Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
If you think races like these, ie the ones that are not put on by multi-million dollar organizations. are willing to expose themselves to a potential $175,000 loss for a likely measly $25,000 gain, you are crazy.

Not necessarily as it depends on the odds. Probably less than 1% of races are canceled as yes, shit happens. Expected value of that is (25,000)*(.99)-(175,000)*(.01), or $23,000. That's still a pretty healthy profit margin for a $200,000 company/event.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
What is fair is for them to refund 100% of the non-incurred costs and offer a discount to sign up next year. That could be more or less than 25-35%.

And what is smart is to not be a dick about all of it and be as transparent as possible.

So...they are entitled to nothing for the time they spent organizing and setting up the event? Or would you count that as an incurred cost?

John

Refunding all the non-incurred expenses implies your profit is exactly the same as it would have been had the race not been canceled.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
That's fine if that's what y'all want, but I guarantee you if they increase registration the thread would be entitled, "Lake Tahoe increases prices, offers no new services" and there would be pages of diatribe.

Seemingly a lose lose proposition. Increase the price too much, you price out participants or make participants unhappy who thus demand more for their money even thought what they got was insurance. Keep the price low and accept the risk, angry people when cancelled.

Tough call and a lose-lose proposition it seems.

The biggest problem I have with this is the way in which this particular race handled this situation (I am assuming they didn't have insurance in order to keep fees low). Granted the cash is probably gone, so no refunds. Offering an entry to next year's race would have at least sent a message that "we are in this together". Chances are that much less than half of those roll-over entries get used for next year's race. This still puts the race in a whole but preserves the long-term prospects for the race if you can come up with the cash to keep it going for one more year.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [SurfAwave69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check if your cc offers any type of buyers protection.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [Lock_N_Load] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
noofus wrote:
Ajaxrunner wrote:
SurfAwave69 wrote:
For those defending the decision to cancel with no offer to give a race credit, please respond to my previous post...

Again, why not give registered athletes a credit to race in another event? Not asking for a cash refund. Not asking for much...and that wasn't offered.

They did give you a race credit...25% off is a credit.

You just don't like the amount of the credit. Why it cannot be 100% has already been explained.

The only way it would be somewhat feasible to offer 100% credit is if they have additional races scheduled this year with open capacity. In that case they could offer a free entry into an exisiting race or 25% off for a race next year.

Isnt there an insurance aspect here? Do races not carry insurance against something like this happening? If not, why not? If the race director wants repeat business for his future races, I would think making customers happy is a high priority. I dont see why the couch analogy is that bad. Either way the customer is out money, and never received a product. Doesnt matter if you "signed away" the right to a refund if the product is never delivered. You are still out money you paid for and never recieved what you paid for.

In the couch situation, the company is going to have insurance. The insurance company will pay for all the damages. The company providing the couch would offer the refund.

If a race director does NOT have insurance against an unforseen issue that might cancel a race, I would say thats his fault. Not the customers.

Bingo! If you engage in a business activity without insurance then you should pay the consequence. Ultimately companies putting together races are businesses that have risks. Why should all the risk be pushed out to the customer? This is simply not good business practice. Your customers dont give a crap as to why the race couldn't take place or if it wasn't the company's fault. It's not the participant's fault either that mother nature went crazy. As a business your responsibility is to refund for services not rendered (or provide appropriate consideration) and if you had any sense whatsoever as a business your insurance covered you. If you didn't have insurance then you have two choices as a business: 1. Be bastard and piss off any credibility you have as a business, as Lake Tahoe Triathlon has done, 2. Suck it up and invest in the long term success of your race by not pissing on your customer base.

In the end Lake Tahoe Triathlon pissed on all of you who missed out on this race. BTW, I raced the Expedition Man full Iron Distance this Saturday. This race is literally next door to the Lake Tahoe Triathlon. Expedition Man trated us like adults and went on with their race by having us sign a waiver that mase us acknowledge the fact that smoke adds a factor of danger to our health and that we take full responsibility for our actions. The field was very small, but the race was great. All of you Lake Tahoe participants should have taken Expedition Man's offer to come do our race for 50% off. My hats off to the Expedition Man organization for a quality event this weekend in less than ideal circumstances.

This is just brilliant logic....

So, in the first paragraph you basically say that the contract you sign agreeing to a no refund policy means nothing and the organization should buy insurance anyways.

Then in the second paragraph you argue how another organization mitigated risk succesfully by having participants sign a waiver.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [Peanut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peanut wrote:
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Again, why not give registered athletes a credit to race in another event? Not asking for a cash refund. Not asking for much...and that wasn't offered.

'Just a credit for a future race' - I'm OK with you asking for that, as long as when that race comes around, you're willing to:

- not have any generators, sound systems, tents, tables at the venue
- no tables at the aid stations
- willing to take a shirt from this year's canceled event
- no dumpsters. the company was paid this year for delivering them; too bad they weren't filled
- year-old water that may be a little stale; don't know what condition the year-old Gatorade, GU's, or anything else that was going to be available on course (plus chip in some money for the cost of storing that stuff for a year)
- you'll have to pay at the gate for the new race's current permit fees, since the canceled event's fees are already sunk, and there's no new registration income to replace it
- were the bike racks rented? if so, just lay your bike down on a patch of grass or dirt
- was there rented barricade fencing around transition, or along the entrances / exits? hope that nobody wanders into your path while you're racing

I'm sure I haven't hit everything, but if everyone got a free race next year, you would probably find that the race director isn't around to put the race on.

I know this is a joke to prove a point...but I would love to do a race like that. Actually, a few times I pretty much have. Saved money and had great time, too!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
willmillertriathlon.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
kny wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:

Bingo! If you engage in a business activity without insurance then you should pay the consequence. Ultimately companies putting together races are businesses that have risks. Why should all the risk be pushed out to the customer? This is simply not good business practice. Your customers dont give a crap as to why the race couldn't take place or if it wasn't the company's fault. It's not the participant's fault either that mother nature went crazy. As a business your responsibility is to refund for services not rendered (or provide appropriate consideration) and if you had any sense whatsoever as a business your insurance covered you. If you didn't have insurance then you have two choices as a business: 1. Be bastard and piss off any credibility you have as a business, as Lake Tahoe Triathlon has done, 2. Suck it up and invest in the long term success of your race by not pissing on your customer base.

Big talk. Let's see you put on a race that takes in $200,000 in registration, spends $175,000 in expenses, and then is forced to cancel, and see what you do. The options are buy insurance which make the expense become $225,000 and corespondingly increase the registrations to $250,000, or keep registration fees as low as possible and spread the low risk of event cancelation amongst the participants. If you think races like these, ie the ones that are not put on by multi-million dollar organizations. are willing to expose themselves to a potential $175,000 loss for a likely measly $25,000 gain, you are crazy. But, again, tell those of us who actually do it how it is. It's a crappy business as it is. Exposing yourself to a massive loss in the case of event cancelation is a sure way to get a lot of promoters out of the business.

Again, it's the risk you take by going into business!!!! Cry me a river. It's the way the world works sir. You are totally within your rights to pass all the risks and loss to your participants but don't expect enthusiasm for your race next year, if there is a next year, when you treat your participants the way the Lake Tahoe Triathlon has treated theirs. If the risk is too much to handle, then you are absolutely right and you should not be in the business of putting races together. Your point is that it is a low-margin risky business. Agreed. So what? Changes nothing...

Changes lots. You won't have races to race.

Again, I know the score. My event is in two weeks. I know the bank balance and I know my account payables and I know what is left to refund to athletes and it is well less than 25% of total registration fees collected. Probably only WTC runs better than a 25% margin in this business. So, for all of you who expect full refunds when an event cancels, the only way this happens is if your registration fees go up significantly because events getting act of God insurance becomes the norm rather than participants assuming the risk. That's the whole story, like it or not. If my events gets canceled, I'll take any money left over (tough luck charity beneficiary) and prorate it to the amount paid for registration by each athlete and distribute it. It would be well less than the 25% being offered, but it would be an equitable distribution of funds left. Oh, and I don't get paid.

And, I got into this business not to make money but to give a great race to athletes. But, it is entitled attitudes like those in this thread is a large part of why I am getting out of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They definitely need to think fiscally. I also think they should absord some of the loss. Right now people are out $225 and have nothing to show. Permits, shirts, medals are all a loss (some a tax deductible donation to charity), any water or race setup stuff just moves forward to the next race. I think a company with insurance is better equipped to nhandle a bigger loss. Offering a discount to another race is a slap in the face. Free entry should be offered. The whole situation sucks for everyone but, it's the consumer who has been getting stuck in this sport for awhile.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [Ajaxrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajaxrunner wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
noofus wrote:
Ajaxrunner wrote:
SurfAwave69 wrote:
For those defending the decision to cancel with no offer to give a race credit, please respond to my previous post...

They did give you a race credit...25% off is a credit.

You just don't like the amount of the credit. Why it cannot be 100% has already been explained.

The only way it would be somewhat feasible to offer 100% credit is if they have additional races scheduled this year with open capacity. In that case they could offer a free entry into an exisiting race or 25% off for a race next year.

Isnt there an insurance aspect here? Do races not carry insurance against something like this happening? If not, why not? If the race director wants repeat business for his future races, I would think making customers happy is a high priority. I dont see why the couch analogy is that bad. Either way the customer is out money, and never received a product. Doesnt matter if you "signed away" the right to a refund if the product is never delivered. You are still out money you paid for and never recieved what you paid for.

In the couch situation, the company is going to have insurance. The insurance company will pay for all the damages. The company providing the couch would offer the refund.

If a race director does NOT have insurance against an unforseen issue that might cancel a race, I would say thats his fault. Not the customers.

In the end Lake Tahoe Triathlon pissed on all of you who missed out on this race. BTW, I raced the Expedition Man full Iron Distance this Saturday. This race is literally next door to the Lake Tahoe Triathlon. Expedition Man trated us like adults and went on with their race by having us sign a waiver that mase us acknowledge the fact that smoke adds a factor of danger to our health and that we take full responsibility for our actions. The field was very small, but the race was great. All of you Lake Tahoe participants should have taken Expedition Man's offer to come do our race for 50% off. My hats off to the Expedition Man organization for a quality event this weekend in less than ideal circumstances.

This is just brilliant logic....

So, in the first paragraph you basically say that the contract you sign agreeing to a no refund policy means nothing and the organization should buy insurance anyways.

Then in the second paragraph you argue how another organization mitigated risk succesfully by having participants sign a waiver.

Whoa, I never argued that the contract the participant signed means nothing. It is legally binding. However, it is a whole other matter to enforce that clause. You as a company can do that, as Lake Tahoe Triathlon has done, but that is not the best move for the long-term prospects of your race. My point is you should do everything you can to provide consideration for the participants loss. Rather this triathlon decided to simply say: Sorry suckers, you all agreed to this and you are out of luck. The participant is left thinking: Umm, all their costs are covered, I'm screwed, and they just threw in my face the fact that I agreed to be screwed. What they are doing may be legal and even "fair" but it's still very stupid.

------------------
http://dontletitdefeatyou.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:
My point is you should do everything you can to provide consideration for the participants loss. Rather this triathlon decided to simply say: Sorry suckers, you all agreed to this and you are out of luck. The participant is left thinking: Umm, all their costs are covered, I'm screwed, and they just threw in my face the fact that I agreed to be screwed. What they are doing may be legal and even "fair" but it's still very stupid.

THIS
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fartleker wrote:
There was actually another tri that was canceled here in May. It was held on a military base. And after Boston, the base freaked out and wanted full social security numbers, driver's license numbers, addresses, and more for 500 participants and and of the spectators. The race organizers canceled in on Tuesday or Wednesday (the event was Sunday) and gave full refunds, turned it into a donation, or gift cards to a local sporting good store.

Hey you aren't talking about the Coast Guard Duathlon, are you?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This isn't about the ironman race is it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. It was the Jay Benson triathlon, aka the Albuquerque Championship of the World.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lock_N_Load wrote:

Whoa, I never argued that the contract the participant signed means nothing. It is legally binding. However, it is a whole other matter to enforce that clause. You as a company can do that, as Lake Tahoe Triathlon has done, but that is not the best move for the long-term prospects of your race. My point is you should do everything you can to provide consideration for the participants loss. Rather this triathlon decided to simply say: Sorry suckers, you all agreed to this and you are out of luck. The participant is left thinking: Umm, all their costs are covered, I'm screwed, and they just threw in my face the fact that I agreed to be screwed. What they are doing may be legal and even "fair" but it's still very stupid.

You know I've seen a bunch of threads on this type of situation over the years and this always seems to be the sort of the "last resort" gripe in these situations. It seems to always proceed like this

First it's fraudulent. But it isn't.
Then it isn't legal. But it is.
Then it isn't "fair". But entrants agreed to it.
Then it's "stupid" of the race organizers -- as if now we are looking out for their bottom line.

But they don't need our help. It's not stupid of them. Their bottom line will do a hell of a lot better than if they offered a 100% refund. For all the bad will you might imagine this would generate, they are not going to suffer from any big drop in signups next year. Plenty of races have cancelled for various reasons and for all the stink that a few people raise, they keep coming back for more the next year. For the same reason IM events sell out in hours no matter how much they raise the price.

If they made a pattern of this, that would be different.
Last edited by: JoeO: Aug 27, 13 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [Max Daddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Max Daddy wrote:
This isn't about the ironman race is it?

No I was asking him which race was cancelled on the military base
Last edited by: JoeO: Aug 27, 13 12:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Lock_N_Load wrote:
My point is you should do everything you can to provide consideration for the participants loss. Rather this triathlon decided to simply say: Sorry suckers, you all agreed to this and you are out of luck. The participant is left thinking: Umm, all their costs are covered, I'm screwed, and they just threw in my face the fact that I agreed to be screwed. What they are doing may be legal and even "fair" but it's still very stupid.

THIS

I agree with the sentiment. Races have an ethical obligation to do what they can to provide consideration. I think most here have expectations that are unreasonable, but 25% credit to future race is scraping the bottom of reasonable. 25% refund would probably be unfeasible and 100% credit also unreasonable, at least for smaller organizations of just a single or a few races.

Full event cancelation with lots of time to spare is extreme scenario. What about other scenarios that have the same impact on YOU of canceling or corrupting your racing experience?
  • thunderstorms cancel the swim but rest of event proceeds
  • act of God or terrorism terminates an event in progress (ie, Boston Marathon)
  • train crossing corrupts the race for some (train schedules are, by law, not published)
  • serious accident on course and EMT vehicles block the race course, corrupting the race for some
  • a microburst takes down a tent killing people and the event is canceled (ie, see Indiana Sugarland concert)
  • a volunteer knocks over your carbon frame in transition and breaks it, ruining your event

As you can see, there are lots of things that can go wrong and ruin the entire event, part of the event, or your event. There is going to be no insurance to cover each and every circumstance. So, what is a promoter to do, but have a no-refunds policy and then act in good faith and provide a good faith effort to make things right after the fact.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [cmonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not saying that they are wrong in what they are doing, but I couldn't look my customers in the eye knowing I'm still holding events and didnt give them what they paid for.

That's just me, and also I'd never put on races but being a coach in customer service, just my thoughts.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:

Answer: Money is already spent and they would need to spend the same / similar money next year or in a different event. You are asking them basically for a free entry next year or into another event.

I know this process all too well - I was an RD for a race cancelled by lightning. Our race was on a break even plan - (no need to make money no charity, etc. to worry about). 98% of or revenue was either spent or in the soon to be paid process - there simply was no money for refunds. We offered a 50% discount in the next year's race. Increased numbers help us break even that year.

"We will either find a way, or make one." -- Hannibal, General of the Carthaginian Army
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [lacverde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But people would still be registering for the event as usual. Add them in with the people who were cancelled on.

Also, make any one of their events available to those who were cancelled on. Those events would still have people registering for them and they'd still be making money.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:

• thunderstorms cancel the swim but rest of event proceeds
  • act of God or terrorism terminates an event in progress (ie, Boston Marathon)
  • train crossing corrupts the race for some (train schedules are, by law, not published)
  • serious accident on course and EMT vehicles block the race course, corrupting the race for some
  • a microburst takes down a tent killing people and the event is canceled (ie, see Indiana Sugarland concert)
  • a volunteer knocks over your carbon frame in transition and breaks it, ruining your event

Other than the microburst scenario and the swim cancellation, all of these things are individual issues that happen to a portion of the people racing. Those situations can be dealt with individually by the RD.

With the swim cancellation, I think we are all aware that certain circumstances cancel a swim, but can allow the event to proceed. I wouldnt expect anything in that scenario since everyone is still racing the same course (just modified).

With the microburst, well, the event was cancelled. You do whatever you were going to do if a hurricane wiped out the whole thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [riltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
PM sent with my mailing address

No PM received. I'm in AVL for a few more weeks. You figure out your race, logistics etc, get some contracts drawn up for sponsorship, send it to me. I'll stick the money in escrow and at a designated date before the race release it to you.

I'm 100% serious. You've got $1000 in race sponsorship if you go through the steps to put on the race. I'll even sweeten the deal. If you do a triathlon, any distance it's $1250. The world needs more RDs.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 27, 13 13:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know all the details here, but I do know really good RD's do everything they can often turning themselves inside-out to try and put a race on under challenging circumstances. Passionately and deep down in side, that's what they want to do.

They are deeply disappointed when they can't get the race off the ground, almost always for very legitimate reasons. As pointed out, a full refund given the dynamics of the economics of events is an impossibility. Again, as others noted some form of credit for a future event is typically offered, and most athletes are accepting and grateful for that.

There will be a small minority of participants though that will continue to nash their teeth, rant & vent on forums and make life difficult for the RD, even though, at this point the RD will be personally crestfallen and genuinely disappointed, that they had to cancel, and are prepared to extend as much as they dare in credit to make sure that everyone is happy. Note they are NOT at home counting their money.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I want to make it clear to everyone reading this thread that I love triathlon and the supportive community around the sport. We need more races and race directors out there.

I usually participate in two tri's a month, a couple trail races, etc. On average, I spend $400 a month on race registrations. I feel as though I'm a big contributor to the industry; $400 a month is significant for me since I make well below $100,000 a year. That being said, I have a right to be displeased with the actions of Big Blue Adventures. They need to do what's right here and give those who spent a considerable amount on the race a chance to participate in another event with a full credit.
Last edited by: SurfAwave69: Aug 27, 13 13:37
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fartleker wrote:

Your speculation is as good as mine. I'm guessing police and barricades were already paid. Would they be refunded? I don't know. Different jurisdictions would have different policies and contracts.

Shirts and swag were definitely paid for (or donated). I'm guessing the beneficiary (if any) would lose out. Insurance was paid and a portion might be refunded. USATF will refund a portion but I don't know if USAT will.

Timing probably wouldn't be paid, unless bib numbers were already created. If that was the case, it might just be a portion that was paid. It's really impossible to say. Plus, triathlons have much, much bigger budgets and expenses than simple running races.

Did the race have any cash sponsors? Think the race director would give them their money back?

Where I am Police get paid in cash the night before the race. One guy collects it all. Not saying it works that way everywhere, every time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
I want to make it clear to everyone reading this thread that I love triathlon and the supportive community around the sport. We need more races and race directors out there.

At least until they don't give you what you feel is your fair share.

Quote:
I usually participate in two tri's a month, a couple trail races, etc. On average, I spend $400 a month on race registrations. I feel as though I'm a big contributor to the industry; $400 a month is significant for me since I make well below $100,000 a year. That being said, I have a right to be displeased with the actions of Big Blue Adventures. They need to do what's right here and give those who spent a considerable about on the race a chance to participate in another event with a full credit.

What about a local guy that entered early and only paid $130? Do you have more right than that person to your full refund? Do you think you are more entitled to a refund because it's a bigger proportion of your earnings than the millionaire in Alaska that flew in for it? Would you be this upset if it was a $40 10k down the street and they offered you $8 off the next race?

Note: That last question, if you answer anything but yes, you are a hypocrite.

What race did you enter? I'm curious, as their entry fee page shows no listing of $225 for any race.

They offered you a discount. I'm sure that it was carefully calculated to squeeze every last dime that they could out of the racers.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply

Prev Next