Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone! I have just competed at Ironman African Championships on Sunday, 15 April 2018 and WON the race. It was an amazing day for me overall and everything came together as I had planned in my training. This is my first thread on slowtwitch so I am excited to answer any of your questions you have about my day or products I use.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [Kylebuckingham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the victory!

Could you share your power file details and run pacing plan?

Jim Vance
http://TodaysPlan.com.au (Disclosure: I am contracted with Today's Plan)
http://www.CoachVance.com/
Twitter @jimvance
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [Kylebuckingham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats Kyle!! Exciting race to watch.

Feq Qs:
- how did you change your bike setup to accommodate the poooooor road surface on the bike?
- how did you pace the run? How fast do you star the first 10km in order to finish so strong?
- nutrition. What amount of carbs did you take on the bike and run?
- how do you make sure that the great whites dont eat you when are on the front pack in the swim :)

Thanks for the insights! Its always great when pros can share some of their secrets to us mortals!

—
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations!!!!! Winning on your home soil must have been incredible.
I remember you winning the AG race in Kona in 2013? I think before turning pro. I Was interested to see how you would progress in the pro ranks, so it’s Just brilliant to see you win your home IM.
I just wondered if you could shed some light on your training progression. How much of your improvement is down to consistency year after year, or have you changed your training a lot ?

Many thanks, and goo luck in Kona.

Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your fine win Kyle!

Nutrition - you still LCHF? Would be interested in your nutrition plan for the race, perhaps starting with the meals the day before race, pre-race/morning breakfast & what you consumed during the race in CHO/hr.

Was it 'train low / race high'?

Thanks mate!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [JimVance] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello Jim

Yes sure, please see my power file from the bike and run.

I maintained a constant power on the bike without burning to many matches, and without jeopardizing my run legs. HR was a bit higher than normal, not sure if it was reading correctly on the chest strap but most importantly I needed to listen to the feel as well.
Please excuse W/kg, didn’t have the correct setting on TP. Weight was 73kg before race. Also the distance is 180km on the bike leg, but my Garmin at one stage lost satellites.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...CL2JQXZZX6ZBRM7BDQK4

Run was 42.2km but I lapped my watch to late out of T2.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/...ULQCPWYMY42F6SDL7HQY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kylebuckingham wrote:
Hi everyone! I have just competed at Ironman African Championships on Sunday, 15 April 2018 and WON the race. It was an amazing day for me overall and everything came together as I had planned in my training. This is my first thread on slowtwitch so I am excited to answer any of your questions you have about my day or products I use.

How the fuck did a competitor end up at the bottom of the ocean with a tyre attached to him and it's determined it's? "unsuspicious circumstances"!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [JanneK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bike set up- I rode on the Dimond Bike, this was amazing because it took all the shock and vibration from the road surface away for good run legs.

- First 10k was a bit fast around 3:49 per km, I slowed it down after that and had to play a very patient game to not blow up.

- On the bike around 60g of carbs per hour, on the run not really sure but it was a lot of water. I’m lucky my salt sweat loss is very low.

- hahaha, Josh was way in front on the swim so he took care of them ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [endoverend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I’m still on the LCHF diet. Leading up I still maintained good fats but increased the Carbs to sweet potatoes, a bit of oats and some berries. Morning of, eggs, butter and black coffee with MCT oil.
I stuck to around 60 g of carbs per hour .

I guess it means, train your body to burn fat in training and in racing have some carbs for the top end stuff but at the same time your body can tap in fat for most of the day without having the bonk feeling.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello

In all honesty, its mostly down to consistency of all the years in training and being smart while racing. I haven’t changed that much apart from going LCHF which has made a big difference as well. The training is all very similar, but I guess going pro you have more time to focus on recovery which is a huge help.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our condolences go out to him and he’s family.
There is surveillance footage, the orthorities are dealing with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a fantastic race, it was truly amazing to see you cross the finish line, got severe goosebumps!
Is Kona the focus now that you're qualified and ready? Do you have any specific workouts you do to determine fitness?
What has the last week been like in terms of home town support?

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes Kona is definitely going to be the one I'll focus on from now on. I might do another IM soon but still chatting with the coach.
Specific training session to determine fitness, not really. We just know by doing the same workouts over and over that power gets continually improves And with lower/more consistent HR then I know I'm in good form.
The support has been unreal here, lots of messages , photos and messages saying I've inspired the up and coming kids.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Greetings from Panama Kyle! Many thanks for taking the time to engage with us and many many congrats on a brilliant win! This is one you will remember for a lifetime! Spectacular!

My questions is in regards to your race schedule 2018. You mentioned in one of your earlier answers you were looking at another 140.6
As you have locked up Kona 2018, would you consider not doing another IM, and keep yourself fresh and rested and race in 70.3s to get the racing still there and working on speed?

All the best to you Kyle, and your family! Congrats once again champ!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on a major win.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much đź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [Alfredo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much

Yes I am considering doing another IM. Last year I did IM Brazil champs 7 weeks after IM South Africa and it worked perfectly, and was actually in better form. I then took of 3 weeks totally, got back training, did 2 70's and Kona. I was really fit for Kona but unfortunately had a mechanical. That Break in June is great because I could also possibly race after Kona again before the December break.

Thanks for your question
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Kyle,

Here are my questions. Congrats on winning at hme:

• what is your open 5K and 10K time and what do you think you can do an open marathon in (relative to that 2:48 that you pulled off).
  • Also you were talking about the low carb diet and good fats, how many cals per hour on the bike and from what source
  • How many hours per week were you training average through the year and peak
  • How many km on your peak running week
  • Were you worried about Josh or anyone coming back or were you just trying to get it done and not cramp like PNF 100m from the finish line. Watching the live coverage even though you had a large lead in the final 2K it did not look like you let yourself do a 'victory lap' till the final 100m or so. Were you worried that "anything can happen and its not over till its over"?
  • Do you plan on racing 70.3 Worlds in PE before Kona
  • How long before Kona will you head over given the 12 hr flt to Europe, 10 to west coast and then 5 more to Hawaii and 13 hours of time zone shift?

Sorry for a novel worth of questions, but hey when you win, we're curious!!!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is great information. I’m interested in more detail on in-race nutrition. Ok, 60g/hr of carbs, but was that all? From gel, or as part of whole food, or a drink mix? Any protein or fat in-race, in addition to the carbs for top end? What about run nutrition?

Congratulations on your result, and thanks for doing this AMA!
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: CalamityJane88: Apr 21, 18 6:48
Quote | Reply

1.6 W/kg???

You sure don't look like a 150kg unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He said it’s not accurate and that he weighed in around 73kg.

https://twitter.com/mungub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for sharing your details.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job. After several years of falling apart on HC I switched to HFLC and I am a brand new man. You just moved to the top of my list of people to follow and cheer on. Looking forward to following your journey to KONA!!

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kylebuckingham wrote:
Bike set up- I rode on the Dimond Bike, this was amazing because it took all the shock and vibration from the road surface away for good run legs.

What tires did you run and at what pressure?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply

Prev Next