Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t think it was underrated. They just got caught with their pants down with the rate of change for how big people were gonna go with tire size.

Same thing happened with the p4. They made a super fast bike and as they’re releasing it. Zipp rolls out the firecrest and super 9.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw it in Moxie today...it is Fuego. So...why are these three paint jobs so amazing and most of the rest of their lineup is lame like everyone else in the industry?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jul 18, 19 19:41
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny, saw this thread this morning and get to work and we have one to build.

It has a variable FC by about 5mm each way. So you can have it tight or a bit long depending on your style. (I love this idea and wish others would follow dan at premier and do it on TT bikes)

Top tube has two bolts but the black plastic thing covers it if you want it clean.

I didn’t like the colour in pics, but have to admit it is very cool in person..sort of a metallic olive.

Half way done, so can answer some questions and more tomorrow with pics.

*not affiliated with cervelo, just work at a great shop a day a week*

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 this is not the C3 I bought... mine is a 1x and much more gravelly looking in the picture. They've slammed the stem in this pic and made it look more roady.

ABarnes wrote:
such an underrated bike, but it just didn't do what O.P.E.N. did. Then the paint was completely uninspired. It became the Neither/Nor bike of the brand

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericMPro: Jul 19, 19 2:49
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a New Bike Year for me, but potentially a Gravel Bike Year. If so, right now this is the one, based on geometry, a killer fit (for my position), capabilities, aesthetics and price.*

*Allied Cycles Able also very nice, but would be a shed load of coin once imported to Switzerland.
Last edited by: duncan: Jul 19, 19 4:32
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [Ex-cyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heath,

I was talking to one of the top bike/tri shops in my area a few weeks ago. We got talking about what people are buying for "road bikes" today and what if he could just stock one bike! This is that bike!

If you are doing full on licensed category bike racing, then by all means get a full on aero road bike (that's probably less than 10% of the road riding population) for everyone else - buy this bike! The range if what you can do with it is extraordinary!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
signature Cannondale paint scheme rip off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sweet! Getting so much life outta that ride! Still looks like you've got 6600 on there?

That era was my favourite R3. Simple and easy, _just_ a bike. Sorta like the aspero (dumb name) but with some modern takes on "just" a bike. Gonna have to ride one to see what the handling characteristics are all about.

Do you ever ride anything that is begging for more than 25s?

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The C series is such a swing and a miss. Gravel was already on the rise, and they still went with tight tire clearance? Sure, design process is years in the making but i feel like this came about quick, enough to merit a change. Hell, Tarmac and Madone will take 30s these days.

A bike designed around a UCI rule. Dumb. Hopefully they dump the C's. Course it begs why this isn't called a G!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you ever ride anything that is begging for more than 25s?

No, but most of the gravel that I do ride on in my area is on rail-trails - which tends to have this finer aggregate, and when it's packed down, is fine with a 700 x 25, with a little bit less air in it. Ditto for most of the gravel roads - more or less it's "good gravel" - not super big aggregate and reasonably packed down. In the car tire tracks - it's like riding on pavement. Can get a bot lose outside of that and you do need to pay attention to things. And - for the most part flat no real big hills!

I have ridden for a few longer rides a loaner what would be considered more a Gravel Bike with 700 X 32 tires (or maybe bigger - not sure) and I can see how the larger tire volume inspires more confidence at speed - particularly when you hit rougher patches or it get's really lose all of a sudden.

So If I had such a bike - perhaps this new Aspero, there are other roads/trails that I might explore.

One REALLY nice thing about gravel roads - VERY few cars. Last summer near our cottage, while rolling along a gravel road on my road bike, a car slowed down and asked me if I was OK/Lost - when was the last time that happened on a paved road?

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jul 22, 19 16:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
One REALLY nice thing about gravel roads - VERY few cars.
Totally, while I get that a lot of folks are being attracted to gravel for "less cars" for me it's "more silence"

Fleck wrote:
Last summer near our cottage, while rolling along a gravel road on my road bike, a car slowed down and asked me if I was OK/Lost - when was the last time that happened on a paved road?
🤦‍♂️

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Side note,

18.32 pounds when I set up tubeless including lots of stans. With steerer tube high and uncut. Otherwise stock.

Without much thought I think you could get at about 16.5.

Really liking this bike, if I was forced to buy one bike this would probably be it.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My current bike of choice would have been a 3T Exploro but the price is killing me. I still prefer it but this new Aspero looks to be a great alternative.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size and which group/model was it?

Traveling to Portland in a couple weeks and one of the stores has one in stock my size. Hoping they don’t sell it before then so I can check it out and maybe take it for a quick spin

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Force etap AXS 1x size 54....so at this point I think the only ones they sent out were top line models.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mauricemaher wrote:
Side note,

18.32 pounds when I set up tubeless including lots of stans. With steerer tube high and uncut. Otherwise stock.

Really liking this bike, if I was forced to buy one bike this would probably be it.

Maurice

Which build did you go with??

I've got an ok gravel bike, but - I'm considering an upgrade.
This is now on the short list, along with Exploro and UP (UPPER is just too much cake to justify)

Was thinking of new wheelset for the current steed, but to do that right, it's gonna be like $1.2-$1.5k, and then it's still a heavy, aero brick with nice wheels.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
mauricemaher wrote:
Side note,

Maurice

Which build did you go with??

I've got an ok gravel bike, but - I'm considering an upgrade.
This is now on the short list, along with Exploro and UP (UPPER is just too much cake to justify)

Was thinking of new wheelset for the current steed, but to do that right, it's gonna be like $1.2-$1.5k, and then it's still a heavy, aero brick with nice wheels.

Not my build but it showed up at the shop and I ended up building it, force1x hydro etap, DT Swiss tubeless hoops...basically the high end off the shelf.

If you really wanted to weight weeny this: slam stem, change bar, change crank and saddle, remove down tube bash guard (200gm) etc.

For me though 18 off the shelf with cages and 200 grams of Stan’s is fine.

Aesthetically I don’t like the out swooping gravel bar...what is the advantage? I know it gets you wider and more stable on the downs...I just don’t like the look/style.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a lot of good info or pictures on the cervelo website, can you explain a bit more on how the top tube bento box mount and/or mount cover works? Thanks.

Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Not a lot of good info or pictures on the cervelo website, can you explain a bit more on how the top tube bento box mount and/or mount cover works? Thanks.

Greg @ dsw

Basically, just a mount. Two holes spaced water bottle length apart. The plastic piece just snaps in if you want a clean look and a bit of protection from elements etc.

You could put your bag, or any other bag there provided it fits with stem etc.

ETA: the holes are recessed a bit so the plastic is flush with the top tube.

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Jul 24, 19 6:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pulled this image from the Contender Bicycles blog

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks!

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I wanted to get his bike and make it my gravel bike / Enduro bike (swap wheels) would I be making a good purchase?

Gone with the wind

Instagram: palmtreestriathlon
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realize I'm in the minority here, but I love my C5. It all depends on what you're looking to do with the bike. I was looking for an ultra comfortable road bike that I could put tons of training miles on crappy paved(ish) back roads without feeling beat up, and maybe occassionally ride a gravel road or two. The bike is perfect for that. I think the main problem with the C series is that Cervvelo tried to market it as a bike that's 'capable of being ridden in gravel'. While that's absolutely true, that doesn't mean that it's a gravel bike. It's sort of an in-betweener between gravel bikes and endurance road bikes, which put it in a wierd middle ground that some folks have a hard time getting their head around. They want to put it in one of those boxes, and it's not exactly either. Doesn't mean it's not a fantastic bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [palmtrees] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
palmtrees wrote:
If I wanted to get his bike and make it my gravel bike / Enduro bike (swap wheels) would I be making a good purchase?

I’m guessing you mean Endurance rather than Enduro. If that’s the case, then I. Think this would be a good choice. Light weight, short chain stats, adjustable trail, probably a bit more aero than most gravel bikes. It’s on my list along with the 3T exploro and Open UP to have one bike for road and gravel

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervélo Áspero [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt. My critique is less of the bike and more of the decision making by POM/Cervelo. Creating a UCI (CX) bike that's limited in what it can expand to handle while okay for TT applications seems short sighted for anything in the "road-ish" category.

Quote Reply

Prev Next