Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Longboarder wrote:
Sponsor cuts ties with Strickland.

https://www.velonews.com/...M8UZLinDUxjybU8t67NU

I'm one of those "it depends" cancel culture folks. I feel this one is way way too soon. Whackadoodle girlfriend nets you a loss of your job essentially? That's ridiculous.

I'm sure he won't be able to sue though as they probably have some kind of "image" related clauses in their contracts to give them an out.

It all boils down to this...

"Hey aren't you the company sponsoring the dude that cheated on his girlfriend which lead to girlfriend murdering the other woman with a gun he bought for her?"

Not something any company wants to hear about someone they're sponsoring.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: May 24, 22 10:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the bare minimum, it's tough to sell the image of "Privateer Pickup Artist" to the sponsors in 2022

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
Conservative fantasies aside ("cancel culture?" seriously?) image is what sports sponsorship is all about, isn't it?
An acknowledged liar who bought the murder weapon doesn't fit the bill.

Totally agree on the image part. The second part is a nod to "guilty until proven innocent" and speculation.

Cancel culture isn't a fantasy. I'm a liberal. It does exist. I just vehemently disagree with the right with when they choose to be upset about it versus when I do.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
At the bare minimum, it's tough to sell the image of "Privateer Pickup Artist" to the sponsors in 2022

Particularly when it contributes to someone getting murdered.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Morelock wrote:

Particularly when it contributes to someone getting murdered.

I feel dumb now as I hadn't heard about the gun ownership implication part prior. I kept seeing it in the last couple comments and thinking "what is all this about".

The articles I had read had not included that, yet. That changes things more than a little bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you read the police affidavit that was floated around he bought a gun for himself and a gun for her. Granted I get it's Texas, but man he knew his girlfriend was calling and harassing her.....and he was still running around with her.....and then he buys her a gun.

I'd be shocked if Wilson's family doesn't try to go after him in civil court over her death because he was just asking for something to escalate.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Vetratten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vetratten wrote:
If you read the police affidavit that was floated around he bought a gun for himself and a gun for her. Granted I get it's Texas, but man he knew his girlfriend was calling and harassing her.....and he was still running around with her.....and then he buys her a gun.

I'd be shocked if Wilson's family doesn't try to go after him in civil court over her death because he was just asking for something to escalate.

If only there was a good guy there with a gun
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Vetratten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vetratten wrote:

Where Texas or Vermont (I think that's where she was from)? I think that might have an influence on the outcome.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This sums it up.

Every time his name gets mentioned it will be bring up thoughts of this case not his sporting achievements. Nobody wants their brand linked to that. Rightly or wrongly I’d be amazed if any marketing department ever go within a mile of him.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Where Texas or Vermont (I think that's where she was from)? I think that might have an influence on the outcome.

I'm not a lawyer but my understanding you have to serve and try a case in the jurisdiction of the defendent for civil cases. He lives in Texas so it would be Texas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Longboarder wrote:
Sponsor cuts ties with Strickland.

https://www.velonews.com/...M8UZLinDUxjybU8t67NU

I'm one of those "it depends" cancel culture folks. I feel this one is way way too soon. Whackadoodle girlfriend nets you a loss of your job essentially? That's ridiculous.

I'm sure he won't be able to sue though as they probably have some kind of "image" related clauses in their contracts to give them an out.

Sure. But right or wrong, it’s a no brainer for sponsors. They’ll just sponsor another athlete who is not in the spotlight for something negative.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the sponsors probably paid Colin the penalties, provided by the contract, in the event of early termination
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Toolish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toolish wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Did a search on here for this, but it doesn't seem we ever had a thread on the death of Mary Knott, who was pretty well known triathlete who died in a murder-suicide. https://www.oxygen.com/...cide-by-ex-boyfriend

That one also essentially caused the downfall of the Transitions forum. Not that I am trying to compare that to a loss of life in any way.

Holy Sh*t... I knew that Hilton died, but I didn't know the rest of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
the sponsors probably paid Colin the penalties, provided by the contract, in the event of early termination

Not necessarily. It's not uncommon for sponsorship agreements to have a morality clause which would allow for termination without penalty.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EyeRunMD wrote:
Herbert wrote:
The whole thing is crazy and sad. So someone purportedly kills someone to have “a lover” to themselves, but then has to run far away from that lover and likely will never see that person again because they are hunted by the police and likely end up in jail

kny wrote:
Running off to Mexico is easy. The hard part comes next.

Yeah that's what I don't get about people who do these type of things. Call it a "crime of passion" if you will but the thinking it through part of the equation is not there.

I can confirm this

Although it wasn't the husband that came after me*, it was my ex-girlfriend, herself, blaming me when her husband wouldn't take her back

I guess she figured that if I was gone, he'd trust her again? I don't know; I didn't ask

* I know, I know - should've stayed away from the married person; been around that all before ... no need to rehash it here

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: May 25, 22 6:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Herbert wrote:
The whole thing is crazy and sad. So someone purportedly kills someone to have “a lover” to themselves, but then has to run far away from that lover and likely will never see that person again because they are hunted by the police and likely end up in jail

kny wrote:

There's also the possibility she killed herself already.

Probably not in Mexico...and not in Austin as authorities suggested yesterday...https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/murder-suspect-flew-out-of-austin-to-new-york-days-after-cyclists-death/

Team Saunders on YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:

Except Red Bull. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Morelock wrote:

i have observed with interest this brand's recent decisions.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
trail wrote:
Morelock wrote:

i have observed with interest this brand's recent decisions.

No joke, Horner...ewww :D

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [TSTriATX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TSTriATX wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Herbert wrote:

kny wrote:

There's also the possibility she killed herself already.

Probably not in Mexico...and not in Austin as authorities suggested yesterday...https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/murder-suspect-flew-out-of-austin-to-new-york-days-after-cyclists-death/

The US Marshals Fugitive Task Force is very good at finding people. They would have already known if she hopped on another flight so not likely given the article.

I wonder if she took a drive to Canada.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Her passport would be flagged so she would have to cross outside of a border crossing.
She would still get arrested and held, but I'm pretty sure Canada doesn't extradite unless the death penalty is taken off the table.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Her passport would be flagged so she would have to cross outside of a border crossing.
She would still get arrested and held, but I'm pretty sure Canada doesn't extradite unless the death penalty is taken off the table.

There was no warrant for her arrest yet.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

There was no warrant for her arrest yet.

US Marshals just have to ask the CBSA if she crossed. They would already know if she was in Canada and article does not say that.
So, if she's in Canada, she didn't use a border checkpoint.
Quote Reply
Re: Mo Wilson Killed in Austin [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you’re crossing in a vehicle they don’t always put you in the system. Often times they just look at the passport and wave you through.

Just spitballing why they may not know she’s in Canada. Most likely she’s somewhere in the NYC area and didn’t risk a border crossing.

Quote Reply

Prev Next