Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [davidrippon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard 800ish to break even.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All I know is that I was rather excited to see the news on my lunch break today. I want to do my first full-distance in 2012, and what a venue it would be in the city. But, alas, I'm super frugal, and will probably opt for Rev3 Cedar Point or the Montreal Esprit just because they're cheaper. I can only imagine what WTC will charge for this, so I might have to continue my 5 year long stretch of never racing one of their events. I also thought about the heat; it can get pretty hot in the city on a nice August afternoon!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [bltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was interested in seeing what the course was going to be like. As for spectators, this one is awful. If you go and see your racer off at the beginning of the race, you somehow have to get yourself to the exit...then do you stay there to watch them come in from the bike and then head out of the run...in which you then have to cross the GWB to get to the finish line....considering there is not much parking in NY, how are you going to get there...bus? shuttle? taxi?... So you finish the race in NY, but your swim and bike is over in NJ..do you really feel like walking back there to go and get your stuff after the race????

Plus August for a race in New York? Talk about HUMID......Plus what is the "U.S. Championship" all about? When I first read that, I thought it was going to be a race that you would have to qualify for?..i.e. winners from IMFL, IMAZ, etc would then go to NY to complete for the US championship.....doesn't sound that way to me...

Just my thoughts.

Mr Steve
2009 IMFL Finisher
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [mrevets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus what is the "U.S. Championship" all about?

That's the WTC's way of saying to the Pro's that they are going to have a totally awesome prize purse!!

$10,000.00 total split 5 deep between the men and womens.

And I'll bet you think I'm kidding, dontcha.........?

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Add another zero Mojo...

http://ironmanuschampionship.com/...tes/about-the-event/

You just made me sick to my stomach and I hardly ate anything today.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [trichris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow!!

One Hundred Thousand Dollars!!

Really!?!?

I could make more than that at the local Bow Fishing Tournament.......

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm quite shocked they didn't go with Sept 11.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [undertheradar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Umm.... that would be a Tuesday.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [gboulouk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gboulouk wrote:

Would be interesting to see the course for this. What do you shutdown in NYC for the duration of the race?

"World Triathlon Corporation is close to bringing an Ironman race to New York City as it seeks to capitalize on the growth of endurance sports among financial professionals.
The group is in negotiations with city officials about staging its marquee event in Manhattan, said Steve Meckfessel, chief operating officer of World Triathlon, which owns and operates Ironman events."
http://www.bloomberg.com/...posed-nyc-event.html

BET entry will be over $1000.. Did you read that promo crap about avg income of ironman triathletes $162,000.. thats so far off and made up.
all it takes(out of 2000 people are a few execs or famous people with millions in income(just a few) or using household income when 2 married athletes who race and using combined income for each participant.
Someone needs to do a real number crunch... Its crap like thats made a once enjoyable affordable sport into POLO at the club type sport for the rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mojozenmaster wrote:
Wow!! One Hundred Thousand Dollars!! Really!?!?

Assuming an entry fee of $750 for 2,500 participants, then the $100k represents 5% of the entry-fee revenue.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [marky_sparky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am actually looking forward to what the volunteer options will be. I don't know if I'll race it (knee and all) but I wish the best of luck to Korff and WTC in getting this thing going.

So, which tri store will sponsor the race, SBR or JackRabbit? Or will it be R&A?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [toebutt769] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder where all this kona slots for this and the new IM canada race are coming from?

Too much more focus on the US and then Kona could end up like the Baseball "World" Series.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
davidrippon wrote:
I have spent the past five years training on the same course that will be used for this race and am quite shocked that Ironman decided to bring this race to Upper Manhattan. Good news: Bike Course will be great.

Do you work for the PIP or how do you "train on the course"?
Will the PIP be paved?

Quote | Reply
Agreed!! Even if the entry fee is $800 - not having to stay in a hotel with a five night minimum, eating out for every meal, travel cost, etc. saves THOUSANDS!!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [mrevets] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loved ones are going to have a tough time watching the start in New Jersey and then making it to Manhattan. There is very, very limited public transportation from the start to Manhattan. Getting from New Jersey to New York via the GW that day is going to be nigh impossible. The traffic jam on the 95/GW that day will be epic. Walking across the bridge also won't work because it will only be only open to racers. If they are smart, they will run a ferry from the start to the finish for volunteers and loved ones. I expect the number of people watching in New Jersey to be very small. They will get a big crowd at the finish.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddave wrote:
I wonder where all this kona slots for this and the new IM canada race are coming from?

Too much more focus on the US and then Kona could end up like the Baseball "World" Series.

They could rob the extra slots in IM Texas that they used to kick off the race, get rid of the general lottery and then the State of Hawaii and big island (which are now lottery) slots (I'd bet on the latter after this year). Or they can do what Paula stated publicly she wished at an IM race in Noth America last year and move the race fom Kona to elsewhere. Maybe somewhere that has more room fo more bicycles and swimmers. Maybe Germany ;)

Your point is well made though. WTC has lost a lot of overseas races, Malaysia, Japan, Korea, China (?). Perhaps the new head of WTC will make a few changes that might make the race series more global as well as a bit friendlier to those that pay the bills (age groupers).

Oh and WTC can't copyright o trademark World Championship, Rec3 or Challenge could just as easily have a World Championship as well.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Last edited by: KonaCoffee: Jun 8, 11 7:13
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [toebutt769] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet Strictly gets it, if anyone. Its incredibly close to transition.

"One Line Robert"
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Ironmom1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironmom1 wrote:
Agreed!! Even if the entry fee is $800 - not having to stay in a hotel with a five night minimum, eating out for every meal, travel cost, etc. saves THOUSANDS!!

it would essentially still have all the benefits of the NYCTRI; close to home, racing on your training grounds, and this time, not having to deal with all the Central Park pedestrians. Also, Ironman NJ or Ironman Palisades probably doesn't have the same attraction as IronmanNYC. I'm dropping $600, plus $1000 for my split share of an apartment for lake placid, plus gas and tolls having to take food with you, or trust local suggestions. $800 would be worth it here, and I can get my Fresco Tortilla for dinner the night before race day like I always do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next