Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trying to get confirmation before I turn the front page guns on this.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
https://drinkmortal.com/

What is this stuff? Is this stuff for kids? Just based on the website, there is nothing on there that immediately tells me this is a sports drink. It just looks very childish.

How much did they pay IM to get this? Has IM not been paying attention to any of the latest nutrition trends (high carbs… 60+ g Cho/hr)?

This is a big fat strikeout for this new CEO. How long until this is reversed? Something tells me this will be fixed by St. George. But unfortunately not earlier.

Everyone needs to get a plan together to fuel their own race and not rely on aid stations.

That website is so god damn cringeworthy. Took me a minute to even realize they do anything other than kombucha.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
mathematics wrote:
rrheisler wrote:
OF FUCKING COURSE they swap to something with Stevia in it.

God dammit. What the fuck are we doing!??!?!?!?!

(Note: the above post is my personal opinion and does not reflect my position or the editorial view of Slowtwitch).

Just posting once anyone needs to know:

Stevia is a sweetener that has 100x the palette sweetness of table sugar. It's used in low calorie foods to make them taste sweeter and have less sugar. A product prevalent to help people who crave sugar eat less calories.

You know, exactly the things that you want in a sports endurance drink, maximal sweetness, minimal calories.

Can't wait for Dr Harrison to chime in.

At a certain point your body processes these other sweeteners as if it just sugar. So don't drink diet often. Otherwise your body adapts.

Kind of correct, but missing the big point. The purpose of sweeteners like this (and most famously aspartame) is that they are so much sweeter than sugar that you only need a tiny amount to get the same taste. Doesn't matter if your body can utilize it fully if there's only a few grams in each bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

What is this stuff? Is this stuff for kids? Just based on the website, there is nothing on there that immediately tells me this is a sports drink. It just looks very childish.

How much did they pay IM to get this? Has IM not been paying attention to any of the latest nutrition trends (high carbs… 60+ g Cho/hr)?

This is a big fat strikeout for this new CEO. How long until this is reversed? Something tells me this will be fixed by St. George. But unfortunately not earlier.

Everyone needs to get a plan together to fuel their own race and not rely on aid stations.

I have to agree

Fight Death
💀

What?!?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:

Thanks to everyone commenting on this thread. I am supposed to go to Oceanside and been waffling due to lack of training and was considering still doing it as a supported touring outing. But if they supporting me with the near zero carb option, I better figure out how I will get suffcient calories in. I normally just rely on three bottles of Gatorade Endurance and a bar for a half IM and take a few gels on the run course complimented with whatever gatordade or coke. I guess with this stuff I will need to take some of my own gels on the bike to get carbs up
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
I'm not that cynical. It's *probably* just a new partnership.

FWIW, most other races still very prominently say Gatorade Endurance will be on course. One can only hope.

Ryan, you know damn well IM uses prior year placeholder info and copy and paste jobs for all their race websites and update them when it gets closer to race day or whenever they get around to it.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Trying to get confirmation before I turn the front page guns on this.

No help from Ironman there. They just responded to a guy on a fb group I’m in with no answer

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They could be using the Drink Death drink at the end of the race, handing out as options, like they do Athletic Brew, Chocolate Milk, etc... Could be an over reaction on slowtwitch.com, as crazy as that sounds.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [dcpinsonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terrible decision for the athletes, if this turns out to be true (and if it is true I’d like to see a front page article interviewing IM about their logic and reasoning).

On the outset, seeing a thread like this seems to also indicate negative backlash potential against Mortal as a product (and I know all press is good but) I’m not sure they would want this (even if our group is of a particularly small minority).
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
They could be using the Drink Death drink at the end of the race, handing out as options, like they do Athletic Brew, Chocolate Milk, etc... Could be an over reaction on slowtwitch.com, as crazy as that sounds.

Screenshots from the volunteer meeting and emails clearly list it as being the hydration offering at both the bike and run aid station.

Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 See attached screenshots posted on an IMTX Facebook page.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Mar 23, 24 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appears reaction is appropriate. Good opportunity for PTO.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking at the Drink Mortal IG page, looks like they released their drink mix on January 17th this year, so a little over 2 months ago.. bet it is tried and tested by dozens! I wonder if IM got dropped by Gatorade and had to find a quick alternative?

Todd Suttor

Working Triathlete Elite Development Team
Professional Triathlete
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [toddsuttortri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thankfully tailwind makes those single serving packs. Might start mixing them with course water

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
stevej wrote:

Thanks to everyone commenting on this thread. I am supposed to go to Oceanside and been waffling due to lack of training and was considering still doing it as a supported touring outing. But if they supporting me with the near zero carb option, I better figure out how I will get suffcient calories in. I normally just rely on three bottles of Gatorade Endurance and a bar for a half IM and take a few gels on the run course complimented with whatever gatordade or coke. I guess with this stuff I will need to take some of my own gels on the bike to get carbs up

Just grab and use more maurten's it's like your making money.

I use my own mix on the bike and go to coke and maurten's and water on the run. but that's just me. Once the Gatorade comes up a time or two it's hard to want to use it ever again, same with any product.

Maybe enough people have puked up the Gatorade by now that they saw little being used at the aid stations? Plus $$$.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, earlier this week the IM tracker app for Oceanside (and I think Galveston also) had the run aid stations clearly identified with Mortal Hydration logo/branding on the tracker’s course map. Those logos no longer appear on the tracker today.

Team Saunders on YouTube
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is mind boggling. They must reverse this decision and even after doing so, someone/many people need to be fired for even considering this.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [mkb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Special needs is going to be busy with people dropping extra bottles in there just to hit their calorie target.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For sure. Next we will find out coke is replaced by caffeine free Diet Pepsi on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Special needs is going to be busy with people dropping extra bottles in there just to hit their calorie target.

Agreed, this seems to be the best way to mitigate this disaster of a decision. I can’t even begin to comprehend why they’d go with a lower carb drink. I am not happy about this at all
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [TonyRad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TonyRad wrote:
I mix my own nutrition and take water on the course but this seems like a very stupid decision. I wonder if they bothered to ask a single customer about this change? Doubtful

If by chance one of my nutrition bottles ejects itself, I’d be screwed. I’d have to grab a dozen gels and salt tabs and stuff them in my pockets in addition to their “sports drinkâ€

This happened to me this year in IM Chatt. Lost both of my nutrition bottles less than like 10 minutes from special needs. I had to use a mix of both Gatorade and gels to get my carb needs. Would have been pretty awful to do the whole things on gels, especially since I also use maurten on the run as it is available on course.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [NYSLIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NYSLIM wrote:
Terrible decision for the athletes, if this turns out to be true (and if it is true I’d like to see a front page article interviewing IM about their logic and reasoning).

On the outset, seeing a thread like this seems to also indicate negative backlash potential against Mortal as a product (and I know all press is good but) I’m not sure they would want this (even if our group is of a particularly small minority).

I'm pretty $ure I under$tand Mdot'$ logic and rea$oning.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m sitting here smiling at the recollection of the Polish Ironman licensee using a ZERO calorie drink for on course hydration in Ironman Gdynia because that’s what the sponsor wanted to promote that year.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This reminds me of professionals being seen running around with Red Bull. No serious athlete uses Red Bull for actual athletics.That is nonsene.

Like others... I just looked at the nutrition facts. This has to be a joke. You would be better off drinking CoolAid
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like Ironman is switching from Gatorade Endurance to Mortal Hydration for US races [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
forum, i read through two pages here without seeing a single "maurten move" joke.

i am disappointed.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply

Prev Next