Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman and divorce- the real truth
Quote | Reply
So, currently we have the Open Letter to unsupportive spouses with a lot of response.

I was most curious when I read AndyPants's response and basically that ironman changed her. She became more aware of what she wanted and needed and decided her relationship was not going to cut it anymore.

So, I then wondered... Is this the common scenerio? I always thought it was the unsupportive spouse that couldn't put up the the racrs training and lack of time at home. I never thought it was the racer who found they grew apart from their spouse.

So, give me the 411. I was told ironman had a 50% divorce rate, on top of marriage already having only 50% success rate. Let's inspect a little into this matter.
Last edited by: jharris: Sep 17, 12 4:23
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
. I was told ironman had a 50% divorce rate.

Marriage has a 50% divorce rate.

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couples that train together stay together.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
I was told ironman had a 50% divorce rate.

Wait a minute! Ironmen divorce at the same rate as non-Ironmen??? I thought we were special ...

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could see it either way.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:

X2. The only time I was married, I found out too late that I was in trouble when I realized his idea of exercise was drinking coffee :-(

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I got married we had both just quit smoking and neither of us exercised at all. About 5 years into my marriage is when I started running seriously and went on to longer and longer distances. For the first couple years he would come to my important races then his last race he attended was IMCdA in 2008. Our divorce was final in March.

I think any time one spouse is very passionate about something and the other isn't fully bought into it there are problems. He is big into guitar/mandoline/uke and singing. I'd go to open mike nights, etc. Drove him wherever he asked me to. Spent more time in music stores than I care to think about. But it still wasn't something I was as passionate about as he is.

It isn't just Ironman. Ironman can teach people they are tougher than they thought and maybe that is enough to get them out of a dead marriage. But a lot of things can do that. Training 20 hours a week would only highlight whatever problems already existed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Last edited by: JenSw: Sep 16, 12 22:53
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
I thought we were special ...

Common problem for triathletes.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
jharris wrote:

I prefer to say that marriage has a 50% successful stay-together rate.

(I know it's the same thing but more of a half-full kind of feeling.)

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wednesday will be 20 years married, 12 years as an "IronMan." She was real supportive the first 4-5 years, when I was compulsive and competitive. But I didn't have any other (too) bad habits, and generally was either sleeping, working, training, or spending time with her and the kids. But even "when I qualified for Kona" (love working that in anywhere possible), I never trained more than 12-13 hours/week - unless I took a day off work. Now, it's all about the teenagers...and what they have going on. I wouldn't want to miss a lacrosse game, swim meet, or trip to Starbucks for a 6-hour bike ride. Overall, I feel (pat myself on the back) that IronMan / Endurance events has and continues to benefit our family greatly. It keeps my head straight, and helps me live in a balanced way that is good for my family. My wife has done one triathlon in her life, and is mainly a walker and tennis player. Once a year, we all go to a tri in the mountains - I'm long past they entire family (or she) needs to be at one of my races. Anyhow, I'm sure nowdays she's just tired of me saying "I'm just fat, old, slow, and hairy." So I'm working on that - motivated (originally) by LA's comeback (gasp!!). Did I mention that I once qualified for Kona? It was the same year I qualifed for Boston.

Damn, that's a cold ass honkey.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
jharris wrote:

Take the 50% divorce rate for marriage, then apply the 50% divorce rate or Ironman to those that stay married.

In other words, people doing ironman are splitting in half the success they began with only 50% possibility.

But, I am more interested in WHO asked for divorce. The spouse, or the ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think a huge factor in that study would be the age of the married couple, and how long they have been married. I think the question is which came 1st?... ironman training? or a marital problem? For me its the old " chicken or the egg" question.

In my case, I think we started drifting apart before ironman training came into play. We got married in our early 20's, had 3 kids by 28, worked 60hrs a week and raised the kids...and when they went off to college I realized I didnt have much in common with my wife anymore. We still get along, we dont fight, have great sex...love each other like old friends but we arent "crazy in love" like we were 25 yrs ago.

I think the void in my life started before I filled it with triathlon...its a healthy midlife crisis for me...not sure where my marriage will be in 5yrs but ill still be training :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't see the perspective of having to have the spouse follow along to races or participate in other hobbies. A married person is allowed to have their own life and in a secure marriage the spouse shouldn't be so needy as to have to have the other participate in all their activities. It's nice once in a while yes. Necessary? No.

OTOH, bitching about the spouses hobbies and inhibiting participation is a big No No. Been going strong 22 years of marriage this way.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Sam Apoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sam Apoc wrote:
JSA wrote:
I thought we were special ...

Common problem for triathletes.
He is very special :0)

Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [CruseVegas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CruseVegas wrote:

Could not agree more! I'm extremely fortunate that my wife shares my passion for multi-sports (she's a triathlete, and although I do tri's as well, I do consider myself a duathlete first and foremost). On a sunny day, I see my neighbors out laboring in the yard (and most guys do look miserable...), yet, we rather let the flowerbeds fall apart and go for a long nice ride, together of course! We might be the only couple that works on the yard only when it rains... life style choice, yes, but that wouldn't work if we didn't do it together.

I've had some pretty big "bucket list" races and during my training for those, my wife has reduced her training volume so she could take on a larger portion of the house work. Right now, she's training for 1/2IM in January, so I've reduced my volume to take on the brunt of the house work, allowing her more time to train.

... and who said triathlon is not a team sport?! :-)

"Suddenly the thought struck me. My floor is someone elses ceiling"-Nils Ferlin
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
CruseVegas wrote:

X2. The only time I was married, I found out too late that I was in trouble when I realized his idea of exercise was drinking coffee :-(

This thread certainly has potential, but I'll add that there is perhaps a slight difference between men and women in terms of what we want from our spouse in terms of traithlon participation (or maybe it is me).

When I was training for IMC in 1991, I started dating my wife. I was also working full time and doing a business degree at night school. I put the cards on the table and said, "This is the way it is.....don't try to change me". Back then she also did some of the sports but not to the same degree, but I think she always got that being active was an extension of my personality. When my son was born, I obviously had to curtail the training activity and over time figured out how to make it less intrusive on family life, but like all couples it was a source of friction, but over time we found a sweet spot.

I don't need my spouse to workout with me, rather I'm happy she lets me do my thing with great backing. When I am out training, like when I was in the armed forces, it is like hanging out with my "unit" (rather than with my family) and the guys I train with become the extended family (and I like it that way). We both have our interests and balance each other off, with our strengths adding to family life and our weaknesses being overcome by the strengths of the other (or the occaisional prodding, but that's part of being married).

So all that to say, I don't think that most guys need to train with spouses, in fact, they probably get more enjoyment training with the guys (rather than hanging around the bar with them and getting drunk). We get boys night out but we're doing something productive too :-)....oh yeah, and so much for "don't try to change me"....21 years later, I've hopefully changed for the better, so the trick is you want him to believe he is not being changed and change him along the way and soften him up without him knowing it :-) (maybe I should have put that in the womens forum....)

....and in the end neither spouse will be able to do this sport. Our relationships have to be about more than the sport, because when it ends, then you have nothing left. In the mean time, support each other in what makes us excited and who we are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Paulo Sousa wrote:
jharris wrote:

Take the 50% divorce rate for marriage, then apply the 50% divorce rate or Ironman to those that stay married.

In other words, people doing ironman are splitting in half the success they began with only 50% possibility.

But, I am more interested in WHO asked for divorce. The spouse, or the ironman.

Why are you upset with statistics? Odds ratio is 1.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of this could be litigated by smarter decision making

Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
I don't see the perspective of having to have the spouse follow along to races or participate in other hobbies. A married person is allowed to have their own life and in a secure marriage the spouse shouldn't be so needy as to have to have the other participate in all their activities. It's nice once in a while yes. Necessary? No.

OTOH, bitching about the spouses hobbies and inhibiting participation is a big No No. Been going strong 22 years of marriage this way.

This^^^^!

19 years in and this is our approach.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer86 wrote:
knewbike wrote:

This^^^^!

19 years in and this is our approach.

x3.....just behind you guys at 18 and we're on the same program (not perfect but it seemingly works for many) :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If a marriage fails because of one of the people's exercise habits then there is an underlying problem that would have ended in a failed marriage regardless.

Quote | Reply
Let me start off and say I have been with my wife for more than 22 years it's all I know. That being said I have raced mt bikes in college and have been a gym rat since 1995. My wife couldn't care less how my races go or training and I really don't expect her to because I race for me and my health. Where the problem comes in is time and money. Bikes/gear and races cost money and with three kids there really is never enough to go around. My wife wouldn't care if I bought a new M5 but god forbid I get a P5 (you know we all want one) . So all I really have to say is that I still have no idea how to navigate this subject.

BTW - Patriots fan - season tickets 4k plus superbowl every other year (had to throw that in) 5k
- Golf wow this one is expensive 120 a round 20 weeks plus the yearly trip with the guys 10k
-Baseball see above (patriots)
- Hockey fan OMG expensive 40+ home games 100 per plus beer and food ouch

All of the above are typical weekend hobbies that have little to no health benefits unlike trainning for a TRI

I use this forum to vent so thank you!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paulo Sousa wrote:
jharris wrote:

What Paulo said. Ironman racer = just as likely to get divorced as anyone else in the population, but at least they will have something to keep them occupied if they do. Choose wisely.

Brad Stulberg
Author, Peak Performance
http://www.BradStulberg.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [Bstulberg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Einstein got divorced, are you saying you are smarter than Einstein? :-)

"if you chose it, it's not really pain"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman and divorce- the real truth [d-elvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d-elvis wrote:
Einstein got divorced, are you saying you are smarter than Einstein? :-)

Yeah - I'm not married! (...but I did just get engaged...haha)

Brad Stulberg
Author, Peak Performance
http://www.BradStulberg.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next