Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Latex tubes for dummies
Quote | Reply
Just put latex tubes in my Flo race wheels. First time using latex. I got them in and inflated with little trouble and probably way too much talc. patience is a virtue.

Now I read Gerlach's recent post in which he says you should use tubeless rim tape. Is this a critical step I missed?

Anything else I missed or should do?
Feel like I'm overthinking this
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [JustTooFarr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you use any rim tape?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com/...-guide-to-latex.html

Had no problems my first time following this guide.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [walie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I deserved that, I did title this "for dummies" Yes, standard cloth rim tape on one and flo rim strip on the other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently did the same thing as I installed vittoria latex tubes with just the standard rim tape that came with my flo's. I'm hoping they don't flat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, I use latex with my Renn disc rear and H3 trispoke front--no rim tape, no talc. It just takes patience to install properly.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
Now I read Gerlach's recent post in which he says you should use tubeless rim tape. Is this a critical step I missed?

Latex tubes have existed much longer than tubeless rim tape.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be fine as long as the rim tape doesn't have and holes or gaps. I just installed latex on my wheel and will do the same to rear wheel in the next day or so with the same rim tape I have used the last few season. You would know really quickly if you installed them wrong because they would pop when you pumped them up.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overthinking. Latex works fine with Flo's default rim tape.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've always used the rim tape that came with the wheel and haven't had any issues. I also don't use any powder when mounting. Just be careful not to pinch it when mounting the tire. I usually don't use irons when mounting the tire just for this reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had a problem with either tubeless rim tape like Stan's or cloth rim tape like Velox. I have had problems with plastic rim strips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been using lates tubes nearly from the beginning and i more often than not apply a bit baby powder on the wheels and rim tape to ensure no sticking of the tube while installing.

The gp4000ii I've had lately seem to have been made on friday because they're not easy to roll over the rims so to make sure i dont fuck up the tube it all gets baby powder. Also i double check that no pink is seen after i install the tire and add about 15~20lbs of air the check again for any pink if nothing then i flate to your needs but if you see pink still then re-do all of the steps inyil mo pink!

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [playero] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless ur tubes are green.

Plastic rim strips can sometimes have rather sharp edges that can turn up at the edges and slowly work their way into the latex.
They won't flat straight away, but may in time.
Latex likes to creep so any small shapes can work their way into the tube.
Grit, carbon bits left over from cutting rim hooks and plastic strips with sharp edges may cause problems over time.
Even the material edge on velox rim tape thins out the latex in an obvious pattern when left in the same spot.
Tubeless rim tape has none of these problems and is usually wide enough to cover the entire rim bed from bead to bead which also insulates the tyre somewhat from excessive heat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JustTooFarr wrote:
Just put latex tubes in my Flo race wheels. First time using latex. I got them in and inflated with little trouble and probably way too much talc. patience is a virtue.

Anything else I missed or should do?
Feel like I'm overthinking this

The reality is that I can't think of any downsides to using RIM tape other than it costing a few bucks. Frankly it is lighter, thinner, and more reliable IMHO. I was quite surprised, but not really that surprised, by the dissenters to latex when I posted that on FB last week. The number of people who said, "I tried latex, had flats, and stopped" tells me that they were doing something wrong.

Just because people have used cloth rim tape or plastic rim strips without failure doesn't mean they are just as solid solutions as rim tape. I liken it to hard shell vs soft shell bike cases. Everyone wants a soft-shell until the first time their bike is broken. Then it is a hard shell. Hang around enough seasoned professionals (they travel by bike box a lot) and it should be evident that nearly all of them eventually end up with a hard shells.

While many people may not have any problems with rim strips, the reality is that latex is very clever. Who know what happens, maybe a little bit of the rim strips dries out and ravels, and next thing you know now the latex has a small escape path to run under the rim strip.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't use rim strips that come with the wheels. Especially if you're using latex. Rim strips often slip, revealing the spoke holes. That how I flatted during a race once. I recommend traditional rim tape, like Velox.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So i decided to go ahead and put some stans 21mm rim tape on the wheels.

I took the tubes out this morning and found a crazy dimple/ stretch pattern on both. This concerns me, is this normal to see on latex tubes? Are they still sound? should I scrap them for new ones?

Again probably overthinking this but at least now I have stans on my wheels so going in the right direction.

Wish I was tech savvy enough to figure out uploading the picture I took of them.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [narcomoeba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
narcomoeba wrote:
http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com/...-guide-to-latex.html

Had no problems my first time following this guide.

Glad it helped, that's always worked out well for me.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, you are overthinking it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I honestly haven't changed my latex tubes yet. I just leave my race tires and tubes on my race wheels. They're probably fine. There's a reason that latex tubes are fast. It's because they are very stretchy and not rigid. I'd leave them on.Can't speak for that rim tape though. As long as it's traditional cotton tape you should be good.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [jmjtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jmjtri wrote:
I honestly haven't changed my latex tubes yet. I just leave my race tires and tubes on my race wheels. They're probably fine. There's a reason that latex tubes are fast. It's because they are very stretchy and not rigid. I'd leave them on.Can't speak for that rim tape though. As long as it's traditional cotton tape you should be good.

They were referencing Stan's Rim Tape. Stan's Rim Tape is a plastic like tape that is very thin an adheres to rims. It is not to be confused with cotton rim strip etc. I can see there is still an incredible amount of confusion regarding what is what. It probably doesn't help that there isn't a lot of differentiation in the words "rim tape".

The reality is that while traditional cotton tape may work for some people, that the true plastic rim tape is lighter, thinner, and more reliable than rim strips. Just think of it this way. A rim strip adheres to the rim through the force of the strip itself, but it can still slide around which is what opens it up to possible failure. Rim tape is actual tape and stick to the rims like tape should. It doesn't shift or move.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty proud of my computer skills here.

These are the tubes I pulled out, after 24 hours in Flo carbon Clinchers with Conti GP4000's these usable?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do they have a hole in them?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please, for the love of god, do not bring weight into the discussion of rim tape/strips. Shaving your 5 o'clock shadow makes more of a weight difference. And cotton rim tape like Velox is hands down the most reliable option. It doesn't slide around at all and doesn't have any edges than may slice the tube.

Tape-something with adhesive

rim strip- literally a circular piece of plastic that you stretch onto the rim.
Quote Reply
Re: Latex tubes for dummies [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no holes, which should be enough to tell me they are fine but I am second guessing everything
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
there is still an incredible amount of confusion regarding what is what.

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Just because people have used cloth rim tape or plastic rim strips without failure doesn't mean they are just as solid solutions as rim tape.

Hmm, no idea why..
Quote Reply

Prev Next