Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobAllen wrote:
As for the Ottawa event, I think the success of the event will be a factor of the course and the base location. As a past local (1 hour away) race director I worry about some of the great local events surviving the next few years.

I had a chat with a friend about this yesterday. As much of a triathlon town Ottawa is, I think Ironman's huge profile stands to bring even more new local triathletes into the sport.

This would help local races (Somersault top of mind)...at least that's what I hope/expect. They don't compete with Ironman, they offer smaller events that a lot of Ironman athletes will use to either build their skills over progressively longer distances, or build their season up to a 140.6 crescendo. Adam is a great race organizer, and I wouldn't be surprised if he saw this as welcome news.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Isn’t it pretty narrow at Bank St?

What about starting a little closer to 5th avenue and using Landsdowne as a transition area?

Bank street would be a great run (if a bit hilly to start), but I suspect they'd have trouble closing it to traffic. If you were doing transition at Landsdowne, they could easily just put the run on the run path next to the canal - assuming QEW is used for the bike. 2.5 loops around the canal and by the Parliament buildings, ending at Confederation gives you exactly 42km.

Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 16, 24 6:45
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it will be a miss if the run course doesn't include Wellington/Sussex.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
As much of a triathlon town Ottawa is, I think Ironman's huge profile stands to bring even more new local triathletes into the sport.

Chatting with 3 neighnbors who did Tremblant 70.3 last year. When I mentioned it, they looked at each other and "ya, let's do it".

So we need to get a Ottawa 140.6 aero testing camp on the parkway this summer.
Last edited by: marcag: Apr 16, 24 6:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
timbasile wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:
Isn’t it pretty narrow at Bank St?

What about starting a little closer to 5th avenue and using Landsdowne as a transition area?

Bank street would be a great run (if a bit hilly to start), but I suspect they'd have trouble closing it to traffic. If you were doing transition at Landsdowne, they could easily just put the run on the run path next to the canal - assuming QEW is used for the bike. 2.5 loops around the canal and by the Parliament buildings, ending at Confederation gives you exactly 42km.

I would think they'd have to figure out a solution for crossing the canal. I don't think they'd have weary Ironman athletes crossing the locks...it's kind of sketchy.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. Its a cool experience when you're 100%, but I think you're right about having athletes on hr 16 try to cross might be a bit dangerous. Maybe down Prince of Wales?

They used to have a big accessible bridge at Hog's Back that they built while Hog's Back bridge was under construction that was wide enough to bike over if you were feeling confident, which would certainly work. That was Pre-Covid, so I suspect its all been removed by the city. But obviously they wouldn't re-build it just for this.
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 16, 24 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It wouldn't take much to build a temporary structure. Look at the ones they build for pedestrians/spectators at Tremblant.

*Anything is Possible*...so we are told.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lansdowne/TD place would be a great spot to host it. huge great lawn, Aberdeen Pavilion, Horticultural Building and lots of restaurants.
Last edited by: Drags29: Apr 16, 24 9:38
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Drags29] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.ironman.com/im-canada-ottawa-course

Split transition. Bike all on Ontario side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s_SzwxUufE

Last edited by: RobAllen: Apr 16, 24 11:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So is the finish line in front of Chateau Laurier?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
or in front of Parliament Hill.

Interesting course. 10 years ago, I would have done it. No interest in sitting on a bicycle for that many hours.

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like they will need a flyover/runover @ Wellington/Lyon as the bike course and run course cross each other.

The course is well done. Better than thought but having the 2 transitions opened up so many more possibilities.
Flat/Flat/Flat
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [georgereid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georgereid wrote:
or in front of Parliament Hill.

Interesting course. 10 years ago, I would have done it. No interest in sitting on a bicycle for that many hours.

I just watched the Ironman video and the finish is in front of Parliament Hill. Pretty cool route overall. Lots of funny turns though. (ie. bike is 2.75 loops)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Now that it's out - interested to hear from the locals what they think of the course!
swim - clean water? (probably, I mean it's Canada, not AZ)
bike - good pavement?
Run - they say it's flat but it doesn't look flat

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [MtnBikerChk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim - clear water, they had a tri at that beach for many years. Also a very popular 3km swim that ends just north of the beach. Done both a number of times.
Bike - roads will be very good. It is pretty much flat with minimal risers occasionally. Very fast. Also, roads used for different tri/du venues for many years.
Run - similar to bike but not much shade. Sunny afternoon will cook.
Last edited by: RobAllen: Apr 16, 24 11:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some parts of Colonel By and Queen Elizabeth are a bit rough

Run is pancake flat except for the inclines to the round-about past Dows lake and up Wellington to Parliament
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RobAllen wrote:
Swim - clear water, they had a tri at that beach for many years. Also a very popular 3km swim that ends just north of the beach. Done both a number of times.
Bike - roads will be very good. It is pretty much flat with minimal risers occasionally. Very fast. Also, roads used for different tri/du venues for many years.

That was one of the first things I thought of when the rumours started. Could be a VERY hot run that time of year late afternoon!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RobAllen wrote:

Thanks!!

I've been looking for a replacement for Tremblant. This looks like it fits the bill.

Any run for me feels like I'm walking on the surface of the sun. Guess I'll have to do much better at heat acclimation this time.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [MtnBikerChk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim is pretty to clean. I swim there all the time.
Be happy it is not in filthy canal, like some people seemed to want ,😊
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Does that mean two different transition locations?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What hotels would be best to look at, to be as close as possible to expo/race start etc??
Thx!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just some quick replies from press conf.

2 loop swim.in Briattania Bay, T1 at Briattania beach

Bike up to Carling ave and down to SJAM Parkway and then 2+ 3/4 loops going all the way to end of rockcliffr Parkway in east and going south on QE Parkway to PRETORIA bridge

T2 downtown near city Hall.

Run two loops of Col By + QE driveway up hill to Experimental farm

Looks like finish line near Chateau Laurier/Parliament Hill

I will post images of maps later but it may already be online now

Priority registration opens this afternoon general reg next week

Kona and Nice slots TBD. They said Aug 3 race date is on transition between qual years so your either doing an IM crammed in before this year's world's or you literally have 13-14 months for 2026 world's

Three year deal for starters

No 70.3 as the focus is selling out other 70.3s in region

Mayor Mark Sutcliffe asked if he can put a relay together and run the marathon haha
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:

Does that mean two different transition locations?

Yes - T1 is on the very western tip of the bike leg, while T2 would be close to Parliament hill/City Hall
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 16, 24 12:07
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Kona and Nice slots TBD. They said Aug 3 race date is on transition between qual years so your either doing an IM crammed in before this year's world's or you literally have 13-14 months for 2026 world's

So would 2025 race be for men in nice/women in Kona?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Just some quick replies from press conf.

2 loop swim.in Briattania Bay, T1 at Briattania beach

Bike up to Carling ave and down to SJAM Parkway and then 2+ 3/4 loops going all the way to end of rockcliffr Parkway in east and going south on QE Parkway to PRETORIA bridge

T2 downtown near city Hall.

Run two loops of Col By + QE driveway up hill to Experimental farm

Looks like finish line near Chateau Laurier/Parliament Hill

I will post images of maps later but it may already be online now

Priority registration opens this afternoon general reg next week

Three year deal for starters

No 70.3 as the focus is selling out other 70.3s in region

Mayor Mark Sutcliffe asked if he can put a relay together and run the marathon haha

Any mention of a 5150 being part of the weekend like they do at some places (including Tremblant)?
Quote Reply

Prev Next