Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
January/February Marathon
Quote | Reply
I'm toying with the idea of doing a marathon in the beginning of 2006. It really helps my training consistency to have a goal race.

I live in NY and would travel to just about anywhere in the U.S. Here's what I'm wondering:

For those of you from cold climates that have done a winter marathon, how did you find the training? A lot of treadmill work, or were you able to get the runs in outside? I can handle the cold, but a lot of snow/ice will force me inside.

Any race suggestions? Disney sounds too crowded and expensive, and the course doesn't sound great. Miami gets rave reviews on marathonguide.com. Phoenix is a possibility...don't like having to find my way back to the start though.

Do you think I would need to do anything to prepare to go from training in 10-30 degree weather (and the treadmill) to a 65 degree race?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: January/February Marathon [TriAlbany] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done it but I'd like to:

http://www.pesm.active.com/...fm?publicationID=313

Pacific Shorline Marathon

Chris

Chris
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
― Hunter S. Thompson,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vegas

early Feb

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'm toying with the idea of doing a marathon in the beginning of 2006. It really helps my training consistency to have a goal race.

I live in NY and would travel to just about anywhere in the U.S. Here's what I'm wondering:

For those of you from cold climates that have done a winter marathon, how did you find the training? A lot of treadmill work, or were you able to get the runs in outside? I can handle the cold, but a lot of snow/ice will force me inside.

Any race suggestions? Disney sounds too crowded and expensive, and the course doesn't sound great. Miami gets rave reviews on marathonguide.com. Phoenix is a possibility...don't like having to find my way back to the start though.

Do you think I would need to do anything to prepare to go from training in 10-30 degree weather (and the treadmill) to a 65 degree race?

Thanks.[/reply]

Not sure if it still happens but many years ago I did the Washington's Birthday marathon just outside Wash DC. Be prepared for everything weatherwise.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carlsbad Marathon, just north of San Diego, January 15th. They also have a half. http://www.sdmarathon.com/

can't answer your other questions about cold weather training.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well, i'm sure this isn't for everyone, but some friends and i have tentatively committed to the mardi gras in february. from what i hear, they plan on doing the race one way or another, and we thought bringing tourist dollars back to NO (if they can be ready) would be a nice way to support their regrowth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Miami Marathon last Sunday of January. http://www.ingmiamimarathon.com/ great location as yo ugo thru all the best parts of Miami.

Lee Zohlman, Lead Coach/President
BodyZen Multi Sport Coaching
http://www.bodyzen.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have cold winters in my neck of the woods and have done San Diego in January and Austin in February. I enjoyed both marathons - well organized, good courses, well supported, etc. I would reccommend either one. Both spots made for great winter getaways.

With respect to the training, there were definitely days when it was tough to get out the door due to cold, ice, wind, etc. and there were many dreadmill miles, but I actually enjoy running in the winter and in the snow. And training for a marathon over the winter gives you a great excuse to stay in shape and builds a nice base for next season.

Race temperature acclimating is the tricky part. Both of my experiences involved going from sub-freezing temps to race days in the upper 70s. Try to get to your race location a couple days ahead of time if you can and err on the side of being liberal in your hydration/electrolyte plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pacific Shoreline Marathon. This one is on Superbowl Sunday in Huntington Beach , Ca. I like the course and this year you get a free Sony MP3 player for finishing. Weather is mild even if it rains.

Course is flat with a few short climbs.

http://www.pesm.active.com/...fm?publicationID=313
Quote Reply
Re: January/February Marathon [cvillatri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hadn't looked at this one, thanks.

Biggest negative seems to be some parking issues. Along the ocean would be great.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: January/February Marathon [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim,

Is this now the "New Las Vegas Marathon" on December 4th? I was considering it, just a little earlier than I had been hoping (would have to blow off some of my Fall races in favor of long runs).

Thanks.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Houston in January
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. I am not an advocate for a marathon being great tri training, but if you are going to do one the dead of the off-season is the "best" time. If increasing run performace is a goal or running is a limiter right now, better to focus on an absolute best time at 10K or the 1/2 marathon.

2. Winter running, I live in Ontario, Canada and we can get some severe winter weather and frankly, I have never found it a problem. I usually got in my best base level running during the winter months. Would never be to concerned about pace, just got out and ran when I could. I would cut way back on the cycling and the swimming and for long stretchs of the winter all I would do would be to cross-country ski and run.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another socal option is the OC marathon, http://www.ocmarathon.com . This one's on January 8.
Quote Reply
Re: January/February Marathon [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I understand the concern about marathon training. Running is a big limiter for me. Plus, long bike rides between December and February aren't too much of a possibility.

Since an oly tri last month I have been focused on running, a half coming up in 2 weeks, a 15k a few weeks after that. I had then planned on going into prep/base mode for tri training, but...have this desire...may not happen, just looking into possibilities.

Thanks again.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oops...my bad.

forgot about the date change. i saw that in an active newsletter and it clearly slipped.

still...running the strip in that fashion would be kinda fun.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: January/February Marathon [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]1." I am not an advocate for a marathon being great tri training, but if you are going to do one the dead of the off-season is the "best" time. If increasing run performace is a goal or running is a limiter right now, better to focus on an absolute best time at 10K or the 1/2 marathon. "

Sorry to hi-jack the thread

Fleck,

would it be OK to PM you about this.
I'd like some advise.
Thanks,

Fish

Hey TriAlbany!

San Diego Marathon rocks! Great course.Not too challenging.Awesome crowds.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
      I did Miami the first year and it was great. It was my return to Miami, The Orange Bowl Marathon was my first marathon in 1982. The new one was even better. You'll love it. Or just stay home and do Hudson-Mohawk at SUNY Albany. It can be lonely and windy but it is fast.

Winter running is no problem. In fact winter is the time to get in your long runs, build your base. Some of my best runs have been with the winter running group around Woodstock. I'm going to miss those five mile laps from the village to the fire tower on Overlook Mt with Doug Freeze. My knees can no longer handle the run back down. The cold shouldn't bother you, in fact, after the first mile you'll probably be pulling off layers. I love winter running. Once you get used to it, you will too.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would imagine Albany (if your username is accurate) is as much fun as Burlington, VT or Amherst, MA was to train in during the winter. The biggest impact would be on your hard runs. Its nice to have access to and indoor track, but I suppose many people do get by with the treadmill. You could have a little more trouble than usual if your tropical destination has a warmer day than usual. 60's probably won't hurt, but if it creeps into the 70's (or 80's Miami) you could be in for a tough day with no acclimation.

That said I would definately do the Austin marathon. Nice point to point course (fast), moderate field size to give the feel of the race being event without overcrowding, and Austin is a cool city to hang out in after the race.

Keith
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Houston in January. Dead flat. Weather can be "warm" for a marathoner but usually OK for just about anyone else. Starts in low 50's and can warm up to 70-80.

fal7 in hurricane Houston
Quote Reply
Re: January/February Marathon [fal7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks...stay safe for the next few days!!
Quote Reply
Re: January/February Marathon [kemfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few votes for Austin now. I'll have to look into it. I am in the Albany area. I expect to be on the treadmill a fair amount, but when possible I'll be outside.
Quote Reply
Re: January/February Marathon [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the SUNY Albany one sounds kinda depressing! Multiple laps in the cold!

Thanks for the advice. Miami does get good reviews.

Jeff
Quote Reply
Re: January/February Marathon [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure - send me a PM if you like.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: January/February Marathon [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vegas is no longer in early February. It's now in early December. There's no 1/2 marathon and it's $95.

FREAKING HELL THAT'S EXPENSIVE!!!

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply

Prev Next