Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lap vs. Length........DING [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New goal for the day -- I will use the term 'asshat' in one of my meetings at work today. I better do a lap, uh - length around the floor to figure out how & when
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........DING [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyfac06 wrote:
New goal for the day -- I will use the term 'asshat' in one of my meetings at work today. I better do a lap, uh - length around the floor to figure out how & when

Asshat is a magnificent term, and has been one of my favorites for quite some time. Sadly, I have plenty of opportunities to use it.

;-)

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........DING [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking it might replace "jackwipe" (jackass + asswipe)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
as a swimmer lengths mean something... I have never heard a swimmer or a swim coach use the word LAP. Don't try and confuse the world.. a lap is two lengths.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
I have to give you props for being one of the most rationally-thinking people on here.

I applaud your work in seeking clarification in the lap vs. length debate.

Thanks. I get the feeling you are a bit mental? :)

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........DING [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
This is the funniest post I've ever read on ST. The use of the phrase "seminal authority on swimming jargon" is the pies de resistance.

My wife is the worst when it comes to the English language. In fact I have set up a blog dedicated to her verbal errors (claireisms.tumblr.com) so, don't take this as abuse, I know someone else pointed out a grammatical error.

I love the fact that you have invented the Pies of Resistance. Do they have particularly formidable crusts?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Asshat is a magnificent term, and has been one of my favorites for quite some time. Sadly, I have plenty of opportunities to use it.

Is it short for "as I shat"? It couldn't be a hat on your ass. Who wears a hat on their ass?

I considered adding "asshat" to my signature, after being called out as such, but ZackC is not even close to worthy.

I'm thinking this entire thread is an elaborate troll. Does someone really care that much about proper "swimming jargon"?

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........DING [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your catching on...

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
It couldn't be a hat on your ass. Who wears a hat on their ass?

It's not a hat on your ass, it's an ass for a hat. You see, it's like you've got your head up your ass so your ass looks like a hat. On second thought, if your head was up your ass, your ass would look like a head. Asshead doesn't sound as cool. Dickhead, that works. Dickhat, not sure. Assdick is silly.
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........DING [Goosedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
Assdick is silly.

Some people are so homophobic.

Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........................DING [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtremrun wrote:
I have always understood a Lap to be down and back (50 yds.). A length is 25 yds. So we will continue to use that thank you anyway.

+1

I started swimming competitively around the time I learned to ride a bike and continued until I could grow lambchops.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goosedog wrote:
Duffy wrote:
It couldn't be a hat on your ass. Who wears a hat on their ass?

It's not a hat on your ass, it's an ass for a hat. You see, it's like you've got your head up your ass so your ass looks like a hat. On second thought, if your head was up your ass, your ass would look like a head. Asshead doesn't sound as cool. Dickhead, that works. Dickhat, not sure. Assdick is silly.

But if someone else calls me an asshat wouldn't that imply it is their head in my ass? Sort of like he is kissing my ass? I suppose I can take it as a compliment, of sorts.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Quote:

Is it short for "as I shat"? It couldn't be a hat on your ass. Who wears a hat on their ass?

I considered adding "asshat" to my signature, after being called out as such, but ZackC is not even close to worthy.

I'm thinking this entire thread is an elaborate troll. Does someone really care that much about proper "swimming jargon"?

As noted by Goosedog, it implies wearing an ass for a hat...i.e. your head is up your ass.

Personally, I like this depiction, although not entirely accurate. ;-)

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
back to the thread ..

.. is that a lap dog or a length dog?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jaymz wrote:
back to the thread ..

Ask the cat!!

Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........................DING [doTheRunningMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a lap in everything else is one circuit ---> you are correct, one circuit is from one end of the pool to the other end! :)

Correct terminology is: A lap is down and back, a length is from one end to the other.

Those that grew up swimming. Back in the days when the starter actually spoke words (they don't anymore), before a distance race they would say something like this..."a gun will be fired when the lead swimmer has 2 lengths plus 5 yds/mtrs remaining".

That meant either had 55 yds/mtrs left, or 105 mtrs left in the race depending on the course.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jaymz wrote:
Goosedog wrote:
Assdick is silly.

Some people are so homophobic.

Whoa now. I didn't say anything about homosexuals, not that there's anything wrong with that. I submit that people across the sexual orientation spectrum can enjoy assdick, if done properly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...and triathletes do "bricks", which everyone knows means consecutively performing at least 2 of the 3 disciplines represented by triathlon races, in the order that they occur in a "traditional" triathlon, during a single training event, though it could refer to doing all 3 disciplines in order, unless done in an actual race, then its called a triathlon or a duathlon. If they aren't done in race order they may or may-not be referred to as a brick, for example, a bike-run is a brick, but a run-bike may be referred to as a run-bike, or a brick. Some combinations might not be labelled a brick, such as run-swim, even though this would be the correct order in a circular triathlon using the right-hand rule. However, if you did a run-swim-run, it would probably be called a brick, even though it is no longer in triathlon order. If you call this a brick, I might label you an asshat, but not an assdick since words combined from two body parts might be, but not always are, construed as having a sexual conetation.

English - its what we argue about at dinner.

------------------------------------------------------------
some days you're the windshield some days the bug
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Can we say, for the sake of eliminating confusion, that the word "lap" is interchangeable with "length" for the purposes of defining swimming distances (at least here in the US)?

Yes, but only here in the US. You know, where it is perfectly acceptable to say, "Don't swim too many laps, you might drowned"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mission accomplished!

Luckily there was a call about a recent internal corporate audit today (without the auditors present) - no shortage of opportunities to work it in..
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........DING [unclerock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unclerock wrote:
...and triathletes do "bricks", which everyone knows means consecutively performing at least 2 of the 3 disciplines represented by triathlon races, in the order that they occur in a "traditional" triathlon, during a single training event, though it could refer to doing all 3 disciplines in order, unless done in an actual race, then its called a triathlon or a duathlon. If they aren't done in race order they may or may-not be referred to as a brick, for example, a bike-run is a brick, but a run-bike may be referred to as a run-bike, or a brick. Some combinations might not be labelled a brick, such as run-swim, even though this would be the correct order in a circular triathlon using the right-hand rule. However, if you did a run-swim-run, it would probably be called a brick, even though it is no longer in triathlon order. If you call this a brick, I might label you an asshat, but not an assdick since words combined from two body parts might be, but not always are, construed as having a sexual conetation.

English - its what we argue about at dinner.

"Brick" is the mashing together of the words "bike" and "run". Bike+Run=Brik. The C was added later. If you run first, then bike it's a "ruke" or "rike". If you swim, then bike it's a "swike". Bike then swim = "bim". Swim then bike then run is, as we all know, a "triathlon". Run then swim is a "rim". These are never to be done because of the sexual connotation.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
Run then swim is a "rim". These are never to be done because of the sexual connotation.

That's bad news, even if done properly.
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........DING [cyfac06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyfac06 wrote:
Mission accomplished!

Luckily there was a call about a recent internal corporate audit today (without the auditors present) - no shortage of opportunities to work it in..

Outstanding. I hope you gained the well-earned respect of your peers when you used the term!!

;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........DING [Power13] - NEW [In reply to] Quote | Reply

back to the thread ..

I think this is a good point for some more seminal jargon. : )

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sadly, I think it may be a 'one & done' situation... hopefully not an outright CLM
Quote Reply

Prev Next