Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [gboulouk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The oeople at the WTC saw my awesome thread from the other day and have decided to pull the trigger and make an 'announcement' although nothing is final......

Coincidence?

No.

Seriously, why today if they've been working on it for the last 3-7 years?

Because of me and my awesome powers of manipulation, that's why. (thanks for the platform Slowman)

I think it's a great idea and I want my entry fee comp'd.

A little hint to the folks at WTC: It's probably a good idea to have a 'Wall Street' size Pro Prize purse for this event rather than the bird-seed you have been paying out lately. Anything less is probably not a good idea.

Just sayin............

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Rhymenocerus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Target towards cash heavy yuppies for sure. Pretty much all IMs do this, but the venue here will attract all the NYC/DC fat cats"

Huh? Somehow you think that a NYC based race will attrack Wall Streeters but a Lake Placid based race won't? So, it's just a 5 hour drive that keeps a fat cat away from doing an Ironman? Don't think so.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [David in NY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be cool if they put a qualifying time like say 12hrs(obtainable for more people than KQ) on the event. Kinda like a BQ scenario.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [gasman2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wouldnt that basically cut into the potential customer base that WTC wants to have in it's events? I'm not sure if every race has the same standard 17ish hour (I know IM Louisville is kinda weird time trial cut off), but I'm guessing, they'd scoff at the idea of putting in an time limit (especailly 12 hours).

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [brooks@AllOut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they would still sell out easily. Plus with faster racers it would decrease the lenght of time roads would be shut down. Boston has no trouble filling its race with their qualifying times. Plus in the IM community it would become somewhat of a badge of honor to complete IMNY(not quite to the level of Kona but a more realistic goal for most people-alot like Boston Marathon)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reading the comments in this thread reminds me of the old adage, "Winners find solutions to the problems, losers find problems with the solutions."
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [gasman2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So what do you do to the 1st time IMer? They are automatically ineligible?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know it won't happen, but I want this IM to have a shutdown time at 12 hours (7pm). It would still sell out.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know it won't happen, but I want this IM to have a shutdown time at 12 hours (7pm). It would still sell out.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I agree it would still sell out.

As for the 12hrs shutdown that would cut most 50+ AG out. I agree 17hrs is a long time but there are people racing into their 70's some 80's and for them that 17hrs might not seem so long.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Last edited by: Longboarder: May 11, 11 19:11
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [David in NY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David in NY wrote:
Supposedly, the bike will be largely 9W and all of the areas we know so well north and west of the City.... The run would start on the NJ side of the Bridge, cross the Bridge and head down the Hudson Greenway. Don't know how they get 26.2 miles, but that's the gist.

Almost. Palisades Interstate Highway for the bike. Ross Dock as T1 and T2 and maybe even the start.

Most of you have no idea. Many things are not even nearly what they seem.

Entry fee? Best guess is 1k.

Last edited by: uli: May 12, 11 4:36
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm not sure about other races, but i believe the year after i completed IM Germany (frankfurt), the cut-off time went down to 15 hours. i heard it was b/c of the noise going on too late in the city center. maybe NY can have something similar? finish in time square under 13 hours!?

http://www.ironman.de/english/faq_en.htm

Q: Which time limits apply for the different legs of the race?
A: The swim leg has to be completed in 2:20 hours after the start, the first bike lap (96k) has to be completed until 01:00pm, the whole bike leg 10 hours after the start and the cut-off time for the Finish Line is at 10pm. This means the time limit for the whole race is 15 hours (end of the race is at 10:00 pm).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Maybe.

Personally, I don't have a problem with that.

Although, this is turning back on a vibe in the sport of lets'-include-everyone and everyone's-a-winner that has existed since almost day one. Consequently, you are going to get a HUGE backlash if you try to do anything like this and almost everyone will have a story and a rant how they don't like it.

What this has lead to is the feeling of entitlement for just about everyone in the sport that, in theory, there should be a spot on the starting line of every triathlon in the world for me and that I can enter any race that I want to.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like that idea!

This event WILL work. It will take some logistical work, but it's possible. I'm sure the race will go through NJ, upstate NY, Long Island, heck maybe even CT...but it will happen. WTC is sitting on a gold mine here.

And making a qualifying time is a great idea. Maybe 12hrs is too steep, but 13-14 is doable.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Maybe.

Personally, I don't have a problem with that.

Although, this is turning back on a vibe in the sport of lets'-include-everyone and everyone's-a-winner that has existed since almost day one. Consequently, you are going to get a HUGE backlash if you try to do anything like this and almost everyone will have a story and a rant how they don't like it.

What this has lead to is the feeling of entitlement for just about everyone in the sport that, in theory, there should be a spot on the starting line of every triathlon in the world for me and that I can enter any race that I want to.

Exactly, and the reason I feel like an time qualifier at an American IM (this aint Kona, and far from it), just almost seems to go against everything WTC wants to stand for. Hell, but why even keep it specific to this event? I simply think with WTC running the show and it being potentially in NYC that they will get enough pull and/or can create an course where there is no need for time restraints. While it may be true that an 12 hour time limit would still fill up, what that also does is basically cut out an % of people that may just tell WTC to screw themselves and not do any more of their events (or do their 1st IM event). With WTC so business minded, I just have a very very very hard time seeing them put in such an aggresive time limit.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [bryan913] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It would be an amazing event if it is pulled off correctly. Born in NYC and grew up in Middlesex county, biking the Driscol bridge would be cool. With how wide the bridge is I would think they could hold it on Sunday after Labor day without too much interuption to traffic.

Any idea as to when during the year it would happen? With IMLP in July I think a early fall timing would be good? Mid to late September maybe. I think the qualifying idea is good I am sure there will be a exceptions just like Kona but overall a good idea. For first timers they could be allowed to sign up but required to do a 1/2 IM under a certain time before race day.

Who knows but this will be interesting and hopefully be good for the sport.

Best,
GS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just have a very very very hard time seeing them put in such an aggresive time limit.

Perhaps they will have no choice. Maybe that will be mandated by their permits from NYC. Just speculating here.

With all due respect you have taken the view here that every IM race has to be the same. That other than the venue, you have to put them all in this box. All the IM races must be this way. Why?

Back in the late '90's when IMC was still the only continental IM race in North America and the entries were starting to overwhelm the event, it was floated that maybe half the entries would be qualifiers. All hell broke loose on the forums and message boards of the day. Seriously. It was a firestorm. I was a bit taken aback by the passion, ownership and sense of entitlement that so many had regarding IMC. Of course the event never went down that road.

The thing is now people have a choice - there are other IM races in North America than you can do. This potential NYC IM is not the only IM race around.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: May 12, 11 6:42
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [rockfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Any idea as to when during the year it would happen? With IMLP in July I think a early fall timing would be good? Mid to late September maybe"

Wouldn't that complete with Vegas and Kona - not to mention there is a great 1/2 just outside of NYC (this could cause permitting problems??) - Toughman in mid September.

I'd think/hope they would go more for mid-late June (they have no North East races then)
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not taking the view of anything, other than a business mindset that is my prediction that there is no way in hell IMNY will have a 12 hour time limit. That cuts out a very large large percentage of the consumers it can potentially get and keep (as you say IM isnt the only race on the block anymore, so to think they'll cut out potential 1st time IMer's to me, I just dont see it happening).

You talk like there are ten different IM time requirements, and that I'm stuck on the 17 hour time gap. Well, let me see, how many NA IM's are there, and how many IM's have the same time limit (both WTC and non-IM races;edit: Every endurance race is simply cookie cuttered both WTC and non-WTC, the only difference is the venue; it's the same swim distance, same bike distance, same run distance; it is what it is for 99% of "ironman" race distances).

I'm putting them in a box, becuase it works for WTC. I'm not saying it should/shouldnt be a time limit, more or along the lines, that I have a very very hard time seeing WTC actually implement an different race standard. If they do, it'll be among a few times they actually are outside of the box.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Last edited by: brooks@AllOut: May 12, 11 7:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone considered if this is the death of IMLP? I understand the WTC contract with Lake Placid is up in2013. I have family that lives in Placid and the locals up there are growing weary of the bicycle havoc created every summer weekend by self absorbed Ironman wannabes. While WTC certainly has put races in close proximities (CDA and Penticton, Tempe and St. George), it would seem odd to put two in the same state (even if you cannot find two parts of a single state more different than LP and NYC). Oh...and I have not seen anyone mention JUST how pleasant NYC is in mid-summer. The lovely smell and nice warm moist air of NYC on a July afternoon is something to be appreciated.

Still, the race would be epic. As would a race in Boston, Chicago, San Fran or any other major city. I wonder if this is a trend toward a new market given the high pitched rumors of an impending Ironman 70.3 DC. Imagine....Ironman London or Ironman Paris. Now THAT would be cool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really directed at you. Ironman Japan had a 15 hour time limit. So, there is WTC precedent.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brooks@AllOut wrote:
I'm not taking the view of anything, other than a business mindset that is my prediction that there is no way in hell IMNY will have a 12 hour time limit. That cuts out a very large large percentage of the consumers it can potentially get and keep (as you say IM isnt the only race on the block anymore, so to think they'll cut out potential 1st time IMer's to me, I just dont see it happening).

Even with a 12hr cutoff they'd still sell out a NYC pretty easily. As a business, why wouldn't they want to make the same amount of money in less time, less hassle and keeping the city happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [stitchboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stitchboy wrote:
Not really directed at you. Ironman Japan had a 15 hour time limit. So, there is WTC precedent.
-----------
Ironman Canada used to have a 15 hr time limit as well until they changed it to 17hrs in the mid '90's

----------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm from NYC, but have no interest in a home IM. The swim will be dirty, and the roads full of pot holes. If they can use the route to the GWB, and up 9W, that might make it better. But loops in CP, or through the Brooklyn, Queens, no way. There will be many DNF's from running out of tubes/tires. Though the run could be fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer86 wrote:
This is from the USAT website. it's probably 2 year old info...

Income
Average income: $126,000

12.9% have incomes under $50K
14.5% have incomes $50-74,999
16% have incomes $75-$99,999
23.4% have incomes $100-$149,999
12.1% have incomes $150-$199,999
8.4% have incomes $200-$299,999
5.5% have incomes over $300K

edit to add link: http://www.usatriathlon.org/about-usat/demographics

I knew I didn't make enough to be participating in these sports. It's amusing to see some complain about the entry fee (which I also agree it's insanely high, but I suppose I can justify the cost in respect to the "safety" the organizers provide) and some ridicule others to suck it up when they gripe about how expensive the bikes are these days (I wonder what the overlap is in terms of people complaining about entry fees and owners of "expensive" bikes).

2009 Cannondale CAAD9
2011-First year at Tri; 2012-HIM; 2013-IM
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman 140.6 in NYC [kiwi.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If/when wtc puts in a 12 hour time requirement, I'll gladly give props to them for going "outside the box" and admit I didn't think they would do that (that I was wrong). Until that happens, I'll have my doubts with it, knowing now people can do an 70.3 "ironman". I just have my doubts that they would put such an aggressive limit into it's race, meaning no 1st timers, older age groups would have limited access, etc.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply

Prev Next