Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spookini wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
there is still an incredible amount of confusion regarding what is what.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Just because people have used cloth rim tape or plastic rim strips without failure doesn't mean they are just as solid solutions as rim tape.

Hmm, no idea why..

You have:

Cloth Rim Tape - one circular piece of cloth that you put around the rim. It snaps in place
Plastic Rim Strips - one circular piece of plastic that you put around the rim. It snaps in place
Plastic Rim Tape, Aka Rim Tape, Aka Tubeless Rim Tape, Aka Stans - an adhesive piece of tape that you wrap around the rim. It is not circular. It does not snap into place.
Velox Rim Tape - an adhesive piece of cloth based rim tape. It is not circular. It does not snap into place. It is heavier and thicker than Stans. The later makes mounting tires on new-age wide rims even harder.

I hope that helps clear up any confusion.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: May 16, 17 15:23
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
Please, for the love of god, do not bring weight into the discussion of rim tape/strips. Shaving your 5 o'clock shadow makes more of a weight difference. And cotton rim tape like Velox is hands down the most reliable option. It doesn't slide around at all and doesn't have any edges than may slice the tube.

Tape-something with adhesive

rim strip- literally a circular piece of plastic that you stretch onto the rim.

I have shaved my 5 o'clock shadow, I have also weighed my head hair after cutting it. The reality is that no, there is quite a bit of difference of weight. Maybe you have had success with Velox. That is fine. But why are you trying to argue against Stans rim tape. Are you a Velox rep or something. Honestly IMHO you are doing people a disservice on here by recommending it.

I don't know what product you think I am recommending and I honestly don't know if you are reading my replies. If you want to debate the reliability of Velox that is one thing. But both Velox and Stans Rim Tape have edges. Stans is thinner, making it easier to mount difficult tires on the wider rims. It is also lighter. Why would you not go with something thinner and lighter given these benefits?

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Cloth Rim Tape - one circular piece of cloth that you put around the rim. It snaps in place

Hmm....Velox cloth rim tape is NOT a circular piece of cloth that snaps in place. It's an adhesive backed length of tape with a hole for the valve stem in one end. Perhaps that is not what you are referring to?

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/...-cloth-rim-tape.html

Note, I have no dog in the velox vs. stans witch-hunt.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: May 16, 17 15:18
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Hmm....Velox cloth rim tape is NOT a circular piece of cloth that snaps in place. It's an adhesive backed length of tape with a hole for the valve stem in one end. Perhaps that is not what you are referring to?

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/...-cloth-rim-tape.html

Right Velox is another product. It is an adhesive backed piece of tape. I was referring to the normal cloth-based rim strips that come stock on wheels. Velox is going to better from the adhesive standpoint in not sliding around but it will be heavier, thicker, and it is not smooth.

I went back an added Velox to my post above.

Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: May 16, 17 15:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Thomas, my wheels are carbon deep-section wheelset I got from Yoeleo in China, and I don't think they have any kind of rim-tape or strip. Should I put tape before installing the tubes? If I remember correctly, the inside of the wheel is pretty much smooth carbon surface.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do your rims have any holes drilled in them for installing the spokes?
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [guscrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guscrown wrote:
Hey Thomas, my wheels are carbon deep-section wheelset I got from Yoeleo in China, and I don't think they have any kind of rim-tape or strip. Should I put tape before installing the tubes? If I remember correctly, the inside of the wheel is pretty much smooth carbon surface.

You have to use something regardless of whether you are using butyl or latex tubes. I would suggest getting some Stans or Silca. Even if you have a solid disc wheel with no spoke holes then I still recommend a layer of at least electrical tape.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since the early 1980's I have used adhesive strapping tape. Strong thin and light. I have had it fail once, but that wheel had been taped for over 15 years when it finally got brittle.

Something like this:

6pk 1" x 60 yd Fiberglass Reinforced Strapping Filament Tape 3.9 Mil Thickness (.94 in, 24 MM) https://www.amazon.com/...cp_api_517gzbXPSD61N

I like the Stans tape a lot though
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guscrown wrote:
Hey Thomas, my wheels are carbon deep-section wheelset I got from Yoeleo in China, and I don't think they have any kind of rim-tape or strip. Should I put tape before installing the tubes? If I remember correctly, the inside of the wheel is pretty much smooth carbon

The yeoleos aren't drilled for spokes. Run your finger inside the rims. If you don't feel anything sharp or machined, there's no need for protection. If you feel anything... better sand it down and/or use a protective strip/tape.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iamuwere wrote:
Since the early 1980's I have used adhesive strapping tape. Strong thin and light. I have had it fail once, but that wheel had been taped for over 15 years when it finally got brittle.

Something like this:

6pk 1" x 60 yd Fiberglass Reinforced Strapping Filament Tape 3.9 Mil Thickness (.94 in, 24 MM) https://www.amazon.com/...cp_api_517gzbXPSD61N

I like the Stans tape a lot though

Yep that is something I have recommended as well. It is very possible that 3M makes the tape for Stans and Silca.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jmjtri wrote:
Please, for the love of god, do not bring weight into the discussion of rim tape/strips. Shaving your 5 o'clock shadow makes more of a weight difference. And cotton rim tape like Velox is hands down the most reliable option. It doesn't slide around at all and doesn't have any edges than may slice the tube.

I have shaved my 5 o'clock shadow, I have also weighed my head hair after cutting it. The reality is that no, there is quite a bit of difference of weight. Maybe you have had success with Velox. That is fine. But why are you trying to argue against Stans rim tape. Are you a Velox rep or something. Honestly IMHO you are doing people a disservice on here by recommending it.

I don't know what product you think I am recommending and I honestly don't know if you are reading my replies. If you want to debate the reliability of Velox that is one thing. But both Velox and Stans Rim Tape have edges. Stans is thinner, making it easier to mount difficult tires on the wider rims. It is also lighter. Why would you not go with something thinner and lighter given these benefits?

How am I doing people a disservice by recommending one of the top rim tapes on the market? You're literally preaching for people to buy tubeless rim tape. I have no idea why you would use tubeless rim tape if you have no intention of running tubeless. And yes, both have edges. But there's a big different between an cotton edge and a plastic edge. Oh, and rim tape thickness really has nothing to do with being able to fit narrow tires on wide rims. The tube is not the limiting factoring in that scenario, but the tire itself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hey thomas one thing I would add to your report is if you use Orange seal when the wheels are not in use to hang or position the value in the UP or TOP position so the sealant does not seal the valve and then you can not pump it with air

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jmjtri wrote:

How am I doing people a disservice by recommending one of the top rim tapes on the market? You're literally preaching for people to buy tubeless rim tape. I have no idea why you would use tubeless rim tape if you have no intention of running tubeless. And yes, both have edges. But there's a big different between an cotton edge and a plastic edge. Oh, and rim tape thickness really has nothing to do with being able to fit narrow tires on wide rims. The tube is not the limiting factoring in that scenario, but the tire itself.
I can't speak for Thomas but it seems pretty clear that he's suggesting the tapes sold for tubeless use are better than the existing solutions for tubed setups too, especially where latex tubes are concerned.
Why would a thinner tape not make it easier to mount a tight tyre?
It's standard practice to push the bead to the middle of the rim channel to maximise the slack on the opposite side of the wheel and allow the final section of the bead to be pulled onto the rim. Anything that reduces the radius of surface the bead rests on will make it easier to mount a tight tyre. So, if the tubeless tape is thinner then it will surely aid in mounting tight tyres? The effect might be pretty small but it's valid.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [ck21trhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ck21trhc wrote:
hey thomas one thing I would add to your report is if you use Orange seal when the wheels are not in use to hang or position the value in the UP or TOP position so the sealant does not seal the valve and then you can not pump it with air

Great addition. Thanks for the feedback.

Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Getting the first side of the tire on isn't the hard part though. The hardest part of getting a tire onto a wheel is getting the second bead on. When you're doing this, the first bead won't be in the middle of the wheel, but to the side since the innertube is on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jmjtri wrote:

Thinner strips makes mounting easier because it effectively gives you a deeper bead valley in the middle which makes the tyre much looser to mount.
If you use Velox tape and it's edge is close to the tyre bead you can get a little valley at that intersection for the latex to creep and thin out. Plus the edge on Velox is not exactly latex friendly.
I suspect the photo posted above is suffering from this type of phenomenon.
Velox is the best by far high pressure rim tape ever made.
But we don't use 150psi any more and it's thickness is only a detractor now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
Getting the first side of the tire on isn't the hard part though. The hardest part of getting a tire onto a wheel is getting the second bead on. When you're doing this, the first bead won't be in the middle of the wheel, but to the side since the innertube is on.
Thin rim tape will help with mounting the second bead in the same way as the first....the tube's not inflated when you mount the tyre. If the tyre is tight, the bead I'm mounting will be in the middle of the rim channel at the far side of the wheel regardless whether it's the first or second bead.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
/how is the edge not latex friendly. The tape's made of cotton which means that it'll get pressed down essential. The edge isn't abrupt unlike its plastic counter parts. And it will not make mounting the tire easier as the hardest part of mounting a tire is getting the second bead on. When you're doing that the bead isn't touching the tape so it doesn't matter. If you struggle at getting the first bead on, without a tube on, then yes. It will make it easier. And you can't argue that Velox tape has edges that are too close to the bead because there are multiple widths that you can buy. Tubeless tape is the widest off all tape, in terms of bead to bead coverage so your point is moot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're assuming that 1) a fraction of a millimeter will make a noticeable difference and 2) The cotton tape will not compress, then sure. Your fragile hands will be able mount any tire you wish and still be able to give silky smooth hand jobs to your boyfriend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
/how is the edge not latex friendly. The tape's made of cotton which means that it'll get pressed down essential. The edge isn't abrupt unlike its plastic counter parts. And it will not make mounting the tire easier as the hardest part of mounting a tire is getting the second bead on. When you're doing that the bead isn't touching the tape so it doesn't matter. If you struggle at getting the first bead on, without a tube on, then yes. It will make it easier. And you can't argue that Velox tape has edges that are too close to the bead because there are multiple widths that you can buy. Tubeless tape is the widest off all tape, in terms of bead to bead coverage so your point is moot.

Velx tape is 1mm thick x two.
Quite a difference to an almost unmeasurable tubeless tape thickness.
Of course the beads are sitting in the valley when you roll the last of the tyre on.
If they are not you are just making life hard for yourself.

Even though the velox tape is sort of soft, it still has texture and the ridges and dips can make the latex creep and thin out.

Tubeless tape is simply better in every aspect.
There are no downsides.
Why not use it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
If you're assuming that 1) a fraction of a millimeter will make a noticeable difference and 2) The cotton tape will not compress, then sure. Your fragile hands will be able mount any tire you wish and still be able to give silky smooth hand jobs to your boyfriend.
Hmmm, I've tried to explain to you why another poster's point, which you ridiculed, is in fact valid. As it dawns on you that you're mistaken you've kinda conceded your errors. What's with the attitude?
Have I not remained civil? Does that deserve your childish insinuations. Stop being a dick.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The tube isn't going to creep between the weave of the cotton tape. And even if it were to hypothetically, there's no downside to that. And better in every aspect? I don't think so. Cotton rim tape is definitely the most resilient and longest lasting option. You can even peal it off old rims and stick it on new ones. One's been used for decades and the other is relatively new to the market. Sure, both tapes will get the job done with no problem what so ever. But to say that one is better than the other in every aspect is ludicrous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
jmjtri wrote:

Hmmm, I've tried to explain to you why another poster's point, which you ridiculed, is in fact valid. As it dawns on you that you're mistaken you've kinda conceded your errors. What's with the attitude?
Have I not remained civil? Does that deserve your childish insinuations. Stop being a dick.

I haven't concerned any errors. I said that you'd be right if you made two unwarranted assumptions. Its as valid as saying that a feather will always drop just as fast a marble. You have to make an assumption that isn't congruent with reality. (which in this case would be that the test medium is a vacuum) The attitude is me poking fun at the fact that you think ease of fitting a tire (which is infinitesimal at best if we were to make two false assumption) is a crucial part of choosing a spokehole covering solution. And keep in mind, if he's using latex tubes then chances are he's not worried about changing the tires as they would only be changed for race day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
jmjtri wrote:

You are doing a disservice because the prevailing wisdom of the most experienced on the board is don't use Velox because it is not as reliable as other options and offers no benefit over say Stans tape. Talk to guys like Tom A, Rappstar, or JoshAtSilca, and I am fairly confident they will recommend what I am recommending and for similar reasons. I have mentioned numerous times the benefits of tape but you seem to ignore dismiss them. I answered your question, can you answer mine. Are you a Velox employee or something??? Not sure why such a close-mind. I have used Velox, I have used cotton-based striped, I have used veloplugs, I have used veloplugs with electrical tape layer. I have used plastic based strips. At the end of the day after years and years of using Latex I have decided that Stans/Silca tape is the best option. I would be curious. Have you ever tried tape?

Again at the crux, you seem to be hung up on the fact that that it is tubeless rim tape. As others have indicated there is nothing special about this tape. This tape has been around before tubeless was even invented. What you have is a smooth tape, that is thin, light and reliable. Again vs Velox:

1) Lighter - 20 grams is 20 grams
2) Thinner - I don't understand your argument. The tire sits on the tape. The thicker the tape the harder it is to get the tires on the rims. Do you have a wide rim? Have you tried to get say a Vittoria Corsa Speed on the Rim? The Corsa is one of the hardest if not hardest race tires ever to get on rims. Specifically rims like the Enve 7.8 or HED JET+. It is a real struggle. A thinner tape makes it easier as it doesn't raise the tire up as much. I am sure someone else can explain this better.
3) In regards to reliability. The tire bead itself sits on edge of the tape. The edge should haven't anything to do with it. Now velo plugs where the edge is inside the rim where the tube is I agree leads to decreased reliability.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No I'm not a Velox employee. I'm also not a weight weenie who's going to cry over 20 grams because honestly, it doesn't matter. How about you address the fact that a smooth tape will allow for more movement between the tape and the inner tube. That movement contributes to increased rolling resistance.

No I haven't used Vittoria Cora speed as they're tubeless tires. The poster said he was running latex. No I don't use HED wheels because they have flimsy fairings and they're heavy. And there's going to be "an edge" on both types of tape once the tire is inflated. The beads of the Tire don't sit on the tape when they're inflated.

No I haven't use Stans tape and I don't plan on trying it anytime soon. When I have a reason to stop using the type of tape that's been working perfectly for decades, then I'll venture to try a different tape. I have had ZERO problems with Velox which is why I use it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next