Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
From what I read Gatorade was not available on the bike course at Oceanside and Galveston. Only Mortal. Both Gatorade and Mortal on the run course.

Apparently volunteers had to mix all the individual servings of Mortal. I’m sure that was fun.

that's not correct for Texas 70.3 - they had orange gatorade on the bike course. it was the powder mixed in water bottles though.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know. I had a few people tell me otherwise.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any word which Mortal will be on course? They seem to have a Normal version and a Salty one. I'd prefer the Salty but I'm not optimistic they'll have options like that.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Highlighted text is from the race director of ironman Maryland per the guy who posted this on fb

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like gels are back on the menu, boys.

I have nothing against Mortal, but this simply isn't gonna work. Gonna need way more than 8g sugar per serving to function as a sports drink.
Last edited by: adgatri: Apr 10, 24 13:21
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also learned from Angie that it's the normal version only. Not salty.

She's the best. And I'm still not a fan of this change.

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [MrRabbit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, how did Maryland end up with two amazing race directors in a row? They just know how to pull off amazing things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And it's official. Gatorade to be phased out for all events from July onwards.

https://www.triathlete.com/culture/news/ironman-on-course-drink-mortal-hydration/

Quote:
Van Horn advises that if athletes plan to rely on Mortal Hydration for their electrolyte needs on course that athletes consider carrying more of their own fueling drink mix and/or more solid food."

“I would not recommend increasing servings of Mortal to reach your calorie or carbohydrate needs,” Van Horn warned. “For athletes that have issues with fructose or higher-calorie drink mixes, Mortal Hydration could be a good option, but it could be challenging for athletes that have the potential for over-salting their nutrition plan.”

Nothing like saying to racers that if you want any carbs you should probably think about bringing your own. It's not hard to manage for the bike, but for the run suddenly we all need to get creative.
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 18, 24 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve McKenna must be thrilled. Nerd Belts for the win!
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Lagoon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think my plan for the run will be to take a concentrate hand flask and then flush with water at aid stations, but for the IM distance I might go full running vest.

Who's Steve McKenna?
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 18, 24 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
I think my plan for the run will be to take a concentrate hand flask and then flush with water at aid stations, but for the IM distance I might go full running vest.

Who's Steve McKenna?

That's what I already do (concentrated flask and running bottle sleeve). What really disappoints me though is instead of drinking from my hand flask and banking the "free" maurten gels in my pocket to save for later I might actually have to start using the gels on course when my flask runs out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's also somewhere in the batshit insane file that volunteers have to make these bottles by hand for the bike aid stations.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
It's also somewhere in the batshit insane file that volunteers have to make these bottles by hand for the bike aid stations.

Yeah. And I've seen how that stuff often gets mixed. 😬
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:

Who's Steve McKenna?

A pro from down under. I think he's the dude who does the robot to cut the tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [adgatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's really bizarre these two pairings.

I can see why Mortal Hydration wants to be able to advertise their drink like some kind of endurance formula and hype up how well they perform to non-athletes just wanting to sip something "healthy" (ahem, er ya....) as they go about their day at work. Why else would you add stevia to jazz up the sweetness (and nasty aftertaste) without the extra calories.

But clearly the typical Ironman athlete is someone who is thinking a lot about how many calories they need to add, not subtract.

So the people they are advertising using their product are actually annoyed and upset at having to use the product. They are creating negative goodwill. Meanwhile, the desk jockeys who don't know any better, but just want to kick their habit of drinking soda and think this is a healthier alternative will get to see images of athletes using this stuff and assume that's how you get to be so fit to run an Ironman, by drinking a low cal drink....

It's like the reverse of the original thought behind gatorade -- use for fueling sport, suddenly becomes the drink people take when they are sitting around not doing sport. And now we have a drink made for sitting around not doing sport....used to fuel sport?
Last edited by: Lurker4: Apr 18, 24 11:23
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

I assume they fill them in Europe already, so maybe they figured it's not such a big deal to do so here. At least in Lahti they were handing out reusable water bottles on the bike course.

There is something to be said for the environmental impact being reduced that just happens to line up with the bottom line savings -- win win! Trucking around all that water/gatorade just do dump most of it on the ground/trash does seem pretty inefficient. Now we can drink it out of the volunteer captains garden hose :) hah
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
timbasile wrote:

Who's Steve McKenna?

A pro from down under. I think he's the dude who does the robot to cut the tape.

Correct

Last edited by: Lagoon: Apr 18, 24 11:50
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to mention the user experience for newcomers to the 70.3 or IM distance. I think most of us here will be fine, if annoyed, but imagine you're nervously taking your first step up to a new distance and trying out a 70.3 or IM. You're probably used to drinking "sport drink" as part of your training and taken that as your nutrition at shorter distances. Now you try this, not thinking anything of it besides "this is the sports drink they give out at races" and you're guaranteed to have a bad day. Some will rebound, and try again, but others (or others on their 2nd try) will come to the conclusion that the distance isn't for them. Sure, there's a million things that can go wrong with your race, but you're guaranteeing that someone will because of this product.

This can't be good for IM's outreach strategy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Not to mention the user experience for newcomers to the 70.3 or IM distance. I think most of us here will be fine, if annoyed, but imagine you're nervously taking your first step up to a new distance and trying out a 70.3 or IM. You're probably used to drinking "sport drink" as part of your training and taken that as your nutrition at shorter distances. Now you try this, not thinking anything of it besides "this is the sports drink they give out at races" and you're guaranteed to have a bad day. Some will rebound, and try again, but others (or others on their 2nd try) will come to the conclusion that the distance isn't for them. Sure, there's a million things that can go wrong with your race, but you're guaranteeing that someone will because of this product.

At Galveston 70.3 I watched someone completely empty the contents of their stomach into some bushes. It was the exact same color as the Mortal they were serving on course.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who would have thought there could be negative consequences from drink a substance with this ingredient at every bike aid and run aid station?

"Stevia is considered a diuretic, meaning that it increases the speed at which the body expels water and electrolytes from the body in urine"
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/...sks-and-side-effects
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Lurker4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lurker4 wrote:
Who would have thought there could be negative consequences from drink a substance with this ingredient at every bike aid and run aid station?

"Stevia is considered a diuretic, meaning that it increases the speed at which the body expels water and electrolytes from the body in urine"
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/...sks-and-side-effects

Stevia makes me pee like crazy, I’d literally have to stop every 15min if I drank this.

My Strava | My Instagram | Summerville, SC | 35-39 AG | 4:41 (70.3), 10:05 (140.6) | 3x70.3, 1x140.6 | Cat 2 Cyclist
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is a huge misstep for Ironman. I get that Gatorade Endurance is no longer being made but why not just use Gatorade? My personal opinion is that it’s easier to carry some extra electrolytes than to carry extra cals and carbs.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn, main takeaway from this thread is that you are a bunch of fucking cry babies!

Wonder how folks back in the day survived their ironman races without the exact proper proportions and types of sweetners/electrolytes being served to them on course...
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Th4ddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Th4ddy wrote:
timbasile wrote:

At Galveston 70.3 I watched someone completely empty the contents of their stomach into some bushes. It was the exact same color as the Mortal they were serving on course.

How scientific!....
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok so seriously what’s the plan (as athletes) now that Mortal is the drink. I hate Stevia and see no place for it in my training and racing nutrition. I need energy, I consume sugar. Are lots of people going to now bring tons of bottles of their own sh*t? I have done Gatorade endurance bottles from the aid stations for years on the bike and loved keeping my bike light, not loaded up like an RV during a race, just grab bottles when I needed them. All of a sudden it now seems like if I want to avoid artificial sweetener I now need to bring my own drinks?! This is so disappointing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next