Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Married ladies: change last name or not? [triengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triengineer wrote:
If you have kids, you can always go the Spanish route. Kids get last name of both parents without hyphen, e.g. Kidsgivenname Dadlastname Momlastname, with a further example from pro cycling being Alberto Contador Velasco. One other difference in the Spanish system is also that in marriage the woman doesn't change her name, and the kids get the combo last name from both parents. I always kind of liked that system, it seems a bit more logical.
Friends from Puerto Rico (use same naming system) have told me that applications (credit, school, etc.) are not set up to handle two last names without a hyphen, which can cause some bureaucratic stupidity (system takes last name in list, which may suddenly "create" Kidsgivenname Momlastname, while other forms or is typically known by Kidsgivenname Dadlastname).

this is the same in Mexico. If you don't have a paternal and maternal name, the form filler outer will just ask if he can add one in for you. I've had this happen all over. It is really hard to deal with forms if you don't have 2 last names. :)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Married ladies: change last name or not? [QRgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd keep it. That's just me. K has her dad's last name. He wanted me to use his as well and I didn't mostly because I had my own business at the time and had a lot of business contacts that were key to the industry I was in (he didn't like that too much).

In Canada, hyphenating is a legal name change, so major hassle if you want to go back, but assuming your husband's last name is just that - an assumed name, so you are allowed to use both (keep your bank accts etc in your maiden name if you want, and have other settings for married name i.e.: social, work). Not sure if that's the same in the USA tho. If it is, you can use it whenever you wish. ID is a pain tho. ;-)

I'd say don't.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Married ladies: change last name or not? [slink] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slink wrote:
Is that a joke?

Nope. Not a joke. I have a great marriage complete with kids, my fulltime job, her at home with the kids, my IM training, her half marathon and sprint tri training. I am not an old school "barefoot and pregnant" type of man, but the tradition of the woman taking on the man's last name is/was a big deal to me.
We do a pretty good job of sharing the family duties. She probably wished I cleaned around the house more, but I do things that my father's generation never did (plenty of diapers, kids lunches for school, help with bathtime, make dinner most nights, etc).
When we first got married, she was still working and kept her maiden name on business cards. Once she quit work and we had the first of 3 kids, she is now Mrs. Timboricki.
We have friends in which the wife did not take on the husband's name. Wifey and I both think the husband's are p*ssies.
I guess the important thing is to make sure that the Mr and the Mrs have the same views on this. If the wife wants to keep her name and the huband is cool with this, then go for it. If the husband has initial trepidation, it might wind up being a big deal later. Much like most other things in a marriage, you need to talk about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Married ladies: change last name or not? [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow Tim, I think many might think you and your wife are living in the stone ages with thinking your friends are pussies for not demanding their wives take their names. I had my maiden name for 31 one years and I will have it until I die. I have worked too hard in my job, made too many contacts and have too many publishing and whatnot in my maiden name for me to change. Why should I? I am not my husband's property which is pretty much where the name change originates.

I live in a country that doesn't allow the locals to hyphen their names but does for foreigners. I can't even be bothered with that - too much time and money to get passports, visas, credit cards... all changed. Kids? They will get their first name, a middle name, my family name and then my husband's. Four might be a tad long but sorry, my name stays. Unless my husband decides to give up his but I can't see that happening.
Quote Reply
Re: Married ladies: change last name or not? [genkigirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yer being hard on Timboricki... he sums it up well here:
"I guess the important thing is to make sure that the Mr and the Mrs have the same views on this. If the wife wants to keep her name and the husband is cool with this, then go for it. If the husband has initial trepidation, it might wind up being a big deal later. Much like most other things in a marriage, you need to talk about it."

That really is what it is about.

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Married ladies: change last name or not? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndyPants wrote:
"I guess the important thing is to make sure that the Mr and the Mrs have the same views on this. If the wife wants to keep her name and the husband is cool with this, then go for it. If the husband has initial trepidation, it might wind up being a big deal later. Much like most other things in a marriage, you need to talk about it."

That really is what it is about.

AP

Thanks AP. It is all about preferences. Heck, some women won't date a guy that is "short", some won't date a guy who is "xyz religion". I guess if my wife really put up a fight about her last name, we would have talked it out and compromised somewhere. I was raised Jewish. She is Catholic. I could care less either way, so we are raising the 3 Timboricki girls Catholic. I get the last name and she gets Jesus. We are even.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kept my last name. My step dad adopted me and raised me when my mom and bio dad got divorced and walked away from us. Step dad raised me as his own and gave me his name.. That was a huge deal to me and my mom, so I saw no reason to change it when I got married. I go by the hyphenated version in some situations, but still prefer my last maiden name. My husband was a little thrown when I told him I was not going to change it, but when I explained why he understood. We don't wear rings either and dont want kids :) guess we are a bit odd :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"It is all about preferences."

Indeed it is which is why I don't get why your friends with wives who kept their are pussies.

Like other, parents are divorced and remarried. My mom took my step-father's name. I didn't. Never a problem - which why I might see the point of changing mine. For those who did, why did you do it?

Quote Reply
Re: Married ladies: change last name or not? [meuf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
meuf wrote:
I got married to have kids

Huh? Recent advances in medical research have revealed that this is not a biological necessity.

My partner has her own name, and we are not married. Our kids have my surname, but her surname is their middle name.

My sister married and kept her name. Their first child took her surname, their second her husband's.

I've always found the desire to change one's name in adulthood a bit odd. It's certainly not something I would ever want to do, nor ask or expect someone else to do. It's completely a matter of personal preference, though. People are entirely welcome to call themselves what they like, and I'm happy to accommodate them.

PS. This is my first visit to the "wimmins" room. It's very......polite here, isn't it? Compared to the boy's/Lavender room, I mean.
PPS. Swift and Rocker are, indeed, two of the coolest names imaginable. If I'm ever taken by the impulse to change my name, I think I'll go with one of those.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried to tell him he could change HIS name (so did half his family and friends :p), but he said nope. It's okay...I'm the way cooler one anyway. Can't hand a name like mine to just anyone :p

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

[/quote]

Thanks AP. It is all about preferences. Heck, some women won't date a guy that is "short", some won't date a guy who is "xyz religion". I guess if my wife really put up a fight about her last name, we would have talked it out and compromised somewhere. I was raised Jewish. She is Catholic. I could care less either way, so we are raising the 3 Timboricki girls Catholic. I get the last name and she gets Jesus. We are even.[/quote]
It goes the other way too. If I was marrying I guy who refused to let me keep my name, THAT would be a dealbreaker. And while I think I'm right, and you're wrong, the world needs a little more tolerance of people accepting ideas they disagree with. So cheers to you guys, as long as your wife really doesn't care she changed her name.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was raised Jewish. She is Catholic. I could care less either way, so we are raising the 3 Timboricki girls Catholic.

You're a pussy for giving in on this. :)

Quote Reply
Re: Married ladies: change last name or not? [squid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
squid wrote:
I was raised Jewish. She is Catholic. I could care less either way, so we are raising the 3 Timboricki girls Catholic.

You're a pussy for giving in on this. :)

Yeah, I hear ya. If that was the only reason why, I would be John fricken Wayne.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kept mine though I did consider changing it for a while. Apparently I got so annoying about it that B eventually told me he wasn't going to give me his last name just to shut me up! :)

Honestly, I'm glad I kept my name. It's 'me' and I'm comfortable with it. That being said, I use his last name socially a bunch especially if we're doing something with his work.

The only two times it's been a pain are when I can't remember whose name I make dinner reservations under and when twice now the IRS doesn't think I've filed my taxes because apparently despite the fact that my SS# is on the tax form, the last name thing has them confused.

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: Married ladies: change last name or not? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmrocker13 wrote:
I tried to tell him he could change HIS name (so did half his family and friends :p), but he said nope. It's okay...I'm the way cooler one anyway. Can't hand a name like mine to just anyone :p

If/when I get married I'm going suggest that we both change our names to "Rocker". :D

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Married ladies: change last name or not? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will welcome you into the Cult of Awesome :)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timboricki wrote:
I get the last name and she gets Jesus. We are even.

OMG, I almost spit my wine onto my computer!

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Married ladies: change last name or not? [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mmrocker13 wrote:
I did not have mine changed legally, although when I filled out the wedding license application, I listed my name as Megan Marie DH'sLastName MyLastName (no hyphen). That way, the lingerie are not linked, and I could go by one or the other, or both--in either order.

But like I said, I didn't change mine legally. I do, on occasion, use Gerst Rocker as my last name(s), but by and large I am Megan Rocker everywhere. I never, ever go by Megan Gerst.

I never intended to change my name when I got married. DH made a few half-hearted attempts to convince me to, but when I burst in to tears and hysterics getting the wedding license b/c I didn't want to change it, that was pretty much the end of the discussion :p

My thoughts were this:
1. I like my name. I find it rather awesome.
2. All of my work and whatnot is under my original last name. What's more, most everyone addresses me by that name (including my husband). Very few people call me Megan.
3. I like my name. It is the name I came with.
4. I think the tradition of the wife always taking the husband's last name is silly. I mean, I guess I can see why two people who are married might want the SAME last name, for convenience sake (or for a bonding thing or whatever)...I just don't think it should always be a one-way street. I don't care if OTHER people change their name--but for me, I think it's silly.

If you like your name, keep it. It's as simple as that. The tradition is so overrated and means so little these days. More power to you!
Quote Reply
Re: Married ladies: change last name or not? [twitcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's only a big deal if you make it a big deal. I work in academia and some people insist on the PhD after their name or use Dr. but most just go by their first name. Not sure if that example speaks to you, but my point is that it's only an issue if you make it one.

I took my husband's last name because it would mean more to him and to his family than it would for me to keep my old name. I miss my old name though, Erika Olson sounded like a good name for a nordic skiing champion.
Quote Reply
Re: Married ladies: change last name or not? [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

While that is totally valid, this is where he loses me:

We have friends in which the wife did not take on the husband's name. Wifey and I both think the husband's are p*ssies.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Married ladies: change last name or not? [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I just ignored that part ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sister and I weren't given middle names when we were born, so we always looked forward to when we got married, our last name would become our middle name and we'd finally have middle initials!! Sister kept her maiden name for work purposes, that lasted about a year, then she changed it there too. Was a very easy choice for both of us to take our husbands last names. Never even considered not doing it. Maybe old fashioned thinking, but that's just me I guess!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Married ladies: change last name or not? [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Katy wrote:

While that is totally valid, this is where he loses me:

Katy - Sorry, kinda rude. I have been thinking about my statement a little bit and I have come to this conclusion - The particular husbands that I am referring to would be considered "that word" whether or not the wife took their last names. The important thing is that my wife and I both agree on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you afraid to say that word because your wife "has jesus"?

Thanks for admitting that was a lousy thing to say. As it was.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you fall on the political spectrum? ;-)

Liberals tend towards hyphenated names and conservatives tend towards adopting the husband's name. (Really.)

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Aug 14, 11 22:40
Quote Reply

Prev Next