Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lance accepts lifetime ban - See ya [ImNoMDot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ImNoMDot wrote:
Lance can't be stripped of his titles. He won them already, doped or not. He crushed a field of doped up riders and I don't give a flying f*ck if he used epo or not.
Lance ruled and still does. He most likely would have won Kona this year and you all know it. He should just do the course the day after on his own with some cameras and prove that he'd have won it. That's what he should do and make a f*cking movie of it.

Like when the NCAA stripped USC of its national championship, nobody really cared. Moments passed , tickets were sold, money has been made. I don't care about these titles so much as that hes not allowed to compete in the Ironman. Like if the NCAA told USC they couldn't play football again they'd probably riot in the streets of LA.

EDIT: Ref to 2004 title
Last edited by: CP78: Aug 24, 12 11:16
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater banned from sport for cheating [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
gabbiev wrote:
LAA1125 wrote:
Well said. By the way, how do we know that LeMond didn't dope? For example, look at the 1990 TdF results:

1 Greg LeMond (USA)Z90h 43' 20"2 Claudio Chiappucci (ITA)Carrera Jeans-Vagabond+2' 16"3 Erik Breukink (NED)PDM+2' 29"4 Pedro Delgado (ESP)Banesto+5' 01"5 Marino Lejarreta (ESP)ONCE+5' 05"6 Eduardo Chozas (ESP)ONCE+9' 14"7 Gianni Bugno (ITA)Chateau d'Ax+9' 39"8 Raúl Alcalá (MEX)PDM+11' 14"9 Claude Criquielion (BEL)Lotto-Superclub+12' 04"10 Miguel Indurain (ESP)Banesto+12' 47"

If LeMond didn't dope, he then beat several riders who were at least linked to doping allegations, i.e. Chiappucci (came from nowhere to be a star), Breukink (remember the 1991 TdF), Delgado (positive). This was one the arguments that many people used against Lance Armstrong to support that he used PEDs. Also, in 1989 he beat Fignon (who later admitted to doping) and Delgado.

A VO2 in the 90s certainly has nothing to do with it. Seriously, doping changed radically in the early nineties, and we're talking about very different returns on pharmaceuticals . Not the same argument; nor has anyone to my knowledge suspect Lemond of condoning a team-wide medical program. Seriously, learn more about Lemond and his performances before going on in this direction.

A few points....

First, the notion that "doping changed radically" in the 90's is not exactly true. Everyone zeros in on EPO, but blood doping (also known as blood packing or blood boosting) has been around for a long time. Just about the entire 1984 US Olympic cycling team admitted to blood packing, which at the time was legal. I wouldn't be at all surprised if folks in the pro peloton were doing the same thing at the time. EPO made it easier boost red blood cells without resorting to withdrawing, storing, and then reinjecting one's own blood, but homologous blood doping made a come back after a test for EPO was found.

Second, when Lemond started going backwards in 1991 and afterwards, he blamed all manner of illnesses for his problems. Now, he says that everyone was on EPO; that's why everybody was beating him the mountains. That immediately raises the question in my mind...was he lying then about being ill, or did he suspect doping in the peleton? If he suspected doping, why didn't he speak up then? I find this discrepancy to be a bit troubling about Mr. Lemond.

Lastly, and this I have never understood...EPO in the peloton is widely believed to have become widespread in the early '90s...why is it that nobody is calling for an investigation into Indurain?

Spot

I actually forgot about Grewal's admission. Do you remember the old show Running and Racing on ESPN? I swear I remember that they had a episode about blood packing and it was something like a "how to do it." I could be very wrong but this triggered a memory about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater banned from sport for cheating [LAA1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAA1125 wrote:
I followed cycling since the mid-80's, so I have an understanding of LeMond's performances. I also have a signed copy of his book after he won the 1986 tour. I think the comparison of LeMond beating riders who doped to Armstrong also beating dopers as evidence of doping is a fair comparison. But considering the era, I will agree that it's not apples to apples comparison.

The problem is that the same people that say the Lance can't be clean if he beat dopers don't want to hear the same said about Lemond.

I buy into your argument. If it looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, it's likely a duck.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Lance accepts lifetime ban - See ya [Philb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Philb wrote:
He is a doper, who cares what he could have done in Kona. I'm sure the 'what he could have done' will always be better than the reality would have been.

That's why he should go out and race the course DIY the very next day. Everybody calls him a doper and there is not one shred of evidence other than testimony from proven dopers and losers. I don't know anything about LA other than I enjoy watching him race and like the fact that he's a survivor. Just the fact that he overcame cancer and went on to to have an epic career has done more for the sport than probably anyone else in recent history. He's inspirational, he's American, he's a bad mofo athlete and the French hate him. Reason enough to support him. :)
Last edited by: ImNoMDot: Aug 24, 12 11:19
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater banned from sport for cheating [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:

Paragraph three: Armstrong significantly profited by not only his victories, but by his remarkable backstory. He traded on his celebrity, which was based on a carefully controlled image. Indurain did not.

So Indurain doping is ok because he didn't build a foundation based on it?

You can dope, just don't profit from it. Yeah, that's the real issue here, Lance had the nerve to make some bucks from his fame.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Paragraph three: Armstrong significantly profited by not only his victories, but by his remarkable backstory. He traded on his celebrity, which was based on a carefully controlled image. Indurain did not.[/quote]
I really don't mean to keep hammering on LeMond but he also profitted from his success from 1989 tour. Does anyone remember

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obAAf37gpsw
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Paragraph one: Yes, blood doping, and there is a good likelihood that it began with the Finns in the 70s; I agree that EPO made it easier (and the technique available to many, many more riders).

Also, blood doping was not illegal in the 70's and early 80's. So you can't exactly say someone is cheating before the rules that would make them a cheater existed. Someday high altitude tents may be illegal. That doesn't mean athletes using them now are cheaters.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater banned from sport for cheating [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haven't had a chance to review all the pages of this post, does that lifetime ban likely extend to triathlon? do we know that to be certain? or are we waiting on some legal determination or WTC announcment on if he will be able to race WTC or other triathlon events.

John

Quote Reply
Re: Cheater banned from sport for cheating [jlafren42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
essentially it extends to all WADA based sports (basically all the olympic sports). WTC could break away from WADA, as I'm not really sure what the advantages/disadvantages for a private organization to be part of WADA, considering they are very very very unlikely to ever make olympics. But at this point, WADA is supported by USAT/WTC/IM and therefore no go on Lance racing in those certified races.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lance accepts lifetime ban - See ya [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Francois wrote:
If I need to do some search when dopers from Spain are busted on a regular basis and one just got stripped of a tour, then clearly Portugal isn't the biggest fish around.

Completely unsurprised that you know nothing of the doping history in Portugal and that you refuse to research it in order to not admit you are wrong about something.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance accepts lifetime ban - See ya [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Why don't you ask Lance why he wasted taxpayer money when he filed a suit in Federal court? Besides USADA is not a government agency.

Funded by the government and organizations that get government funding, same thing, wasting taxpayer money...

The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) is a non-profit organization funded by the US Government, sports organizations, and the national anti-doping organization (NADO) for the United States

Team Aquaphor 06-08
Quote Reply
Re: Lance accepts lifetime ban - See ya [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
ImNoMDot wrote:
Lance can't be stripped of his titles. He won them already, doped or not. He crushed a field of doped up riders and I don't give a flying f*ck if he used epo or not.
Lance ruled and still does. He most likely would have won Kona this year and you all know it. He should just do the course the day after on his own with some cameras and prove that he'd have won it. That's what he should do and make a f*cking movie of it.

Like when the NCAA stripped USC of its national championship, nobody really cared. Moments passed , tickets were sold, money has been made. I don't care about these titles so much as that hes not allowed to compete in the Ironman. Like if the NCAA told USC they couldn't play football again they'd probably riot in the streets of LA.

That's the thing. WTC is freaking stupid. Lance racing in Kona could more for the sport than anything. TV viewership would be up 500%. The sport would boom if Lance podiumed, or God forbid, won.

They are shortsighted morons. This Lance crusade is costing WTC and the sport of triathlon untold BILLIONS. Lance winning the the thing at 40+ years old could create a Chris Moneymaker effect for the sport of triathlon. I know it's already huge but Lance could blow it up to epic proportions. Worlds dummest financial move IMO.
Last edited by: ImNoMDot: Aug 24, 12 11:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy on the exaggerations of billions being made off of Lance racing in Kona. I'll grant you one thing, WTC and Lance are what are the biggest losers in Lance not racing Kona. I just doubt that somehow it transcends the sport itself. Could have been great money maker for WTC/Kona and Lance defintely.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lance accepts lifetime ban - See ya [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:
To be found guilty by an individual
Although Tygart is the face of USADA, I do not believe he is acting alone.

Quote:
acting for an agency that did not exist when he was racing
Not true. Even so, if USADA was created today, they would be responsible for overseeing cases for the last 8 years.

Quote:
very Professional association
Although not how you meant it, UCI has been far from very professional. Just so we're clear, that was intended as comic relief.

Quote:
Guilty on the say so of people who failed the very drug testing procedures that he did not
Please provide a list of who has given information to USADA. To my knowledge it has not been made public. You seem to be assuming Landis and Hamilton are the keys to USADA's case. Perhaps they are, perhaps they lead them to more credible witnesses, perhaps USADA is staying as far away from them as possible. If you have more information, please share.

Quote:
an agency that does not find it necessary to present it's evidence
Not that this is a court trial, but in a similar vein, the DA doesn't present all of the evidence when someone is indicted either. It's a process. Discovery is part of the process. Do you really believe Team LA doesn't have any clue what USADA is basing their accusation on?

Quote:
Murderers get a better process and a safer hearing
Perhaps, but to this point I think the processes are parallel. Investigation, accusation, response from the accused. LA had the choice of, essentially, pleading guilty, not guilty or no contest. The symbolic murderers you mention don't get to face their accusers before pleading either, much as some would like to believe. Whether arbitration is the best system for resolving this type of dispute is beyond my scope, but I'm learning a lot from this case.

Quote:
Is he guilty?, it no longer matters
You're probably right. The disciples won't be swayed by any facts that could come to light.

Quote Reply
Re: Lance accepts lifetime ban - See ya [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
Easy on the exaggerations of billions being made off of Lance racing in Kona. I'll grant you one thing, WTC and Lance are what are the biggest losers in Lance not racing Kona. I just doubt that somehow it transcends the sport itself. Could have been great money maker for WTC/Kona and Lance defintely.

There is a trickle down effect. Pehaps WTC doesn't lose billions, but thousand of retailers, small bike shops, local communities where events are hosted, plane tickets, rental cars, supplements, etc, etc. Hypothetically, If Lance brought in 100,000 more people into triathlon that could easily translate into billions over the span of a few years. His participation would boost popularity in all three sports. It's not far fetched at all when you think about it.
Last edited by: ImNoMDot: Aug 24, 12 11:44
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater banned from sport for cheating [chainpin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chainpin wrote:
Lances dog tugboat must be crying in heaven.

Tugboat was a mule for The whole team.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No doubt about it, this decision hurts everyone other than USADA. Wannabe Elliot Ness at any cost. Lance's fair trial/hearing opportunity went out the door a long time ago. Everyone has their breaking point, he simply reached his. I say good for him. He is a champion who dominated and did great things for the sport of cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance accepts lifetime ban - See ya [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CP78 wrote:
ImNoMDot wrote:

Um. Kind of like when they were banned from post season play.
Quote Reply
Re: Cheater banned from sport for cheating [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
essentially it extends to all WADA based sports (basically all the olympic sports). WTC could break away from WADA, as I'm not really sure what the advantages/disadvantages for a private organization to be part of WADA, considering they are very very very unlikely to ever make olympics. But at this point, WADA is supported by USAT/WTC/IM and therefore no go on Lance racing in those certified races.

so what type of racing will he do in the future. he has been doing quite a bit of mountain biking and trail running. I cannot imagine he will not do some sort of "racing" again.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance accepts lifetime ban - See ya [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
USC wasn't banned for life, just for 2 or 3 years postseason, and not regular season. That would be like Lance being able to race all Ironmans but Kona. This whole lifetime ban from all events is b.s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>Worlds dummest financial move IMO.

It's a very, very good thing that not all the world's decisions are financial.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance accepts lifetime ban - See ya [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This may have financial implications for the USA, but I don't think the rest of the world will care too much once the initial shock dies down.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance accepts lifetime ban - See ya [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Someday, I would love to know where everything changed for people making the decision to dope."

It didn't. Doping has been a part of cycling for most of its existence. Some people argue as if LA and co were driving the whole show. I say that's hopelessly naive. Some seem to forget that just a year before LA's first win we had the infamous Festina scandal exposing the exact same kind of organized team doping apparatus as that which Postal/Discovery are accused of running. And Manolo Saiz ran a fabulously successful, if ultimately doomed organized doping apparatus at his Kelme and Once teams. Rabbobank had at least oversight of their riders' doping, according to reports from former riders. None of the Riis/Ullrich saga(s) have uncovered the truth of organized doping at Telekom, but the same signs surround that program.

None of that makes LA, Bruyneel or Postal/Discovery any less guilty. But it sure points out that they aren't alpha or omega of the problem. And when you couple that with the alleged collusion to cover results by the UCI, you have to look above any particular rider or team to see the REAL problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Lance accepts lifetime ban - See ya [ivansie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ivansie wrote:
Paulo Sousa wrote:
Why don't you ask Lance why he wasted taxpayer money when he filed a suit in Federal court? Besides USADA is not a government agency.

Funded by the government and organizations that get government funding, same thing, wasting taxpayer money...

The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) is a non-profit organization funded by the US Government, sports organizations, and the national anti-doping organization (NADO) for the United States

It is still not a government agency. The government does not have control over it, other than to retract funding.

The government agency that funds it is the ONDCP, which is tasked with eradicating illicit use, trafficking and manufacturing, drug related crime/violence, and controlling the health consequences of illicit drug use. I'd say the LA case fits quite well, as well as the concept of "pour encourager les autres"

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply

Prev Next