Prev Next
Re: Make Me Enjoy Swimming? [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
jhammond wrote:
Spartan420 wrote:
dfroelich wrote:
Ummmm,

But, you've been doing this for 18 months and still dread a swim the night before? Is the identity of a triathlete so important that you will suffer through something you despise?

Yes and yes.

Its not the identity. Its the ability to do them. I practice swimming so I dont drown... period. As a reward for living I get to bike and run.

Just a thought, but have you considered biathlon? It's bike/run without the pesky swimming in the middle. I actually like swimming, so I've never done one and have no real experience with them.

He didn't mention if he could ski or shoot, so biathlon seems like an odd suggestion. You probably mean duathlon.
In triathlon 'pesky' swimming isn't usually in the middle, it's at the start.

I definitely meant duathlon and the swim comes first...oops. I was just a mess in that comment, wasn't I?
Quote Reply
Re: Make Me Enjoy Swimming? [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you've already received this input.

I swam club growing up and have spent enough time in a pool that most days I don't care to go.

The only way it works for me at my age (48) is that I have a good group to swim with. We have a workout to follow that we all do. They are all nice people. It's actually fun. If I didn't have them I don't know I could do it.

For me the sets are too easy and the pace times to slow. Sometimes I will follow my own pace times, but most of the time I don't. I get way too much rest and it's not the optimal training for me, but it's the only way I can get myself there so it's a tradeoff.

I encourage people to join us all the time. Most won't because they fear they are too slow. I'd love to have swimmers of all levels with us. Adjustments can always be made. Instead of doing 10x100 do 8x100 and figure out how to jump in/out. At our age we can all make it work and I'd be happy to see someone else improve as much as I want to improve myself.

The most critical thing IMO is to find a group to train with. People who show up consistently day in and day out. That could be a masters team, or it could be a crew like the one I'm lucky enough to have.

If you have a good group than everything else will fall into place. Same applies to running for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spartan420 wrote:
Ive been swimming for about 1.5 years. I did an IM and a couple HIM's last year.

In training, I have no problem getting up at 3am and riding on the trainer for 2+ hours w/ a Trainerroad screen and nothing else, not even music. I have no problem getting up and running multiple hours. But when it comes to swimming I dread it the entire night before.

I typically swim a 3500 or 4000 yard set. I just do them without stopping. I have tried various intervals to break it up, but I hate starting. In my mind, Id rather start just one time instead of multiple times.

Once in the water I am fine, Im just bored. Sometimes, I count minutes and sometimes instead of doing intervals, I just pretend to do them in my head. So I might do a 3500 yard set, but in my mind I am doing 2x500, 2x400 2x300 2x200 2x100.

How can I stop dreading having to go to the pool?

I started as a swimmer and yes it gets dull but your workouts sound absolutely dreadful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta say thanks for this thread.

I was in the exact same mindset, dreading the water every time I was due to swim.

After reading some suggestions on mixing in toys, considering why I do triathlon and not just run/bike, and to add more structure and less just aiming for mileage my mind has clicked over.

Really enjoyed my swimming this week and look forward to chipping down my IM swim from 1:15 to much closer to the hour flat.

Thanks all
Quote Reply

Prev Next