Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview
Quote | Reply
I put this together for my bike blog on my LBS website, thought I'd share it here as well.

Last week I had the opportunity to ride for the first time, and race, the new Ironman Canada bike course in Whistler, BC. It being such a new course, there really isn't a whole lot of information to go around on it. So to help future years of riders and athletes, I thought it would be prudent to provide a technical analysis of what athletes should expect on the course.

The route is just under the full 180km distance, and at least in 2013 was closer to about 178km. The total elevation gain is a whopping 1972 meters according to the barometric altimeter on my Garmin Edge 500. Initial accounts of the course had the total ascent pegged closer to about 1300 meters, which was a pretty gross understatement of the course's difficulty. According to Strava, the course has a number of Cat 3 and 4 climbs.

I'll say from the get go, one of the most valuable tools you can have in your inventory for a ride like this is a powermeter. I can't stress enough how important energy management is on this type of a bike course, which many seasoned triathletes have already dubbed one of the most challenging bike courses in the entire Ironman series. While the climbing may be equal to other routes like Ironman Mont Tremblant, St. George, or Couer d'alene, its the layout of the route that will get you. The vast majority of the climbing is condensed into two long ascents, one early in the route, one that'll take you right into T2. The potential to burn matches on this route is pretty high.

Secondly, even some of the strongest cyclists I know on this route opted to run 11-28 cassettes on their rigs. I ran an 11-28 with a standard crank and found myself dipping into the 60 and 70rpm ranges to try and keep around 180-200 watts, which would be about the top 1/5th of the field and set me up for a very good marathon. Anyone riding longer than 6 hours should be considering a compact crank with an 11-28 cassette. That being said, there is also quite a bit of descending on the route and the many varying grades would make a pretty good case for an 11 speed transmission. With my gearing I found myself spinning out a couple times and hitting about 76kph. The secret to this ride is being a smart cyclist, if you happen to be a very smart and strong cyclist, you'll be laughing when you hit the marathon.

A course like this also probably presents a pretty good case for aero road bikes with tri bars, but I wouldn’t’ say that you absolutely need to go there unless a road bike is your only option and you can get into a good riding position for triathlon with it.

Here's a link to my Garmin Connect file if you'd like to follow along as I go through the course.

If you prefer Trainingpeaks, here's a link to that file/workout.

The Start

The ride begins in T1 at Rainbow Park, on the shores of Alta Lake, Whistler's alpine swim venue. From km 0 to km 22 the route undulates and rolls a fair bit but ultimately descends about 160m. This is a great section to find your legs after the swim, settle your heart rate, and maybe start taking some calories in. It's a fairly easy section and athletes basically have entire lane to themselves for each direction of travel. I'm not going to say much about this section because it's pretty straightfoward.

The Callaghan Climb

This is where the real fun begins, at around km 22, you take a sharp right, hit an aid station, and begin the long ascent up Callaghan Valley road. The climb is about 13km in total with about 410m in elevation gain for an average 2.8% grade. The pitches along the climb vary from just over 0%, to a steep as about 10%. There are very few sections where it actually flattens out.

Here you'll want to hit that first aid station at the beginning of the climb and settle back into a pretty easy gear and be ready to sit up and patiently make the climb. I'll caution you here, when you've spent 6 months training for a 180km bike ride followed by a marathon, you're going to feel great 22km into a ride after tapering for two weeks. I played leap frog with so many riders who I knew weren't as strong a cyclist as me here and wanted so bad to lean over and whisper to them that they should calm down, but its not my place, it's their race. At this point in this course you should be riding very conservative and you should at least begin this climb with almost no pressure on the pedals.

The beauty of having a power meter is that it allows you to basically flatten out the course by enabling you to keep your overall wattage pretty flat. Whether you're riding uphill, downhill, or flat, you can ride at XYZ watts and know that you're remaining within your means. It was the riders with powermeters who were often getting passed here because they knew how little they had to work. Before my first Ironman, Jordan Rapp was telling us all about how to ride up Richter in Penticton, and he told us he'd often be making the climb and have other guys blasting by him, everyone wondering what was up with the pro that they just passed. Well, by the time they hit the rollers, their legs would be toast and Jordan would breeze on by. It's about riding smart, not strong.

After a little while, you hit the peak, cross the timing matt where all your friends will wonder what happened to your bike split, and begin your descent. I averaged about 20kph up this climb, and 44 kph down it. So you make up plenty of time on the descent.

Callaghan to Pemberton

From the bottom of the Callaghan descent about about km 45, to Pemberton at km 90ish, you're mostly descending, but once again, its fairly undulating and rolling terrain. Unlike the rollers at Challenge Penticton, the climbs here are short and shallow and actually make it difficult to notice you're net ascent until Whistler. After you pass through the crowds at Whistler and the area where you started, you begin the long descent down towards Pemberton. As you pass through Whistler the highway turns from the Sea to Sky highway into Highway 99, which athletes have entirely to themselves for the duration of the bike leg of the race. This is pretty awesome and one more reason to love the residents of Pemberton and Whistler, they're basically allowing you to maroon them in their communities for the better part of 10 hours.

This section is almost entirely downhill and is punctuated by only the odd brief climb. I should say however that the single steepest sustained pitch on the entire route is on this section. It's a 9% grade for almost half a km and will easily have you out of the saddle dancing your bike back and forth to keep your effort low. I kept my effort to about 210 watts here and did the climb just under 10kph, to give you an idea of just how abrupt this climb is. It seems to come out of no where, and there's no understating how important it is to just take this hill slowly and methodically.

At a number of points on this section you'll be taking advantage of whatever your biggest, baddest, and fastest gear is here. Going back to the whole powermeter thing here, if you can stick to a solid target wattage on the downhills in this section you should be able to make up a pretty decent amount of time through this section.

I'll also mention that this is a great time to take in some calories, stretch your legs and back from time to time, and look up and take in Whistler's stunning natural beauty. You're nestled in the mountains here and some of the views are truly stunning through this area.

The Pemberton Out and Back TT

At the bottom of the descent you'll pass through Pemberton around the 92km mark and pick up your special needs if you have any. From Pemberton you head north-northwest on a long flat section. It's a 50km stretch with just 4m of elevation gain through the whole thing, so its about as flat as you'll ever see. This is the only area on the entire route where the pavement left a little something to be desired. There are aid stations, porta-potties, and everything you need to recharge here.

If you've ever wanted to know what it's like to be in a time trial, this is it. It's flat and straight and you can do this section with your eyes shut if you wanted to. Through here its ever important to dial in your aero position and get small in the wind. On a course with so much up and down you're often spending a tonne of time going slowly with no aero benefit, or too fast for you to care about your aero penalty. Through this section, relax your body, allow your skeleton to support you on your bars, and think small, like an arrow piercing through the wind.

My one gripe about this section this year was the amount of drafting that I saw on the course. The Ironman draft rules are explicit, you have to leave 7m (4 bike lengths) between you and the guy in front of you, once you enter that 7m zone you're in the draft box and have 20 seconds to make the pass. And once you're in that box, you MUST make the pass. Once complete, the guy behind you is responsible for dropping out of your draft box. Since this is the only flat section where you reasonably could draft for any long period, there were a lot of athletes drafting and moving in packs. As a weak swimmer and a strong cyclist I passed about 700 riders on the 180km bike route, so I get to see a lot of riders. Through this section I was moving from one peloton to the next. Now I know that everyone is supposed to race their own race and not care about the moral decisions of others, so the cheating part of this doesn't really bother me, but the safety issues are what get me going here. Ten or twelve middle of the pack triathletes riding three abreast and 4 deep in aero bars with hands away from the brakes is a recipe for disaster and make it near to impossible for riders to safely get around them. I saw once guy go down hard, and a number of riders overlap and clip wheels and nearly take entire groups with them. Unsafe, it's just unsafe, and I would hope that next year the marshalls are strict on this.

As you come back from the 50km out and back you'll pass through Pemberton again, hopefully having made back some time for what awaits you. When you go through here, be sure to give the residents and spectators a wave and a thank you. It's by their grace that we have the entire road to ourselves, and they're stranded in Pemberton until about 6pm because of it.

The Pemberton Climb

Around the 145km mark you'll begin the climb. There's so much anticipation and hype to it I really can't think of a whole lot to say around this part. It's about a 25km ascent, often into the wind which comes out of the south. It's really the part of the ride that keeps the athlete honest. From Pemberton into T2 you'll cover about 30-something kilometers and climb over 750m. In and of itself this isn't an earth shattering climb, it's the fact that you've just ridden 150km and are about to run a marathon that makes it sort of a beast.

All I can say here is have patience. About three quarters of the total climb is spent at a 0-2% grade, but the other quarter varies between 5 and 8%. That's enough of a chunk that it'll shut you down for the run if you aren't careful. Be methodical in how you apply your efforts through this section. Let the tough guys go and be content with catching them on the run. If they blast past you and you never see them again, then they're a stronger rider than you anyways.

Like I said, this section just keeps athletes honest. There's no secret to being a good cyclist and triathlete and a strong climber other than hard work. If you do your homework, and spend time in the hills during your training rides, and mix that with a strong dose of patience on race day, you'll have no problem with this section.

Conclusion

This is the approach that I took and I was very happy with my bike split overall. Honestly, you can make up enough time on the downhill and flat sections if you ride smart that on a net basis this hill will maybe take about 20 minutes off of what youre bike split would be on another course. I ended up riding 5:50 on the bike leg of the race on a normalized average power of 180 watts, when I raced Whistler my ftp was about 280 watts. Based these numbers I nailed my goal of doing the ride at about 68-70% of my threshold and with a TSS score of about 280.

The conservative approach on this course allowed my to run a sub-4 (barely) marathon and pass 188 other athletes in the process. In my humble opinion, Iron distance triathlon racing is all about the bike. You spend more than half of your race in the saddle, and when you get out of the saddle those legs have to keep you going for another 42.2km. So you're best served to spend a lot of your training hours getting strong and smart on the bike and make that Ironman ride the easiest ride of your entire season.

The Whistler bike course is one of the most beautiful and challenging routes I've ever ridden. The residents of Whistler were simply amazing at providing support through their volunteers and their cheers on race day and they deserve a huge thanks for this. I had an amazing time racing this course and look forward to riding it again one day.

Raf
http://www.shutuplegs.org
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [raflopez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I've bookmarked this post and plan to read it over and over as I prepare for Whistler 2014.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice summary. Definitely agree that a power meter and good understanding of your goal pace is essential.

I would add/challenge a few points.

- 11sp drivetrain makes no difference to climbing or descending speed. Only difference is one more gear option in the mid range.
- aero road bikes are definitely not needed on this course. A properly fit tri bike is just as easy to climb as a road bike. The course has no technical descents, except the one switchback which is quite easy. You really want a comfy aero position for the flats.
- don't underestimate the climb from Callaghan back to whistler. Some decent sections on the 10k stretch, not a good time to ignore the power and hammer with the crowds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raf,
Spot on review of the course. I'm not used to riding a hilly course like this coming from Houston, TX so I was worried about how I would handle the ride. My goal NP was 200 watts (FTP was ~ 285 watts come race day). My philosophy was to ride the ascents as easily as I could (try to keep it 220W or under which was hard to do on some of the steeper climbs), coast the descents, ride the Pemberton flats at goal watts and ease up the last couple miles once we were done with the real climbing... and hope everything averaged out to where I wanted it to be.

Bike time was a shade under 5:44. My final NP was 205 watts (AP was 189W so VI was 1.08), IF=.72, TSS was about 300 (which had me worried but I was okay when running).

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point on the 11 speed drive train. You're absolutely right. I was just thinking if people were used to their normal range and wanted to add a 28 then it'd be an okay option. But you're totally right, not absolutely necessary, and honestly, given the compatibility issues 11-spd brings up, unless you have plenty of dough to shell out (which many riders here obviously do), probably not worth the upgrade. On the point of having lots of coin, I was amazed by the number of tricked out P5's I saw there. I had nothing but envy for the 60+ guy who was riding a P5 Six Di2 with Zipp 404's and Garmin Vector pedals...

As far as the aero road bike, I saw a few converted S5's out there. But for slower riders or people who don't like to spend a tonne of time on the TT bars who are in the market for a bike for a race like this, I feel like a bike like the S5 or a Venge might be a good happy medium. For any experienced rider or anyone going sub 6:30, no need for aero road bikes, but with all the ascending and descending, others might benefit from the cross breeds IMHO.

Good point on the Callaghan back to Whistler. Totally agree.

Raf
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GMAN19030 and GreatScott, thanks for the comments! Glad to hear that it was spot on/had value.

Gman, powermeters are a godsend on courses like this. Nice bike split, what were you riding out of curiosity?

There were a lot of guys out there from TX. i guess we have hills, you guys have killer heat!

Raf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great overview. I totally agree the power meter is essential for this course. I'd add that anyone planning on racing this course would do well to preview it prior to the race to gain a better appreciation of the Pemberton climb. The guys who passed me early in the bike on Callahan clearly didn't know to save their legs for later in the ride!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Outstanding look at the course! It is an amazing course to be sure.

I had the opportunity to ride it 3 times before the race, all in much tougher conditions. We lucked out on wind. It makes it much more difficult. Anyways, I rode without a powermeter, as I get TOO lost in numbers and prefer to race by feel. Am I leaving things out there, perhaps, but this was my plan...

Out of transition, I went hard (breathing heavy on the climb) because I wanted to be ahead of as many people as I could for that little descent. It wasn't as scary as I thought, but there were 400 less people in front of me out of the water than Penticton last year. This made it a LOT easier. I cruised down to the turnoff to Callaghan at a pretty good pace, then climbed very conservatively to the turnaround. I descended fairly aggressively, just enjoying passing people and feeling fast :) and then was fairly conservative to Whistler. I was then aggressive again to Pemberton, because I was very comfortable on the descents, and knew I could make up time without frying my legs. The flats were to be conservative and I was. The drafting was horrible, and I was caught behind the 3rd pack (I believe) and was never going to catch them. I understand your comments on safety, but part of me (the part I'm working on) thinks if they are going to cheat, and crash, that's their fault. It was blatant. From Pemberton on my goal was to go hard. Honestly, I had ridden it into headwinds twice, and I knew I could make up time. I think one person caught me going up to Pemberton, but I passed a bunch of the packs coming back.

In the end, I rode 5:18, obviously no clue about power. I also felt I could run well off a hard last 20 miles. I ran 3:20 so that was a sign for me that I am on the right track.

Cannondale Slice with compact crank and 11-25. Used it all. 11-28 with standard next time would probably be my choice for the extended downhill sections, but I was happy with gearing for the most part.

Just another idea on how to race it. Is my way right? Who knows, but really happy with plan and execution. If only I wasn't in 35-39 I would've met EVERY goal!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would add that the fastest descents were from T2 to the turn up to Callaghan on 99. I think I had my top speed right before the turn...47mph.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
raflopez wrote:
I ended up riding 5:50 on the bike leg of the race on a normalized average power of 180 watts, when I raced Whistler my ftp was about 280 watts. Based these numbers I nailed my goal of doing the ride at about 68-70% of my threshold and with a TSS score of about 280.

GMAN19030 wrote:
Bike time was a shade under 5:44. My final NP was 205 watts (AP was 189W so VI was 1.08), IF=.72, TSS was about 300.

I'm always amazed when I see these numbers. I just completed my second tri-season, and my first riding with power. So, still very much in the learning phase. I averaged 198W, with NP of 210W, at Penticton for a bike split of 5:56. Riding a Scott Plasma 2, with Flo 60/90 and an aero helmet. My position is a typical MOP 40-44; a bit high and could be better, could be worse. I was aero throughout the day, except when climbing. I raced at 178lbs. How do you (I) ride a 5:50 on a tougher course at 180W?

Scott
Last edited by: GreatScott: Aug 31, 13 13:39
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably power to weight ratio. I was ~150lbs on race morning. FTP is 270. I averaged 176watts and came in at 5:41.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the review RAF,

I read everything about this course before coming out from NH and made sure every ride all summer had well over 1000 feet vertical for every 20 miles. I also rode from the Village to the top of Callahan on Thursday so I would feel comfortable through the entire first part of the race. When I left T1 I knew that this was my best shot yet at Kona having done a good swim for me at 1:12 and feeling real good. Even so I watched the power like a hawk and got passed constantly on the uphills but kept the power on steady at all times. I sailed past folks on the flats and downhills. My new P5 really helped as well and this was the first time I raced with the Supersonic tires. Man those things are fast. Heading back from Pemberton I even remarked to a few of those passing me like I was standing still that I was going to take my time because I planned to run fast. I also did not like the big packs. I caught one near the turnaround and since I refuse to draft I went round them and a few miles later a guy comes up to me and asks me if I knew that I was dragging 40 guys down the road. I laughed and said something about being the old guy. (I'm 53 and the pack was mostly 30 something's.)
The one thing about this course I would like to let folks know about is that on the way back to Whistler there is a downhill that really needs to be ridden with caution. I should have paid more attention when we climbed it but it is a serious S turn and I went into it too fast. The P5 has great brakes though and handles like a dream so I was fine.
The ride was about 5:31 which I was VERY happy with but by being so diligent avoiding power spikes I was able to run 3:41 and get my first Kona slot. Anyone trying to find the best IM venue on the planet should seriously consider this race.

Carl Hefflefinger
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
178lbs....

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raf and gman-

Was wondering if you could share your weight on race day or watts/kg for your bike split? Just trying to get a better feel of what will be needed in 2014.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [heffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heffle wrote:
The one thing about this course I would like to let folks know about is that on the way back to Whistler there is a downhill that really needs to be ridden with caution. I should have paid more attention when we climbed it but it is a serious S turn and I went into it too fast. The P5 has great brakes though and handles like a dream so I was fine.

Carl Hefflefinger

To be fair to the race organizers, there were two or three volunteers plus signage there. But yes, the toilet bowl is the only time I used my brakes outside of the turnarounds and the finish in town.

Congrats on Kona qualifying! AWESOME job!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
raflopez wrote:
On the point of having lots of coin, I was amazed by the number of tricked out P5's I saw there. I had nothing but envy for the 60+ guy who was riding a P5 Six Di2 with Zipp 404's and Garmin Vector pedals...

The last guy out of the water (he didn't finish the bike) was riding a P5-6 loaded down with gels, bento box and what looked like 3 tubes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
raflopez wrote:
Good point on the 11 speed drive train. You're absolutely right. I was just thinking if people were used to their normal range and wanted to add a 28 then it'd be an okay option. But you're totally right, not absolutely necessary, and honestly, given the compatibility issues 11-spd brings up, unless you have plenty of dough to shell out (which many riders here obviously do), probably not worth the upgrade. On the point of having lots of coin, I was amazed by the number of tricked out P5's I saw there. I had nothing but envy for the 60+ guy who was riding a P5 Six Di2 with Zipp 404's and Garmin Vector pedals...

As far as the aero road bike, I saw a few converted S5's out there. But for slower riders or people who don't like to spend a tonne of time on the TT bars who are in the market for a bike for a race like this, I feel like a bike like the S5 or a Venge might be a good happy medium. For any experienced rider or anyone going sub 6:30, no need for aero road bikes, but with all the ascending and descending, others might benefit from the cross breeds IMHO.

Good point on the Callaghan back to Whistler. Totally agree.

I wouldn't dismiss the 11s option quite so quickly. I usually ride compact plus 12-25 10s. For this, as I put aeros and bar end shifters on, I decided to move to 11s. With Campy the 12-27 is the 12-25 plus a 27. That suited me fine, as it gave an extra sprocket (which i used a lot) but allowed me to keep a max of a two tooth increment on the cassette. Had I gone for > 25 with 10s, I would have ended up with a 3 tooth jump, which I would not have liked.

As for aero road vs tri, I tricked out my SLC-SL: switched the seat post head, Adamo saddle, -6 to -17 degree stem with 1cm reduction, plus a Vuka front end and a disc cover at the back. For me this gave a very comfortable yet fairly low set up which I could hold for most of the ride and maintained some resemblance to my road bike feel (though handling took some getting used to). I'd count myself as an experienced road rider, went 5:47 in the 45-49 Ag with ave power of 169W at 169lbs. So I guess I fit your "no road bike" profile anyway.
Last edited by: Greg66: Aug 31, 13 16:15
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On race day I was 157lbs give or take a pound, 180 watts NP, 176 watts average I think.

Was riding a trek speed concept 9 with zipp 404's, Rudy project wingspan, decent aero position but not super aggressive.

Raf
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I was one of those guys with a tricked out P5 but life is about choices and until 10 years ago I did not swim and didn't own a bike. I worked 70 to 80 hours a week building a business and just running road races because that's all I had time for. Now I spend half my time working and half my time training and couldn't be happier with the life balance.

We live in a geat country (whether you live in Canada or US) that allows us to make these choices and accomplish just about anything.

Funny about the last guy out of the water though. I kept an old aluminum Elite bike for 9 years until I thought my triathlon strength was good enough to not be "that guy".
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
5:47 on 169 watts is pretty awesome. I think you've got To have the quickest split on that power range here.

Raf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ha! That made me pull the file into WKO and check. 189, not 169 average; NP 209. Maybe a few too many power spikes in there for my own good.

My bad on the 169. Apologies.
Last edited by: Greg66: Aug 31, 13 15:57
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha I was thinking you must have bought one one if those Cervelo TestTeam Speedsuits for $50 at the expo tent.

Raf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I had thought it would have given me 10 minutes, I would have!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
raflopez wrote:
GMAN19030 and GreatScott, thanks for the comments! Glad to hear that it was spot on/had value.

Gman, powermeters are a godsend on courses like this. Nice bike split, what were you riding out of curiosity?

There were a lot of guys out there from TX. i guess we have hills, you guys have killer heat!

My 2011 Trek Speed Concept 9.9. It was its final voyage as my 2014 Trek SC came in this week.

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [instigator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
instigator wrote:
Raf and gman-

Was wondering if you could share your weight on race day or watts/kg for your bike split? Just trying to get a better feel of what will be needed in 2014.

Thanks!

I was about 165 lbs on race day.

Quote Reply

Prev Next