Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Latex tubes for indian wells? (Different T1/T2, overnight bike racking)
Quote | Reply
Any tips for managing the inevitable latex tube psi drop overnight when doing the mandatory overnight bike racking for 70.3 (Indian wells this weekend)?

Indian wells is a point-to-point, so T1 and T2 are in very different places, so it's not as easy as leaving a pump in T1; I'm not sure what the rules are as to what you can leave in T1, but I suspect it has to fit in the T1 bag, and I'm not sure if I'll even have access to T1 on race morning.

I also have the problem of a disc wheel whose cutout doesn't fit a lot of pumps which makes it harder - although if it's getting to complicated, I may just run 88/88.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for indian wells? (Different T1/T2, overnight bike racking) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
they will have pumps in transition on race morning. They are usually zip tied all along the fence in transition. Plus Playtri will have a tent set up in transition and will usually have the adapter for disc wheels.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for indian wells? (Different T1/T2, overnight bike racking) [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Plumb wrote:
they will have pumps in transition on race morning. They are usually zip tied all along the fence in transition. Plus Playtri will have a tent set up in transition and will usually have the adapter for disc wheels.

That's great info, thanks. Hopefully it's not too nuts to get to them before the swim
Quote Reply
Re: [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve done this before in other IM 70.3 races. Put a bib sticker on the pump and put it in the T1 bag and close it tight. They will still transport it for you. Pump sticking out a little is not a big deal and volunteers understand the situation. These days, I use a small electric pump for the case like that and it’s tiny. You should get one too.
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What electric pump do you like?
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
I’ve done this before in other IM 70.3 races. Put a bib sticker on the pump and put it in the T1 bag and close it tight. They will still transport it for you. Pump sticking out a little is not a big deal and volunteers understand the situation. These days, I use a small electric pump for the case like that and it’s tiny. You should get one too.

Good idea. I actually bought a small electric pump earlier this year and have rarely used it because the manual pump is faster, but I'm charging it right now and will test it out on my disc wheel tomorrow, and if it works, it'll easily fit in the T1 bag.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for indian wells? (Different T1/T2, overnight bike racking) [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use this combo for all Ironman branded races.
I hate wasting time standing in line to pump up.
I hate mornings.
I dislike it when nervous racers want to talk close with bad coffee breath, and the tire pump line is prime for that.

Lezyne Micro Floor Pump - https://ride.lezyne.com/...or-drive-digital-hvg
SILCA HIRO Side Lever Lockring Presta Chuck. - https://silca.cc/...locking-presta-chuck
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [tedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slightly off topic, but I implore everyone to put a handheld pressure gauge in your bag for race morning. Pump gauges are famously bad. The benefit of latex tubes is easily offset by inflating to the wrong psi.

Do all this training, spend all this money, travel all this way, and then say screw on race morning and hope that some random pump gets you close enough. It's a free 5 watts. People spend $700 on derailleur cages that save 10% of that.
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I like the sound of a built in, calibrated & presumably reliable pressure gauge, but do these Fumpa's happen to have a bleed-off valve (manual) to reduce & tune tire pressure if over inflated?

MD
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for indian wells? (Different T1/T2, overnight bike racking) [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you fly with this? Put it in a bike box?
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [mdana87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdana87 wrote:

I like the sound of a built in, calibrated & presumably reliable pressure gauge, but do these Fumpa's happen to have a bleed-off valve (manual) to reduce & tune tire pressure if over inflated?

MD

They do not.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for indian wells? (Different T1/T2, overnight bike racking) [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lonniecdams wrote:
Can you fly with this? Put it in a bike box?

Can you fly with a pressure gauge? I can't imagine why you couldn't.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for indian wells? (Different T1/T2, overnight bike racking) [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I obviously don't fly a lot but they ask about batteries and what not so I wasn't sure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
Slightly off topic, but I implore everyone to put a handheld pressure gauge in your bag for race morning. Pump gauges are famously bad. The benefit of latex tubes is easily offset by inflating to the wrong psi.

Do all this training, spend all this money, travel all this way, and then say screw on race morning and hope that some random pump gets you close enough. It's a free 5 watts. People spend $700 on derailleur cages that save 10% of that.

I learned this hard way. I have 3 bike pumps and they are slightly off. Found the best one among them and I've been using only that one.
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [mdana87] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do not have a bleed off valve but the digital gauge is accurate to within 1psi so there shouldn't be an over-inflation concern.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Any tips for managing the inevitable latex tube psi drop overnight when doing the mandatory overnight bike racking for 70.3 (Indian wells this weekend)?

Indian wells is a point-to-point, so T1 and T2 are in very different places, so it's not as easy as leaving a pump in T1; I'm not sure what the rules are as to what you can leave in T1, but I suspect it has to fit in the T1 bag, and I'm not sure if I'll even have access to T1 on race morning.

I also have the problem of a disc wheel whose cutout doesn't fit a lot of pumps which makes it harder - although if it's getting to complicated, I may just run 88/88.

I think the bigger issues is the drop in temps overnight and then how warm it gets early in the ride and how it effects tire pressure.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for indian wells? (Different T1/T2, overnight bike racking) [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Fumpa pump is only 3.5"x1.7"x2.9" so I just put it in my carry-on with my Di2 batteries. The nano Fumpa is 2.2"x1.0"x1.8" but is only good for 1-2 inflations per battery charge.

Fumpa pumps do come with this warning:

If you are running latex/polyurethane tubes with plastic valve stems (e.g. Tubolito, Schwalbe Aerothan, Pirelli Cinturato etc), then please purchase the Elbow Nozzle Kit with your Fumpa pump. The heat generated by Fumpa can melt the valve stems. Alternatively, please use metal presta valve extenders on your tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have flown quite a few times with a battery/usb powered pump from Amazon - like others have said, just have to go into your carryon.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Re: [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I tried my Amazon-electric pump and with the Hiro chuck it works great on my disc. I'm driving to Indian wells as well, so no flight-carryon issue for me.

I have this one that's $36 on Amazon by Cycplus. Not too big, will easily fit in a regular bag.

Which works fine with the Hiro chuck, a little loud, and about 2x slower than a hand pump, but works fine and has a digital psi gauge (of unknown accuracy). It does come with its own extension tubing, to which the Hiro attaches no problem (schrader-style) and no worries of melting. I inflated both my front and rear as a test today and the battery gauge estimated it used about 1/3rd of the battery.

I did just see that the same company has a smaller one like the Fumpa but I've never tried it, and I'd probably just buy the Fumpa at that price.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for indian wells? (Different T1/T2, overnight bike racking) [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you help me understand why you need the SILCA locking presta chuck? It looks like the Lezyne floor pump has a locking chuck already. I've been looking for a small floor pump that I can take to races, and your suggestion looks perfect. I'm just wondering why I would need the extra chuck from SILCA.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for indian wells? (Different T1/T2, overnight bike racking) [Eileen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the flip chuck that comes with the pump works with a standard spoked wheel but you will not be able to get a bend in the hose be able to have the Lezyne chuck mount inside the disc wheel if that what you are using. if not using a disc, just the pump will wrk. Its a straight on mount as shown in the link, now I am unsure if that black elbow piece come with it.
My micro pump did not.

https://ride.lezyne.com/...4&pr_seq=uniform
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for indian wells? (Different T1/T2, overnight bike racking) [mike s] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just use an old fashioned crack pipe, no need for a special pump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I don’t have a disc, so it looks like the Lezyne pump alone should work perfectly. I travel a lot to races, and I hate lugging my big floor pump with me.
Quote Reply