Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is this not the best triathlon pic of all time?
Quote | Reply
History was made that day my friends. Battle of the titans.

Quote | Reply
Freaks! ;-P

The picture would be better if the photographer would have lowered the center so that we could see their feet, and not so much sky...but, that's just personal preference, I guess.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Is this not the best triathlon pic of all time? [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GREAT Photo...but shucks, I was hoping it'd
be another hottie or something.

What do the women think of this one, btw ?

DB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, that is a tall order, but I have to agree. This photo- this race, was a huge inspiration for me in the sport. That was a huge day.

Also, this is probably a photo toward the end of innocence in endurance sports.

Triathlon is about many things, but this photo captures the competitve element to an enormous degree, especially for those who know the story and history that lead up to this moment.

Check this out:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/...orials/0000047.shtml

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Is this not the best triathlon pic of all time? [dan IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dan asked: What do the women think of this one, btw

Any woman that prefers that scrawny look sure wouldn't be interested in me!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well...if it's supposed to be a red X, i'd have to say yes. otherwise, not so much ;)

why do i get the dreaded red X at times?

k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A great shot and a great day for the sport of Triathlon.

It's always a special occaision when the two absolute best arrive at the same race in the best shape and the same frame of mind. There are so many variables that this is indeed, a rare event.

I was there myself that day - albeit way behind these legends( 9:40 finish for me). That was when the run course made an almost straight shot out and back on the Queen K hwy to a turn-around point out near the airport. As I seem to recall the turn-around point was a giant blow-up Bud-Light can!!. Anyway, I recall distinctly, when Allan and Scott crossed my path as I headed out to the turn. There were the two of them running side by side, shoulder to shoulder as in this pic and then a huge entourage of press and race followers people in cars, bike and trucks. The there was a HUGE gap back to second place.

I feel gratefull and lucky to have been there to see that first hand.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Is this not the best triathlon pic of all time? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, who finished third that day? I don't think I've ever heard.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Is this not the best triathlon pic of all time? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Great read. Thanks for sharing.

I heard that there was a brief exchange between Dave and Mark that day in '89. Apparently, somewhere on the run course, they passed Julie Moss who at the time held her and Mark's then infant sun Matts, aloft and said something like, " Do it for Matts". Dave, still not a father at that point turned to Mark and said, " Now that's not fair"!

I had the pleasure of going for a 10 mile training run with Dave a few years ago. He was complaining of being out of shape, but we still banged out a hard sub 7:00 min/mile run. As I was standing in the parking lot chatting with him after the run, I could not believe that I was looking at someone who was 47 years old. The face, the body, the fitness level did note match the chronological age at all.

Fleck

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to say I have the utmost respect for both these individuals. I spoke at length with both of them following the now defunct Vancouver International Triathlon. What amazed me is that both of them liked to listen to the person they were chatting to (including me) more than they liked to talk about themselves. They both displayed a genuine interest in others.

Thanks for the article Tom. Dave Scott has and always will be my favourite. He truly set the mark in triathlon. Mark Allen may have won more key races but let's face it, all the triathlon elites, including Mark were chasing him for a long time. His IM finishing times in IM were leagues ahead of the rest.

P.S. Who did come in third?

Last edited by: AJHull: Jan 26, 05 9:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I met Dave at a Triathlon Club of San Diego bash about 10 years ago. I was a complete dork and so in awe of him I looked foolish. He was gracious and open,talking to me for a while and answering my newby questions. He's amazing.

Colin

Bollocks....I'm knackered - Eammon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
classic

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought it was the opposite? That Dave Scott's wife ran along with their baby son in her arms, and Mark said 'that's not fair'..
Quote Reply
Re: Is this not the best triathlon pic of all time? [freestyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I think that you could be right. It was a 50/50 call on that when I posted. Point was that, that was the only exchange all day long.

Fleck

Quote Reply
Re: Is this not the best triathlon pic of all time? [Robert Preston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Out of curiosity, who finished third that day? I don't think I've ever heard.

RP
A young kid named....Greg Welch.

Wilfried Heinle

Artificial Intelligence can never beat natural stupidity.
Quote Reply
Re: Is this not the best triathlon pic of all time? [WHeinle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
A young kid named....Greg Welch.
...who will be inducted into the Triathlon Hall of Fame on Feb 5.

http://www.churchofcycling.org
Quote Reply
Re: Is this not the best triathlon pic of all time? [dan IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great photo, incredible athletes. Hotties? No.

I saw Mark Allen in the LA airport in 2003. We were both on a plane to Hawaii - me and my husband were going on our honeymoon, Mark was covering IMHI for NBC. (The timing of our honeymoon was not accidental.) He's one of the skinniest people on the planet. Fit - no doubt, but ultra skinny. Too skinny for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a framed cover from Triathlete magazine, Oct. 1990, that has a similar picture. Been on my dresser for most of the last 14 years.

"It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the pic of Ken Glah and Pauli Kiuri sprinting to the line of IMNZ years ago has got to be the best. (sorry I don't have access to it right now) Both of them lunging for the line and with an official time difference of right around 1 second, plus the look on both their faces tells it all.

Two guys jogging together in Hawaii comes a close second though :-)

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats still THE Best IM EVER!!!

Dave Scott is my favorite Alien from another planet.
They broke the mold after him...and he continues to be one of our sports greatest ambassadors.

Hey Tom D....don't know you..I'm not a customer ..yet.
But, that was a terrific editorial...thanks for the link.

I have the 25th anniversary DVD of IM 03 that has a section of The Duel..great to watch while on the Cyclops...can a DVD wear out?

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you go to the Phuket Tsunami Recovery Auction, you can bid on an autographed copy of it.....

http://www.cmarket.com/catalog/itemDetail.do?ID=7c9f98b091ca36012184547017085534
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, it is the best triathlon pic of all time. I am the proud owner of a framed copy autographed by both Dave & Mark. I got it as a gift from my tri club after serving as president. It was acquired with the help of Bob Babbitt. It is one of my proudest possessions.

Gary MC

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<< I was there myself that day - albeit way behind these legends( 9:40 finish for me).

that was my first Hawaii, and I was 12 minutes behind Fleck at the finish. Steve, remember when I came up behind you early in the bike. We hadn't seen each other since high school, 10 years earlier, and then we meet up again in Hawaii. Hard to believe that another 15 years has passed when it seems like not long ago we were running the high school meets against each other, 25 years ago. And wasn't it just a couple of minutes after you did that run with Dave Scott that we sat down and had breakfast in Penticton, about 6 years ago?

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Re: Is this not the best triathlon pic of all time? [Mike Plumb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike,

Indeed, where do the years go?

That was a weird day in '89. I also recall pulling up beside this guy on the bike that I thought looked a lot like Kenny Souza. Upon closer inspection - It was Kenny Souza. As soon as I pull even with him, he say's,"That's it for me" pulls over to the side of the road and drops out!

I am grateful and thankful for those years of hard running in highschool prior to getting into triathlon. Quite frankly, the principals learned then, have proved to be invaluable over the years. Bottom line - it's less about gimmicks, toys and theorys and more about consistant hard work.

Fleck

Quote Reply
Re: Is this not the best triathlon pic of all time? [davet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better bid high, I'm in for the long haul to win this bid. Z
Quote Reply

Prev Next