Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [SurfAwave69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But, let's be clear here. Even if the RD offered you a 100% cash refund, and surely you would not expect more out of him would you, you would still be out $145 as you only paid $80. So, let's stop throwing around the $225 when reading the fine print and avoiding this race would have only prevented you from spending the $80 registration. If you have gripes with $145 in other travel expenses being lost, is your gripe with the RD for these as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
$80? Huh? The half is way more than that. Why are you telling me how much I paid? I don't even know you.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [RunFatboyRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunFatboyRun wrote:
The point was shorthand for news of the day, saying I don't even need to go to the broader world perspective to say how silly this debate is.

I understand the context now. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Devlin [ In reply to ]
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was mistaken. I paid $245 for the half, not $225.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Thanks.

$225 is a ton of money to me, so I too will be looking closer at the fine print next time around. It's humorous the amount of animosity those can have towards someone they never met. It's a shame.

It can't be that much of a ton of money, according to your figures earlier of an average of $400 a month ($4800 a year) just on race registrations alone, your mythical 225 is only about 4.5% of your entire entry fee budget.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nitpicking at my financials is deflecting from the main issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Nitpicking at my financials is deflecting from the main issue.

Mmmm, no, not really. You keep claiming that this is such a burden financially, and how it impacts you so horrifically. If the $245 was 40% of your race budget, I might be a bit more sympathetic. But, it's not. It's not even 5% of your entry fees, let alone your overall race budget cost for the year.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Last edited by: Devlin: Aug 28, 13 14:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I already responded to you and said I was mistaken, I paid $245 for the half. I make well below 100k and racing is important to me, so I allocate as much as I can towards it which is tough. I'm also curious what was in your deleted post, by the way.
Last edited by: SurfAwave69: Aug 28, 13 14:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why were you stating initially that you would get a $20 credit to race next year? Something isn't smelling right about your story. 25% of $245 is not $20, or maybe my math is different than yours.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I meant to say 25%...I get that you're trying to discredit me, so I'll post the update from the RD again:

After some consideration we are increasing the race credit amount from 25% to 50%. Additionally the credit will be good for any Big Blue Adventure event. The credit is valid until August 24, 2014 and is for registration fees, not USAT or processing fees.

Soon we will process the credits and you will receive email notification to the email used during the online registration process.
Last edited by: SurfAwave69: Aug 28, 13 14:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
I already responded to you and said I was mistaken, I paid $245 for the half. I make well below 100k and racing is important to me, so I allocate as much as I can towards it which is tough.

Look, I understand that, I really do. I rode a badly sized donated aluminum P3 for a few years because I couldn't afford a replacement. I get it. And I also understand that the impact is more than just the entry fee (Although you could have saved $30 on the registration by entering more than two weeks out from the event).

But if paying 5k a year in race fees alone is tough, well, that's your choice. You love to race, and that's fine, but you set your budget. Nobody is making you pay wads of cash for destination triathlons. Nobody was really objecting to your characterization of the 25%, they were mostly objecting to the self entitled way you present yourself.

Oh, and there are pro's out there who race for a living, and are also making substantially less than 100k. Guaranteed they love racing just as much as you do. Whining about how you make "substantially less" than 100k (Which I'm guessing is actually somewhere between 75-100k, otherwise you'd be saying you make less than 75k as the next natural separation point) is just more "Oh, pity me look how hard I have it".

But, you got what you wanted. The RD caved, and is giving 50%. Well played.

John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
I already responded to you and said I was mistaken, I paid $245 for the half. I make well below 100k and racing is important to me, so I allocate as much as I can towards it which is tough. I'm also curious what was in your deleted post, by the way.
My offer still stands, if insurance against this type of loss is what you want. Your premiums will be 10% of your entry fees, and your coverage is 100% repayment in the case of a canceled race.

If you want to purchase this insurance, then terrific. If not, what you want is indemnification against loss, without paying for it.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [jjmstang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jjmstang wrote:
SurfAwave69 wrote:
You sign your rights away when registering for it.

This was in the email: "Our company policy in regard to refunding entry fees is straight forward. It is one that every registrant agrees to during the online registration process, and is an industry standard. The policy is that there are no refunds."

Any halfway decent lawyer can walk right through that and get a refund

Lawyers would likely charge $500 just to draft a letter. Sounds like a crazy idea to even think of the legal route when loosing out on $225.

Quote | Reply
Consistently resorting to personal attacks, i.e. 'whining' and entitled', doesn't do anything. There are others that are upset about the cancellation and the credit back. Like I said before, you don't know who I am nor do I know who you are. I am positing an opinion on a public triathlon message board about my experience with a certain race. Take it as that; why get worked up about it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Consistently resorting to personal attacks, i.e. 'whining' and entitled', doesn't do anything. There are others that are upset about the cancellation and the credit back. Like I said before, you don't know who I am nor do I know who you are. I am positing an opinion on a public triathlon message board about my experience with a certain race. Take it as that; why get worked up about it?

It's not a personal attack. It can't be personal, I don't know you. It's an assessment based on your presentation. And you constantly say I'm deflecting, but rather than address the things I bring up, you slide around it and say I'm attacking you. Deflection at its finest.

John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe I have addressed your posts, I'm just under the impression they're not good enough for you. Example, you say I'm asking for pity; well, I wouldn't call it pity. I'm displeased with the way an organization handled it's customers, especially considering the sum of money and time each athlete has spent on that race (not including expenditures).
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Devlin [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The race fees you paid for this race are spent. Gone. Poof. The RD would probably gladly reimburse you if he had the money, but he/she doesn't.

The next race can't be put on without income to support it.

Whatever it is your notion of "fair" is, seems completely oblivious to a few very simple realities.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was trying to paint a picture of my personal situation. Of course those on here (you) opposed to my feelings about this race and its cancellation will spin it negatively towards me.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand that most of the money is already spent, but the way it was handled was wrong, in my opinion. The communication through the emails was unsatisfactory and vague. First they said 'hey, were going to reschedule the race', then 'we're actually not going to reschedule, but here's 25% off, then 50%...'.
Anyway, I believe I have made my point...anything more would be 'beating a dead horse'.
Last edited by: SurfAwave69: Aug 28, 13 15:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5k in race fees is like 7.5 Ironman (trademark) races
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
I understand that most of the money is already spent, but the way it was handled was wrong, in my opinion. The communication through the emails was unsatisfactory and vague. First they said 'hey, were going to reschedule the race', then 'we're actually not going to reschedule, but here's 25% off, then 50%...'.
Anyway, I believe I have made my point...anything more would be 'beating a dead horse'.

Hah! We got to that point about page 6...

John

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Still curious about those deleted posts, John.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Still curious about those deleted posts, John.

And you have the guts to attack others, use their name like a insult, but do not have the balls to put your real name down.

This has to be one of the most funny threads on ST that I have ever read.

Thanks

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply

Prev Next