. The Alexrim wheels are heavy AF. Those were the first thing to go.

I wouldn’t go so skinny on a road tire either. There is plenty of room for 32s so why not use it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Callin' wrote:
I'm in the market for a road bike and a gravel bike, so I think something like this or the Exploro might tick both boxes; this would avoid the two-bike solution for wives/SO's who do not subscribe to the n+1 standard.

Assuming the stock wheels could handle the weekly shop gravel ride, what would be a good call for road wheels? 404's or Jet 6's with 25/28 mm's and call it a day? Any reason for something exotic like a 4.5 AR?

I use my exploro as a dual purpose bike and so far I have no regrets. Im running Nextie 650b with WTB Resolute 47mm for gravel and Lightbicycle 56mm wheels with Hutchinson Fusion 25mm. Both wheels have DTSwiss 350 centerlock hubs so switching wheel sets is quick and easy. I am using 3T Bailout cassette for both unless I need extra gearing, then I'll switch to my 10-42 cassette. Both the Nextie and Lightbicycle wheelsets have been rock solid and you can get both for less than those mentioned above.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [Tifosi01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been riding it for a few weeks. Rides more like a road bike (when on the road) than other gravel bikes I have ridden (Diverge, Niner). Tire clearance is good, easily fits a 42mm WTB with Enve AR 4.5s.

Cable routing - this is the biggest issue. The rear hydro line is ugly, and routing is poorly executed, IMO. If you run Shimano/mechanical 2x, the routing gets even more chaotic.

For Di2 users going 2x - you will have issues with the point of entry of the etube from the front mechanism, which may interfere with the tire. This is something to be careful of. I have tried a few solutions, nothing I am happy with yet to get the etube out of the area where it could potentially get caught in the tire (when running something where clearance on the the seat stay is limited).

The bike feels well planted when descending, and with a big tire really tracks very well, and does not feel like a road bike. Climbing on road or trail it is nimble, and with road tires/wheels it is more than equipped for 100% road rides. The frame is stiff, especially when out of saddle, but does not transmit an undue amount of trail chatter to the rider.

The lines of the bike are a little funky - the chunky downtube (in size 61 at least) are not the most pleasing, especially with the location of they hydro line running into the frame.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [telemarkskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
telemarkskier wrote:
Cable routing - this is the biggest issue. The rear hydro line is ugly, and routing is poorly executed, IMO.

In all the pics I can barely see the rear hydro line come out of the chainstay. I don't get what's wrong with it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
seeyouincourt wrote:
One thing I'd be interested to hear from others is how the bottom bracket is doing after a couple hundred miles. The grit in mine (driveside) is unbelievable. It was like that within the first 100 miles.

Good thing is that you can easily get a new one from ceramicspeed, bbinfinte, etc., and you can pop the Cervelo one out in just a couple of minutes.

This will be interesting to see. The paths and trails here (Boulder) have been incredibly dustry. Legs and bike always have a nice coating after each ride.

I've only been out for 3 lunch rides (about 50 total miles), but I'm starting to get a feel for the bike.

Each of the below thoughts are in comparison to my Specialized Crux CX bikes and Tarmac Road bike. This is the first "gravel" bike I have ridden.

• On the spectrum of Road Race to Party Machine, the Aspero leans toward the road side of things. It's the Cervelo S-series of the gravel world, where the Party side of the spectrum would be something like the Rodeo Labs Flaanimal.
  • I believe they made the right choice in not spec'ing a fork with mounts (As many have asked for) because this feels like a gravel bike that means serious business. No jokes, just speed. It wants to go fast. It feels best going fast. I'm not sure this is the bike I want to ride loaded down on rough terrain. They marketed it as a "Gravel Race Bike" and the product has achieved that experience.
  • The ride is both more smooth and more harsh than my CX bikes. General gravel road / path chatter is significantly reduced. However, bigger hits (jumps, descending rocky terrain) are transmitted more to the rider (I've ridden this more on singletrack than I have pavement or gravel roads).
  • I can now see the benefit of 650b wheels offroad.
  • The front axle position makes a noticeable difference. Originally mounted in the forward (more rake / less trail) position, the bike dove into corners like a road bike despite the 40c Donnelly tires. However, off-road I felt as though it was searching for grip from the front end. The front had a tendency to "push" and wash out. Moving the axle back, increasing the trail, resulted in a bit slower handling on the road, but a significant increase in "surefootedness" on trails. For me, I'll probably stay in the rear position.
  • Something magical seems to happen above 19mph. I can't describe it but the bike "comes into its own". It's like a horse that's been allowed to break into a gallop (or something?). Each time I feel this, I've just crested 19mph.
  • This is a great bike, for the price it's incredible.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I don’t get it. Where else is the line supposed to exit? I found it super easy to change out the calipers and line and no issue routing through the frame.
Last edited by: seeyouincourt: Aug 28, 19 9:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s an interesting take on the fork flip chip thing, which I haven’t thought of playing with. I have felt that “push,” but considered it part of the fun and maybe getting used to the flare on the drops of the bars (the Enve ones are the same 16 degrees as the Easton one I took off) since I’m not used to descending on dirt in the drops. Other than one ride where I intended a road ride, all the roads I hit are on the way to (or back from) a trail so I don’t think I’ll care about slightly slower handling on the road if it makes for better feel up front on dirt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The entry point in the downtube. There are many better options, as shown by many other companies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
telemarkskier wrote:
The entry point in the downtube. There are many better options, as shown by many other companies.

Makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
???
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Decided to finally pull the trigger and get the teal frameset...only to completely strike out. Out of stock at all the online dealers until mid-December and LBS saying the won’t be able to get one until the new year. Damn.

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I received the bike, I immediately swapped out:
1. Stem for Zipp Service Course SL
2. Bars for Zipp Service Course SL
3. Seatpost for Thompson (wasn't intending to keep, but had laying around and was lighter than the Easton).

Initially, I found the bike to be very harsh in rough / rocky terrain or when landing from "catching a little air".

3 Things really helped:
1. Changed Tires from Donnelly MSO to Schwalbe G-One All-around, which is what I've been running for the past year
2. Changed seatpost to Ritchey Superlogic Flex (which I intended to do to match my CX bikes)
3. Changed Stem to Ritchey WCS C220 Stem.

The combination of these three things took the harshness out of the bike. Each did a notable job of improving the ride quality.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the Aspero. When traveling last week (1 day in NYC), I had wished I brought it instead of renting.

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Something magical seems to happen above 19mph. I can't describe it but the bike "comes into its own". It's like a horse that's been allowed to break into a gallop (or something?). Each time I feel this, I've just crested 19mph.

What's funny is I basically said the same thing to someone a few weeks ago about my Salsa Warbird with respect to riding on the road. On the road it's fairly sluggish and non-responsive until about 19-20 mph and then all of a sudden it's like something releases and it's ready to fly.

On gravel though it feels great at all speeds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this post sucks without pics

going to go this route soon... gonna get the frameset and spec it with GRX di2.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
this post sucks without pics

going to go this route soon... gonna get the frameset and spec it with GRX di2.

Ha, which post?

2 weeks ago I was climbing from Estes to the the Top of Fall River Road (~11,500ft el), last week I was doing laps around Central Park.

3 Recent Rides:

"Secret Groad" - Lefthand OHV Trails

Heading up Old Fall River Road- Rocky Mountain National Park

On our way to Central Park

Last edited by: xtrpickels: Oct 7, 19 11:03
Quote Reply

Prev Next