Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel's encore?! [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
If you look at my back and fourth with FtStri he's just trying to drag down Lionel's accomplishments and say he's ducked people and not chosen to go to "prestigious" races. There is no way of knowing whether or not Lionel has chosen to duck people and second guessing his decisions based on the blow ups we've seen when we know what the goal is: Get to Kona.

I've been racing Tri for 5 years and following it for 4 and I don't know how Frankfort is meant to be prestigious at all. If it is, great I guess. But it doesn't carry mythology for me considering I'm a "new" fan of triathlon and that the races for me that hold any mythology are Kona and Roth to some extent.

frankfurt is more prestigious if you're european, especially if you're from germany. especially if you're a young german based racer, and you haven't been around long enough to have seen the arc in the sport. germany does have the truly prestigious race, but it's not frankfurt. IM lost the most prized race outside of Kona, which was IM germany (in roth). that race became challenge roth. IM placed a race in frankfurt because it needed a german race, but you could throw as much prize money as you want at that race and it will never be roth. now...

as resumes go, lionel is undeniably among the top half dozen men since he's been racing (the last 7 years), at the half and full distance. just look at the resume. only jan, sebi, patrick have won the big one (kona, not frankfurt) since lionel has been racing. it's fair to say these 3 have better resumes. i don't see how he ducks anybody. he does the opposite. he seeks out top athletes to race. he's raced those 3 top-level germans a bunch of times, and does okay. if memory serves in both of lionel's challenge championship wins (2017 and 2018) he beat great fields (kienle got 2nd both times). like him or don't like him, but facts are facts.

I am pretty certain I did not claim Frankfurt was bigger than Roth. It is, however, the biggest Ironman race in Europe. The comparator here was Arizona, if you recall.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
mkq wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
If you look at my back and fourth with FtStri he's just trying to drag down Lionel's accomplishments and say he's ducked people and not chosen to go to "prestigious" races. There is no way of knowing whether or not Lionel has chosen to duck people and second guessing his decisions based on the blow ups we've seen when we know what the goal is: Get to Kona.

I've been racing Tri for 5 years and following it for 4 and I don't know how Frankfort is meant to be prestigious at all. If it is, great I guess. But it doesn't carry mythology for me considering I'm a "new" fan of triathlon and that the races for me that hold any mythology are Kona and Roth to some extent.

Frankfurt is a huge race in Europe and has been for a long time. It is the European IM Championship and not scheduled for right after Kona like AZ or FL, for example. It isn't a big deal that you didn't know of its status but I'd advise against railing against being corrected on this. It just isn't a great look.

I agree that there are some people who are just jealous and are now stuck in the "Lionel sucks" category. I see no problem with him choosing Copenhagen over Frankfurt. He needed the KQ. I personally get frustrated with the chopping and changing and thus likely never approaching his potential.

Never heard of Frankfort triathlon until your post

But I am a newbie

Only been racing triathlons for 38 years

Sorry mate, I can’t help you there. I can help you with the city though. It is Frankfurt, not “Frankfort”
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha...Lionel also won Nice when it was held as ITU long course world's on Penticton :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [mkq] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Macca was always raving that Frankfurt was the new Nice because it was a championship on the way to Kona where he could race the best field outside of Kona since most of the top Kona guys would be there. He wanted to race two international championships per year even (or especially) if it meant crashing the euro party.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can race tris for 68 years and not know what Frodeno, Kienle and Lange are doing (as well as many top German=global guys before them). That’s fine :)

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imagine being such a hysterical lionel fan boy, you think his 2nd place in Kona, puts him at the same level as multiple winners of the race, as well as the other biggest races in the sport

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who has disputed that he's not entertaining? I love the comedy his crazy schemes and subsequent annual meltdowns provide.

all I've done is call out the hysterical fanboyism which has been claiming he has one of the greatest race resumes, while winning precisely zero of the biggest races in the sport

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ah my mistake. crazy of me to think that he would have to win at least one of the biggest races in the sport, even once, to be considered 'one of the greatest race resumes in the last decade'.

but I guess if we're just including any multiple race winners of the last decade, then there's a whole load of athletes we're suddenly going to put in the same category as multiple Kona, 70.3 WC, Roth and Frankfurt etc. winners.

there's been many great athletes with great race resumes over the last decade, similar to lionel, who clearly would not be put in this 'greatest', category because they haven't earned this absolute top level of success that e.g. Kienle, Frodeno, Lange have.

and that's how we know that this is nothing more than the usual hysterical lionel fanboyism.

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [FtStri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FtStri wrote:
imagine being such a hysterical lionel fan boy, you think his 2nd place in Kona, puts him at the same level as multiple winners of the race, as well as the other biggest races in the sport

Nobody thinks that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mkq wrote:
I see no problem with him choosing Copenhagen over Frankfurt. He needed the KQ

Seems people are forgetting that when he chose Copenhagen it was the tougher KQ. Blummenfeldt was supposed to be racing and it only had one spot. Frankfurt was just a bunch of guys Lionel beats all the time and had 2 spots. So saying he ducked competition by not doing 2021 Frankfurt is a bold faced lie.

Also no one seems to want to give him credit for winning Samorin a couple of times (where there’s a 20m draft zone 🤔), and that 2017 field was pretty stacked. Brownlee even brought his swim domestique with him and still blew himself up trying to stay away from Sanders.

None of this is to say that his resume on the same level as Frodo or Lange or Kienle or even Iden. He is in that group just below them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FtStri wrote:
who has disputed that he's not entertaining? I love the comedy his crazy schemes and subsequent annual meltdowns provide.

all I've done is call out the hysterical fanboyism which has been claiming he has one of the greatest race resumes, while winning precisely zero of the biggest races in the sport

I didn’t say entertaining. I said popular. Many in here have suggested the LS popularity (or fanboyism) is unwarranted because they believe he lacks the resume. You seem to fall into that group.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 16, 21 5:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mkq wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
mkq wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Frankfurt is a huge race in Europe and has been for a long time. It is the European IM Championship and not scheduled for right after Kona like AZ or FL, for example. It isn't a big deal that you didn't know of its status but I'd advise against railing against being corrected on this. It just isn't a great look.

I agree that there are some people who are just jealous and are now stuck in the "Lionel sucks" category. I see no problem with him choosing Copenhagen over Frankfurt. He needed the KQ. I personally get frustrated with the chopping and changing and thus likely never approaching his potential.

Never heard of Frankfort triathlon until your post

But I am a newbie

Only been racing triathlons for 38 years

Sorry mate, I can’t help you there. I can help you with the city though. It is Frankfurt, not “Frankfort”

Ah ok thank you for clearing that up

FrankfUrt triathlon

Of course Everyone’s heard of that race.
Last edited by: MrTri123: Oct 16, 21 5:10
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where have I said his popularity is unwarranted? all I've done is call out the fanboys claiming that lionel has a race resume comparable to those who have multiple Kona / 70.3 WC victories, along with victories in the other biggest races in the sport.

always the same with the fanboys though. they claim he's one of the greatest, get called out on the fact that lionel has won precisely zero of the biggest races in the sport, and then try and misdirect and cry about him being popular because he's relatable - and nothing to do with the initial claim of him supposedly being one the greatest triathletes with e.g. 'one of the greatest races resumes of the last decade' and should apparently be in the same bracket as the multiple world champions.

those guys have done what it takes, worked and earned their status as one of the greatest, where as lionel has for years pig headedly refused to do what it takes, choosing to be the clown, which yes makes him popular, but has not brought the results of those who are at the top of the sport, and the fanboys get hysterical when it's pointed out. he's entertaining, but far from one of the greatest triathletes.

there's very good reasons why he hasn't won Kona, 70.3 WC's or any other the other major races.

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FtStri wrote:
all I've done is call out the fanboys claiming that lionel has a race resume comparable to those who have multiple Kona / 70.3 WC victories, along with victories in the other biggest races in the sport.

Right ^
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Earlier in the thread you jumped all over slowman for him suggesting that Lionel has one of the top resumes in long course tri. Slowman did not say he has the best, he simply said one of the best. Then you layered your bar for what one of the best means which was not part of slowman's criteria. Subsequently you called people on this thread clowns and have called Lionel a clown. I think it is perfectly fine to say what your criteria is and it is not disrespectful to Kienle, Frodeno or Lange who are the only ones who have have won Kona since Lionel became a pro.

Iden in my criteria does not factor in yet,, just like Michael Ralaert or Jodi Simpson did not. None have done anything in 140.6. That's my criteria, and it may not be that of others. In my view of long course racing you don't factor into the long course greats until you have wins at 140.6. This is the bar that Mark Allen had to cross to be considered in the long course greats conversation. Until then he was a guy who could win everything at every other distance but failed 6 times at Ironman.
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Oct 16, 21 6:27
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
mkq wrote:
I see no problem with him choosing Copenhagen over Frankfurt. He needed the KQ

Seems people are forgetting that when he chose Copenhagen it was the tougher KQ. Blummenfeldt was supposed to be racing and it only had one spot. Frankfurt was just a bunch of guys Lionel beats all the time and had 2 spots. So saying he ducked competition by not doing 2021 Frankfurt is a bold faced lie.

I'm not sure Mcnamee, Heemeryck, Hogenhaug are just a bunch of guys Lionel normally beats. On top of that you have the winner of the race being the only one together with Frodeno who has done a sub 2:40 (in the heat) on that particular run course. I think it's fair to say Copenhagen was "easier" to qualify at and a smart choice if he wanted to get a spot. I do agree that this doesn't have anything to do with ducking the competition though. It was simply the best choice to achieve what he needed at that time.

BA coaching http://www.bjornandersson.se
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [bjorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I’ll admit a bit of hyperbole, but it’s not like those guys are Jan, Lange or Kienle
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never claimed slowman said he was the best. I've said lionel doesn't belong in the category of 'one of the greatest'.

so I guess I'll have to repeat it again: lionel has won precisely zero of the biggest races in the sport. others who have done so, and multiple times, do belong in that superlative category. they've earned that.

David McNamee has been on the Kona podium twice in that time as well as winning other full and half distance races and no one would be claiming that he's 'one of the greatest'.

David is a great athlete with some awesome results and deserves respect, but I'm sure he would agree that his race results do not compare to what Kienle, Frodeno and Lange have done in this last decade.

and that is how we know that this 'lionel has one of the greatest race resumes' is just baseless fanboyism.

by the way, just for the Americans, whether you've 'heard of' McNamee or not, is irrelevant when talking about race result achievements.

Feel the Speed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FtStri wrote:
I never claimed slowman said he was the best. I've said lionel doesn't belong in the category of 'one of the greatest'.

so I guess I'll have to repeat it again: lionel has won precisely zero of the biggest races in the sport. others who have done so, and multiple times, do belong in that superlative category. they've earned that.

David McNamee has been on the Kona podium twice in that time as well as winning other full and half distance races and no one would be claiming that he's 'one of the greatest'.

David is a great athlete with some awesome results and deserves respect, but I'm sure he would agree that his race results do not compare to what Kienle, Frodeno and Lange have done in this last decade.

and that is how we know that this 'lionel has one of the greatest race resumes' is just baseless fanboyism.

by the way, just for the Americans, whether you've 'heard of' McNamee or not, is irrelevant when talking about race result achievements.

I’m afraid you’re wasting your time, they just don’t want to admit it. This thread ressembles US politics. Even simple facts are subject to debate, people playing on words and being dishonest, it’s a little insane. So the Earth is flat and Sanders has one of the best race resumes of recent years.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Earlier in the thread you jumped all over slowman for him suggesting that Lionel has one of the top resumes in long course tri. Slowman did not say he has the best, he simply said one of the best. Then you layered your bar for what one of the best means which was not part of slowman's criteria. Subsequently you called people on this thread clowns and have called Lionel a clown. I think it is perfectly fine to say what your criteria is and it is not disrespectful to Kienle, Frodeno or Lange who are the only ones who have have won Kona since Lionel became a pro.

Iden in my criteria does not factor in yet,, just like Michael Ralaert or Jodi Simpson did not. None have done anything in 140.6. That's my criteria, and it may not be that of others. In my view of long course racing you don't factor into the long course greats until you have wins at 140.6. This is the bar that Mark Allen had to cross to be considered in the long course greats conversation. Until then he was a guy who could win everything at every other distance but failed 6 times at Ironman.

Interesting, because if you take away the 70.3 record, Lionel has what ? 3 titles ? Granted his 2nd at Kona is great, but does Lionel have a better 140.3 record than Hoffman, TO, McAmee, Skipper, even Wurf ? Maybe even Tim Don ? Rappstar has more IM wins and a world ITU to boot. Do we include him ?

Then if you factor 70.3 in, 2x WC 70.3 Gomez (who has won a 140.3), Iden 2x WC 70.3, the list grows more.

Lionel is always a contender, but there is a group of 3 (in recent years) above the rest, then there is a a group of 7,8, 9...maybe 12 than if you play with the criteria would move up or down. I am sure the TO fans see their boy in the top 5, as do the Javier fans. There just happens to be more Lionel fans (of which I am one).
Last edited by: marcag: Oct 16, 21 7:28
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Interesting, because if you take away the 70.3 record, Lionel has what ? 3 titles ? Granted his 2nd at Kona is great, but does Lionel have a better 140.3 record than Hoffman, TO, McAmee, Skipper, even Wurf ? Maybe even Tim Don ? Rappstar has more IM wins and a world ITU to boot. Do we include him ?

Then if you factor 70.3 in, 2x WC 70.3 Gomez (who has won a 140.3), Iden 2x WC 70.3, the list grows more.

Lionel is always a contender, but there is a group of 3 (in recent years) above the rest, then there is a a group of 7,8, 9...maybe 12 than if you play with the criteria would move up or down. I am sure the TO fans see their boy in the top 5, as do the Javier fans. There just happens to be more Lionel fans (of which I am one).

Where do you come up with "three" as your number?

Lionel has 23 IM 70.3 Wins. 4 IM wins and ton of 2nds. Then add 2 Challenge Championship Wins. 2019 Challenge Daytona win.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FtStri wrote:
the original response was to add balance and reality to some fanboy nonsense claiming lionel has one of the greatest resumes of the last decade, rather than dragging him down.

it's grossly disrespectful to what the other athletes have worked to achieve, to put lionel in that same bracket for a handful of wins against weak fields and a second place in Kona - work that lionel has steadfastly refused to do to get to that level, as he's always thought he knows best, and every year we get a similar post Kona/ end of season video from him.

those who actually belong in that bracket have even multiple Kona / 70.3 WC wins over that period and on top of that, many wins in the biggest races in the sport outside of Kona and the 70.3 WC's, e.g. Frankfurt and Roth, which have always had some of the most competitive fields, whether they mean anything to you or not is irrelevant, along with last years Daytona race - which lionel did not win either.

lionel has a great resume that many would love, but it's far far off 'one of the greatest resumes over the last decade' - and despite that being obvious, even from a quick scan of results, the fanboys still cry about him getting a 2nd in Kona or 4th in Daytona and claiming he's up there with those who actually win these events - and multiple times. there are many European athletes who have achieved very similar results to lionel, who you wouldn't dream of putting in this 'one of the greatest' brackets. difference is, lionel has this cult fanboy club.

as for the dodging races - he's consistently dodged the 70.3 WC's, not just this year, which has historically even been his strongest distance.

this year, very obviously Tulsa had the stronger field over CdA and yet he chose CdA. he then chose the very obviously weaker field in Copenhagen, where even Wurf wasn't due to race until the last moment, over racing Frankfurt. and instead of simply staying in Europe after the Tri Battle, he chose to fly back and forth to the US. many European athletes perfectly well stay in the US for multiple races across months in order to manage their travel and training, but just another thing that lionel wasn't able to handle.

his reasons for choosing the weaker fields are perfectly understandable, but he can't then come out on youtube yelling about how he seeks out racing the best, as he has done many times, while his fanboys pedal this 'he's one of the greatest' nonsense. reality hurts for this group.

Controversial but I tend to agree with most of this.

Dan thinks top 6 in the last 7-8 years, but I tend to disagree if we are looking at Kona and 70.3 worlds. 2nd @ Kona and 4th @ 70.3s in 7 years is a relatively poor return if you are top 6.

If we include the regional races then yeh that bumps him up quite a bit, as he wins more often than he loses. But I think you have to put a lot more weighting on the Championships because let's face it until Covid that was the only time the best raced each other in peak form.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [ALG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha yes very true. an absolute cult, arguing against reality and attempting cartwheels of misdirection, because the cold hard results don't match up to their expectations

Feel the Speed
Last edited by: FtStri: Oct 16, 21 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [Adman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adman wrote:

Controversial but I tend to agree with most of this.

Dan thinks top 6 in the last 7-8 years, but I tend to disagree if we are looking at Kona and 70.3 worlds. 2nd @ Kona and 4th @ 70.3s in 7 years is a relatively poor return if you are top 6.

If we include the regional races then yeh that bumps him up quite a bit, as he wins more often than he loses. But I think you have to put a lot more weighting on the Championships because let's face it until Covid that was the only time the best raced each other in peak form.

If the sample size of racing careers is only about Championships, then yes. That gives you two people to win an Ironman World Championship race since Lionel first qualified. Jan Frodeno and Patrick Lange. So that gives us two people.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel's encore?! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
marcag wrote:

Where do you come up with "three" as your number?

Lionel has 23 IM 70.3 Wins. 4 IM wins and ton of 2nds. Then add 2 Challenge Championship Wins. 2019 Challenge Daytona win.

I was addressing Dev's comments (because I was surprised) that it's mostly about IM. I counted 3, but I forgot the Florida duathlon :-)

If we want to throw 70.3 in the mix, then let's throw in all the guys that podiumed in WCs. You can probably make a decent list of guys, that if they showed up, it isn't obvious Lionel would beat. AB, Gustav, Javier, Tim Don, Tim Reed....and others. The stacked races are the ones we should consider. I think he would be a contender but far from a slam dunk.

IMO, a ton of 70.3 wins, with the dilution of the field does not get you into the "one of the best" club. Lionel's fourth at 70.3 worlds, against a stacked field, his 2nd in Kona, his battles in St-George against Sebi and a few others get you consideration. He was amazing against AB, in AB's debut win in 70.3.

Back to Dev's comments, I think that if you exclude 70.3 from the conversation there are several guys that are similar. And if you include 70.3 there are a few to add. Fewer wins, but much bigger wins.

Every athlete I mentioned would be labelled an exceptional and influential pro at mid to long distance tri. Picking top 6 would be hard. Well at least positions 4 to 6 would be hard.
Last edited by: marcag: Oct 16, 21 8:02
Quote Reply

Prev Next