Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took a crack at faster 50s for back and breast this morning and improved quite a bit on what I did last week. 34 high for back (very surprised by this) and 37 high for breast with 100 ez kick between them, I'll call it a combined 1:12.5. Add that to my original times for fly and free and I'm at 2:18.5 for the 200IM SCM.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
I took a crack at faster 50s for back and breast this morning and improved quite a bit on what I did last week. 34 high for back (very surprised by this) and 37 high for breast with 100 ez kick between them, I'll call it a combined 1:12.5. Add that to my original times for fly and free and I'm at 2:18.5 for the 200IM SCM.

Hmm, conveniently a half second ahead of me... and double letters too...ā€¦. ;-P

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

Hmm, conveniently a half second ahead of me... and double letters too...ā€¦. ;-P

I thought we cleared double letters in the last name? ;)

Also, it was witnessed by Pierre Lafontaine so it's legit! Maybe witnessed is a bit strong..... he was on the pool deck a couple of lanes over. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
October swim challenge from Swimming Canada masters section.

Swimmers are invited to swim a timed 50m of each stroke which will be added together for a 200 individual medley time. The results will be compiled for the 200 IM add up.

https://www.swimming.ca/en/masters/

Who wants to do a little ST side challenge off that?

Edit to add leaderboard

Monty (SCY, older than some rocks)
30.36/35.87/39.5/31. --> 2:16.73. converted to SCM- 2:31.17

zenmaster28 (SCM, 44)
35, 34 high, 37 high, 31 ---> 2:18.5

JasoninHalifax (SCM, 48)
31, 34, 44.5, 29.5 --> 2:19

PowerPlay (SCY, 62)
34.2 37.7 40.9 32.5 --> 2:25.3

ajthomas (SCM????,age?? )
39, 39, 48, 35 - 2:42

doug in co (SCY, 59)
44, 41, 43, 29 - 2:37 === 2:54 converted to SCM

Dev Paul (SCM, 55?) - continuous and less than 100%
48 59 62 47 -->` 3:46

and so far incomplete:

daved (SCY, 45)
27.9 (fly)

gary p (SCY, age 51)
40.16 (breast) 29.40 (free)

RealAB (SCM - 43?)
--

Squidly (LCM, 23)
--

tri4balance (SCM, 52)
--[37.91, 42.47, 42.66, 33.34 = 235.38]

Michael Hay - helped on the journey by the great folks at ZiZU Optics, (for the custom fit), and Bialkowlski's TRYSPORT
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was way harder (and slower than I thought it woud be). Did a nice warm up with Craig Taylors crew and then went for it. Craig and Mike Coughlin timed for me. I have not swam 50 fly ever really. Craig said to go out slow and I thought I was listening but turns out I didnt. I did all of them with about 2-3 min rest ez swimming in between. will try again later in the week with more rest to see if I can get a few more seconds off these times

Splits were SCM
50 fly 16.22 and 21.69 for 37.91
50 back 20.83, 21.64 for 42.47
50 br - 21.02 21.64 for 42.66
50 fr 16.5716.77 for 33.34
2:35.38

Thanks for posting this Challenge Jason - makes me want to start swimming other strokes again for fun!!

Michael Hay - helped on the journey by the great folks at ZiZU Optics, (for the custom fit), and Bialkowlski's TRYSPORT
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [tri4balance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tri4balance wrote:
That was way harder (and slower than I thought it woud be). Did a nice warm up with Craig Taylors crew and then went for it. Craig and Mike Coughlin timed for me. I have not swam 50 fly ever really. Craig said to go out slow and I thought I was listening but turns out I didnt. I did all of them with about 2-3 min rest ez swimming in between. will try again later in the week with more rest to see if I can get a few more seconds off these times

Splits were SCM
50 fly 16.22 and 21.69 for 37.91
50 back 20.83, 21.64 for 42.47
50 br - 21.02 21.64 for 42.66
50 fr 16.5716.77 for 33.34
2:35.38

Thanks for posting this Challenge Jason - makes me want to start swimming other strokes again for fun!!

updated leaderboard and corrected your final time - should be 2:36.38 if my math is right...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is my updated time from yesterday;

My new virtual IM SCY-- 30.36/35.87/38.66/31--- 2;15.69 SCM. 2;30.74 converted
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll work it into my set tomorrow. Will be the first actual breast kick I've done in over a year I think.

-----
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [tri4balance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50 fly 16.22 and 21.69 for 37.91 //

ouch!! I didnt even know it was possible to die in a 50 fly, that looks like the ending 50 of a 200!! (-;

Good news is that if you go out in 17+, you can come back in 19 at least, so some low hanging fruit for you to grab...
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha ha - it was crazy cause Craig the coach said - save your legs for the last 15 meters - I thought I was doing that but when I got there I could barely get my arms around. I think the fly is the stroke that I fake it the most in. If for instance I try fly kick as a drill - I barely move at all. The idea that there are people that can distance swim butterfly blows me away. In Ontario there was a girl named Vicki Keith I think that swam fly across one of the great lakes here. But yes I am hungry to try this little challenge again in a few days.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job you guys !!
I'll try to get back in the pool before the end of oct.
Not my week meeeeeh.
Got some second degree burns on forearms last tuesday from splashed hot soup (don't ask how...).
I'll let the blisters and skin heal before going back in the pool. The headcold will eventually go away too...

Louis :)
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My swimming is in the tank....2 days of biz travel and all I have done is 2.5 hrs of running....at this rate people will accuse me of being a triathlete. I am blowing my hard earned image as a wannabee fish. I could get excommunicated out of these threads and banished to one of those stupid FTP theads, which bike is more aero threads, or another zwift or windtunnel thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
My swimming is in the tank....2 days of biz travel and all I have done is 2.5 hrs of running....at this rate people will accuse me of being a triathlete. I am blowing my hard earned image as a wannabee fish. I could get excommunicated out of these threads and banished to one of those stupid FTP theads, which bike is more aero threads, or another zwift or windtunnel thread.

yeah, get yer ass back in the pool or you'll be limited to arguing about which inner tubes are more aerodynamic....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

yeah, get yer ass back in the pool or you'll be limited to arguing about which inner tubes are more aerodynamic....

There is a 45 min window after my train gets back home to Ottawa and the Nepean Sportsplex pool closes (the pool for Masters Swimming Ontario provincials)...I suppose enough time to get a 30 min swim in as the pool is 3 min drive from train station (yes the train time was selected to have a chance at a pool session). I heard in one of those threads that butyl tubers are more aerodynamic since they lead to less tire deformation at the contact point, which would mean better aero shape at that point, but more rolling resistance. I'll need to take the question back to a wind turnnel thread where they can determinee the impact of this on the Kona draft pack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my effort:

did each 50 twice, as I wasn't fully happy the first time around, it being the first time in long time I've done hard efforts in back or breast. All from a push, standard training jammer, 25y pool. Self timed with my garmin, which really doesn't affect much, only backstroke is really awkward on the finish.

(1st round// 2nd round)
50 fly: 27.71 // 27.37
50 back: 30.42// 29.95
50 br: 35.30// 35.29 (I clearly have no idea how to breast kick anymore, much less time it with a pull)
50 free: 25.30// 25.53

scy total: 1:57.91

converted bests to scm using swimswam:
fly: 30.38
back: 33.24
breast: 39.17
free: 28.08

converted total: 2:10.88

age group = M38

-----
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

gary p (SCY, age 51)

Ģ¶4Ģ¶0Ģ¶.Ģ¶1Ģ¶6Ģ¶ Ģ¶(Ģ¶bĢ¶rĢ¶eĢ¶aĢ¶sĢ¶tĢ¶)Ģ¶ Ģ¶2Ģ¶9Ģ¶.Ģ¶4Ģ¶0Ģ¶ Ģ¶(Ģ¶fĢ¶rĢ¶eĢ¶eĢ¶)Ģ¶
36.57 (back) 39.01 (breast) 28.10 (free)

OK, fellow fools, I got serious today and put this challenge at the front of my workout instead of the back. Bettered my times for breast and free, and got a time for back. Expect to get a fly time off the blocks Sunday at Masters team practice.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Oct 24, 19 15:59
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hysterical Dev

Who rides tubes anymore anyways? ive been tubeless for years and loving it!!
cx, road, mountain... all tubeless.
But you're safe Dev, you're a fish now! You have shown that. Period. Rest easy my friend.

Ok got in a decent loosen up swim post altitude mnt bike boot camp for 4 days.
Ill give that backstroke and possibly breast a shot today! assuming the calf cramps keep away... had a tough time w them yesterday.

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a bunch of stuff in the smoke here(Santa Clarita fires) in a hot dive pool, and forced myself to do a 50 free at the end, 29.5. So here is my new virtual time;

My new virtual IM SCY-- 30.36/35.87/38.66/29.5--- 2;14.19

Gonna have to suit up if I want anymore I would guess, all the low hanging fruit has done been picked. Not sure I can get motivated, unless you extend the challenge to next month too..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think weā€™ll do something different next month. Maybe revisit the add up IM sometime in the new year

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll have 4 days to do hard stuff now that biz travel is over for a bit and I crammed in my 5400m IM set at 13x400IM and 1x200IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

gary p (SCY, age 51)

Ģ¶4Ģ¶0Ģ¶.Ģ¶1Ģ¶6Ģ¶ Ģ¶(Ģ¶bĢ¶rĢ¶eĢ¶aĢ¶sĢ¶tĢ¶)Ģ¶ Ģ¶2Ģ¶9Ģ¶.Ģ¶4Ģ¶0Ģ¶ Ģ¶(Ģ¶fĢ¶rĢ¶eĢ¶eĢ¶)Ģ¶
36.57 (back) 39.01 (breast) 28.10 (free)

OK, fellow fools, I got serious today and put this challenge at the front of my workout instead of the back. Bettered my times for breast and free, and got a time for back. Expect to get a fly time off the blocks Sunday at Masters team practice.

Got one shot at a 50 fly off the blocks today. Havenā€™t done any real sprint fly work in a while, so my timing was all off. Felt like a discombobulated mess on my way to a 30.97. Last 3 times I raced this event, I went 28.9-29.1, but I donā€™t know if I have any more in me at this time. So that makes my provisional SCY time 2:14.65. Converted to SCM, thatā€™s 2:29.46.

Might be a little fat to trim on that breast leg; Iā€™ll give it another shot Tuesday. If Iā€™m feeling really frisky, I may take another crack at the fly leg, too. But thereā€™s a pretty good chance Iā€™ve already posted the best times Iā€™m capable of at the moment.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I think weā€™ll do something different next month. Maybe revisit the add up IM sometime in the new year

I am trying to figure out how you can get more participation from a triathlon forum. I am pretty well the slowest swimmer that posts on any of these threads, yet I am a faster swimmer than 95% of triathletes out there at this point. The swimmer threads turn into a similar scenario as the dick swinging FTP threads.

As it is, masters swim races are like FTP dick swinging threads if you just look at the times on the board. Everyone is fast and any adult onset swimmer will pretty well show up and finish nearly last because most masters meets have almost zero slow swimmers like a 10K race or a marathon does. So you either do them because you're a really good swimmer or you do them because you are OK being nearly last and just trying to improve your "nearly last place" finish time.

Fortunately, I don't care about finishing last, and I am motivated by improving whatever times I can.

So it would be good if you can set this up in some way to encourage people to improve, not about who is fastest on the thread. If not, you'll have the same 5-6 people posting their fast times and then me posting my slow times. There has to be a way to get more people involved and trying all this stuff, because its really quite enjoyable, but most triathletes just don't want to try anything other than what they will do in races (and I have moral high ground, because I speed skated and XC skied as my primary sports for 3-5 months per year even though I would not be doing that in my triathlons...it was great cross training and my cardio was always better....somewhat like training for IM. I was able to hop back into triathlon for the first time in 4 years and at the top of my age group got local podiums in all my races. It was all from the cardio and core work from IM swimming for 4 years because I was barely doing any proper riding or running other than tests in the gym to see if I could do the sports...I'd get going sporadically and then regress.

In any case, I think many triathletes would benefit from trying the things all you fishes do....there is a reason Frodo, Lucy, Brownlee etc etc do so well in tris with their swim backgrounds.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, this is quite simply a straight copy of what swimming Canada is doing this month. I didnā€™t suggest it to grow the sport, or encourage new people, or any of that shit. Those are fine goals, but thatā€™s not what this is. This just came about because I saw it, said ā€œhey that looks like funā€ and thought it would be a fun way to have some fun with our friends (and I consider all of you my friends, even though weā€™ve never met), and maybe engage in a bit of fun smacktalk. (Iā€™ve gotta figure out how to take Monty down...)

What youā€™re after is a participation challenge, like you did with the 100/100 way back when. Thatā€™s awesome, set it up if you want that. Thereā€™s not much point in me participating in those types of challenges given the current limits I have on my time, and if Iā€™m not going to participate then I donā€™t want to be the one setting it up.

If itā€™s about improvement, that also leaves a lot of people who would be considered as ā€œbetterā€ swimmers out too. Thereā€™s not a lot of improvement that Iā€™m going to be able to get, or Monty, or a number of others, without putting in way more hours in the pool than we have available.

In short, itā€™s just for fun, for whomever thinks that such a thing would be fun. No more, no less.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Dev, this is quite simply a straight copy of what swimming Canada is doing this month. I didnā€™t suggest it to grow the sport, or encourage new people, or any of that shit. Those are fine goals, but thatā€™s not what this is. This just came about because I saw it, said ā€œhey that looks like funā€ and thought it would be a fun way to have some fun with our friends (and I consider all of you my friends, even though weā€™ve never met), and maybe engage in a bit of fun smacktalk. (Iā€™ve gotta figure out how to take Monty down...)

What youā€™re after is a participation challenge, like you did with the 100/100 way back when. Thatā€™s awesome, set it up if you want that. Thereā€™s not much point in me participating in those types of challenges given the current limits I have on my time, and if Iā€™m not going to participate then I donā€™t want to be the one setting it up.

If itā€™s about improvement, that also leaves a lot of people who would be considered as ā€œbetterā€ swimmers out too. Thereā€™s not a lot of improvement that Iā€™m going to be able to get, or Monty, or a number of others, without putting in way more hours in the pool than we have available.

In short, itā€™s just for fun, for whomever thinks that such a thing would be fun. No more, no less.

Hey I think you're over reacting. What I am pointing out is that maybe there is a way to design some of these to get more people involved, that's all. If you want to have stuff for 5-6 fast swimmers and me (or a few random slow swimmers) then I'll do that too. I'm just pointing out that we're on a triathlon forum and you might actually spread things designing something that might draw more people in.

Right now, some random triathlete opens it and sees, "oh a bunch of swimmers talking about 2:10 200IM's...well I'll just close this thread and go back to talking about FTPs and the aeroness of latex tubes". When in reality if some if some of those random triathletes give swimming a go, they will improve at triathlon (especially during winter....all those hours wasted on the trainer are not acquiring any new skill for them).
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), just 7 more days to post your times up. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nah, not overreacting. (I wish there was a way to convey tone of voice in text besides overusing smileys, but I digress).

I'm just saying, I didn't post this for everyone to feel included. I posted it for people to accept as a friendly competition, if that's something that appeals. It's only a dick measuring contest in the sense that ANY competition is one. It's a competition. Someone is gonna be fastest, and someone else is gonna be slowest.

Now, I've already set it up so that it's a little like golf. Anyone 60+ gets a roughly 10% handicap (SCY --> SCM). If you want to suggest something where people can also hit from the white tees, then feel free. I don't know what that would look like though.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next