Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My son completed my entry for me:

Yesterday at practice 4 x (2 x 25's drill 50 swim) IM order

:39
:38
:49
:35
2:42 or so when you add in the tenths.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday at practice 4 x (2 x 25's drill 50 swim) IM order

:39
:38
:49
:35
2:42 or so when you add in the tenths. ///

So the meet has begun, but please everyone post the format you swam, SCY, SCM, LCM.. And your age and sex, or if that is too personal your AG..And describe how you did it too, lets give this thing some flavor. My plan now is to chip away at individual 50's, now that I have put up some numbers. No swim today though, maybe a little over zealous yesterday...
Last edited by: monty: Oct 10, 19 16:09
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some personal stuff came up so I had to skip practice. I might be able to skip out at lunch tomorrow, otherwise it won’t be until next week

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I am in. I have two swim meets in November so this will force me to work on my 50 times in all strokes. I'll do the 50 fly from push off as I will get booted out of my pool if I dive. I'll have some times for you next week. I'd like to see if I can do 40, 45, 53, 37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SO after doing most of my measly workout, I found the lifeguard and gave him my watch. Figured I might be good for one 50 fly, off the blocks, at 100% effort!

10x100s@1;35(1;25 to 1;22 descend)
5x100IM kick@2;00(1;51 to 1;48 descend)
4x50buoy@50(40/39's)
50 fly off the blocks, 30.36. 50 easy
5x100p@1;30(1;18 to 1;13 descend)
100s/100 dolphin(1;59)
2500SCY

So my virtual 200im is now, 30.36/38.5/39.5/31====2;19.36. Have at it Jason!!! 2;34+ converted to SCM
Last edited by: monty: Oct 16, 19 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok I swam for the first time since a race on Sept 22nd - typical unpleasantness after some time off. To set a benchmark for myself I did a 50 fast of each stroke as part of a set of 4 x (3x50 steady, 50 fast, 50 ez) and got times of 35, 41, 42 and 31.

2:29 SCM for the virtual IM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
SO after doing most of my measly workout, I found the lifeguard and gave him my watch. Figured I might be good for one 50 fly, off the blocks, at 100% effort!

10x100s@1;35(1;25 to 1;22 descend)
5x100IM kick@2;00(1;51 to 1;48 descend)
4x50buoy@50(40/39's)
50 fly off the blocks, 30.36. 50 easy
5x100p@1;30(1;18 to 1;13 descend)
100s/100 dolphin(1;59)
2500SCY

So my virtual 200im is now, 30.36/38.5/39.5/31====2;19.36. Have at it Jason!!!

I've rescheduled my attempt for Sunday evening. I might see if I can get it on video, and with those times I'm definitely suiting up! I won't be able to go off the blocks though, the deep end is unavailable :-(

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uh oh. Does this have to be done all in the same day??
I uhh, I did my 50Ya fly today from a dive.

3500 distance set yesterday ... solo. Ugh
Then IM workout this am of 4300 yards total.

One practice dive.

27.9 fly

I will do my back next time. (I freakin hate backstroke! I just cannot seem to turnover w it.)

Anyways. It has begun.

Daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I’m a 45 year old white male
Swimming in a 25 yard pool that is “bubbled” for the winter.

Ideally I’d be able to race 70+ but they make me stay in the 45-49 group.

Daved

Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
daved wrote:
Uh oh. Does this have to be done all in the same day??
I uhh, I did my 50Ya fly today from a dive.

3500 distance set yesterday ... solo. Ugh
Then IM workout this am of 4300 yards total.

One practice dive.

27.9 fly

I will do my back next time. (I freakin hate backstroke! I just cannot seem to turnover w it.)

Anyways. It has begun.

Daved

nah, they can be done separate days, however you want. Monty's current time has back, breast, free from one session and fly from a different day. I'm gonna do them all same day, then I might do a top-up of whatever I think is weakest.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought so..

cool

ill need the time off in between to gather myself.

I was happy w 27.9
coach said it was 27.5 but my finish was about as awful as they come! Ha. But pshhht whatevs coach! I have not gone off the block in like 2 years... so maybe your coaching game is off coach! whattya think about that???

currently psyching up for the back... oy that stroke..

daved

Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [daved] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So converted, you're at 30.9 with the dive.

Just wondering, are we gonna put in a handicap factor for those of us who won't be able to go from a dive? Or just tough luck?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Come on man, all of us are regulars at our pools. There is no diving at my pool too, but I cajoled the lifeguard to let me do this one off, told him it was for a kind of lifeguard competition. Dont know what a dive is worth, different for abilities for sure. Maybe .7 or a second? I imagine some pros with great underwater to the limit line, dont lose too much. I have to think I get at least a second, and would not be against some handicap.

Man, that 40 to 44 and 45- 49 age groups here is going to be a tough ones, think Bo, Adrian, and SH are both in it too. No cakewalks!! I need Ken to come out of retirement and put up his 27+ free to shoot for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nah, that's not it. On Sunday, when I'm gonna be doing this at the pool, the diving club (or maybe it's synchro?) is using the deep end where the blocks are. I won't be able to use them even if the lifeguard said it would be ok.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Oct 16, 19 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tried again, went 1 sec slower on fly and breaststroke, and the same on the other two..
still at 2:37 scy, 2:54 scm, with no dive, age 59..

my son has great pullouts on breaststroke, tried to do better on mine and went a second slower.. pfui.

I do notice the rest of my workout after 4x50 race pace efforts, is noticeably harder than usual.
So there might even be a training effect, ha.

now for 2 weeks in S. Africa with no pool, then will be in Aus with a 50m pool.. can get some lcm times at sea level, 3:01 is lcm converted of current times. So there's a nice neat target..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not allowed to go off the blocks either but I can go off the side so I'll probably do that when I want to really go for a good time. Not quite as good as blocks but better than a push.
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good block start is easily worth 1.5 seconds or more compared to a push off. You only gotta go off the blocks once, so....just sneak up there and do it at the end of your workout. When the lifeguard comes to chew you out, plead ignorance and tell them you were leaving anyway. ;)

Looked at my Strava profile when this challenge was announced. My 4-week average # swims/wk was 1, average yardage/wk under 2k. I'll be trying to get a little swim fitness back and doing this near the end of the month.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
I'm not allowed to go off the blocks either but I can go off the side so I'll probably do that when I want to really go for a good time. Not quite as good as blocks but better than a push.

Hey I am going to be at Charlottetown tomorrow and planning to swim at lunch at the Aliant Center....can we rope you into a celeb appearance? I'll even flounder around and do my pathetic times for this challenge and post some numbers now and again on Oct 31st.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

Hey I am going to be at Charlottetown tomorrow and planning to swim at lunch at the Aliant Center....can we rope you into a celeb appearance? I'll even flounder around and do my pathetic times for this challenge and post some numbers now and again on Oct 31st.

Dev

Hey Dev, any other day and I would for sure but Thursdays don't work for a lunch swim for me at all. I have a team meeting from 10:30 to 12 (that never ends at 12) and then another meeting at 1:00 so no chance to get to the pool. Are you only here for the day? I'll be at the pool bright and early at 5:30am tomorrow. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok Jason, you better hurry up, I chipped away a tiny bit again today in the backstroke. Did a much harder workout for me than usual, even did a 1000p tt at about 90% in 12;21, best in awhile. But the highlight was crushing my back time, lifeguard timed me in 35.87. I will have to look, but that is not that far off what I did in a pentathlon meet last year. Caveat being, I cannot do a back stroke start anyway, so push off is all I got, meet or no meet.. So here is my time up to date;

30.36/35.87/39.5/31. now for a total time of ; 2;16.73. converted to SCM- 2;31.17

I think I may have a shot at sub 2;30 for meters before this is all done..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha!! You’ve had like 5 attempts at this thing since the last time I was even in the pool! Life happened last week, then camping over the weekend so no swim on Sunday, pool closed Monday. I’m swimming tonight, maybe I can get a couple of 50’s out of the way after practice.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would rather have gone camping too. Take your time, except in the actual 50's of course!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried to get in a couple legs at the end my swim workout this afternoon. Went 40.16 for breast stroke (scy), took a short rest, then attempted a 50 back. Bad idea. My calves cramped liked a mofo on the 2nd 25. I don't do much backstroke when I'm swimming regularly, and I haven't really been swimming regularly lately. Ran and did some VO2max work on the bike this morning, too. Cramping was almost inevitable. I'll have to try the 50 back ahead of the main set sometime next week, on a day when the morning bike workout is a little less intense.

Team practice next Sunday will be a chance to go off the blocks for fly. Once I have the strokes in the bag, I knock out the free leg.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Dev, Monty (and the rest of you fools), who wants in on this action? [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zenmaster28 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Zenmaster28 wrote:

Dev

Hey Dev, any other day and I would for sure but Thursdays don't work for a lunch swim for me at all. I have a team meeting from 10:30 to 12 (that never ends at 12) and then another meeting at 1:00 so no chance to get to the pool. Are you only here for the day? I'll be at the pool bright and early at 5:30am tomorrow. :)

Hey I beat that crazy storm out of Charlottetown....meetings all morning, then swim at the Bell Aliant pool (was really nice) and then hit subway and to the airport crossing our fingers that the 90 kph winds would calm down enough for the aircraft that we had to take out of there to land and take off.

I did not try my four 50's yet.

My main set was

• 6x100m (25 fly, 25 free, 25 dolphin, 25 free)
  • 400m as 50 fly 50 free hard times four
  • 6x100 IM hard
  • 1x400IM easy ( fly and back were with pull bouy)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jason - this looks like fun. I will do this Monday morning for fun workout. It will be good to see if I can go as fast as I think I can go? I will do it all in the same session
My prediction is: 35 for the fly, 40 for the back (hate that stroke), 40 for the breast, and 31 for the free = 2:26 - do we get to use dive starts?
Michael Hay
52 - Guelph, Ontario

Michael Hay - helped on the journey by the great folks at ZiZU Optics, (for the custom fit), and Bialkowlski's TRYSPORT
Quote Reply

Prev Next