Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read that yes. but I am not in charge of cancelling the event I think it should happen as is. There maybe more like the numbers are low due to international travel so they are ok moving it.
I can still as of now do the exact same trip there without the race. so they don't mind travelers just events.

IF you read up on the situation on the big island they are all locals not travelers taking up the ICU. just like every where.

The province I live in has these numbers 4.4 millions people.
Here is the regional breakdown of new cases:
  • 734 new cases in Interior Health, which has 2,982 total active cases.
  • 316 new cases in Fraser Health, which has 882 total active cases.
  • 198 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health, which has 715 total active cases.
  • 112 new cases in Island Health, which has 307 total active cases.
  • 74 new cases in Northern Health, which has 197 total active cases.
  • There are no new cases among people who reside outside of Canada, a group which has seven total active cases.

If you read the last line it seems all the travel measures work petty well here just like Hawaii. We allow Americans in and understand the UNVAXED are the issue with ICU visits not humans crossing lines in the sand or if the population is a local or a tourist.

also note

The majority of people currently in hospital with the novel coronavirus in B.C. are unvaccinated or partially vaccinated.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Official statement

The Ironman World Championship has once again been rescheduled due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Ironman, in conjunction with Hawaii officials, announced Thursday morning that the Supersapiens Ironman World Championship in Kailua-Kona will now be held Feb. 5, 2022. It had been scheduled for Oct. 9.

Like 1982, Ironman expects that there will be two editions of the Ironman World Championship in 2022 (February and October).

“The resurgence of the virus and new Delta strain has had significant impact on the island community of Hawaii. Combined with substantial border closures and travel restrictions for qualified athletes, there is not a viable pathway in October to host the Ironman World Championship,” said Andrew Messick, President and Chief Executive Officer for The Ironman Group. “After extensive consultation with governmental and community leaders in Hawai`i, we believe that the best course of action is to delay the event until February of 2022.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Halvard wrote:
calfzilla wrote:
timbasile wrote:
If the only real way to get out of the pandemic is to vaccinate

Go ask Israel how that's working out.

There's no getting off Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Vaccination works fine.
Here in Norway 70% of all the population has gotten at least one shot.
78% of the population is over 18 years old, so we are closing in on 100% coverage of all adults.

In total 811 people have died of covid.
Currently 28 people are in hospitals due to covid.
Of those 28, 4 are on ventilators.

Death per million.
Norway: 148
USA: 1,938
Israel: 724

Canada has much better vax numbers than Norway and the Delta wave is here. Norway is unlikely to be spared.

Canada has 703 deaths per million. Norway has 148.
That is a big difference.

If course you should always vaccinated the part of the population that needs it most. That is how you get the best out of the vaccine and keep the number down.

I think his point was that if you are way behind in vaccine rollout in Norway then there is a high degree of urgency right now with regards to the delta variant.

Lots of countries were doing great a month ago.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just got the email:

Aloha Edward,

It is with a heavy heart that we announce the postponement of the 2021 Supersapiens IRONMAN World Championship until February 5, 2022.

IRONMAN has been a part of the West Hawai`i community for nearly 40 years. This is our community, our home, our `ohana. Here, right now, Covid-19 is worse than at any point in the pandemic. This risk affects athletes, volunteers, partners, staff, the community – everyone. After deep and careful consultation with county and state officials and other important constituents, we agree: the risks right now are too great to bear.

We know this postponement is not the news you wanted to hear and is particularly disappointing for those athletes who have experienced the prior postponements. We, like you, wish things were different.

As you can imagine, rescheduling an event of this magnitude has a lot of moving parts. We are working together with local and state Hawai`i officials so that we may welcome athletes back to the Island of Hawai`i in February with the racing experience for which the IRONMAN World Championship is famous.

We will contact you again with further information on or before Wednesday, August 25, 2021 (Hawai`i Standard Time). Thank you for your patience as we work through the many details.

Our entire `ohana thank you for your patience, your kindness, and your support of one another through these challenging times.

If you have additional questions, please contact kona@ironman.com.

Edit: also want to give a shoutout to Knutson Associates that manages the condo I rented for Kona. They gave me a 100% refund within an hour of my request, despite the cancellation policy not requiring them to. Thanks!!

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Aug 19, 21 14:03
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [lanceman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanceman wrote:
I did pass on a Worlds 70.3 entry as I KQ'd too, and could only afford one.

Now, if they do provide the opportunity, I'm gonna go big.

Oh, that would top all, retroactively provide slots to fill the race course for the one day event. I’m sure it’s happening. Good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:

I can still as of now do the exact same trip there without the race. so they don't mind travelers just events.

IF you read up on the situation on the big island they are all locals not travelers taking up the ICU. just like every where.

My point was that this foreshadows cancellations for future October Konas when seasonal spikes occur unless we learn to live with some level of risk.

According to the HI COVID dashboard, there are 24 ICU beds in Hawaii County, 19 are filled (7 are COVID, 12 non-covid). You could theoretically have 95% of the population vaccinated and one tiny outbreak could fill it up. So when "cases" inevitably rise every summer, vaccinated or not, politicians are going to feel pressure to put restrictions back in no matter how many people are immune.

Strava
Last edited by: sch340: Aug 19, 21 14:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree but that is my may point we have done everything we can by now or had the chance.

We have to live with this now and maybe for the long term future we can't keep moving things when it seems ( in USA) everything is just political not factual. Just follow guidelines yet.....

Few follow diet guidelines and we don't shut down the buffets.

Just protect yourself. or you know, consequences.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kona should be moved to the summer months when cases are lowest
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [sigmachi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and be in Europe where the winners and most of the podium will come from and where there's more interest in the sport too.

There. Problem mainly solved.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canada vax coverage is superior to Norway. Delta is here.
Public health policy only goes so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sigmachi wrote:
Have you raced Kona in October? How much hotter does it get there in summer?
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if they will add slots for races close to the feb or oct dates. Makes me rethink which races to do next year just in case.

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [lyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyla wrote:
lanceman wrote:
I did pass on a Worlds 70.3 entry as I KQ'd too, and could only afford one.

Now, if they do provide the opportunity, I'm gonna go big.

Oh, that would top all, retroactively provide slots to fill the race course for the one day event. I’m sure it’s happening. Good luck.

I had a friend already reach out and IM denied his request to get in to 70.3 worlds.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Next is lamda after that it’s ligma variant

I feel for all those who’ve been training their butt off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
Few follow diet guidelines and we don't shut down the buffets.

this is the bit that gets me. whatever you think of the different approaches taken to fighting covid, most countries have made huge personal, economic and societal sacrifices in the name of health, with relatively limited protest. if we were to make half that committment to general good health (nutrition, exercise, medical funding etc) then we could all be so much more generally healthy which would make a real difference in covid outcomes as well as every other form of poor health and death.
Last edited by: pk1: Aug 19, 21 17:24
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [pk1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk1 wrote:

this is the bit that gets me. whatever you think of the different approaches taken to fighting covid, most countries have made huge personal, economic and societal sacrifices in the name of health, with relatively limited protest. if we were to make half that committment to general good health (nutrition, exercise, medical funding etc) then we could all be so much more generally healthy which would make a real difference in covid outcomes as well as every other form of poor health and death.

Why make all that effort to exercising and eating healthy when you can do your part to contain covid by watching netflix, working in your pajamas and having the proles get your groceries for you?

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One useful reference point in this thread is the limited number of hospital beds on the island.

In an average year, how many athletes end up in the ICU? I have to imagine with the heat and humidity, and a bike crash or two, there could be some strain put on the local hospital. If it’s already near capacity, is that the limiting factor?

Assuming that’s the case, I question whether Kona can host this event until covid recedes as a political and public health hot potato.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Sweden took the herd immunity approach before vaccines were available. That's a guaranteed fail.
Manaus evidence of reinfection is concerning.

US has 70% vaccinated and with Delta a high percentage of the the (surviving) remaining 30% will get some level of immunity from the virus itself. The virus will not go away and it will mutate in ways that could change the game entirely. But, the current delta surge of 150K cases per day will definitely fizzle out before Feb 2022.

Without picking sides (and I am vaccinated) it is amazing to see what happened with delta variant in India where this variant kicked off. The prime minister was acting like a buffoon opening everything in a free for all to support elections and religious events and then as we know delta kicked in and it was carnage on all fronts. But with barely 2 month of restrictions and barely ten percent vaccinated that big spike in cases and deaths got under control. I have to think that a lot of people who survived and never knew they had it have natural immunity now.

Economic activity is back close to pre pandemic. My company's software does the energy allocation for one of the largest cities in India and it is amazingly to see in fairly decent detail how quickly they have bounced back to nearly full throttle.

As India is the source of Delta variant and seeing what shook out there I am optimistic that a combo of vaccinations and natural immunity will allow us to get ahead faster than we think right now.

I have not done an IM in several years but watching how all the slot allocation plays out for Feb 2022. If I can enter a race with a large amount of slots for Feb 2022 I think I will give it a try
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
Halvard wrote:
calfzilla wrote:
timbasile wrote:
If the only real way to get out of the pandemic is to vaccinate

Go ask Israel how that's working out.

There's no getting off Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Vaccination works fine.
Here in Norway 70% of all the population has gotten at least one shot.
78% of the population is over 18 years old, so we are closing in on 100% coverage of all adults.

In total 811 people have died of covid.
Currently 28 people are in hospitals due to covid.
Of those 28, 4 are on ventilators.

Death per million.
Norway: 148
USA: 1,938
Israel: 724

Canada has much better vax numbers than Norway and the Delta wave is here. Norway is unlikely to be spared.

Canada has 703 deaths per million. Norway has 148.
That is a big difference.

If course you should always vaccinated the part of the population that needs it most. That is how you get the best out of the vaccine and keep the number down.

Unfortunately we cannot being back the dead but regions with high deaths per million had the most exposure to this vaccine. They are the places who can get away with the least amount of vaccination. So in theory Norway or to a greater extent NZ, Oz, Taiwan would need a lot more vaccination. Hawaii has low deaths per.million relative to mainland but look at the challenge there with unvaccinated
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [kobayashi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pink
What about the new Trek speed concept?!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sigmachi wrote:

I think the race should be moved in other locations until pandemic is behind
i see high risk of not happening at all again in 2022
while there are many other places in the world where it can be hosted
do you prefer WC in lets say Germany for 1 or 2 editions or no WC at all?
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [kobayashi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My annual guide last appeared in 2019 with a mini update due to our move into our then brand new house near Waimea. I promised it would return in 2020. I had just set aside a few days near the end of the month to finalize and double check on some establishments in Kona for an all new guide this year. Boy that’ll teach me.

I’ll have some thoughts and observations on what’s happening out here from a locals perspective a bit later tomorrow. For now suffice it to say, the decision WTC made was not a wrong one. Things are bordering on ugly COVID wise here.

On the bright side, the cancellation of the October race means a much nicer climate for those who get to come in February. It also means my total knee replacement of the left knee will probably happen sooner. Those are both good things. Trust me. ;)

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Aug 19, 21 23:54
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello all. Is this official? Because the same happened last year and there was no Kona either in Oct nor in Feb. That´s really a pitty that things are getting so harsh ..more than 2 years without the big day is too much, isnt it? Hope at least it can be held in Feb.
Yep, some girls and guys will be not that unhappy, mainly the ones coming from ITU (Iden, KB, Gomez, Ali Brownlee (?), Duffy (?) )....
Regards

Spaniard. Sorry for my english for the sensitive ones :P
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [juanillo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, its official. Got the email this morning
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [SidSnot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems a great day to send out a survey!

Quote Reply

Prev Next