Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/2021/08/10/what-we-now-know-about-how-to-fight-the-delta-variant-of-covid-column/?fbclid=IwAR0LKXgvziiqoCBHDpmUmxe-hdgm_49JI5gK3PExijX4zQGvskt9Wx4hiSE

read this if your vaxed you just don't get sick as the vax stops the virus at the blood stream (we all know that). You can still test positive as the virus will live in your mucus for serval days.

So the case number thing is kind of not important anymore, every person will get covid, but will you be protected.

Comes down to all people causing shutdowns is over ICU and hospital over run. Those people are all unvaxed.

Can we start placing blame on the real problem now that we have the cure.

Hawaii had 700 deaths of flu/pneumonia in 2017. #1 state rating in the US of death per capita
I don't think they tested everyone coming off the plain for the flu back then??
The history in Hawaii has not been about preventive health care. I am not sure why.
But it seems they avoid medical care to the last minute as the numbers show in history and now.
Hard to put trust in them now till January to change.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [calfzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
calfzilla wrote:
timbasile wrote:
If the only real way to get out of the pandemic is to vaccinate

Go ask Israel how that's working out.

There's no getting off Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

yes, 4th wave is hitting Israel hard despite very high vaccination rate. however, almost all of the deaths are of unvaccinated people
its clear that even vaccinated folks are getting infected with the delta variant, but at lower rates and if you are vaccinated your are significantly less likely to be seriously sick
they are now administrating 3rd shot and there's already statistically significant evidence that its having an impact on infection and serious illness rates
so its reasonable conclusion that we are going into reality where we'll need to get a booster shot every 6-12 months to keep the antibody levels up

and while its a massive bummer to reschedule (and hopefully not lose money on) flights, 3 hotel bookings and bike transport, I still think its the right decision to postpone
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
calfzilla wrote:
timbasile wrote:

yes, 4th wave is hitting Israel hard despite very high vaccination rate. however, almost all of the deaths are of unvaccinated people
its clear that even vaccinated folks are getting infected with the delta variant, but at lower rates and if you are vaccinated your are significantly less likely to be seriously sick
they are now administrating 3rd shot and there's already statistically significant evidence that its having an impact on infection and serious illness rates
so its reasonable conclusion that we are going into reality where we'll need to get a booster shot every 6-12 months to keep the antibody levels up

and while its a massive bummer to reschedule (and hopefully not lose money on) flights, 3 hotel bookings and bike transport, I still think its the right decision to postpone

Getting more and more people vaccinated and booster shots could be the key to finally allowing Kona to happen (lurking as I hope to qualify someday). And worried my Sept IM could be canceled if this becomes a trend. My state in the US (northeast) is already talking about booster shots this fall. Right now we are 85% vaccinated but the unvaccinated are getting sick and we are now back to wearing masks. The break through cases are a small percentage right now of those getting sick with the variant.

My gut is that we may all have to live with this for the long term, getting booster shots every so often. LP went off well and hopefully the other IMs scheduled for fall will be successful as well. Just stay outside as much as possible and avoid the indoors with many other people unless necessary when going to a race.

Bummer for everyone about Kona. I would be frustrated too.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [dgutstadt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dgutstadt wrote:
calfzilla wrote:
timbasile wrote:

I don’t think that’s a safe assumption. Listened to an interview with an infectious disease expert and he said the 3-4 week gap between doses was shorter than ideal. Normally it would be longer but trials were done at the short interval because of the urgency of the situation. He suggested the 8 month booster should be much better at providing long term protection and ongoing boosters are not a given.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my desperate VRBO cancellation request all typed out and ready to submit. My official last cancellation date passed like a week ago. We are 100% sure this is happening?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Volunteers got their cancellation email already

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was sent a copy of that notice and thought, if true that the race has indeed been postponed to February, it is really bad form of Ironman not to inform their customers immediately. I understand they probably want to be able to give everyone what the new options are but there are financial ramifications for a lot of the participants on the line.

We have the final payment for our VRBO due on 8/24 and have no interest in losing more money on travel due to COVID then we have already lost the last 18 months. At the same time we do not want to cancel our reservations and then have to scramble and find new ones if the race is actually a go. We have thought about going to Hawaii regardless but with the proposed sanctions on not being able to gather at parks or beaches it would be a long and expensive trip to sit in a condo especially since we already live in a warm climate with access to the ocean.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [2brokenhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of bad form, IMO, if Ironman has told volunteers and other tri related persons that the race is postponed/canceled but the Hawaii County government and racers do not yet know if the race will be postponed/canceled.

https://www.kitv.com/...ace-amid-virus-surge

As for the restrictions, if it was anything like we had last fall, you are still able to do everything in the water that you'd want to (swim, surf, paddle, canoe...), ride bikes, and run. Just no peaches on the beaches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
calfzilla wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Vaccination works fine.
Here in Norway 70% of all the population has gotten at least one shot.
78% of the population is over 18 years old, so we are closing in on 100% coverage of all adults.

In total 811 people have died of covid.
Currently 28 people are in hospitals due to covid.
Of those 28, 4 are on ventilators.

Death per million.
Norway: 148
USA: 1,938
Israel: 724
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i sent out my vrbo cancelletion request yesterday and luckily the owner was willing to give me a 100% refund. my cancellation date was a week ago also for full refund. even though i wasn't 100% sure yesterday and jumped the gun early, i'm glad i did. I'm keep my rental car tho till the last minute, that thing is gold.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [TRO Saracen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did pass on a Worlds 70.3 entry as I KQ'd too, and could only afford one.

Now, if they do provide the opportunity, I'm gonna go big.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
calfzilla wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Exactly. The goalposts will keep moving until we say "enough". If vaccination were a silver bullet, they could just mandate all incoming travelers show proof of vaccination (in lieu of a neg test), which should, according to the evidence, not lead to any additional stress on local hospital systems.

I have a positive outlook for February only because COVID will be at a seasonal lull in Hawaii at that time (as it was this Feb). The governor/mayor/etc will celebrate how their restrictions and cancellations contained the virus and how the community came together to vanquish delta against all odds, bla bla bla in order to put on a successful Kona and it will be a win-win politically and economically for everyone.

Of course, infections will spike again next August (as they did in 2020, too), so just be ready for Oct 2022 to be put on hold again unless there is some political push back

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YOU ARE SO WRONG!!!

the goal posts are not moving. All the ICU on the big island are locals, out of 800 positive tests 6 are not local Hawaiians.

These new measures are only due to UN VAXED people over riding the hospital system.

IF 99.9 % of Covid ICU patiets are UNVAXED we can obviously say the VACCINE WORKS, the issue and fault of closers in due to the U VAXED.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
So does Sanders still do Copenhagen, or take the added time to find another race with more prep?

I thought the same thing. He could now focus on Collins Cup and have a better performance there, but my guess is he wants to have a successful Ironman so Copenhagen goes through. Once he gets back from Europe, his focus will be on 70.3 worlds 100% instead of Kona. This could help him although there are only 3 weeks between Collins Cup and 70.3 worlds. He should be recovered from Copenhagen by then.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
YOU ARE SO WRONG!!!

the goal posts are not moving. All the ICU on the big island are locals, out of 800 positive tests 6 are not local Hawaiians.

These new measures are only due to UN VAXED people over riding the hospital system.

IF 99.9 % of Covid ICU patiets are UNVAXED we can obviously say the VACCINE WORKS, the issue and fault of closers in due to the U VAXED.

Take a deep breath and read what I wrote again, very carefully...

If everyone that comes off a plane is vaxxed (except kids, who are at negligible risk) and the vaccine works really really well (which is does), why would there be a concern about holding an event like this vis-Ă -vis the hospital system?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
YOU ARE SO WRONG!!!

ah, you again.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Halvard wrote:
calfzilla wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Vaccination works fine.
78% of the population is over 18 years old, so we are closing in on 100% coverage of all adults.

Death per million.

Canada has much better vax numbers than Norway and the Delta wave is here. Norway is unlikely to be spared.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [sch340] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sch340 wrote:
If everyone that comes off a plane is vaxxed (except kids, who are at negligible risk) and the vaccine works really really well (which is does), why would there be a concern about holding an event like this vis-Ă -vis the hospital system?

Because the vaccine does not prevent a person from being a carrier (symptomatic or asymptomatic) of the virus. A person who is fully vaccinated can possibly still be carrying the virus and pass it on to others unknowingly. That is my issue with where the safe travels program has gone since July. I know the state is reporting manini cases from travelers, but I'd like to see negative testing requirements reimplemented. I know that most of the hospitalized cases here are from the unvaccinated, but I'd like to see the true contact tracing from where they received the virus. I cannot find the story right now. Earlier this week there was a story on the news one evening about a family that was all set to come to Hawaii for vacation. All but one of the family was fully vaccinated and the unvaccinated member was a child under the age of twelve. He required a negative test to gain entry into Hawaii without a quarantine period. Well, the child had the virus and after the family was tested the majority of them did as well. A vaccine passport would not have caught and prevented this family from coming to the island. Only because of a positive test did they know they has the virus.

A little suspicious that roughly twelve days after the negative test requirement was dropped for a vaccine passport that cases in Hawaii skyrocketed and has stayed that way since. Early on a July 4th spike could be attributed to the high number of cases, but things are getting even worse now.

Restrictions should be put back in place and negative test requirements should be enforced for incoming flights.
Last edited by: GingerAvenger: Aug 19, 21 12:48
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Halvard wrote:
calfzilla wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Vaccination works fine.

Death per million.

Canada has much better vax numbers than Norway and the Delta wave is here. Norway is unlikely to be spared.

Canada has 703 deaths per million. Norway has 148.
That is a big difference.

If course you should always vaccinated the part of the population that needs it most. That is how you get the best out of the vaccine and keep the number down.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Back to the Kona to Feb 2022 topic....any insiders know when Ironman is going to inform athletes? I just called the Kona Ironman office and they still are giving the same line...."We are still planning for the race this October" but the volunteers will be showing up in February.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holding an event like this typically has an average number they know on how many athletes need medical attention at the hospital. Creating MORE strain at a small local hospital is not the smart thing to do when its already full of covid patients and first responders are overworked. People need to realize this is more than just about outdoor events don't spread the virus.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [2brokenhips] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2brokenhips wrote:
I was sent a copy of that notice and thought, if true that the race has indeed been postponed to February, it is really bad form of Ironman not to inform their customers immediately. I understand they probably want to be able to give everyone what the new options are but there are financial ramifications for a lot of the participants on the line.

reality check: Ironman informs ~2,800 customers immediately that race is cancelled. Ironman then receives (choose any multiple of) 2,800 individual "what about this situation" questions in response, and is in no position to provide any answers.

ffs ... give them at least a few days to work through these things. I'm sure they are in as much of a reactive mode to developing information as anyone, but with far more moving parts than most of us could imagine.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
Back to the Kona to Feb 2022 topic....any insiders know when Ironman is going to inform athletes? I just called the Kona Ironman office and they still are giving the same line...."We are still planning for the race this October" but the volunteers will be showing up in February.

agreed that we should stick to the Kona schedule in this thread please.
The vax/antivax conversations are annoying.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's crazy that they said this over the phone,but have not publicly confirmed or denied the stories published everywhere.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Kona postponed to Feb 2022. [GingerAvenger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GingerAvenger wrote:
Because the vaccine does not prevent a person from being a carrier (symptomatic or asymptomatic) of the virus. A person who is fully vaccinated can possibly still be carrying the virus and pass it on to others unknowingly.

So you punish incoming travelers that did the right thing and got vaccinated, to protect the locals who chose not to get vaccinated? This is why this will never end and future races are in jeopardy.

There is this weird doublethink going on where unvaxxed people are both simultaneously to blame for the ongoing pandemic (and some go as far as to say they should be denied medical care), and on the other hand, they are the most worthy of our protection because hospitals will fill up and they are the most likely to need care.

Is it time to revive one of those threads about rotating the world championships?

Strava
Quote Reply

Prev Next