Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [Kylebuckingham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats, and thanks for doing this.

What kind of non SBR strength work do you do? How does that evolve as you approach an A or B race?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [Kylebuckingham] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you tell us about your swim training??? Did you swim as a kid growing up??? What are your current best times in the pool for 200, 400, 800, and/or 1500 scm free??? Do you swim all free or mix in the other strokes on some days??? How many meters per day and per week typically??? Do you do any dry land training for swimming, e.g. weights, stretch cords, and/or Vasa or Halo trainers???

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race,Well done
Thanks for the activity feed
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello

- My first 5km I was running around 3:48 per km, I went through 10k at avg of 3:51 per km.
- I have a endurade nutritech electrolyte drink that I have and bars, stick to 60 g an hr. Run just coke and water, not sure the ratio just on feel.
- From December till the race I avg 27hrs a week, with most weeks hitting 30hrs.
- 80km
- Just really was focusing on myself and getting in all the fluids, I quite lucky I dont really cramp because of my low salt sweat loss. I was a little worried the last 6km because it really started to hurt a lot , but at the same time the last 2km I really slowed it down and nearly came to a stop because I wanted to make sure I wasn’t dreaming ;) In all honesty i was shocked that I was just about to win a Championship race in my home town. I wanted to also try remember the last km , right now I wish could relive the moment a bit.
- Yes I am planning but I still need to qualify, Kona for me is the real big focus.
- We will be in the US at the end of July to Kona, been doing this the past 4 years living out of Arizona, but this year we might try Boulder again.

Thanks for your questions and support
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

I worked with a personal trainer in December and January to get a good strong foundation. This include lots of one legged work and stability/ lots of hamstring work as well . I carried on with 2 core sessions a week from Feb till the race just to keep things topped off. I do a lot of stretching at home as well. I try do 3hrs a week on core and stretching and rolling.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [triblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much

Yes that’s about all, I had an electrolyte drink and bars on the bike, and coke and water on the run. Not sure the ratio on the run , it was more on feel. I just know that my body is well fat adapted from training low , so it taps into fat a lot without having the bonk feeling. You really only feel this happen in the last 2hrs of the race, that’s where the big difference happens, well for me .
In the morning I had eggs, butter , coffee and MCT . That’s gave me enough before the race.
I used carbs drink mix just for the top end stuff when I needed the surge and lots of water.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [Pacifico Clara] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello

I use Nutritech ENDURADE drink and bars. And coke, water on run.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry that was wrong, I had my settings on TP wrong. My weight before the race was 73kg.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much, it’s definitely a life changer.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

-No I didn’t swim as a kid. I started surfing a lot from the age of 14-19 before moving and living in London.
Yes I swim around 20km a week, this was the focus on the race as follows:
1x Speed session like 50 sprints , up to 60 leaving on 45 sec
1x technique 5-6km session just focusing on drills
1x open water , there was a race every 2 weeks where I live.
1x strength session and a lot of band only work. Long sets like 400’s
1x tempo/threshold (200-300’s)

-200- 2:14
-400- 4:42
-800- 9:30
-1500 not sure
-did a 2.5km open water race the week before in 30min around 1:15 avg per 100m
- Mainly free and back stroke when going easy/cool down
-No not really, I do just warm up the arms before jumping in. I do warm up the arms on race morning with cords because we weren’t aloud to warm up in the ocean.

Absolutely correct and totally agree

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mentioned a LCHF diet... how long have you been doing this? How rough was the transition? Any advice for someone considering it?

Also, congrats on the win!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi there

I've been doing LCHF since Nov 2016. It took me 8 weeks to adjust which was great because 4 weeks of it I was off training on a break , those next 4 weeks of training were tough but then after that it was incredible of what I could do just in no carbs .
I would advise trying it when you have a break , then when you start, go 120g of carbs per day, then drop 10g of carbs a day till you get to 50-80 a day.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [Toefuzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you switch , make sure you getting lots of fats with a little bit of protein to take the hunger away. And you need to up your salt, because when on glycogen it stores the salt, on LCHF not so much. 60G Fat,30Protein,10g carbs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kylebuckingham wrote:
Hi
-No I didn’t swim as a kid. I started surfing a lot from the age of 14-19 before moving and living in London.
Yes I swim around 20km a week, this was the focus on the race as follows:
1x Speed session like 50 sprints , up to 60 leaving on 45 sec
1x technique 5-6km session just focusing on drills
1x open water , there was a race every 2 weeks where I live.
1x strength session and a lot of band only work. Long sets like 400’s
1x tempo/threshold (200-300’s)
-200- 2:14
-400- 4:42
-800- 9:30
-1500 not sure
-did a 2.5km open water race the week before in 30min around 1:15 avg per 100m
- Mainly free and back stroke when going easy/cool down
-No not really, I do just warm up the arms before jumping in. I do warm up the arms on race morning with cords because we weren’t aloud to warm up in the ocean.
Absolutely correct and totally agree
Thanks

Kyle - Thanks for the detailed answer!!! You're swimming quite well for a surfer dude, only 2 min behind Amberger is outstanding!!! Good luck in your future races and thanks again for the details!!!

Cheers,

Eric

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks... as a middle-aged and overweight back of the pack athlete who does well on low carb in terms of weight loss I’ve been tossing around the idea of how to combine that with training. I have a few stupid long events lined up for the next 3-6 weeks but after that I might give this a shot.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [mungub50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mungub50 wrote:
He said it’s not accurate and that he weighed in around 73kg.

hah - indeed .. perhaps I should learn how to read :-P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kylebuckingham wrote:
Hello

- My first 5km I was running around 3:48 per km, I went through 10k at avg of 3:51 per km.
- I have a endurade nutritech electrolyte drink that I have and bars, stick to 60 g an hr. Run just coke and water, not sure the ratio just on feel.
- From December till the race I avg 27hrs a week, with most weeks hitting 30hrs.
- 80km
- Just really was focusing on myself and getting in all the fluids, I quite lucky I dont really cramp because of my low salt sweat loss. I was a little worried the last 6km because it really started to hurt a lot , but at the same time the last 2km I really slowed it down and nearly came to a stop because I wanted to make sure I wasn’t dreaming ;) In all honesty i was shocked that I was just about to win a Championship race in my home town. I wanted to also try remember the last km , right now I wish could relive the moment a bit.
- Yes I am planning but I still need to qualify, Kona for me is the real big focus.
- We will be in the US at the end of July to Kona, been doing this the past 4 years living out of Arizona, but this year we might try Boulder again.

Thanks for your questions and support

Thanks for the detailed info. Looks like the fast run split was largely achieved on a relatively "low" running program, but having a massive aerobic based from swim-bike from those 27-30 hour weeks. How much do you think your high fat low carb diet also contributes to sparing glycogen utilization during swim + bike. By the way, if you are in Boulder in Aug fellow South African, Ultraman Rob Gray is on the same type of diet so you guy can eat together.

By the way, still curious about your OPEN 5k and 10k times, not times inside an Ironman. I am trying to understand if your 2:48 run comes from fleet open running speed or via your efficiency in swim+bike allowing you to run at a higher percentage of your open speed than others. I THINK you are in this category. Let me give you an example. Frodo's best Kona is "only" 2:47...granted in more humid conditions than PE....he has gone pretty blazing fast in Roth on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great work, Kyle! How did you learn to do HFLC? Did somebody teach you or did you learn all on your own?

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kylebuckingham wrote:
Bike set up- I rode on the Dimond Bike, this was amazing because it took all the shock and vibration from the road surface away for good run legs.

- First 10k was a bit fast around 3:49 per km, I slowed it down after that and had to play a very patient game to not blow up.

- On the bike around 60g of carbs per hour, on the run not really sure but it was a lot of water. I’m lucky my salt sweat loss is very low.

- hahaha, Josh was way in front on the swim so he took care of them ;)

Yeah, but I want to know if you even thought about sharks during the swim? I did IMSA 2017, and being an old MOP swimmer, I damn sure thought about them and was glad to get out of the water in one piece. Apart from that, congrats on the big win!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello

I ride the Mavic Tubular tyres 25mm and 95psi on both .
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

I got chatting with Paul Laursen at Plews & Prof and we've been working together. Paul has been great with this from the start.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah ok

No I didn't think of them.
I've been surfing in that bay since I was 14 years old, never seen a shark while surfing or swimming and there has never been a shark attack.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry 5k not sure , 10k 35:30 but I've never really done a 10k race per se , so o think I could run maybe a little quicker. I think you absolutely correct, being more efficient on swim and bike makes me run so much better. I used to bike way to hard and it messed my run up. Also biking a lot more and creating a bigger base really helps my run even more.

I definitely think the LCHF spares the glycogen levels because at Ironman pace especially on the bike is around 145 HR putting me in the low tempo zone right in the perfect zone for fat burning. Then when I need to surge on bike or to chase down that's when it kicks in and then helps with the run as well.

Awesome probably coming to Boulder again this year đź‘Ť
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kylebuckingham wrote:
Sorry 5k not sure , 10k 35:30 but I've never really done a 10k race per se , so o think I could run maybe a little quicker. I think you absolutely correct, being more efficient on swim and bike makes me run so much better. I used to bike way to hard and it messed my run up. Also biking a lot more and creating a bigger base really helps my run even more.

I definitely think the LCHF spares the glycogen levels because at Ironman pace especially on the bike is around 145 HR putting me in the low tempo zone right in the perfect zone for fat burning. Then when I need to surge on bike or to chase down that's when it kicks in and then helps with the run as well.

Awesome probably coming to Boulder again this year đź‘Ť

Did you have this speed prior to going LCHF?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman African Championships, Ask me anything [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ping on my question above
Quote Reply

Prev Next