Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, Kitajima was gracious in defeat and is still a hero here. He is generally credited with ushering in a whole generation of strong swimmers - he showed that a skinny little Japanese dude can compete at the international level, and a lot of guys took that seriously and followed in his footsteps, ultimately resulting in the 11 medals this year. The medley relay was a fitting end to an awesome Olympic career, pulling his team to the silver.

The Canadian women were THAT close to making it to the finals - they showed class and were on the short end of some questionable calls. Of course I'm pulling for Japan in the finals! Should be a good one - although Japan haven't been playing well the last two games.

devashish_paul wrote:
By the way, awesome breast leg by Kitajima in the 4x100 medley relay. He delivered Japan to the front for his teammates...I am sure he was taking a lot of heat in the Japan media over his individual races. I was hoping it would be a Canada Japan final for the women's soccer, but good luck to your team vs. USA (or are you going for USA???)
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Simon is out for sure. That is brutal. This is going to bite him in the ass after what he said about everything else this week.

Karma is a bitch
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [zamm0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zamm0 wrote:
i'm only winding you up. there's only one medal.

--
Hey I'm Australian and for us this Olympics it is all about the Silver!!

--
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was under the impression that Australia was boycotting this Olympic Games.
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eganski wrote:
I was under the impression that Australia was boycotting this Olympic Games.

---

We plan on winning the after-party..

--
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [jaelinfunk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not only that, Simon was barely relevant, regardless of how much Canadians wanted to believe otherwise.

I'm Canadian and don't think Simon was relevant.

Some of you guys should stop generalizing and just celebrate the race and the accomplishment of Brownlee.
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As exciting as the Women's race was, the men's race was just as much due to the domination. AB really laid it down. He was actually on the front, for portions of the bike, and then still had all of that for the run. The kid is a stud.

Great job by Gomez to just run his race and let it come to him.

Also impressive to see JB serve the penalty, get out of the box, still in 3rd, then extend the gap again.

Wish Kemper could have done more, but he gave it what he had. A bit of a poor T2 but top 15 in his 4th Olympics...nice job Hunter.

-------------------------------------------------------
Check out {re}vici Upscale Casual Triathlon Apparel
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [Jackb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you here. That being said, there was no way that Simon was going to run the times that the top three guys ran. He would have been sprinting for 8th.
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [KleineGeneraal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim was absolutely accurate.. or long. To me, that looked like the fastest ITU swim ever... Javier Gomez, a 15:35 SCM miler, was getting gapped by Varga in a wetsuit, and everyone else behind him was starting to as well. Sick fast.

The run... well, I assume it was the same as always for the London race. I can't remember right now, is that one a tenth short?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SILVER, Australian for winning.....

Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [RhymeAndReason] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownlee's race was a thing of beauty in a clinical, thoroughly dominating, precision sense. And anyone who thinks the result would have been much different under a non-drafting format was not paying attention. But now that we've gotten that out of our systems, can the rest of the world please step up to big boy britches? Gomez was the only one with a hope and he clearly needed an intervention to even sniff a chance at the top of the podium.
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a stickler for accuracy I guess I should have said "Canadians in general, but not necessarily all Canadians". So feel free to reread my post with this modifier in place.

As for your second point, I don't see why we should not talk about other aspects of the race just because the winners ran a great one.
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [The Guardian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also Canadian, also didn't think Whitfield was going to medal. He was yet another victim of the Canadian media choosing someone based on either very old or not-very-relevant results and crowning them a medal hope. See also: Brent Hayden*, Clara Hughes, Rick Say, and probably tons of other athletes in sports I don't follow. It's kind of sad reading the comments section on the globe and mail to see the number of people that actually thought he was a gold medal hope.

*Yes, he finally got a medal these games. But they were super-hyping him in 04 and 08 as well despite an extreme outside shot at the podium.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could not agree more. We over-hype these athletes and as I said earlier there was not way that Simon was going to be running with the top three. I just wanted him to do well in the race and go out with having done the first 4 Olympic Triathlons. Crashing out sucks when it is your last kick at the can but if you cannot handle a speed bump how are you going to handle a 29 min 10 KM
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [KleineGeneraal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KleineGeneraal wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find the official splits? I can't find them.

Do you think the swim and run were accurately measured ?

Go to the NBC site here and it lists official times. If you click on the "+" sign, it breaks down the splits for you. Here's AB's splits:

Swim: 17:04
T1: 0:39
Bike: 59:08
T2: 0:27
Run: 29:07
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In order to restore some sort of national pride we are about to launch a final attack at the medal count to leapfrog over those damned sheep-shagging Kiwis........If we don't I'm moving back to Hong Kong to reclaim the citizenship of my birth country.

----
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [hectorguatemala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I gotta give props to AB. When he announced his Achillesminjury, I was certain that there was no chance he could find his form in time. Ooops...

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [CarolinaLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CarolinaLaw wrote:
KleineGeneraal wrote:
Does anyone know where I can find the official splits? I can't find them.

Do you think the swim and run were accurately measured ?

Go to the NBC site here and it lists official times. If you click on the "+" sign, it breaks down the splits for you. Here's AB's splits:

Swim: 17:04
T1: 0:39
Bike: 59:08
T2: 0:27
Run: 29:07

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [CarolinaLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is just sick fast. Just wait till he is the first three time gold medalist in the triathlon then moves up to longer distances.
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AHare wrote:
Also Canadian, also didn't think Whitfield was going to medal. He was yet another victim of the Canadian media choosing someone based on either very old or not-very-relevant results and crowning them a medal hope. See also: Brent Hayden*, Clara Hughes, Rick Say, and probably tons of other athletes in sports I don't follow. It's kind of sad reading the comments section on the globe and mail to see the number of people that actually thought he was a gold medal hope.

*Yes, he finally got a medal these games. But they were super-hyping him in 04 and 08 as well despite an extreme outside shot at the podium.

The big hope is Tara Whitten. She's awesome.

KS, Kitajima was awesome in the relay, and awesome job by Japan in the pool all of last week. You're right, he inspired an entire generation of Japanese swimmers!

OK...back to this thread...how about a bit more love for the way Gomez raced today. He was doing to either medal or end up in 30th place going with every one of Alistair Brownlee's moves. Perhaps the Brownlees were the best thing that happened to Gomez as he did not have those guys to shatter the rest of the guys in Beijing. Long wait for Gomez and huge redemption. The guy was on fire leading up to Beijing winning all those World Cups. Nice to see him in the hardware after a long wait. Last time Simon literally pulled an improbably medal away from Gomez with a sprint the blew the group apart with 400m to go, leaving Gomez hanging off the back. Redemption time this year for Gomez. Nice race by him, that he totally played out to his strengths and very gutsy going head to head with AB out of T2.
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I, too am a Canadian and had no doubt that Simon was not going to be a factor today. I was incredibly impressed with the top 3 - all deserving and really put it out there. What's most impressive with Alistair is the look on his face during the run - this dude was going so deep. One closeup showed him with snot hanging out of his nose and saliva around his mouth - he's got talent and a drive like no other. One funny note - the coverage showed a closeup of Alistair in T2 putting on his shoes and I noticed his legs aren't shaved! WTF!! Ha,ha

Rob

http://www.robskonadreamin.com/
https://twitter.com/KonaDreamin66
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [Kona Dreamin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kona Dreamin wrote:
I, too am a Canadian and had no doubt that Simon was not going to be a factor today. I was incredibly impressed with the top 3 - all deserving and really put it out there. What's most impressive with Alistair is the look on his face during the run - this dude was going so deep. One closeup showed him with snot hanging out of his nose and saliva around his mouth - he's got talent and a drive like no other. One funny note - the coverage showed a closeup of Alistair in T2 putting on his shoes and I noticed his legs aren't shaved! WTF!! Ha,ha

----

That is because he is afraid to shave.What would only be a slight razor cut to us would sever his skinny pin leg..

---
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a few more hours ... Sally Pearson ... we'll get those bro's.

NBL grand final karma.
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [hectorguatemala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is the bike not 40K or 24.8 miles? I think it was listed at 26.6 miles? So the first pack averaged 27mph for the bike?
Last edited by: johnnybefit: Aug 7, 12 7:34
Quote Reply
Re: Men's 2012 London Olympics Triathlon live (**spoiler) [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
Just a few more hours ... Sally Pearson ... we'll get those bro's.

NBL grand final karma.

---

HG was funny tonight when he said that the Kiwis scored medals in that new Olympic sport of "Speaking with stupid accents"..

---
Quote Reply

Prev Next