5 mile run to the gym
200 warm up
6x100
200 cool down
8 mile run from the gym
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was just in Tahoe--it's frickin cold, I'll tell you that. Are you going to swim the whole thing? Channel rules?
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Replying to:Re: July Swim Thread [trexleradam] by SHPost:Swam this AM...

2000 lcm -- all slow with some dive starts

I leave for Omaha, NE tomorrow.

What are you swimming at Omaha? Wish I was going.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [trexleradam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whole thing, but with wetsuit. Too cold and I'm too skinny.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [texafornia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a long way. I wouldn't have a chance of doing it sans wetsuit either, in any shape where I could run as well. That kind of distance swimming seems to depend on packing on the pounds.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [trexleradam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, being skinny with wetsuit is still colder than being fat with no wetsuit. There's a reason the open water big guns carry so much weight. It's a virtual wetsuit, as thick as you can put on the pounds.

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [OptimalAdrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5.9 mi run, 2200 yd swim

4 x 125 w/u kick the last length
3 x [4 x 75] (1) kds (2) kds IMO (3) 25 dr/50 s
8 x 100 on 1:40

felt like molasses

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2660 meters fly this morning, 1 hour. Managed a few more meters than yesterday.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
felt like molasses

Me too...i was molasses this morning ;) I have been for the past few weeks or so. My swimming has been off a bit the last few weeks. At first just because I was able to add back in running and cycling (acceptable), but the last week or two sicknesses compounded it (bad). I had approximately 1 month to cycle and run to get ready for a half, and somehow managed to get sick during that month when I am almost never sick. I came down with this same type of virus the friday morning I was leaving for this same race last year...

200 sw
100 bk
100 k
4x50 dr/sw

5x200@3:10
3x200 w/ paddles@3:10

100 k
100 easy mix

2400scy
Last edited by: mattbk: Jul 6, 12 9:03
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
4x800
1 - warmup/build
2- (100kick/50drill/50swim) x4
3 - swim, negative split (5:09-5:05)
4 - Pull, alternate breathing 3/5 by 100 (paddles + buoy)

100 easy

3300scm

-----
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [OptimalAdrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went out for another Nantasket Beach swim today (no Crusty Barnacles today). The water temp was probably in the high 60's, so I kept the wetsuit in the car. It was a nice swim. Got in the water, swam 15 minutes north, turned around and swam 15 minutes south. Then off to lunch with my wife.

Since everyone is adding their runs to their posts, I'll add mine. Ran the 4th of July 4.2 mile race on Wednesday in 26:17 (35/2000). Went out in 5:45 and faded back all the way in. Next up is the Providence Half Ironman on Sunday.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! I'm falling way behind. But not for lack of desire, pool had 2-day dive meet, 1 day maintenance, and a holiday closure so far this month.
Actually on the 4th it was open for a few hours as a combined rec swim/lap swim with maybe 3 or 4 lanes open. The pool is in a park where they have a huge celebration culminating in the city's big fireworks show. I bet it was a madhouse.

At lunch today, I got in the company pool with my wetsuit to clean the cobwebs out of it and get some moisture back into it for this weekend's race. This suit has seen better days. It's an original 1st year T1 - before the back zipper was added. The wrists are so frayed, I feel a wave of cool with every hand entry. The neck has so many little holes/tears around it, it's finally gotten easy to get up off over my head. One of the bib straps has nearly ripped through - held together with duct tape. So, since I've had this suit, I've always had trouble getting the legs off of my heels. It always gets stuck there, so the suit being in the shape it's in, I had no worries cutting 3 inches off the legs in a baloney cut fashion. My feet slipped right out in my practice strip. I bet I'll save up to 10 seconds in T1.

So I did 500 yards in the suit and 5x100 at 70% effort without.
1000 sc yardages

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well at least you are getting every last nickles worth out of that suit, i should have charged you more!! (-;

I got into a lake up here in seattle and swam with a local pro woman. We did a few 900 across the lake repeats, and she had one of those fancy garmins that measure distance and calculate pace for you. Stopped half way and we were at 1;11 pace, so like 1;08 in a SCY pool. She is tough, but it is always good to get in a nice wetsuit swim before any race. And what a great view, 10 toes and lots of bubbles!!

40 minutes OW, 60% suit, 40% skin to win!!
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know. That suit might be hurting me now. Tamarack Beach showed no mercy. Our wave was hit with some nice sized rollers on the way out - driving everyone into immediate anorexic mode. I let quite a few get ahead at the start knowing they'd be suffering later. I suffered, too, but was third to the turn, passed one guy and hung on the feet of the other. Felt I could go faster comfortably and soon was leading - our wave was 45 and up. This guy hung on my feet now (you sure you weren't out there, Monty?) and passed me swimming thru the surfline. The other guy passed me on the run up to T1.
The rest of the race felt fairly good, but I ended up in 4th with a time 6 minutes slower than last year. I'll have to see the splits to figure this one out. - perplexed

swim
500 w/u
1000 race

1500 yardages

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good job steve, i wish i was there. Instead i was at some exterra from hell course. 3 loops almost all single track, with at least a 1/2 mile each loop i had to walk up the 20% grades in the mud. If that was not enough, the run started with a 20% 1 mile climb on the mud, and never flattened out, it was brutal. I came up here thinking i was doing a sprint, ended up being a long olympic as the race took me 2;32.. Water was 55 though, so i had that going for me, and all the men started together and i got 2nd in the swim. Grabbed the wrong feet, some dude took off like a bat out of hell, figured he was the man, then 300 in he imploded and i had to chase the real leader to the end. Was only about 10 seconds short at the end, so that is what i'm taking away from my race, and that i beat up the old men in my AG for a really ugly win..

Mountain biking is fu&^%$& hard on tough courses!!I got all confident from the super easy wildflower course, and just figured that most the races could not possible be too hard, wrong!!!
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A buddy here at work races cross country and downhill and does well in his 40-45 AG. In his younger days, he was a BMX star. He bought a road bike and on our initialization/humiliation 1st ride with him, he kicked our asses. I guess Mountain Biking grows legs.

Not too painful this AM - post race. Just a stiff neck:

2x[50fr/100br] w/u
5x100 fr @ 1:30 1:12~1:07
4x100 IM kick @ 2:00
200 fr in 2:21
3x[100fr/100 br kick] fr in 1:09/:06/:07

2000 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First swim in a bit over two weeks due to travel. I certainly felt a bit off, hope it doesn't take too long to get back into the groove.

4x150 desc, 4x75 kick/drill/swim, 200 ez kick
16x25 back, odd 1 arm, even "long"
4x125 100fr/25br build kick per 25
2x { 50 kwf fast, 3x50 kwf ez, 100 kwf fast, 400 fr }
400 ez pull
3800 scy
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Fellow Fishes. I went to master's nationals this weekend up in Omaha, NE. It was pretty cool because we got to swim in the USA Olympic Trials pool, and more of my masters teammates went this time. I was satisfied how I did considering my knee has been screwed up. Being a breast stroker that doesn't swim breast stroke in practice didn't translate so well to the longer events. Here are the results...

50free -- 26.35 10th. (Lead off mixed free relay in 25.65 the next day -- way better race.)
100 breast -- 1:13:97 3rd.
200 breast -- 2:45:2 3rd. (ouch)
50 breast -- 32.40 2nd. (out touched by .10 -- ouch x2)
50 fly -- 27.51 4th.
200 im -- made flight out instead of swimming this event.

I was OK missing the 200im because I'm not really in that great of shape right now anyway. The 50s were really my best bet this meet.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice... did a mini meet in yards...

200 free 1:58 (controlled)
200 IM 2:11
100 bk 1:03
100 fly 57
500 free 5:08
1650 free 17:51

all done in 2 hours

did an 18:01 OW at Oly Dist Nationals swim (no wetsuit) Hawrelak Park pond is scuz. The course also hosted Pan Am JR &World Cup on the same day, so its pretty accurate.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It comes back real quick, faster than running and cycling for me.

1000s in 12:45
5x[100br kick@2:00/100s@1:30] 1:07/:06/:06/:04/:05
200 s/k cool

2200 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My normal swim workout this AM. (don't stop between sets)

1500m swim
200m kick
4 x 100 on/off (what I call it) swim 100m easy, right into a 100m at 90% race pace. today 100's on were 1:26, 1:27, 1:27 and 1:26
500m swim - alternate free & back

Pool was in upper 80's - so it was like swimming in a bath tub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was back in the water this morning after 3 days of riding/running (4 run + 19 ride Saturday; 12 run + 18 ride Sunday; 12 ride + 6 ride Monday)
I ran up/over a mountain and back this morning; I think it is 5 miles or so - followed by an hour swim (call it 4k) in the lake. :-)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: July Swim Thread [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good job. Those mini meets are kind of fun once you wrap your head around the fact that you're not going to PR in anything. Your 500 & 1650 efforts stand out to me as your best on that day. Those are good times.
Last edited by: SH: Jul 10, 12 17:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're having a kick ass summer workout frenzy! Good job!

5x100 mix s/k
100 1:06
200 2:24
300 3:38
400 4:50
5x100 alt br kick/s swims were 1:04 & 1:05
200 s/k cool

2200 sc yardages

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. Enjoying the lake so much.
11.5 mile run + 1500 yds in the lake this morning.

Quote Reply

Prev Next