Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Madone Disc Spotted [JT_Dennen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't like that so much of that bike is difficult to work on. I got an S5 instead, which is very easy to maintain.
Quote Reply
Re: Madone Disc Spotted [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here they are for $15 less with free shipping, maybe that helps you a bit.

http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Dura-Ace-SM-RT900-Rotor/

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Madone Disc Spotted [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:

Somehow, the point has been completely lost on you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No it hasn't, I was trying to be helpful instead of making a point.

I would never buy those rotors for a training wheel as they are way too expensive. I was about to say that you can buy any rotor for a training wheel, but I figured that might start an argument so I just tried to support you in what you felt was right rather than argue.

For brake rotors for my training wheels, they were $14 on Amazon. They would work just as well as the rotors you are using, but you may not agree about using different rotors.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
Sanrafaeltri wrote:

Somehow, the point has been completely lost on you.

your original point was weird.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
If you're riding wheels with rims costing more than $90 in conditions that cause you to wear them out...you might want to reconsider your equipment choices ;-)

Life's too short to ride crappy wheels. ;-)

Wheels laced with ~$90 rims aren't necessarily "crappy"...also, you know that rims are fairly easily replaceable, right?

Here's the thing...if you live in a place and ride in conditions that easily wear out rims, knock yourself out with your disc brakes on your road bike. But, be aware that you're in an extreme minority. Also, be aware that's no argument for the appropriateness of them on a high-end road racing bike either.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Madone Disc Spotted [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:

your original point was weird.

You think that not wanting to throw away an expensive wheelset just because the braking surface is worn out is weird?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No: justifying disc brakes by saying that you've worn through quite a few rims' braking surface. That is exceedingly rare and takes a lot of time riding in either bad conditions or just an exceptional amount of miles. I get wanting disc brakes, that's fine. But if you truly have worn through plenty of rims' braking surface then you represent a very small portion of the bike purchasing population.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
No: justifying disc brakes by saying that you've worn through quite a few rims' braking surface. That is exceedingly rare and takes a lot of time riding in either bad conditions or just an exceptional amount of miles. I get wanting disc brakes, that's fine. But if you truly have worn through plenty of rims' braking surface then you represent a very small portion of the bike purchasing population.

Nowhere did I say that this was *the* reason to justify selecting disc brakes... simply that this was a factor that hasn't (to my knowledge) been discussed a whole lot. I haven't thrown away a lot of wheel sets, but I have had to retire a couple of wheel sets for this reason. This wouldn't play into my decision-making for a tri bike at all, but for my every day training road bike... sure, it's one of many factors to consider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

Nowhere did I say that this was *the* reason to justify selecting disc brakes... simply that this was a factor that hasn't (to my knowledge) been discussed a whole lot. I haven't thrown away a lot of wheel sets, but I have had to retire a couple of wheel sets for this reason. This wouldn't play into my decision-making for a tri bike at all, but for my every day training road bike... sure, it's one of many factors to consider.

Ok... I'll answer your original question then. In the context of an aero road racing bike (which this thread is supposed to be about)...or a TT/Tri bike, for that matter...it hasn't been discussed much because it's literally a non-factor.

That's why bringing it up in this context is a bit odd.

Quote Reply
Re: Madone Disc Spotted [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:

Ok... I'll answer your original question then. In the context of an aero road racing bike (which this thread is supposed to be about)...or a TT/Tri bike, for that matter...it hasn't been discussed much because it's literally a non-factor.

That's funny coming from the guy who feels the need to chime in with his views of disc brakes in every thread, no matter how tangential it is to the discussion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
jkhayc wrote:

There is no "perfect" blanket statement of why or why not disc - everyone's reason is going to be different and valid (at least for them). One of my reasons is for better braking with NO weight penalty.......but disc are heavier, right. Sure for the masses, but not for "me". I refuse to use full carbon wheels due to the poor braking, so I am still using heavier alloy/carbon wheels. Switching to disc, although heavier will allow me to use full carbon (and lighter) wheels...so for my situation....switching to disc offers NO weight penalty because I can now use lighter wheels. To each its own!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkhayc wrote:
No: justifying disc brakes by saying that you've worn through quite a few rims' braking surface. That is exceedingly rare and takes a lot of time riding in either bad conditions or just an exceptional amount of miles.

Not *that* rare. I typically wear out brake tracks in 40-50K miles, so I've tossed out something like 3-4 sets of wheels over the past ~15 years (when I started riding a lot). But I don't mind because usually by the time the track has worn out there's some cool new wheelset I want that's out and I'm like "Oh darn, I have to buy new wheels. Oh no, not that."

My next bike of the CX/gravel variety will have disc brakes just so I can participate in these fun arguments having had some first-hand experience with "road" disc.
Last edited by: trail: Dec 21, 17 14:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkatsoudas wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

That's funny coming from the guy who feels the need to chime in with his views of disc brakes in every thread, no matter how tangential it is to the discussion.

Do I? Or, is it like what happened in this thread, where I merely responded to someone's misinterpretation of cause and effect on material selection and an analogy I have made in the past? I had no intention of posting in this thread until then...

Quote Reply
Re: Madone Disc Spotted [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check Trek Instagram! Just got a even cleaner look at the new Trek Madone 9 Disk!
Quote Reply
Re: Madone Disc Spotted [higuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Post the link!

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Madone Disc Spotted [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Madone Disc Spotted [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
discs, eh?

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:

I’m having hard time determining what company made that bike....
Quote Reply
Re: Madone Disc Spotted [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRE

There are new, but make 3 types of bikes. Tri bikes, road bikes and dirt bikes
Quote Reply
Re: Madone Disc Spotted [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We all knew it was coming

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice. I got a 9.9 RSL this season and I have to say, this might be the best bike I've ever ridden. Its comfortable, handles great, seems fast and looks awesome. I like it more than the S3 or Foil that I've previously been riding but my biggest complaint is the stopping power on the integrated brakes could be better; a disc version obviously resolves that. Mine is built up with etap and building it was a piece of cake, seriously, running the brake cables could only be easier on an externally routed bike. There are lots of pieces and bolts but for day to day use its not any harder to wrench than anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fingers crossed they stop charging such a premium for the H1 geometry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
....and they already cut him up. 😂😂
Quote Reply
Re: Madone Disc Spotted [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
We all knew it was coming

I’m surprised they didn’t include front IsoSpeed with the disc version. Bummer :/
Quote Reply

Prev Next