Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Mo Wilson Killed in Austin
Quote | Reply
Mo Wilson was in Austin ahead of the Gravel Loco's 150 race that happened yesterday. Shot and killed on Wednesday evening. According to the article there is a suspect and it doesn't appear to have been a random event.

Over the last year or so I've listened to a few podcasts with her and she was so lovely. Until recently she had a regular full time job with Specialized. Only quit this year to focus on racing full-time. This year she had already won the Sea Otter mountain bike race (thus in the lead for the Lifetime series), BWR and likely would have been the favorite for UnBound. So tragic!

https://www.cyclingnews.com/...son-killed-in-texas/
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn what a tragic outcome. Does anyone know what the hell happened?
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Damn what a tragic outcome. Does anyone know what the hell happened?

The police have kept a tight lid on the investigation. The speed at which a person of interest was identified and apparent lack of questions from family and friends lead me to believe it may be domestic violence related. So very tragic.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jesus.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably unrelated, but Amity Rockwell's instagram account has been deleted.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Very much unrelated considering that Strava shows that Amity was in San Francisco on the day of the shooting.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [avatar78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I noticed Amity, Maude, and a couple of Mo's other close friends have deleted their IG accounts. I suspect so that they can get away from the constant reminder and barrage on social and take some time to mourn and heal.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [RJones07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RJones07 wrote:

I noticed Amity, Maude, and a couple of Mo's other close friends have deleted their IG accounts. I suspect so that they can get away from the constant reminder and barrage on social and take some time to mourn and heal.

100%. I think they're all devastated.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
According to the article, “the shooting does not appear to be a random act”. This would also make you think it was a domestic violence type situation. No matter the circumstances, it’s very sad news.

Also, looking at other news articles, I didn’t realize Austin was having rising problems with homicides. Interesting!
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
According to the article, “the shooting does not appear to be a random act”. This would also make you think it was a domestic violence type situation. No matter the circumstances, it’s very sad news.

Also, looking at other news articles, I didn’t realize Austin was having rising problems with homicides. Interesting!

Also, the "there is no threat to the public" usually means they know who did it which usually means domestic violence of some sort.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.kxan.com/...ing-of-gravel-racer/

I don't know whether it was a "domestic violence" type situation, but I find it incredibly odd how little information has been released at this pioint. From what I've seen so far, it seems like a nearby camera recorded an SUV arriving at the house around 8:30 pm and the murder occurred about 10pm. A friend then found her when she returned to the house around 10:30 pm. The police have now searched a nearby home where the SUV was found parked. Even if this were a domestic situation, I find it odd that the police have not identified and put out some sort of BOLO for the "person of interest," i.e., the driver of the SUV. Even if they feel this person of interest is not a "threat to the public," like the APD previously stated in the article linked by another poster, it seems odd that they have not apprehended the person a week after the murder. As a side note, how can a police spokesperson claim that an unapprehended person who just shot and killed a woman is NOT a threat to the public?
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sake wrote:
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/search-warrant-obtained-for-south-austin-home-after-deadly-shooting-of-gravel-racer/

I don't know whether it was a "domestic violence" type situation, but I find it incredibly odd how little information has been released at this pioint. From what I've seen so far, it seems like a nearby camera recorded an SUV arriving at the house around 8:30 pm and the murder occurred about 10pm. A friend then found her when she returned to the house around 10:30 pm. The police have now searched a nearby home where the SUV was found parked. Even if this were a domestic situation, I find it odd that the police have not identified and put out some sort of BOLO for the "person of interest," i.e., the driver of the SUV. Even if they feel this person of interest is not a "threat to the public," like the APD previously stated in the article linked by another poster, it seems odd that they have not apprehended the person a week after the murder. As a side note, how can a police spokesperson claim that an unapprehended person who just shot and killed a woman is NOT a threat to the public?

My guess is the person is lawyered up and has some sort of explanation for the situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sake wrote:
I find it odd that the police have not identified and put out some sort of BOLO for the "person of interest

What makes you think the police haven't been able to locate the person? It's possible, just haven't seen it.

This isn't unusual. The police may be questioning the person and gathering evidence before the person is converted from person-of-interest to suspect. While that process is underway, you don't want to release everything you know to the press so the people being questioned know what the police know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Austin Police Department stated the following on May 14th:
Quote:
On Wednesday, May 11, 2022, at approximately 9:56 P.M., Austin Police Department (APD Officers) responded to an emergency call at 1708 Maple Ave #B. A woman told 9-1-1 dispatch she returned home to find her friend bleeding and unconscious. Investigators arrived at the scene and discovered a 25-year-old female with multiple gunshot wounds. Officers and EMS performed life-saving measures. However, the victim died from her injuries. The victim is Anna Moriah Wilson. Wilson was pronounced deceased at 10:10 P.M. by Dr. Escott.

Therefore I believe the kxan article is mixing up the details a bit, as the shooting did not happen at 9:56, as by that time the friend had already placed the call. I believe the shooting must have happened between 8:36 and 9:56.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [141] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I caught that too and just sloppily summarized things. I looked at that address on google maps and there is a brand new townhouse with what appears to be outdoor cameras looking right over the area. I wonder if that is where APD got the video showing the SUV arrive. Sounds like they located the suspect's vehicle yesterday and started searching it and the house where it was located. They may or may not have located the person of interest, but I can't imagine that it will take too long to convert that person to "suspect in custody" once located as this does not seem like a "whodunit" type of case.
Last edited by: sake: May 18, 22 9:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope as well that we get an update from the police soon. The whole story is shocking and hard to believe. As for the person having a lawyer and having an explanation, I struggle to find any plausible explanation. Even the most far fetched theory of self defense doesn't explain why one would leave a person to bleed out and die without calling police. It seems very clearly cold blooded murder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
141 wrote:
I hope as well that we get an update from the police soon. The whole story is shocking and hard to believe. As for the person having a lawyer and having an explanation, I struggle to find any plausible explanation. Even the most far fetched theory of self defense doesn't explain why one would leave a person to bleed out and die without calling police. It seems very clearly cold blooded murder.

Well yeah, but life can be stranger than fiction some times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If rumors are true, the story gets far more shocking and no less tragic.

Word is the person of interest has been taking into custody, but haven't seen that verified in news coverage.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: May 18, 22 13:11
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [2brokenhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2brokenhips wrote:
In today's Boston Globe. Either the male cyclist or his female roommate did it? Vermont native slain in Texas had plans for a swim in the hours before she was killed, court documents say - The Boston Globe

Can’t get to the article without subscribing?

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vermont native slain in Texas had plans for a swim in the hours before she was killed, court documents say
By Travis Andersen Globe Staff,Updated May 19, 2022, 1:19 p.m.

Anna Moriah Wilson was a varsity skier at Dartmouth College.DARTMOUTH COLLEGE ATHLETICS
Anna Moriah Wilson, the 25-year-old Dartmouth graduate and professional gravel cyclist slain last week in Austin, Texas, days before a race, told a friend hours before her death that she was going for a swim with a male cyclist, according to legal filings that detailed Wilson’s final hours.
The information was contained in a police affidavit and warrant filed in Austin Municipal Court in connection with the case. No arrests have been made. Wilson was shot multiple times inside a friend’s apartment on Maple Avenue in Austin on the night of May 11, police have said.
Authorities have said the shooting did not appear to be random and that detectives have identified a person of interest.
Advertisement

The affidavit said the friend told investigators she had picked up Wilson, a Vermont native, from the airport May 10, and that Wilson was in town to compete in a race May 14 in the Dallas area.
The friend, the affidavit said, indicated she left her apartment around 5:30 p.m. on May 11 and later received a text from Wilson who said she was meeting a male friend for a swim. The report names the male friend, but the Globe is withholding his name because he hasn’t been charged with a crime.
Wilson’s female friend told police she returned to her apartment shortly before 10 that night and saw Wilson lying on the bathroom floor “covered in blood,” said the affidavit. Wilson had apparently accessed the key code to enter her friend’s apartment at 5:55 p.m., the affidavit said.
The code was accessed again at 8:36 p.m., the filing said. A neighbor’s surveillance footage showed an SUV pulling up to the Maple Avenue apartment at that time, and the vehicle resembled an SUV registered to a woman who lives with the male cyclist, according to the affidavit.
Advertisement

Police learned that the woman owns a property in Austin on Manchester Circle, the affidavit said, and they obtained a warrant to search that residence the day after the murder, with legal filings indicating they were seeking possible firearm, blood, and trace evidence connected to the slaying.
It wasn’t immediately clear what, if anything, police seized from the Manchester Circle property.
The affidavit said Wilson was shot multiple times with a 9mm handgun. The male cyclist, in an interview with police the day after the murder, said he and the woman he lives with both own 9mm guns, according to the affidavit.
The male cyclist, the affidavit said, told police he and the woman he lives with had purchased their handguns at McBride’s gun store in Austin. He stated that he usually keeps the gun inside a case in the residence and has never shot it. He said he has two different types of ammunition, which he described as practice ammunition and ‘kill’ ammunition.”
The male cyclist told police he went swimming with Wilson at a city pool before dropping her off at her friend’s residence around 8:30 p.m. on May 11.
Attempts to reach the male cyclist and the woman he lives with for comment weren’t successful Thursday.
Wilson was an accomplished collegiate skier who grew up mountain biking near her East Burke, Vt., home. She had won several off-road cycling events this year and arrived in Texas as a favorite in her next race.
Advertisement

Her death came just a few days before Gravel Locos, a 150-mile race in Hico, Texas.
Her parents, Eric and Karen Wilson, said in a recent statement posted to the Facebook page of the middle school their daughter attended that she was always “pushing tirelessly to reach her goals, we knew she was pursuing that which she loved. We will miss her terribly and know that all mourn her with us.”
A number of Wilson’s friends and competitors in the close-knit cycling community have taken to social media in recent days to offer tributes, including former cycling teammate Alison M. Tetrick.
“All of the moments and times and pedaling spent together were cherished then and treasured now and forever,” Tetrick posted to Instagram on Monday. “The world seems so much smaller without you, @mo__wilson. Nothing seems as important as just being able to see you and witness all of your gracious and kind power. To know you are thriving in all you wanted to do.”
Tetrick said Wilson possessed thoughtfulness and warmth.
“You were and are pure magical magnetic strength and humility,” Tetrick wrote. “I have never met someone that tackled every course and task with such pure, peaceful joy, and tenacity. ... We became @iamspecialized teammates, colleagues, friends, and committed bike family. Your life was just getting started and it was bigger than this world deserved. I am devastated and 💔. I pray for your family and all of us who loved you and were inspired by you.”
Advertisement

Tetrick also shared some of the final words she had exchanged with Wilson.
“Some of the last words we had just a little bit ago was similar to what I said when I first met you. ‘You are stronger than you know. Own it. I am so goddamn proud of you. And I love you,’ ” Tetrick wrote. “You told me to keep being me and you loved me.”
Wilson’s slaying, Tetrick continued, was a “senseless” tragedy.
“Maybe the world couldn’t harness everything you were supposed to be,” wrote Tetrick. “I am angry and lost. But I will try my best to keep being me for YOU. I love you, Mo. I always will. In my ❤️, we are still sitting on this curb or pedaling along with laughter as you charge up the hills and keep discovering more strength than ever thought possible and spreading your light and joy to all. Charge on my dear friend. We love you. You are our family. May we carry your ⭐️ with us forever. It will not be the same without you.”
Material from prior Globe stories was used in this report.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the cyclist's girlfriend did it...

or he did it?

No wonder it's taking some time to sort things out.

I would imagine it could complicate things if the murderer used the gun of their partner rather than their own gun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
im hearing of a "famous" gravel racer and his GF.

She pulled the trigger...he did NOT turn her in.

stay tuned.

http://www.pbmcoaching.com
USA Triathlon Level 3 Elite Coach
USA Cycling Level 1 Elite Coach

Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [trukweaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trukweaz wrote:
im hearing of a "famous" gravel racer and his GF.

She pulled the trigger...he did NOT turn her in.

stay tuned.

be careful here. do not attempt to identify anyone. do not attempt to describe someone in a way that he or she could be identified by the description.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next