Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Is a Normatec really worth it?
Quote | Reply
Hello folks I have a quick question - is a Normatec PCD really worth the cost or usage? Debating whether or not I should buy one for recovery, but it's a huge investment on my end.

Please share your thoughts from both a user and non-users standpoint

Cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [bumpme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I researched them a while ago and couldn't find any convincing evidence they're any benefit to healthy people. They're good for pathological conditions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bumpme wrote:
Hello folks I have a quick question - is a Normatec PCD really worth the cost or usage? Debating whether or not I should buy one for recovery, but it's a huge investment on my end.

Please share your thoughts from both a user and non-users standpoint

Cheers.

Recovery boots is the number one addition to my training this year and is a big part of why for the first year in a long time I didn't have a chronic overuse injury arise. It actually lead me to being a little over trained in April and falling performance. In previous year I had always tried recovery boots at a race and the rep always set the pressure way too high for me and I felt like my eyes were bulging out of their sockets. With that being said, I am now hooked, but you don't necessary need to go with Normatec. The Air Relax system is very nice, small and portable, and effective at 1/6 the price.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Last edited by: Thomas Gerlach: Jul 16, 16 7:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I echo some of what Thomas said. I used Normatec a bit in the past and really liked them but couldn't justify the price. Just seemed like a luxury that wouldn't yield a good ROI. I did sometime later come across Podium Legs which is what Thomas linked to. I own them. They are a cheaper version. I used them a lot in the beginning but don't use them near as much now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like all recovery aids there is some controversy over whether they interfere with the recovery process by reducing inflammation. I, however, figure that until I see all the ProTour teams selling theirs on EBay, they are probably a net benefit. Your legs will certainly feel less crappy the next day. This probably explains why Thomas found himself over trained.

The Normatec's are by far the nicest. The quality of the construction is so much better than the cheaper alternatives and when I have tried them they seem to be more effective. I bought some of the Sports Pump ones that were about 800$, but if I had the extra cash....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are they worth it? Only you can decide if they are worth it to you.

I've had mine for about 3 years and use them every day. I do feel they help my legs feel less trashed the next day. I'm currently in them now as I type this. 70 mile ride this morning and have a long run tomorrow. I won't feel the effects of todays ride during tomorrow's run.

People have mentioned they have used them right before workouts and have noticed benefits. Personally have never done this (not enough time for me).

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on your other race/training equipment and financial situation, there is certainly a compelling argument that there are better uses for that money.

Having said that; I bought one last year when I upped my training volume and I love it. I feel like it does improve my recovery, particularly after hard efforts like intervals. How much of that is placebo effect, I don't know. It feels great to use, and it forces me to lay down for a while and just rest.

They also seem to hold their value fairly, if you want to resell it down the road.

I have read on slowtwitch before, and find this myself; sometimes the biggest challenge is just finding the time to use them.
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 i had an itu pro stay at my house, who has been finishing top 20 this year. his normatec is laying on his back with legs up on the wall. if you are a desk job monkey with your own office, then normatec makes sense to use during work. as they say, sitting is the new smoking. wish they had these things on air planes
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
...desk job monkey

Stay classy.
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What setting have you decided on? Was eye bulging working for you?
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [captain-tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
captain-tri wrote:
synthetic wrote:
...desk job monkey

Stay classy.

i used to be one it has ruined my back and eyes. now i do manual labor and love it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using mine for over a year and love it. I've had many workouts where my legs were trashed and 30min in Normatec and legs felt so much better.
If you go to a rev3 event, give them a try and you can get one for around $200-$300 cheaper. Or look on eBay. That where I got mine.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Purchased mine a year ago (demo model and $500 cheaper than retail price), they are great especially after a hard workout and on weeks when you have a lot of volume. Legs feel fresher the next day after an hour on those. Do they work, yes; are they expensive, yes. I'd say best bet is to get a cheaper demo unit and a only if you plan to have the need for them (long rides over 50-60 miles; long 15+ mile runs). If you're training for Olympic, forget about them and get wheels, training for Half, nice addition, training for full, highly recommended.
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the air relax as well, my only issue is the zipper digs into my feet as it curls down when inflated. Have you found a fix for this other than wearing socks?
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [raceboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wearing mine now. best way to take a nap!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
May want to look back at this thread:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...air%20relax#p5896742

Particularly the post by stephanl...some great deals on eBay if you look!

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually got these and really like them: https://www.amazon.com/...cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0

There are other brands that have the same central system and charge much more. I got the XL boots so that all of my quads were covered and they are awesome. I am 6' and my wife is 5'2" and we both use the XL. Great option. I also tried the Air Relax, but didn't like them as much, quality of the boots were less, powercord was pretty short - but it did have a remote.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used them before and after my IM last Sunday. I am going to tell you this: fresh legs in the morning of the race; and the walking next day was a total non issue because I used them after the race. Work great
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YES! (insert long approving post here)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love mine
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [vikingmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love em and swear by them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back in the day when I worked as a field medic, we used this device called PASG, which seems like a manual version of a normatec. I think that pneumatic anti shock garments that were used in training are less than $100 on ebay. I wonder if they provide similar benefits.
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [caffeinator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone figured out if you can use HSA/FSA dollars for a normatec or similar? It's a "medical device." Anyone tried?
Quote Reply
Re: Is a Normatec really worth it? [Crazy Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crazy Legs wrote:
Has anyone figured out if you can use HSA/FSA dollars for a normatec or similar? It's a "medical device." Anyone tried?

No idea, I know the Air Relax system is cleared as FDA Class II Medical Device. For Normatec they seem to have a device that is specifically labeled as medical device, where as the Normatec system that we see advertised and used is targeted specifically at athletes.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply

Prev Next