Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [SurfAwave69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Still curious about those deleted posts, John.

Have you ever started to say something and then thought better of it?

/

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gary Mc wrote:
SurfAwave69 wrote:

/

No, that's never happened to him. Ever.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
I get that it's the internet and it's easy to call someone a 'bitch', 'entitled', 'bitchy', 'butt-hurt', etc...but do you think this accomplishes anything? If athletes complained to a Race Director in person, do you think it would be a good idea for him/her to say: 'Aw, quit your bitching you entitled asshole...putting on these events is hard and I don't make much money, so let me take your money and quit bitching'

They're running a business and I'm a paying customer. You want the customer to return? Do what's right. Call me whatever you want, that's the way it works.
and sometimes, there is a huge disaster happening imminently that shuts down the race, in which case everyone suffers a loss. That is also, sometimes, thankfully rarely, the way it works. It is in losing sight of that detail and continuing to present this as if they just absconded with your money that has garnered you the responses you have not liked. Context man.

===================================
I'll tell you all right now, my seat is too low, I'm not aero and I carry too much fluid on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Gary Mc wrote:
SurfAwave69 wrote:

/

It's ok to tell someone 'shut the fuck up', but not okay to question someone about deleted posts? Hmm...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Gary Mc wrote:
SurfAwave69 wrote:

/

It's ok to tell someone 'shut the fuck up', but not okay to question someone about deleted posts? Hmm...

Pink = sarcasm. I'm somewhat known for posts deleted right after hitting send. Usually because I've either realized I made an error in the post or I thought better of calling a whiny ass bitch a whiny ass bitch. Which is not referring to you, actually. I did call someone that once and it created a rather nasty ruckus at the time.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just hope the RD can now afford to put on a race that you can use your discount on. I'm sure you will be back to complain if he doesn't!
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [justarunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justarunner wrote:
2) You have agreed to forfeit your money. There was...
a) an Offer
b) Consideration
c) Acceptance

3) That means we have a legally binding contract that included a clause concerning no refunds.

4) Someone would say this is fraud but for fraud you need,
a) A false statement of material fact
b) knowledge on the part of the defendent the statement is untrue
c) intent to deceive the victim
d) justifiable reliance on the statement by the victim
e) injury to the victim

5) Wow, seems like we only have two elements, thus there is no fraud, no breach of contract, and you are entitled to NO money back.

6) For people like the guardian who can't wrap their brain around why this business model is different is because this business provides a single service, once a year, and mass refunds would immediately bankrupt said company as opposed to a couch company which has factored in one bad couch every 1000. 1 bad race in one race with refunds = bye bye race.

Your interpretation of the law may be correct but your interpretation of the situation is incorrect.

The contract was written by the promoter and no changes were allowed. So the contract is interpreted as the participant reads the contract.

The participant paid for entry into an event. The promoter agreed to put on the event on a specific day.

The promoter decided the breach the contract by not providing specific performance. The participant asked for performance.

The promoter started a negotiation by asking for additional payment for performance. The participant rejected the negotiation and asked for performance.

There was never a request for a refund. Only a request for performance.

The fraud is as easily outlined.

---

I think you and many others are confusing this situation to another situation. I think many of you are confusing this with a participant hiring a promoter to put on an event. The participant then cancels the event and asks for a refund. Clearly the participant is not entitled to a refund. In each case note who canceled the event.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [An Old Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the promoter in breach if a lightning storm strikes and the swim is canceled and all athletes race is impacted?

Is the promoter in breach if a train crossing interrupts the race and all/many athletes race is impacted.

Is the promoter in breach if an accident response blocks the race for a period of time and all/many athletes race is impacted?

Is the promoter in breach if a race mechanic breaks a participant's bike and that participant cannot race and a single athletes race is impacted?

Is the promoter in breach if water quality test dictates swim is canceled?

Is the promoter in breach if road construction dictates a course change?

Is the promoter in breach if a natural disaster forces an event cancelation days/hours before the event?

Is the promoter in breach if inability to garner permits forces an event cancelation months before the event?

Is the promoter in breach if he absconds with all race funds and moves to Bali?

Needless to say, there are a lot of circumstances that can cause "providing specific performance" to not be met, and to not be met at different scales. People here act as if a last-minute hurricane that cancels the event is the same situation as the promoter taking the money and running, which happened one year at the National Marathon, or canceling the event with many months notice and not refunding money.

The promoter has covered himself though the no-refund policy. It is a valid argument to say that participants should not be asked to share risk and that promoters should have to get additional insurance. But, what levels of not "providing specific performance" does this insurance cover, and what about the infinite, other scenarios that can occur?
Last edited by: kny: Aug 29, 13 6:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:

The fraud is as easily outlined.

This is not a fraud. You don't understand what the term means. The participant may or may not legally be entitled to a refund, but this is not fraud (absent additional extraordinary facts). Stop pushing this stupidity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you don't actually practice law.

~~ kate
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:
Is the promoter in breach if a lightning storm strikes and the swim is canceled and all athletes race is impacted?

Is the promoter in breach if a train crossing interrupts the race and all/many athletes race is impacted.

Is the promoter in breach if an accident response blocks the race for a period of time and all/many athletes race is impacted?

Is the promoter in breach if a race mechanic breaks a participant's bike and that participant cannot race and a single athletes race is impacted?

Is the promoter in breach if water quality test dictates swim is canceled?

Is the promoter in breach if road construction dictates a course change?

Is the promoter in breach if a natural disaster forces an event cancelation days/hours before the event?

Is the promoter in breach if inability to garner permits forces an event cancelation months before the event?

Is the promoter in breach if he absconds with all race funds and moves to Bali?

Needless to say, there are a lot of circumstances that can cause "providing specific performance" to not be met, and to not be met at different scales. People here act as if a last-minute hurricane that cancels the event is the same situation as the promoter taking the money and running, which happened one year at the National Marathon, or canceling the event with many months notice and not refunding money.

The promoter has covered himself though the no-refund policy. It is a valid argument to say that participants should not be asked to share risk and that promoters should have to get additional insurance. But, what levels of not "providing specific performance" does this insurance cover, and what about the infinite, other scenarios that can occur?

You missed the point. Performance is asked for. (Not specific performance) Noone asked for a refund. They asked for performance on a future date.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I didn't miss the point. People are saying that promoters should get event cancelation insurance if their business model makes it such that they are unable to afford wholesale refunds to all participants. But, event cancelation insurance won't cover everything, and there will be many shades of gray circumstances like those I listed, and there is always SurfAWave who feels that he has been wronged, deserves a full refund, and needs to go to the Attorney General or his credit card company to rectify the wrong. So, the race gets shortened from what you registered for and there is an uproar for refunds because you signed up for a Half but got an Olympic. Event cancelation insurance doesn't cover this. So, the promoter is right back in this exact same circumstance.

The only option is for the promoter to cover his ass completely via an extreme policy - no refunds - and then act reasonably to make right based on the circumstances that occurred. And, this is what typically happens, and the issue here is that 25% refund is not deemed reasonable by many.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:
...and no changes were allowed. So the contract is interpreted as the participant reads the contract.

But changes ARE allowed per the contract. Acts of god, etc. So if the contract DOES allow for force majeure, how is it fraud?
Quote Reply

Prev Next