Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
buzz wrote:

nah we put the bike turnaround at kazabazua, feed at the binerie

Kaz-Croute!

I'd love to see it on the Ottawa side, but I just don't see a viable swim option with space for transition, mainstage, expo etc.

But you never know...sometimes Ironman has fragmented races with swim and/or T1/2 in different spots.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
buzz wrote:


nah we put the bike turnaround at kazabazua, feed at the binerie


Kaz-Croute!

I'd love to see it on the Ottawa side, but I just don't see a viable swim option with space for transition, mainstage, expo etc.

But you never know...sometimes Ironman has fragmented races with swim and/or T1/2 in different spots.

There is a lot of room between Westboro beach and Champlain bridge.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok...it's obviously happening, and it's obviously going to be on the Ottawa side of the River.

Check out this quote from Lesley Pincombe, VP of Business & Major Events for Ottawa Tourism in Jan 2024 - “...We have so much green space and we want to host maybe an Ironman or triathlons using our canal, our waterways, and our roadways. We have over 800 kilometers of bike paths here."

Source: https://www.sportspromedia.com/insights/interviews/iihf-world-junior-championships-2025-ottawa-hosting-strategy-ice-hockey/


Not sure how this quote didn't create more buzz at the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
....aaaand Ironman just gave a hint that an annoucement will be coming tomorrow for a new event in the NorthEast...and shows a Canadian Flag.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
....aaaand Ironman just gave a hint that an annoucement will be coming tomorrow for a new event in the NorthEast...and shows a Canadian Flag.


Yep. And based on what you can see looks like "Ironman Ontario"
08/03/2025
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bulldog15 wrote:
christianlee wrote:
....aaaand Ironman just gave a hint that an annoucement will be coming tomorrow for a new event in the NorthEast...and shows a Canadian Flag.


Yep. And based on what you can see looks like "Ironman Ontario"
08/03/2025

I think it is:

IRONMAN
CANADA 🍁 OTTAWA
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
bulldog15 wrote:
christianlee wrote:
....aaaand Ironman just gave a hint that an annoucement will be coming tomorrow for a new event in the NorthEast...and shows a Canadian Flag.



Yep. And based on what you can see looks like "Ironman Ontario"
08/03/2025


I think it is:

IRONMAN
CANADA 🍁 OTTAWA

99.999% for sure Ottawa/Gatineau try to book hotels now and already sold-out. July 31st-Aug 4th 2025 Can only mean that Ironman already pre-book many hotels!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My spare room is available.

We have a few Kickrs, a treadmill, a running path (rail trail) behind the house and a Masterspas Swim Spa.

I'll start the bidding at $500/night.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
....aaaand Ironman just gave a hint that an annoucement will be coming tomorrow for a new event in the NorthEast...and shows a Canadian Flag.

Where did you see the announcement?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Re: hotels. If you look a month prior it is the same. Some hotels don't release their rooms more than a year in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
christianlee wrote:
....aaaand Ironman just gave a hint that an annoucement will be coming tomorrow for a new event in the NorthEast...and shows a Canadian Flag.

Where did you see the announcement?

It's on a few regional IM Facebook pages. Here is link to IM Lake Placid's page:

https://www.facebook.com/...LoC/?mibextid=oFDknk
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobAllen wrote:
Re: hotels. If you look a month prior it is the same. Some hotels don't release their rooms more than a year in advance.

I think this is probably the case
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If they're already closing Wellington for the bike, it wouldn't be a huge stretch to have the run go in front of Parliament hill so you can get the action shots of running by there. Use the river pathway to get there.

Plus, all the big running races finish at Confederation/City Hall, so it wouldn't be a stretch to have the race finish down that way, either.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since the announcement of the announcement is out, you all post your questions on the thread. I got an invite from the organizers at Ironman to join the launch press conference tomorrow (Tuesday 16 April). Fire away and I will try to ask whatever the can at the event tomorrow
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 

given that the obc had to can the grand prix, which is not that many people, for just a few hours, and had quite a lot of history, just because of park usage issues, i can't see an ironman using it.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Could they something out Carleton University?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Since the announcement of the announcement is out, you all post your questions on the thread. I got an invite from the organizers at Ironman to join the launch press conference tomorrow (Tuesday 16 April). Fire away and I will try to ask whatever the can at the event tomorrow


Where is the press conference?

I'd like to know how many years the agreement is for, and if it's organized by Ironman NA or if it's a license/franchise event like Muskoka

Will it be part of the Pro Series in 2025?
Last edited by: christianlee: Apr 15, 24 11:40
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Could they something out Carleton University?

Ironman usually want an iconic setting for their races.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Since the announcement of the announcement is out, you all post your questions on the thread. I got an invite from the organizers at Ironman to join the launch press conference tomorrow (Tuesday 16 April). Fire away and I will try to ask whatever the can at the event tomorrow

If the swim is in the canal will they allow snorkels?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Since the announcement of the announcement is out, you all post your questions on the thread. I got an invite from the organizers at Ironman to join the launch press conference tomorrow (Tuesday 16 April). Fire away and I will try to ask whatever the can at the event tomorrow


If the swim is in the canal will they allow snorkels?

Really I would love an out and back from NAC to Pretoria bridge and back with a T1 right on QE driveway. For one day a year, that water is no worse than pretty well everything I have raced at in Europe. It can't be worse than Paris Olympic 2024 in the Seine. It is effectively the same water as Dow's Lake....just not sure how much city run off hits canal directly, but I am guessing the additional water quality drop off from Dow's lake to NAC is from City water run off in the rain from streets. I don't THINK any untreated sewage hits the canal like it does in the Seine.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Since the announcement of the announcement is out, you all post your questions on the thread. I got an invite from the organizers at Ironman to join the launch press conference tomorrow (Tuesday 16 April). Fire away and I will try to ask whatever the can at the event tomorrow


If the swim is in the canal will they allow snorkels?


Really I would love an out and back from NAC to Pretoria bridge and back with a T1 right on QE driveway. For one day a year, that water is no worse than pretty well everything I have raced at in Europe. It can't be worse than Paris Olympic 2024 in the Seine. It is effectively the same water as Dow's Lake....just not sure how much city run off hits canal directly, but I am guessing the additional water quality drop off from Dow's lake to NAC is from City water run off in the rain from streets. I don't THINK any untreated sewage hits the canal like it does in the Seine.

I'm thinking a long weekend in August though will have a lot of boat traffic. Not sure they would want to close that off and could be gassy.

The worst water I've swum in:
1. IM Arizona - nasty cold canal. Great for people who were watching the race though
2. IM Texas - warm, and just gross. Smelled like compost.
3. Kingston Tri 2023 - water quality was good, but you had to swim through very high weeds for the last 100 or so metres. Much preferred when we jumped off the ferry/boat

The best:
1. Cozumel
2. Tremblant
3. Nice
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The sewage issue used to be the river - since that's where the runoff goes if there's a huge storm that exceeds the old city's single drainage system. Though they've since upgraded their facilities so now it needs a much bigger storm to dump sewage.

I think the issue with canal is more the lack of water movement and shallow depth and so icky things tend to grow (moss, algae, etc.) vs in the lake. Its probably perfectly fine, but would *feel* gross. I haven't done the Ottawa canal, but Mooney's bay (which feeds the canal) is perfectly fine for swimming.
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 15, 24 12:06
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Since the announcement of the announcement is out, you all post your questions on the thread. I got an invite from the organizers at Ironman to join the launch press conference tomorrow (Tuesday 16 April). Fire away and I will try to ask whatever the can at the event tomorrow


I suspect most of my questions will be announced tomorrow anyway, but...
  • Who's the RD?
  • How long is the deal for?
  • Route/locations?
  • Is this IM only, or is there a 70.3 with it?

And also the most important thing... How many Kona/Nice Slots? :)

ETA: (If the mayor is there) Ask if Sutcliffe if he's doing it!
Also, can we get the LRT running early on race morning?
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 15, 24 12:53
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, this is it. I'm assuming that for an event of this size they could probably open the locks at the Chateau end a few days before and pull fresh water from up the Rideau. It's no different from what they do for the skating (drain/fill).

For Superleague 2019 they also dragged the swim area to get rid of weeds.

Canal swim would be UNREAL for spectators, the water would be calm, and it would be right downtown.

I disagree with out/back. Too much risk of head-on collisions. It's not that wide and a lot of people are terrible at sighting.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Ottawa ? [christianlee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
christianlee wrote:
Yes, this is it. I'm assuming that for an event of this size they could probably open the locks at the Chateau end a few days before and pull fresh water from up the Rideau. It's no different from what they do for the skating (drain/fill).


No way that the city is that coordinated that they're thinking this through. This is the city that didn't run the LRT last year for the marathon because no one told them to do so, and then when people inquired if it would be running, they said that they weren't given enough time to adjust the maintenance schedule, as if the date isn't known in advance.

Canal would be NCC jurisdiction anyway - so you're putting in another government layer. Though you might be involving them for the parkways anyway.
Last edited by: timbasile: Apr 15, 24 12:30
Quote Reply

Prev Next