Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [SurfAwave69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Thank you for this post.

I appreciate that race directors work hard to put on races. Without them, there would be no triathlons to participate in.

To just say 'Aw, dude, sorry, uh, it's cancelled, you're out $225...how about you pay for another one of our races?! I'll give you $20 off!' not cool.

I really wanted to like Big Blue Adventures...but they've lost my business :(

0/10, very bad math. Would not read again...
Quote Reply
Post deleted by justarunner [ In reply to ]
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My point is very simple: the promoter should not make a profit on a cancelled event. Yes, the athlete should absorb some of the cost, not arguing that. But this promoter made his normal profit + a bonus by not incurring race day expenses.

I own my own business. All of the order confirmations to our customers are very explicit....it is their responsibility to confirm the specifics that they gave us are correct. Several time every month the customer gives us the wrong information and when the product gets into the field, it is wrong. I ALWAYS remake the product and sell it to them at our material cost...no labor or profit added. I do/have done this for 2 reasons: I feel it would be unethical to profit from it and I have built a very loyal customer base over the last 17 years. But that is just me.

Now, wipe up all the spit off of your keyboard and go for a run. You obviously need to release some stress that we have caused you.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's your angle here? Do you support the decision to only give 25% off, or what?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [cmonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To me it's all about customer service. Company like this has to think fiscally, logically and in the future. If this is all they want to do, then I think they have to be able to take the complaining.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
apbadger wrote:
Race directors don't sell a commodity.

RDs sell a service. Not that much unlike buying an airplane ticket.

If your flight is cancelled by mother nature, the airline books you on the next available flight. They dont offer you a refund, but they also dont make you buy another ticket for that next flight.

And that's the airlines policy. Besides, I'm only in this thread to keep the fire going, this popcorn is tasty! ; )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
noofus wrote:
justarunner wrote:
Go for it, if you're so upset that a guy on the internet called you a name, you've a lot of growing up to do. I recognized incompetence and called it for what it was. Sorry if that offends you.

Sounds like you are the one that got upset because your potential customers are calling out your bad business practices.

I disagree that it's a bad business practice. If it was bad, the customers wouldn't return, yet they do. It's a sound business model that works and its the reason most RDs across multiple sports and organizations have adopted it.

As I stated, if people disagree with it, do something to change it, bitching into an echo chamber does nothing, is not constructive and is what edgy youth do who don't want to do what it takes to make real change.

Internet forums exist so we can bitch into an echo chamber. Its the nature of the beast. I cant do anything to change the industry right now from my chair. But I can talk about it here and get people to say stuff that they would never consider saying in real life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do what I can to keep it buttery. Let me know if it gets stale, I'll pop some fresh corn for you.

apbadger wrote:
noofus wrote:
apbadger wrote:

If your flight is cancelled by mother nature, the airline books you on the next available flight. They dont offer you a refund, but they also dont make you buy another ticket for that next flight.

And that's the airlines policy. Besides, I'm only in this thread to keep the fire going, this popcorn is tasty! ; )

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
It's not hard. Put on a race, give the customers what they want and be open ears to their suggestions.

My personal opinions of the idiots won't get in the way of being a RD. I know how to separate my internet forum life from my real life. If you can't understand that, perhaps you're the dumb fuck. Biting sarcasm fails when your sarcasm exposes your inability to realize that conversations on an internet forum perhaps don't always reveal who a person truly is.

I'm the same guy who would call you a dumb fuck and if you happened to bump into me at the bar tonight and were like "Justarunner, is that you, the asshole from slowtwitch" I'd probably be like, "yea, that was me, can I get you a beer?"

Strokes of the keyboard don't represent all that a person is. If you're ever in Dayton, Ohio, PM me, I'll buy you that beer and we'll talk about my ambitions for RD and perhaps what you as a customer would expect from an RD.

Goosedog wrote:
justarunner wrote:
Sorry, but the level of 'tard in this thread is unreal. As someone who wants to be a RD and a great one someday, I rage at the level of incompetence among participants, especially ones dedicated enough to loaf about in forums such as ST. If you're own ST, obviously you care about triathlon or some aspect of one fo the three sports of triathlon. So to see such a blazen level of ignorance and such a general distaste for people who bust their ass to provide great services infuriates me like no other.

I hope you'll be able to convince these dumb fucks to participant in your races. Best of luck.

Soooo..... you really enjoy being an asshole but are too cowardly to do it when you are not anonymous? Is that the logic here?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
What's your angle here? Do you support the decision to only give 25% off, or what?

Dude...you got 25% off another race, but the RD, legally and ethically, didn't have to give you anything. Now, would it have been better if you had gotten an entry into another race? Of course. But it seems like you're just complaining because the credit that's been given doesn't match your preconceived notion of what you should have gotten.

Honestly, it makes you come across as an entitled jerk. But that's just my opinion as an outside observer, other people can feel free to disagree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:
noofus wrote:
apbadger wrote:

Hell, I dont even have any skin in this game. I am not looking for a refund - this race cancellation doesnt affect me at all!

(Unless you count the potential for IMLT to be cancelled for the same reason as this one was, I guess)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:

I'd agree with the people thinking its a bit on the cheap side. I happen to work for a race company on the weekends, and I can honestly say IF something like this happened with one of our races the RD/owner would be a bit more accommodating. I have no idea how many people were signed up for the cancelled race, but if they allowed everyone to enter the same race for free the following year, that just wouldn't fly. Getting a comped race entry up to a certain value seems more reasonable. But to everyone here thinking the money is just sitting in the bank, that's just crazy. Races are so damn expensive to produce well. No point in beating a dead horse. /rant
Last edited by: apbadger: Aug 27, 13 10:59
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [asad137] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand they didn't have to give me anything. I entered an agreement when I registered and that's that.

I don't make much money, so this race was expensive for me.

To me, 25% off another race isn't much since they're still making a profit.

I guess my goal here is to vent and see what other athletes on this forum think about the situation. I've achieved my goal and hope all of you have a wonderful rest of the season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
[Soooo..... you really enjoy being an asshole but are too cowardly to do it when you are not anonymous? Is that the logic here?
"

Oh, i'll be a dick in person if you deserve it. I'll gladly use the same language too.

But I know not to confuse personal life disagreements with work life. And at the end of the day, i'm really nice. So I'll be a dick be it online or in person I'll gladly be like, "yea, I was being a dick when we argued, want a beer". I'm not so cowardly that I can't admit that I can be a dick.

Summary. I'll be an ass if you deserve it be it online or in person. I'll probably apologize for it and let you know I was being an ass. Like in this thread I can tell you, I was an ass to the guardian, to noofus, riltri, and one other person. But they were also spewing intense ignorance on more than one occassion. So yea, I could've dealt with it peacefully, but who cares, it's a silly argument about a topic on a forum, who cares if I use a few choice words. I'm not stressed, I'm just having a convo and happen to use words that society has deemed very aggresive. Who cares. I along with the ones I named will forget by tomorrow, and if one of us doesn't, well, we're immature.

I didnt realize that an expectation of getting what I paid for was "intense ignorance", but by all means continue with that notion. You can talk all you want about "how the industry works" or about the waivers I signed saying I didnt have a right to a refund. In the end its simply wrong to effectivly take money from your customers (ones who I presume you want to be repeat customers) and not provide the service, or its equivalent at a later time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All the quasi legalities does not negate the business factor. Offend your customers and they will not return. In fact, you will have created a vocal force that will bad mouth your business.

In my view, if I buy a concert ticket and it is cancelled due to a storm, then I expect a refund for services not rendered.

Last year, when the NY marathon was cancelled they initially wanted to not refund the entries based on the "we've already spent the funds" argument. The public and their customers (the runners) were vocal and offended ... and they changed their policy.

As to the WTC ... they have a "brand". What the public will tolerate from a "brand" is different than a "just another" business. Hell, I am volunteering at IMFL this year to gain entry for next. There is no way in hell I would go down to my local Exxon and ask "can I volunteer here for a few hours because you refuse to pay for an adequate staff" yet make hundreds of millions of dollars in profit. But I will for IMFL because I covet it. Most businesses, including races, cannot get away with that.

If I felt this race was being abusive ... if I felt offended by it ... they would lose my future business and I would be negatively vocal every time this event came up in a conversation.
Last edited by: CPA_PFS: Aug 27, 13 11:19
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [CPA_PFS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPA and Noofus,

I agree with y'all both. I think you may have missed that in my diatribes. To say, you get no money because you agreed to it and I owe you nothing in return is HORRIBLE business practice and asking that no one return to your race. But there is a fine line as to what you can give back to the consumer as expenditures are real and profit margins in triathlon/running races are next to zero. So as I just asked badger, what do you do?

In my eyes, I'd say 25-35% discount is more than fair. It's acknowledging the unfairness of having the race cancelled and trying to compensate you if you'd like to return while also not sinking the business.

Agree?

The Home of Advanced Running
Advanced Running Instagram Page
My narcisstic training log
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
apbadger wrote:
SurfAwave69 wrote:

I'd agree with the people thinking its a bit on the cheap side. I happen to work for a race company on the weekends, and I can honestly say IF something like this happened with one of our races the RD/owner would be a bit more accommodating. I have no idea how many people were signed up for the cancelled race, but if they allowed everyone to enter the same race for free the following year, that just wouldn't fly. Getting a comped race entry up to a certain value seems more reasonable. But to everyone here thinking the money is just sitting in the bank, that's just crazy. Races are so damn expensive to produce well. No point in beating a dead horse. /rant

It's been asked a few times and I've seen some people throw out numbers, but as someone who works with a race company, what do you think is the fair reimbursement.

I personally feel the RD has no obligation past the clause in the contract, i.e., no refund and no obligation for the future. However, as someone who wants to be an RD eventually, definitely unacceptable in my eyes. Perhaps no refund this year as funds have been spent but how do you discount next year when so often the race is barely breaking even? Would you say its fair to email all who were registered and give them a discount code that works for a certain period of time and up to X%? I personally would argue that up to 35% would have to be the max as anymore and you risk eating into the funds necessary to put on the following race.

Where do you draw the line at what percent?

I don't personally work on the financing side of race production, do mostly race timing, event set up/tear down and bike/run course support, but I've seen the invoices and its always eye opening. I do know that the further out a participant pays for a race, we can provide a steeper discount. Things become more expensive closer to race day, which is pretty obvious. In terms of the OPs situation, I'd think a more fair offer would be closer to 50%, but like I said, I'd really have no good estimate of how that would affect the bottom line of the business.

edit: that 50% expiring well in advance of the next years race. It'd be a good way of the RD saying "it sucks we had to cancel. If you decide to race next year by XX date, this is what we can offer" sort of thing.
Last edited by: apbadger: Aug 27, 13 11:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AANNNNDDDDD.....after reading all six (and counting) thoroughly entertaining pages of this thread, I think I will stick to trying to overtake the KOM's on Strava.......

Seriously.

W

Pop's trippin'...He wants me to ask for my bike back...You know I wouldn't trip...
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [riltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
riltri wrote:
My point is very simple: the promoter should not make a profit on a cancelled event. Yes, the athlete should absorb some of the cost, not arguing that. But this promoter made his normal profit + a bonus by not incurring race day expenses...

The underlined, how do you know this is true? I don't disagree at all with your first sentence but it would seem that we lack the knowledge to know whether or not the RD made any kind of profit. To me, that's what makes it impossible to say (for someone who believes in the first part of what you wrote) whether an RD is right in refunding 25%, or 50%, or whatever, or offering a 25% or 50% discount to a future event. As an RD I can tell you that offering a discount to a future event poses a lot lower risk to me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your cancellation policy?
No refund is available after July 25th. Challenge Penticton wants athletes to feel comfortable registering for the race. A refund less $100- administration costs is available up until July 25th, 2013. Or you can defer your registration fee to 2014.

Seems the Challenge has a very friendly refund policy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
Congrats, you've identified outliers, take a statistics class to realize they're of no significance.

I have three (local) examples of canceled races where things rolled over 100%. This represents all of the local races that have been canceled in the past few years.

Lake Tahoe Tri is one where it didn't.

3>1, so LTT is the outlier. Fact!

I do wonder what the percentage is nationwide that have registrations roll over versus just being washed away. Yes, we all sign the waiver and say that the registration isn't valid if the event is canceled. But I do wonder how often the race directors actually hold true to that (or give just a marginal credit).

speedySTATES
Quote Reply

Prev Next