Prev Next
Re: Lap vs. Length........................DING [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swim 22 meter widths at my pool..

No wonder I'm not improving.
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........................DING [txirishpolock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You feel dumb??? Imagine if you were a swimmer!
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........................DING [jimruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I swim 22 meter widths at my pool..

No wonder I'm not improving.

LOL. Actually, in a 25 y x 25 m pool like my school's, I swim 25 yd widths too.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........................DING [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arguing the point on this topic is fairly useless as, depending on your background, it will have different, yet correct, answers.

Another good example is geographic. How many continents are there? Five? Seven? Nine? Depending on where you live, or were educated, this number will be different.

Interestingly the French for both 'lap' (with reference to distance) and 'length' is 'longeur' I think. Do any of us call it a Longeur? Most will not because their background is different.

As a side note, the French are never right.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........................DING [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RockyMtnChic wrote:
Agreed. Also, when swimming long distances, a "lap" counter is used - and a 500 yard free is 20 "laps". Otherwise it would be length counter and it's not.

You have a counter at each end of the pool or just one?
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........................DING [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
My dad always tried to correct me in the 'proper' use of lap (one round-trip) when I used in in a swimming context (2 laps = a 50)... I tried to explain to him that all the swimmers know what we mean, and if he's confused it just shows that he's not a swimmer. None of us swimmers have any trouble making the switch to counting full-circuit laps when we go to a track. It's just idiomatic, like other bits of jargon that are used peculiarly in a specific context.

I'll give you one practical bit of distinction that might resonate for a non-swimmer... if you count laps like a swimmer, then odds are always facing one way and evens returning the opposite direction so if you start to get fuzzy it's usually easier to catch it and correct it before you're off by 2, whereas if you count laps like a runner it's a lot easier to lose count when doing, say, 400s or longer... e.g., if you catch yourself coming off the turn at the shallow (starting) end and the count in your head is on 12, then you know right away you forgot to advance the count to 13 since 12 has to be facing the other way, whereas if you were counting by 'runners' laps and you start to doubt yourself on lap 6 you could be wrong for the whole lap and there's no way of catching it because it's the same in both directions.

The flipturns wisecrack is very telling... I don't know anyone who does flipturns (worth a crap at least) who still insists on counting laps like a non-swimmer. Maybe the non-swimmers should worry about that instead so they can pass the 'club' test instead of trying to convince swimmers our jargon is improper.

So are you suggesting that using the term lap as equal to a length somehow makes you a better swimmer? I'm going to go on a stretch and say you're wrong.

Are you also going to tell us coconuts migrate?
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........DING [ZackC.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are wrong.

A lap (in any endever) must finish where it started.

Anyone who doesn't know this to be true is wrong. Absolutely 100% wrong.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........................DING [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
a stroke is "1" arm pull and not "2"

Haha I do take 11 of "your pulls" per lap. It's not that hard when you streamline for like 40% of the lap anyway.
That is a much less contentious issue, but I agree that a stroke is one arm.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........DING [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good share asshat.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........................DING [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I think the problem, small though it is, stems from the use of a pre-defined word to describe something similar yet different. Almost a colloquialism, where the word is used in everyday speech but not correct in it's formal state.
The term lap comes from Old English 'lappen', refering to a piece of cloth that doubles back on itself, such as a lapel for example . This doubling back would also insinuate that a lap should be a return to source rather than just one way. The word lap, in English language, is used to describe a circuit. This would also include the out and back in a pool length. (Your own physical 'lap' is effectively where clothing - robes skirts etc, overlaps - hence the name lap)

However, the terminology has been taken and altered with regards to swimming, the Olympic Rules dictating that a lap is a single length of the pool.

Bearing in mind the generally accepted habit of altering the definition of words in the English language to use in a niche setting (i.e. Swimming) then I think the correct term should be 'Lap' for a single length of the pool.

Lap is not the correct term when looking at the English language but it is the correct term for it's niche role in relation to swimming when using the Olympic Rulebook as a standard. If you are using other standards then I guess that meaning applies.

As you can probably tell I looked up some of this, not previously being an expert in the word 'lap'.

BRILLIANT work here sir. I don't know how I didn't think to look at the Olympic/FINA rules, but if that doesn't say it, I don't know what will. In the sport of swimming, the word is "lap" and the distance is across the pool, not down and back--handed down from the organizers themselves. If you could add a link or something substantiating your claim (not that I don't believe you) that would be most excellent indeed.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
Good share asshat.

I may be an asshat (whatever that is) but a lap is a lap. There AND back. Lap.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never heard a starter specify that any race was anything other than a certain length in yd or m. At least, I've never heard a USA Swimming meet official, starter or otherwise, specify the race distance in lengths or laps--perhaps it was a non-USA Swimming trained/paid starter?

I run the occasional summer league meet whenever one of our year-rounder's parents isn't available, and I always just say something along the lines of..."The next event will be the boys open 50m freestyle. Swimmers on the blocks....."

I would agree that "lengths" is less ambiguous to those who did not grow up swimming in the USA, but where I'm from the term "lap" is very unambiguous.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I've told several of the other idiots that did what you did, this isn't a poll, it's a discussion. Please don't go posting your opinion as fact.

Either post something thoughtful, or piss off.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........................DING [txirishpolock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about the unintelligible response to your post. I was using the speech to text feature on my phone, and it failed hard.

Colloquially, lap is the correct term for one length where I'm from. For more reasons than one, and particularly where I'm from, I'm not teaching them wrong, nor are any of the amazing swimming programs we have here in Charlotte. Swim MAC, the team based out of the pool that I train at, routinely turns out D1 caliber swimmers. Team Elite, which consists of current and future Olympic caliber athletes also uses the same convention. Oh, and as Jaymz pointed out, the rules governing the Olympic swimming competitions also use lap in the sense that it is equal to one length.

I feel "dumberer" for having read many of the posts like yours that present one's opinion as fact, and provide no justification.

Ding.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........................DING [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's right. Where I'm from, legit (lifelong, competitive) swimmers use the lap=length convention, whereas the only people I've ever heard the lap=down and back are converts and are usually not very good. There's a correlation, but not necessarily a causation.

But that's not really relevant, except that the convention in the sport is what we should default to when using the word in the context of the sport. In Bowling, a strike is knocking down all the pins. In Baseball, a strike is a swing and a miss, or failing to swing at a ball in the strike zone, or hitting the ball foul (except when this would result in a third strike, in which case it doesn't count against the batter).

I think it would be ridiculous to try to tell a bowler that a "strike" would be the equivalent of missing all the pins, or throwing a gutterball, and that's analogous to the issue here. Non-swimmers are trying to tell swimmers how to use a word that is ours, in this case. When the word is used in the context of swimming, I'm the one that assigns meaning to it, along with all of my legit swimmer friends. We choose to assign the meaning of lap=length, therefore that is the accepted convention for the sport by all who are legitimate swimmers.

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I first started swimming, my team trained in the pool at a retirement home. The pool was 20yd long. When we swam 100's we did 5 laps. We also did 60's and 80's instead of 50's and 75's. That was really freakin weird at first, but I got used to it. We were a small team training in a crappy pool, but we turned out a couple D1 caliber swimmers nonetheless. Brings back fond memories...

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:
As I've told several of the other idiots that did what you did, this isn't a poll, it's a discussion. Please don't go posting your opinion as fact.

Sorry. I forgot about the meritless arrogance of some long time "competitive swimmers". Off I shall piss.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Sep 13, 11 19:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 It's always unpleasant when a lap swimming Zack crosses path with a length swimming Zack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZackC. wrote:

If it is a discussion, then why are you dismissing people who you do not consider 'swimmers'. Again, I do not think swimming experience has any merit in the discussion of a words syntax. If Ryan Lochte or Michael Phelps used the word 'lap' in the non swimmer term, they would not be any slower. Personally, using lap as 2 lengths is easier to track but in Masters I know what they are referring to. Honestly your posts seem slightly inflammatory towards new swimmers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't sweat it if people use 'lap' or 'length' interchangebly or if 'lap' is used to represent 2 lengths because swim sets are usually given in distance and I can figure out what they mean.

If someone says 'I just swam 50 laps' ... that usually has to be followed with the question 'How many yards (or meters) did you swim?' Because someone may mean 50 lengths whereas someone else may mean 100 lengths.

Interestingly, USA Swimming Rules & Regs define 'length' but not 'lap':

http://www.usaswimming.org/...11%20Rule%20Book.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........DING [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
furiousferret wrote:
ZackC. wrote:

If it is a discussion, then why are you dismissing people who you do not consider 'swimmers'. Again, I do not think swimming experience has any merit in the discussion of a words syntax. If Ryan Lochte or Michael Phelps used the word 'lap' in the non swimmer term, they would not be any slower. Personally, using lap as 2 lengths is easier to track but in Masters I know what they are referring to. Honestly your posts seem slightly inflammatory towards new swimmers.

...and he has no idea of my swimming ability or background. Also he requests (no, demands) that I "post something thoughtful" after calling me an "asshat" (whatever that is) and an idiot.

This guy must be super awesome.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USA Swimming definition of "Lap Counter"

Lap Counter
The large numbered cards (or the person turning the cards) used during the freestyle events 500 yards or longer. Counting is done from the end opposite the starting end. The numbers on the cards are "odd numbers" only with the final lap being designated by a bright orange card.

Therefore, when a swimmer leaves the blocks, at the end of the 1st LENGTH the LAP counter will read 1. At the end of the 3rd LENGTH, the LAP counter will read 3. 1 LAP = 1 LENGTH. These are the undisputed facts of the case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to the Olympic Committee a lap is a single length of the pool.

Check out the glossary terms on the bottom right of THIS screen, hit 'L' to see the lap definition.

However ...

... as I mentioned before. This is just the Olympic definition. It is not THE definition. There is no right and wrong answer to this question, just individual views based on local and historical variances on the theme. That said, the Olympic definition would seem to be the one to look for when dealing 'across the board' a bit like English being the international language.

If you are desperate for a baseline then 'Lap' would seem to be one length. The people who think otherwise are not necessarily wrong though.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lap vs. Length........................DING [furiousferret] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
furiousferret wrote:
OneGoodLeg wrote:
...blh blah blah...
The flipturns wisecrack is very telling... I don't know anyone who does flipturns (worth a crap at least) who still insists on counting laps like a non-swimmer. Maybe the non-swimmers should worry about that instead so they can pass the 'club' test instead of trying to convince swimmers our jargon is improper.

So are you suggesting that using the term lap as equal to a length somehow makes you a better swimmer? I'm going to go on a stretch and say you're wrong.

Are you also going to tell us coconuts migrate?

I'm certainly not suggesting it makes ME a better swimmer, only that in my observation of swimming regularly from middle school through college in both competitive swim-only and multisports contexts that bucking this particular verbal convention (as practiced in all competitive swimming communities I've ever been a part of) was/is a pretty reliable indicator that the 'offender' did not grow up as a swimmer and therefore was quite likely to be [gross generalization alert] not very fast and poor at flip turns.

As for coconuts... "The swallow or housemarten may fly south to seek warmer climes in winter, yet these are not strangers to our lands..." (sorry if I buggered that one; I only went off the top of my head).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
You are wrong.

A lap (in any endever) must finish where it started.

You are wrong.

It's 'endeavor' (or 'endeavour' for our British friends).

Quote Reply

Prev Next