Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
but I'm pretty sure Canada doesn't extradite unless the death penalty is taken off the table.

I'm not a legal expert, but given Texas law, I don't think a prosecutor would seek capital punishment for the type of murder she apparently committed. So taking it "off the table" may (in theory) be a non-issue. (e.g. here's a description of the Texas "capital murder")
Last edited by: trail: May 25, 22 15:32
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What the f....

Quote:
The Austin police department revealed Wednesday that Kaitlin Armstrong — the suspect wanted in the murder of gravel star Moriah “Mo” Wilson — could already be in police custody except a birth date discrepancy prevented her from being arrested.
In a press conference Wednesday, police officials said that their “report management system” showed Armstrong to have a birth date in April that did not match the date of birth on an unrelated misdemeanor warrant that police used to bring her in for questioning.
Police investigators interviewed her on May 12, just one day after Wilson was found shot dead in a friend’s apartment in Austin.
“Because of the discrepancy, we couldn’t arrest her,” an officer said Wednesday.
Nearly two weeks after Wilson’s murder, Armstrong has since gone on the lam.

https://www.velonews.com/...-wilson-murder-case/

Suffer Well.
Last edited by: jmh: May 25, 22 16:34
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
What the f....

Quote:
The Austin police department revealed Wednesday that Kaitlin Armstrong — the suspect wanted in the murder of gravel star Moriah “Mo” Wilson — could already be in police custody except a birth date discrepancy prevented her from being arrested.
In a press conference Wednesday, police officials said that their “report management system” showed Armstrong to have a birth date in April that did not match the date of birth on an unrelated misdemeanor warrant that police used to bring her in for questioning.
Police investigators interviewed her on May 12, just one day after Wilson was found shot dead in a friend’s apartment in Austin.
“Because of the discrepancy, we couldn’t arrest her,” an officer said Wednesday.

This is probably why APD came out right away and said there was no threat to the community. Which is typical when detectives have already identified a prime suspect and that suspect is already in custody or has been arrested on an unrelated warrant/probation violation. If not for a clerical error she would be off the streets. The hunt continues until she slips up.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [jmh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmh wrote:
What the f....

Quote:

What was the unrelated misdemeanor warrant though? Was it something made up to bring her in? I know this case is seemingly clear cut, but allowing police to do sloppy work when they have the governmental granted power to ruin or end lives is a recipe for disaster.

Let's imagine some with another common name, 'John Smith' is brought in for a misdemeanor but the birthdate written by the officer oes not match the license. Is it possible the cop made a careless mistake? Of course. Is is possible they have the wrong John Smith? Of course. In America the presumption is innocent until proven guilty. The cops did not prove they had the correct guilty person, therefore no arrest. Don't be mad at the system, be mad at the sloppy work by the police.

Also, it says she had a Class-B arrest warrant. I have to believe this means a Bench Warrant. No idea what hers was for, but people have gotten Bench Warrants for things like unpaid parking tickets.

Really this sounds to me like she got away not because of holes in the system, but because there was not yet enough evidence collected for her arrest.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
someone forwarded me the article in the Austin Statesman with the full affidavit for the arrest warrant. cyclist bro could end up being charged as an accessory as well. Such a terrible story.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Really this sounds to me like she got away not because of holes in the system, but because there was not yet enough evidence collected for her arrest.

Pretty much the exact opposite of ...

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
jmh wrote:
What the f....

Quote:

What was the unrelated misdemeanor warrant though? Was it something made up to bring her in? I know this case is seemingly clear cut, but allowing police to do sloppy work when they have the governmental granted power to ruin or end lives is a recipe for disaster.

Let's imagine some with another common name, 'John Smith' is brought in for a misdemeanor but the birthdate written by the officer oes not match the license. Is it possible the cop made a careless mistake? Of course. Is is possible they have the wrong John Smith? Of course. In America the presumption is innocent until proven guilty. The cops did not prove they had the correct guilty person, therefore no arrest. Don't be mad at the system, be mad at the sloppy work by the police.

Also, it says she had a Class-B arrest warrant. I have to believe this means a Bench Warrant. No idea what hers was for, but people have gotten Bench Warrants for things like unpaid parking tickets.

I wonder too at what point she became the main suspect as opposed to the guy? I mean, it's almost always the guy doing the killing in these sorts of circumstances, it wouldn't surprise me if they were focused on him.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Vetratten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vetratten wrote:
If you read the police affidavit that was floated around he bought a gun for himself and a gun for her. Granted I get it's Texas, but man he knew his girlfriend was calling and harassing her.....and he was still running around with her.....and then he buys her a gun.

I'd be shocked if Wilson's family doesn't try to go after him in civil court over her death because he was just asking for something to escalate.

Pretty sure it's not legal to buy a handgun for another person, at least not from a licensed dealer. He would have either had to lie on his background check / disclosure paperwork or buy on the secondary market.
Last edited by: shotts: May 26, 22 7:38
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [shotts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
shotts wrote:
Pretty sure it's not legal to buy a handgun for another person, at least not from a licensed dealer. He would have either had to lie on his background check / disclosure paperwork or buy on the secondary market.

Again NAL but from my understanding it's perfectly legal to buy a new gun from a dealer in which you intend to give as a gift assuming the person is not barred from owning one and you both live in the same state. So unless she was already flagged as a person not legally allowed to have a gun, totally legal since it was a dealer and it was new. When I last bought a gun (in New England) I was asked if It was for me or someone else. No idea if I said "for my wife/girlfriend/whatever" how it would have changed the sale, I presume would have to give them the information for a background check in them as well.

My brief Google search confirmed this from the national shooting sports foundation. I am suspect that Texas has any law forbidding the purchase either but I've been wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:

I wonder too at what point she became the main suspect as opposed to the guy?

Very quickly, from a read of the affidavit. Murder on the 11th, Armstrong interviewed on the 12th with the detective saying that "things don't look too good" for her.
Last edited by: trail: May 26, 22 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I imagine they have video of him dropping Mo off on his motorcycle following their swim/dinner "date" and then Armstrong's Jeep shows up minutes later. I've only seen a still picture of the Jeep in an article so I"m not sure exactly what is shown on video, but I think law enforcenmenty could easily verify his story via video and phone tracking.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Vetratten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vetratten wrote:
shotts wrote:

Again NAL but from my understanding it's perfectly legal to buy a new gun from a dealer in which you intend to give as a gift assuming the person is not barred from owning one and you both live in the same state. So unless she was already flagged as a person not legally allowed to have a gun, totally legal since it was a dealer and it was new. When I last bought a gun (in New England) I was asked if It was for me or someone else. No idea if I said "for my wife/girlfriend/whatever" how it would have changed the sale, I presume would have to give them the information for a background check in them as well.

My brief Google search confirmed this from the national shooting sports foundation. I am suspect that Texas has any law forbidding the purchase either but I've been wrong.

Americans bought and gifted PLENTY of guns for Irish terrorists in the 1970s - 1990s without any background checks as to the suitability of the recipients 🤔.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems likely Armstrong will be found soon. Assuming she is guilty, she doesn't appear to be a very "smart" criminal.

The murder weapon was found at her home - not only did she not get rid of it after the crime, but she brought it back to her home.

She made no effort to alter her appearance while fleeing from Austin to NY - didn't cut her hair, didn't alter the color, didn't wear a hat or glasses. "Hey world, it's me"

She's traveling with her yoga mat. The pain of Wilson's family and loved ones is unimaginable, but then to see that the killer ensured she'd have a nice comfy space to practice her yoga while on the run.... ugh.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Vetratten wrote:
shotts wrote:

Americans bought and gifted PLENTY of guns for Irish terrorists in the 1970s - 1990s without any background checks as to the suitability of the recipients 🤔.

"For my friends, everything. For my enemies, the law"
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Life360... as any parent would know
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:

I'm a parent and I don't know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

The US Marshals Fugitive Task Force is very good at finding people. They would have already known if she hopped on another flight so not likely given the article.

My already fairly low opinion of police has gotten even lower over the last few years, but mention US Marshals and my mind still goes to "I didn't kill my wife!"/"I don't care!"
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [refthimos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yoga mat could double as fugitive bed roll
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got to say the sequel they made (US Marshalls) with Robert Downey Jr wasn't too bad either and a fun watch while on the treadmill/trainer.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
dalava wrote:

Now you do, and you kids will hate me.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

The US Marshals Fugitive Task Force is very good at finding people. They would have already known if she hopped on another flight so not likely given the article.

My already fairly low opinion of police has gotten even lower over the last few years, but mention US Marshals and my mind still goes to "I didn't kill my wife!"/"I don't care!"

On top of one of the best movie references, you have my favorite username Ive ever seen....ahh I crack up every time they say it.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
dalava wrote:

Now you do, and you kids will hate me.

I have no need or interest in using something like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
refthimos wrote:
It seems likely Armstrong will be found soon. Assuming she is guilty, she doesn't appear to be a very "smart" criminal.
The murder weapon was found at her home - not only did she not get rid of it after the crime, but she brought it back to her home.

She made no effort to alter her appearance while fleeing from Austin to NY - didn't cut her hair, didn't alter the color, didn't wear a hat or glasses. "Hey world, it's me"

She's traveling with her yoga mat. The pain of Wilson's family and loved ones is unimaginable, but then to see that the killer ensured she'd have a nice comfy space to practice her yoga while on the run.... ugh.

Well I was certainly wrong on this one - she's still on the run. Over two weeks since the arrest warrant was issued and they still haven't found her.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The US Marshalls vs. a 35 year old yoga teacher. Who would win?
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's no DB Cooper, that's for sure

Not even a Brian Laundrie

They'll find her, eventually

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply

Prev Next