Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [PeteDin206] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeteDin206 wrote:
raflopez wrote:
On the point of having lots of coin, I was amazed by the number of tricked out P5's I saw there. I had nothing but envy for the 60+ guy who was riding a P5 Six Di2 with Zipp 404's and Garmin Vector pedals...

The last guy out of the water (he didn't finish the bike) was riding a P5-6 loaded down with gels, bento box and what looked like 3 tubes!

I saw that bike in transition.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [raflopez] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think for stronger riders the 11 is more important than the 28.

I went with 11-25 in Wistler and there was only that one switchback hill on the way to Pemberton that I felt like I needed another gear and that was over in 30 seconds anyway.

I was first AGer out of Pemberton, and 2nd into T2 and I used the 11 a lot. its essential for this course to be ridden fast IMO. I have always been of the opinion that they should provide an 11 with every power meter. If you are reducing your efforts up the hills all the time, but not increasing them on the downhills, then the pM might be making you slower!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine betteredgertime from IMC from 2years ago by1 hour and qualified for Kona. Very excited for her.

On Power, I can understand maintaining on uphill
but how do you manage on downhill?

Thanks

Cervelo R3 and Cannondale Synapse, Argon18 Electron Track Bike
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I rode a 5:38 on 186w AP/208w NP at ~170lbs.

Cannondale Slice with HED Jet 5s w/cover + Zipp Vuka Cockpit. Looks like this:

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [cervelo-van] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just ride my biggest gear at target wattage until I run out of gears. So like the previous poster said, the 11 tooth cog is probably just as important as a 28 on this course. Could make up a tonne of time having the right gear for the descents here.

At the penticton course when you hit the rollers you end up playing leap frog with riders pushing up the hills then just coasting down the other side. Makes way more sense to try and keep the target watts up the ascents and putting down whatever your gearing will allow as close as possible to target wattage on the other side. You often end up getting repassed on the ascents for the first little while, but by the end of the ride you'll often end up ahead.

Raf
http://www.shutuplegs.org
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
owen. wrote:
Interesting, I rode a 5:38 on 186w AP/208w NP at ~170lbs.

Cannondale Slice with HED Jet 5s w/cover + Zipp Vuka Cockpit. Looks like this:

My moving time was exactly the same as your's. I stopped twice... once to re-lube and pee and once to pee and let a peloton pack get a couple of minutes away from me as I didn't want to play their game.

Last edited by: GMAN19030: Sep 1, 13 16:22
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [GMAN19030] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I was one of the slower bikers(life happens) but did any one get stung by any massive stinging insects? I got stung/hit just above the right corner of my glasses coming past the special needs bags area the 2nd time just before the aid station in Pemberton and before the climb? My right side of face was swollen and had a black eye from it.

Russell

Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [russllmar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That happened to me 3 days before the race on the lip. Not fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My training partner got one of these on these on the left thigh, through his shorts I think, 4 days pre race. Huge swelling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got stung somewhere about halfway back to Pemberton on the flats. I'm always amazed at how those little buggers can get a sting off when they just bounce off you at high speed. I still have a swollen spot on my finger.

Carl
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [heffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got stung on both hands in almost the same spot on each hand.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup, got stung once two days before the race at Rainbow Park (caught the little bugger in the process and pulled him and his stinger off me). And then twice on the ride, once descending towards Pemberton, once on the out and back from Pemberton. Both those times they flew in through the neck of my jersey and stung me by my HR monitor. Just grabbed the spot where I felt the sting through my shirt and crushed whatever was in my hand. Ugh.

Raf
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [TriZag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

GreatScott wrote:
raflopez wrote:
I ended up riding 5:50 on the bike leg of the race on a normalized average power of 180 watts, when I raced Whistler my ftp was about 280 watts. Based these numbers I nailed my goal of doing the ride at about 68-70% of my threshold and with a TSS score of about 280.

GMAN19030 wrote:
Bike time was a shade under 5:44. My final NP was 205 watts (AP was 189W so VI was 1.08), IF=.72, TSS was about 300.

I'm always amazed when I see these numbers. I just completed my second tri-season, and my first riding with power. So, still very much in the learning phase. I averaged 198W, with NP of 210W, at Penticton for a bike split of 5:56. Riding a Scott Plasma 2, with Flo 60/90 and an aero helmet. My position is a typical MOP 40-44; a bit high and could be better, could be worse. I was aero throughout the day, except when climbing. I raced at 178lbs. How do you (I) ride a 5:50 on a tougher course at 180W?

Scott

TriZag wrote:
Probably power to weight ratio. I was ~150lbs on race morning. FTP is 270. I averaged 176watts and came in at 5:41.

I see bike splits on this thread of 5:40 - 5:50 at Whistler with average power of 175w - 190w. For example:
5:25 at 214w and 172lbs (1.25) - Jctriguy
5:30 at 202w and 165lbs (1.22) - Coopdog
5:38 at 186w and 170lbs (1.09 w/lb) - Owen
5:41 at 176w and 150lbs (1.17) - TriZag
5:44 at 189w and 165lbs (1.15) - GMAN
5:47 at 189w and 169lbs (1.12) - Greg66
5:50 at 176w and 157lbs (1.12) - Raf

My 5:56 at 198w and 178lbs (1.11) at Penticton leaves me scratching my head, wondering what I am missing. Perhaps Whistler and Penticton are comparable after all?

Note: edit to add subsequent entries.
Last edited by: GreatScott: Sep 1, 13 15:53
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
I see bike splits on this thread of 5:40 - 5:50 at Whistler with average power of 175w - 190w. For example:
5:38 at 186w and 170lbs (1.09 w/lb) - Owen
5:41 at 176w and 150lbs (1.17) - TriZag
5:44 at 189w and 165lbs (1.15) - GMAN
5:47 at 189w and 169lbs (1.12) - Greg66
5:50 at 176w and 157lbs (1.12) - Raf

My 5:56 at 198w and 178lbs (1.11) at Penticton leaves me scratching my head, wondering what I am missing. Perhaps Whistler and Penticton are comparable after all?

There is a lot more to it than just power-weight ratio,, and people usually use w/kg, makes the numbers seem bigger ;)

Position is a huge factor over 5-6 hrs racing. How you move around to drink and eat can make a difference. Did you stop at special needs, or blast through all the aid stations? At 178lbs, you are likely on the larger side compared to the other riders, either taller or 'thicker'. Times at Whistler might be faster due to the drafting, even for those of us that didn't draft. You get a boost every time you pass someone, 20-30 secs to follow their draft. If you pass 50 people in the ride, you can spend up to 25min in the draft. Penticton would have had less drafting due to the smalle field size. Whistler was also 2-2.5km short of 180km, adds ~4min to all of our times.

Also, can't forget the difference between power meters. Some might not be calibrated properly. Some just read higher than others.

I was 5:25 (including 2min stop). 214 ap, 231 np (1.08 VI). ~172lbs on race day, 1.25 w/lbs (2.75 w/kg).
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you; this helps. Fwiw, I have a muscular build and an average position. I held that position all day unless climbing. Lots of solitude on the flats.......one rider 30 meters in front, another 30 meters behind.

And yes, I gotta start thinking in metric.

Scott

Ps - those are fantastic numbers you put up, nice job! Gives me hope for the >170 crowd.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice roundup of the bike splits. Cool to see the different data points between riders. I'll add in that I did stop to use the loo on the Pemberton out and back. So my moving time on the garmin wa 5:47ish, but my split time was 5:50 overall. Puts me right there with Greg66.

Raf
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Raf thanks for your description. I will make sure I keep a copy of this for my attempt at IM Whistler next year.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [avagoyamug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
avagoyamug wrote:
I think for stronger riders the 11 is more important than the 28.

I went with 11-25 in Wistler and there was only that one switchback hill on the way to Pemberton that I felt like I needed another gear and that was over in 30 seconds anyway.

I was first AGer out of Pemberton, and 2nd into T2 and I used the 11 a lot. its essential for this course to be ridden fast IMO. I have always been of the opinion that they should provide an 11 with every power meter. If you are reducing your efforts up the hills all the time, but not increasing them on the downhills, then the pM might be making you slower!

Interesting point about the 11. As a point of reference, at IMLP, I can't think of a single place where you need the 11. The downhills are so steep that whether you have an 11 or 12 is irrelevent....you'd be coasting. At IM Tremblant (and 70.3 Tremblant) there are many gradual downhills where I felt that I could have used an 11. As a point of reference, I found a 12-28 10 speed Tiagara cassette on a 50-34, riding a Quarq at 185-188W range for my 2 IM's recently (which was right above 3W per kilo effort). If I was on a standard crank with 53 tooth, I don't think I'd need an 11. I might just flip over to an SRAM chain and 11-28 cassette for next year at Whistler based on what you are saying. It will probably help me at Tremblant...in fact, maybe I should do that before Kona too as the 50-12 has often felt too "small" for the downhill from Hawi with the tailwind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll throw mine in:

5:30 split @ 202 watts

165ilbs, 2009 P2, FC 404 front, FC 808 rear with aero helmet.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
raflopez wrote:
Nice roundup of the bike splits. Cool to see the different data points between riders. I'll add in that I did stop to use the loo on the Pemberton out and back. So my moving time on the garmin wa 5:47ish, but my split time was 5:50 overall. Puts me right there with Greg66.

Yes, interesting to see the results relative to weight/power. I added a few late entries to the table. It all makes sense now, with just the one outlier in our little sample.

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5h01 bike time, no power meter, 58 kg (128lbs); 176,5 km on my odometer. The course didn't have the full 180 km.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great data, the guys next year will love this... although the wind will make future comparisons useless.

I rode completely legal in Pemberton, although the 7m rule helps. I also only made one ~30 second stop at special needs and only slowed down for one aid station.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [owen.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to be sure, is everyone going on Normalized power or average power?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone else find the course to be 177K? My computer was close to each of the 20K splits including at 160K, but ended up showing 177K.

I think the last 20K section was actually 17k.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"No more hurting people - Peace"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Canada Whistler Bike Course Overview [bmas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, everyone is in the 177-178 range
Quote Reply

Prev Next