Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [SurfAwave69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
UPDATE:

The RD gave a better offer...this was just emailed out:

"After some consideration we are increasing the race credit amount from 25% to 50%. Additionally the credit will be good for any Big Blue Adventure event. The credit is valid until August 24, 2014 and is for registration fees, not USAT or processing fees.

Soon we will process the credits and you will receive email notification to the email used during the online registration process.

All the best from the Big Blue Crew"

WHOO-HOO!!!! Whining works!!!
Yay squeaky wheels everywhere!!!

So - are you satisfied with this resolution?

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Gary, as a Race Director, do you agree with the decision to give 25% off on next years race? What would you do in this scenario?

I would do whatever I could to make things right. After an athlete getting hurt, this is my worst nightmare.
/

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, why would they stop bitching now? Now the line will be it should be 75%.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

Plus hotel and fuel costs.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WHOO-HOO!!!! Whining works!!!
Yay squeaky wheels everywhere!!!

So - are you satisfied with this resolution? //

I've been following but didn't have time to chime in yet, but this new resolution was exactly what i would have suggested. I have been RD of over 60 events and i know what the costs are and can be, even if no race is held. I also know that you need to keep the peace with your clients. I think a 50% discount in any of their future races is right at the fair level. Everyone gets a little pain but no one gets the brunt. You have to keep the athletes in your game, but you also have to be able to keep that game going..Any bitching from here on out needs to go you know where..(-;
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Plus hotel and fuel costs.

Don't forget emotional distress!!

Smart move by promoter! They must follow ST.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [caf0] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caf0 wrote:
It appears his race fee was $80, that is why he has been offered $20 credit to a future race.
Maybe he entered the Sprint - early entry is $80.
He says he is out $225, so he is probably including hotel/travel expenses in that figure.

That is my take on the apparent discrepancies.

It would have to be. There is no race entry fee listed for any of the 4 events for $225. And he has yet to say which race he actually entered or when.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [Ajaxrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. We share some of the risk of loss by having race directors put on races for "reasonable fees". If refunds were a possibility, then we racers would need to pay much more for races.

Chris Harris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

Please, pretty please, with sugar on top -
SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY

You've made your point, ad infinitum. We get it.

Many have disagreed with your point, and provided actual, real-life insights as to why you are mistaken. RD's who run races, explaining just how little (if any) $ is "left over" when a race is cancelled.
And, armed with this insight - you keep on saying the exact same thing. Over, and over. Like a broken record.

The butthurt will go away. If you let it.

If I was a Race Director, I would not want you defending my decisions on message boards with this type of behavior.
if I were a regular race participant (and I am) I would not want you discouraging RD's from even bothering with your type of behavior. Specifically, whiny, upper middle class entitled bullshit. And I'm not even talking about the grand scheme of "hey, we're on the brink of war in Syria, this is all insignificant" eich coukd be pointed at every thread here of course,,,,,, I mean the specific circumstance of a massive wildfire ragign that is threatening many homes, with firefighters literally risking their lives in the situation, and all you can do is whine about missing a race and not getting your mney back, while apparently exaggerating the race cost and throwing your travel expenses into the mix surreptitiously. You claim to spend over $400 a month on races, while simultaneuously complaining that you make less than 100k a year. You sir, are precisely the embodiment of every negative stereotype of triathletes. You got your 25% increased to 50%. I really hope you're happy. But I doubt it. You come off as someone never happy or satisfied with anything really. Why should I care? Why should I bother to throw into the conersation if I find it so silly? Because theeads like this discourage RDs from bothering at all, and of more of who call you an entitiled douchebag get heard, maybe there is some hope that the bs gets drowned out.

===================================
I'll tell you all right now, my seat is too low, I'm not aero and I carry too much fluid on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [RunFatboyRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RunFatboyRun wrote:
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY

Many have disagreed with your point, and provided actual, real-life insights as to why you are mistaken. RD's who run races, explaining just how little (if any) $ is "left over" when a race is cancelled.
And, armed with this insight - you keep on saying the exact same thing. Over, and over. Like a broken record.

If I was a Race Director, I would not want you defending my decisions on message boards with this type of behavior.
if I were a regular race participant (and I am) I would not want you discouraging RD's from even bothering with your type of behavior. Specifically, whiny, upper middle class entitled bullshit. And I'm not even talking about the grand scheme of "hey, we're on the brink of war in Syria, this is all insignificant" eich coukd be pointed at every thread here of course,,,,,, I mean the specific circumstance of a massive wildfire ragign that is threatening many homes, with firefighters literally risking their lives in the situation, and all you can do is whine about missing a race and not getting your mney back, while apparently exaggerating the race cost and throwing your travel expenses into the mix surreptitiously. You claim to spend over $400 a month on races, while simultaneuously complaining that you make less than 100k a year. You sir, are precisely the embodiment of every negative stereotype of triathletes. You got your 25% increased to 50%. I really hope you're happy. But I doubt it. You come off as someone never happy or satisfied with anything really. Why should I care? Why should I bother to throw into the conersation if I find it so silly? Because theeads like this discourage RDs from bothering at all, and of more of who call you an entitiled douchebag get heard, maybe there is some hope that the bs gets drowned out.

+10

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RunFatboyRun wrote:
And I'm not even talking about the grand scheme of "hey, we're on the brink of war in Syria, this is all insignificant".

Hmmm. A "brink of war in Syria ... this is all insignificant". You do realize that our soldiers are still fighting a war in Afghanistan right? I do. My son is there. So significance/insignificance ... didn't change this week ... for some.
Last edited by: CPA_PFS: Aug 28, 13 12:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How can he be upper middle class if he makes less than $100K/yr?

~~kate
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dreaming~big wrote:

~~kate

Make $99K, rent and have no kids. You can make it rain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RunFatboyRun wrote:
SurfAwave69 wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:

SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY

I called him a "special snowflake"...does that count? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dreaming~big wrote:

~~kate
most of the country lives pretty damn comfortable lives on less than 100k.

I'll tell you all right now, my seat is too low, I'm not aero and I carry too much fluid on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [CPA_PFS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPA_PFS wrote:
RunFatboyRun wrote:
And I'm not even talking about the grand scheme of "hey, we're on the brink of war in Syria, this is all insignificant".

Hmmm. A "brink of war in Syria ... this is all insignificant". You do realize that our soldiers are still fighting a war in Afghanistan right? I do. My son is there. So significance/insignificance ... didn't change this week ... for some.
of course I realize that. The point was shorthand for news of the day, saying I don't even need to go to the broader world perspective to say how silly this debate is. The actual precipitating incident, the fire, is enough. Sir, I am more in tune than you realize with thise deployed in Afghanistan. Your son's risk is as appreciated as it can be here. I don't say stupid things iike "I know what you're going through" because I don't. My connections aren't as close as that. My son is still 6. But I am fully aware of the folks who would read this thread and WISH they had the kind of free time and lifestyle to warrant outrage over a canceled triathlon.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This really does suck... But it totally makes sense. People that are bitchin should move to Syria.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bt wrote:
RunFatboyRun wrote:
Why should I bother to throw into the conersation if I find it so silly? Because theeads like this discourage RDs from bothering at all, and of more of who call you an entitiled douchebag get heard, maybe there is some hope that the bs gets drowned out.

I called him a "special snowflake"...does that count? ;)
oh yes. It absolutely does.

Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [sellhammer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or China where kids get snatched off the street and their eyes plucked out for corneas sold on the black market. What the hell is wrong with this world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been following this thread pretty closely since I was signed up to race and I was curious to what the response would be. I understand why the RD cancelled the race, and also understand why they chose not to/can't/don't want to refund money or give a comped entry to a race next year. I didn't see this in the thread earlier, so my question is this:

In the emails sent out by the RD there was talk about possibly finding a date in 2013 to reschedule the events. When the calendar was full, the RD then offered the 25% discount (and now 50%) to a future race. If they had been able to find a date and reschedule the event in 2013, would they have charged the participants more money, or just taken the loss with putting on a whole new event? Meaning, was it even a legitimate possibility to try to reschedule, based on a lot of the reasoning I see here about the money being spent already?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get that it's the internet and it's easy to call someone a 'bitch', 'entitled', 'bitchy', 'butt-hurt', etc...but do you think this accomplishes anything? If athletes complained to a Race Director in person, do you think it would be a good idea for him/her to say: 'Aw, quit your bitching you entitled asshole...putting on these events is hard and I don't make much money, so let me take your money and quit bitching'

They're running a business and I'm a paying customer. You want the customer to return? Do what's right. Call me whatever you want, that's the way it works.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I said before, and restate again - your sole "contribution" to the ST community thus far, has been posting about races doing things that make you unhappy. That's it. Nothing else.

Thank you for this, it has been wildly entertaining.
I look forward to your future "contributions".

Can you understand why folks might use those terms regarding someone, who only ever complains?
Apparently not.

Anyway - I'm not an RD, nor do I harbor a single iota of a desire to ever become one. In large part due to people exactly like you.

No RD would ever say those sort of things in public.
But I sure wouldn't be surprised if they did in private.

So - are you satisfied with this resolution?

It's dramatically more than what the contract you signed entitled you to. Not that that should matter - nobody seems to care about those sorts of things anyway.
Everyone is a special snowflake, and the rules are for everyone else.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, you paid $80 for a race and bitch endlessly about how you have been wronged by a wildfire taking over half of California and cancelling a triathlon event. Get over yourself and move on. 25% sounds reasonable, that $20 will certainly go a long way to help reduce your costs for racing next year :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest I had no idea that this could happen, in terms of race cancelled flat out and no refund being issued. Thanks for posting. I’ll be paying more attention to the fine print going forward. I only race 4-5 times per year, and the race fees are a bit of a pain for me personally, especially lately.
I don't understand the animosity towards you. I'm sorry you have to deal with it, and hope it does not upset you.
Quote Reply
Re: Lake Tahoe Triathlon cancelled, no refunds [¨ă] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

$225 is a ton of money to me, so I too will be looking closer at the fine print next time around. It's humorous the amount of animosity those can have towards someone they never met. It's a shame.
Quote Reply

Prev Next