Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Lynskey - Talk me In/Out
Quote | Reply
Short background: have a couple gravel-type events we want to do this year, so I've been looking for a gravel bike. On another thread, someone here posted about Lynskey, and of course I searched them out, but now I'm in love... or possibly just lust, but still...

Seems to me that Ti makes the most sense for myself, as I really like a light, maneuverable, carbon frame (picked up a used Madone last year, moving from an old Aluminum Trek 2100). However, I've never done a lot of stuff off-road, and worried about crashing a carbon frame into a rock or tree and that's that. Especially if I picked it up on the second-hand market.

I have the money, Honey actually likes it when I spend money on myself, and damn are the Lynskeys a sexy ride! So, what's the collective thoughts: makes no sense to go Ti nor brand new; or, is it something that I'm gonna absolutely love and never look back??

Thanks!
- Jeff

*For reference, I'm in NH, will be doing a few things here and some in VT. Probably split time between it and the Madone throughout the week. Mostly dirt/gravel back roads, skid trails, and atv trails, so some mud but not a lot. I think...
Quote Reply
Re: Lynskey - Talk me In/Out [jkstevens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which model are you interested in?
Quote Reply
Re: Lynskey - Talk me In/Out [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GR Race: https://lynskeyperformance.com/...gr-race-gravel-bike/

I like it's geometry a little better than the GR300 or Pro GR, but that's just me comparing numbers to current bikes and not anything specific, like actually having gotten a fit over the years...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep in mind that the GR Race is for single chainrings only.

If you wait four to six months, the price of a frameset should go down by about $800.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to go 1x. First event will be within that 4 months time frame, although I do have a fatty that I could do that one on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is a great company with very nice products.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Titanium is a great material to be used in bikes. That bike in the link is really sexy, and Lynskey makes great bikes. You'd probably be worried about crashing it into a tree as well. Some have closeout sales on whole bikes or even just frames if you are in the mood to build your own, and can be seen on their webpages so check for those to save some money.

I might be forgetting a few but here are some well known brands...

Moots
Seven
Litespeed
Merlin
Burls
Firefly
Kinesis
Van Nicholas
Zero

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use code "WELOVE35" for 35% off frames and builds if it still works. If not use "TAKE25OFF" for 25% off. David Lynskey makes fantastic bikes. You will not be disappointed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I want to go 1x.

I thought so too with my first gravel bike (Salsa Warbird) and eventually decided 1x wasn't for me and sold it and got a new 2x Warbird. I guess what I'm saying is be very sure about it before you limit your options.
Quote Reply
Re: Lynskey - Talk me In/Out [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What made you decide to go back to 2x? I've no real reason to go 1x other than simplifying the build and lightening the bike. I'm a sponge - please explain!
Quote Reply
Re: Lynskey - Talk me In/Out [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whoa, really? The 25% was really how I was affording most of it, but if the 35% works, maybe I can upgrade even more.

Thanks a ton!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And it works!! Have not pulled the trigger yet but worked in the cart! Dang... I'm probably gonna spend money soon...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
35% is pretty deep, go for it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
And it works!! Have not pulled the trigger yet but worked in the cart! Dang... I'm probably gonna spend money soon...

It might not process the order and take your money.

I would highly recommend the industrial mill finish. Real easy to take care of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
What made you decide to go back to 2x? I've no real reason to go 1x other than simplifying the build and lightening the bike. I'm a sponge - please explain!

For me I felt like I was missing some gears and the jumps between gears were too dramatic. I was not able to maintain my preferred cadence/power range when climbing and it got really bothersome.

I’ve really enjoyed having the 2x again (it been about a month). I ended up with another Warbird with the GRX600 build.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're welcome. If you sign up for their newsletter on their website they will email you killer deals every once in awhile. Enjoy your new Lynskey!
Last edited by: Herbie Hancock: Mar 6, 20 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: Lynskey - Talk me In/Out [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:
Use code "WELOVE35" for 35% off frames and builds if it still works. If not use "TAKE25OFF" for 25% off. David Lynskey makes fantastic bikes. You will not be disappointed.
Wow!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you end up pulling the trigger on the Lynskey? I've been poking around for a gravel bike and the titanium looks sweet, but I've read mixed reviews about the brand. Seems to me it may be more a case of only hearing from the people with bad experiences than from those with good. Not sure I'd notice the difference between a Lynskey titanium than a Moots (for example) and for the money the Lynskey would be just fine. Any thoughts/experience in your reviews of the brand?
Quote Reply
Re: Lynskey - Talk me In/Out [BKyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was a "dealer" for Lynskey and built up quite a few of them. Everyone loved them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a Lynskey Sportive Disc for years and love(d) it as a commuter up in Seattle and a great all-day ride. It looks brand new and rides so smooth. I just don't have a need for it now that I'm retired and living in Arizona.

After looking at seemingly all the new gravel bikes - and almost building up an Open Wi.DE., I came back to Lynskey and just bought the Pro GR with etap and 1x setup. My only gripe is it comes standard with an 11-33 rear cluster so I'll have to switch that out for more of a mullet setup. The 25% off deal was too good to be true and I, like you, have some events coming up so pulled the trigger.

I'm excited to receive the bike in a couple of weeks!

PS - Lynskey Sportive is for sale.
PPS - Look at the Why R+ - another sexy Ti builder (I've got their S7 MTB and it's butter)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Any thoughts on frame vs complete bike assuming the discount?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always preferred to buy a frameset and then put a custom build kit on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some people don't build it themselves for various reasons. They don't have the time, ability, or they simply want to make sure an experienced "pro" does it right. I had the time, a few parts lying around, and came across a great deal on the frame and groupset so I saved quite a bit of money by building mine myself. I had to spend money on tools I didn't have, so the savings wasn't as much in the end, but if something needs replacing such as the BB or fork, then I am already set up for it. Now I have a much better understanding of the components than if I bought it whole, and can fix it without relying on a bike shop. Would I do it again? Yep, in a heartbeat. Would I buy a whole bike instead? If it was a good deal, yep.

The more people I encounter the more I love my cats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BKyle wrote:
Did you end up pulling the trigger on the Lynskey?

Not yet. I have it all loaded up and saved in my cart, but with the crap going down this week, thought it irresponsible to buy a $4k bike right now. I mean, I have the money to carry us through any down times, but just seems like I should wait.

I hate waiting...
BKyle wrote:

I've been poking around for a gravel bike and the titanium looks sweet, but I've read mixed reviews about the brand. Seems to me it may be more a case of only hearing from the people with bad experiences than from those with good.

I have not read anything bad about these guys. Please feel free to share...
Last edited by: jkstevens: Mar 13, 20 20:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkstevens wrote:
BKyle wrote:
Did you end up pulling the trigger on the Lynskey?

Not yet. I have it all loaded up and saved in my cart, but with the crap going down this week, thought it irresponsible to buy a $4k bike right now. I mean, I have the money to carry us through any down times, but just seems like I should wait.

About in the same boat here. Ready to pull the trigger but doesn't feel right.

I hate waiting...
BKyle wrote:

I've been poking around for a gravel bike and the titanium looks sweet, but I've read mixed reviews about the brand. Seems to me it may be more a case of only hearing from the people with bad experiences than from those with good.

I have not read anything bad about these guys. Please feel free to share...

I didn't mean to have come across as negative sounding as I did. I read a few forum posts, roadbikereview and bikeforums that had warranty issues and basically internet questioning of the quality of the frame building. Since I can't go physically look at the bike in the shop, these few reviews probably weigh more heavily than they should.
Quote Reply

Prev Next